Sufficiently Interesting?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Sufficiently Interesting?

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Player 1, 27 hours ago your world ended. Your parents were murdered in anger as they disagreed with the Sorcerers Revenge advocated by the Federation of Magic. In the Great Hall of Compromise they were subdued with magic and were among the first victims of the Blood Storm. As the demon hoard poured through the rift and slew all who opposed them, you knew that you outmatched and had no chance, regardless of your training in the ruins of the City of Glass. You had to escape, you had to warn the world, and you wanted to have revenge…revenge on the creatures that you been trained to hunt…revenge on the creatures that were the reason that your family had come to this sickened land. Grabbing the first vehicle you came across, you drove south through burning cityscapes and ambushes, not stopping until you ran out of gas on an ancient road leading to an overgrown concrete bunker of a lost-tech techno-crypt.

Player 2, your world ended 26 hours ago with the Blood Storm rampaging through the streets, gaining power by killing and consuming thousands of civilians, until 300 megatons worth of nuclear weapons began detonating. The nuclear fury unleashed was enough to vaporize the several million sentient beings still in the city and the thousands of demons unleased by the Blood Storm ritual. With the five year defense of Tolkeen finally destroyed in radioactive fires, multiple divisions of Coalition States armored forces assaulted en masse, lasers, missiles and plasma destroying those defenders that still lived. As a loyal soldier betrayed by the Federation and defeated by the Coalition, you took heed of the final command before your leaders were murdered by demons, “Honor your oaths! Die with honor or survive this betrayal to gain vengeance! Good hunting, ... and good luck. You’re on your own” The past 26 hours you have survived, barely, but none of your compatriots have…your cyberknight team leader Sir Kies was ripped apart by demons covering your escape; your lightning dragon mentor Rex Fulgar took the missile volley meant for you; the mercenary Miriam Exodus died in the last firefight against the Federation necromancers…her regeneration was not enough to survive her cybernetic skeleton ripped from her flesh and your healing was not strong enough, and finally you thought you would die when you were ambushed alone by the Valkyrie, one of the most feared powered armor pilots the CS has. You lost an arm and a leg before she thought you were dead and buried in the rubble of a six-story building. Nine hours later you clawed your way out, covered in blood and slightly insane. You moved south in a bloodthirsty rage slaying all in your way regardless of affiliation until you collapsed near the overgrown mound of an ancient technocrpyt.

Player 3, your world ended 8 hours ago. You saw the light flash across the sky, you heard the explosions a hundred miles away, you felt the heat on your exposed skin, the wind blew across the land with the force of a hurricane. You knew your world had changed. You were hired to get the XXX to the Spirit Talker of the Santee near Tolkeen, and you knew there was almost no chance that you could actually complete your mission, but you continued onward. You found the village as you knew you would, but as you feared, no one was alive. The villagers had been torn open, hearts ripped out, by claws or by teeth within the last hour? You searched for survivors and prepared to quickly leave the area as the creatures responsible for this massacre were definitely still in the area when the ancient Spirit Talker Shaman touched you and spoke a word. At that moment his spell was complete, sacrificing his life to ensure the ritual. Your body exploded in electric agony as the Thunderbird dove from the heavens and incarnated in you. The spirit has bonded with you in order for you to find those responsible for the death of the Santee people, and you now the chosen instrument of vengeance. Finally recovering, you staggered away from the carrion village, fighting the unseen demons, willing your body to continue until you came to an ancient techno crypt. You are too tired to care that there are others near the doorway, all you can do is move slowly out of the forest towards the overgrown concrete bunker.

---------------------
Player 1 is an Elven Rogue Scholar
Player 2 is a Dragon Hatchling
Player 3 is a Wilderness Scout

The game is set just after the CS victory over Tolkeen...with a bit of obvious changes in the timeline and some different names for stuff...pay that no mind ;) None of these players have ever played Rifts before so none of the changes in lore/setting will affect any of them. They have all played PRG's before, generally D&D 3.x, BRP and Star Wars D20, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get them into the rules of Rifts.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Greepnak
Explorer

Re: Sufficiently Interesting?

Unread post by Greepnak »

I like it a lot!
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Sounds like the start of an epic tale!
slade the sniper
Hero

The game is going to totally sandbox so they are going to get that intro, then meet Max the sole surviving CS officer of a 4 man recon team to the techno crypt that was just ambushed by some CS SOF goons on the payroll of Colonel Lyboc...and then some Federation of Magic goons will show up who are wanting to silence the elf and that way they get drawn into the machinations of the Federation who are trying to cover up their less than successful demon summoning shenanigans and the Coalition (not to be outdone in the villainy arena) will see these individuals (and the NPC officer) as pawns/targets in a vicious political game between Colonel Lyboc and General Drogue.

Should be interesting. Got the NPCs all done, got maps all done, got timelines all done...got the printer fixed to print out the character sheets (I kinda had to make pre-made characters with their input since they looked at the book and basically said "how about if I just tell you what you I want?"). I am now looking for a "title track" song for this campaign. It is a thing we do when we game...acts just like it sounds...we play a song right before we game as we get the dice ready and when the song stops, we start. Other songs we have used are By Any Means Necessary by Hammerfall for our D&D Epic Drow Bros campaign, No Rest for the Wicked by Cage the Elephant for our Star Wars Imperial Troubleshooters, Southside by Moby for our Call of Cthulhu 1920's campaign...and The Worst Pirate in the World for our Age of Sail campaign.

Willing to accept any recommendations for this campaign's title track.

I'll keep you posted.

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Razzinold
Hero

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica ?
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by SycophantNagaraja »

The Terminator theme song
http://prophetx.deviantart.com

"You did 264 MD to the guys head, and you think you could capture his helmet intact?" - Killer Cyborg
I just remembered, I forgot the rule of headshots doing x2 damage. That should have been 528MD." -Lord_Coake
slade the sniper
Hero

First three songs for mood:
Intro: Make my Day – Terminator
Description of each character’s history: Centuries – Fall out boy
Description of the battle scene: Counting bodies like sheep – A Perfect Circle

I got the theme songs for some of my villains, played when they show up:

Supervillain – Powerman 5000: COL Lyboc
American Witch – Rob Zombie: Theme song for Federation of Magic evil witch
Tear you apart - She Wants Revenge: Evil shadow familiar
Nemesis- Shriekback: General Drogue
Werewolf Baby – Rob Zombie: Loup Garou female hunter
Money – Escape the Fate: Willard and his Goons
Sick Love Song – Motley Crue: General Kira Shrike
No Son of Mine - Genesis: Colonel von Queren

-STS
slade the sniper
Hero

Game played, and it was sufficiently enjoyable. The quote of the night was "We have an APC and gold Trans Am, we are not taking on the Lurker in the Deep."

The group now has two AI's, 14 clone children, a refugee CS Lieutenant, and the aforementioned APC and gold Trans Am. After blowing up a pre-Rifts Techno Crypt, they are heading into the Spirit West to hide from the CS and the Federation of Magic. Never played in the Spirit West before...

The FOM still wants to kill the dragon and the elf for surviving the Sorcerer's Revenge/Blood Storm. The CS still wants to kill Max (the LT) for being his father’s son. The FOM also wants to kill all of them for blowing up the cloning tech (make your own sacrifices!) and for killing their 2 teams of assassins. The CS also wants to kill all of them for blowing up their three recovery teams and for blowing up the cloning tech, the replicator tech AND the anti-matter reactor tech.

-STS
Razzinold
Hero

slade the sniper wrote:Game played, and it was sufficiently enjoyable. The quote of the night was "We have an APC and

slade the sniper wrote:gold Trans Am

:nh: Your group needs to get that Trans AM painted black, immediately.
How can they live out every mans fantasy of Smokey and the Bandit in a gold TA ? :lol:
slade the sniper wrote:, we are not taking on the Lurker in the Deep."

The group now has two AI's, 14 clone children, a refugee CS Lieutenant, and the aforementioned APC and gold Trans Am. After blowing up a pre-Rifts Techno Crypt, they are heading into the Spirit West to hide from the CS and the Federation of Magic. Never played in the Spirit West before...

The FOM still wants to kill the dragon and the elf for surviving the Sorcerer's Revenge/Blood Storm. The CS still wants to kill Max (the LT) for being his father’s son. The FOM also wants to kill all of them for blowing up the cloning tech (make your own sacrifices!) and for killing their 2 teams of assassins. The CS also wants to kill all of them for blowing up their three recovery teams and for blowing up the cloning tech, the replicator tech AND the anti-matter reactor tech.

-STS
slade the sniper
Hero

I was going to give them a black Trans Am, but since that movie is one of my daughter's favorites, I had her character find a gold one. Their plan is to trick it out into a black Mad Max Trans Am...with one of the AI's controlling it, like KITT but "cooler." I still don't think a Black Trans Am will help them too much underwater...

Next adventure is running away from the CS and FoM groups looking for them towards the Spirit West and an encounter with a pair of angry adult dragon parents and an old shaman possessed by the fragment of a Nightlord. Will the dragon take up the offer he can't refuse and the elf exorcist help the shaman?

-STS
Razzinold
Hero

slade the sniper wrote:I was going to give them a black Trans Am, but since that movie is one of my daughter's favorites, I had her character find a gold one. Their plan is to trick it out into a black Mad Max Trans Am...with one of the AI's controlling it, like KITT but "cooler." I still don't think a Black Trans Am will help them too much underwater...

Next adventure is running away from the CS and FoM groups looking for them towards the Spirit West and an encounter with a pair of angry adult dragon parents and an old shaman possessed by the fragment of a Nightlord. Will the dragon take up the offer he can't refuse and the elf exorcist help the shaman?

-STS

Well if you wanted them to "Mad Max" it up then you should have just let them find a 1973 Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe.
But that's besides the point, can't wait to hear how they trick out their car.

Speaking of cars from movies/t.v. I just moved on the weekend and on Sunday a guy rolled through town in a replica of the General Lee.
slade the sniper
Hero

The Trans Am is now black with a lift kit...and a cupola rail gun... (like this, minus the rail gun).

Also, I think I absolutely jacked up in my GM-ing skills. I had the group being chased by Kyle Wilport and his goons...and the group was in the midst of a multi-day full on chase scene across the Great Plains...and then on day two at nightfall, the PC's rolled off the side the vehicles where they though the enemy would have to make camp because "it's been two days, they have to poop eventually!" And, well they try to take the bear (Titan) hostage to interrogate him...while he is relieving himself and three hours of roleplaying hijinks later, the group basically makes friends with Wilport, just in time for the ravening vampire horde to attack...

So, now the PC's have to:
1) live through vampire horde attack
2) if Wilport and his target live through the attack, figure out a way for Wilport (who I ended up playing like a knife loving Eric Roberts in the Mr. Brightside video) and the PCs to stay on good terms...or have a big gunfight with whatever ammo is left over as dawn breaks.

-STS
Razzinold
Hero

slade the sniper wrote:The Trans Am is now black with a lift kit...and a cupola rail gun... (like this, minus the rail gun).

Also, I think I absolutely jacked up in my GM-ing skills. I had the group being chased by Kyle Wilport and his goons...and the group was in the midst of a multi-day full on chase scene across the Great Plains...and then on day two at nightfall, the PC's rolled off the side the vehicles where they though the enemy would have to make camp because "it's been two days, they have to poop eventually!" And, well they try to take the bear (Titan) hostage to interrogate him...while he is relieving himself and three hours of roleplaying hijinks later, the group basically makes friends with Wilport, just in time for the ravening vampire horde to attack...

So, now the PC's have to:
1) live through vampire horde attack
2) if Wilport and his target live through the attack, figure out a way for Wilport (who I ended up playing like a knife loving Eric Roberts in the Mr. Brightside video) and the PCs to stay on good terms...or have a big gunfight with whatever ammo is left over as dawn breaks.

-STS

Sounds like a sweet game to be playing in. Makes me start to itch to think about trying to put a new group together.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

slade the sniper wrote:...and then on day two at nightfall, the PC's rolled off the side the vehicles where they though the enemy would have to make camp because "it's been two days, they have to poop eventually!"

That's the best role playing quote i have ever heard!! You should toss out XP like Oprah tosses out gifts to the audience for that.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
slade the sniper
Hero

I usually do give out XP for roleplaying. They will certainly get a reward for that, but they are so good at getting non-level/non-mechanical bonuses and allies that the players rarely need a lot of "levels." When they finally get to the Shoshone Twin Sisters Summer Encampment...they will probably get about two levels depending on how long they stay and "train," as a throwback to old 2E AD&D.

-STS
slade the sniper
Hero

We played last night and it went very well. The group ended up almost being overrun and killed by the Vampires...the dragon decided to pick up a werewolf and...do something? Instead he got his face mauled by the werewolf he was holding...and also by the shadow elemental that decided to help out her werewolf friend.

The elf rogue scientist was flinging arrows like crazy and out of like 8 shots, only one hit. The wilderness scout was trading arrows and lightning blasts with a master vampire when the Vampire Avatar shows up. The NPCs are getting mauled by the wild vampires and I am playing the villains to the hilt, doing way more damage than the players. Round after round of this. The wild vampires finally get trashed by the NPCs after taking a lot of casualties, but the secondary vampires are doing a great job of suppressing groups of NPCs allowing two vampires to show up and face murder the NPCs the PCs are trying to protect.
Until...

The dragon, who is down to like 25 MDC decides to fly at a max speed dive holding the werewolf at arms length and doing a deliberate ramming attack into the master vampire and the vampire avatar...and rolls a 20. Remember this is a dragon with a 40' wingspan, weighing a 1000 pounds...at max speed in a dive...holding a werewolf doing her best impression of the Tasmanian devil...and smashed into the other two players, three secondary vampires, a master vampire and the vampire avatar. I rolled for dodges, for rolling and for not being stunned...and everyone fails except for the wilderness scout and the master vampire.

I played it out like a slo-mo plane crash with everyone just being knocked down and thrown around and stumbling people and monsters everywhere. With really nothing else to lose, the wilderness scout sort of shouts to the master vampire "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" while throwing his arms up. I really had no idea what to do, since really a natural 20 for a dragon sized body block at 100 MPH... The vampire just wiped mud from his face and threw it at the scout and yelled back "What are YOU DOING?! Your stupid dragon almost killed me!" and from that point it just devolved into a scream fight in the best tradition of buddy cop movies as the various crash victims regained their senses and personnel came out from hiding and the whole thing just turned into a yelling farce.

Eventually it came out that the Vampire Avatar (and the VI associated with it) is basically a refugee from Mexico since all the other VI's basically kicked "her" out and she is really just looking for a new place to call home. Of course once out of Mexico, Reid's Rangers have been hounding her for a few hundred miles since Plaktal Nakton would LOOOOOVE to have an Avatar to experiment upon (the PC's have no idea that the Rangers are about 12 hours behind the vampires).
So, somehow, the players managed to not die, and not kill the vampires, or do anything else expected. Yay.

Well, I wanted a sandbox RIFTS game...so I suppose I can't complain.

Now I just have to come up with the tactics that the Rangers will use to capture a Vampire Avatar and kill everyone who might get in the way...Ideas always welcome.

-STS

Return to “Rifts®”