Double wild?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Double wild?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Wild shots have a list if different situations which can create the -6 penalty.

Does anyone play it where you can count it more than once if multiple criteria are filled?

Someone angry and drunk and moving and upside down would be 4x disoriented I would think and worse off than someone for whom only one if these is happening. -24 to hit is pretty intense though.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: Double wild?

Unread post by Natasha »

Being angry, drunk, moving, and upside down is only somewhat intense, then? :P

Just like with bonuses, penalties accumulate in the way that makes sense to the situation.
Axelmania
Knight

Off-hand RAW it's just not entirely clear whether it's a maximum -6 no matter how much junk is happening, or -6 per qualifier.

If I were house-ruling the situation I probably wouldn't go with a -6 but rather just scale up penalties according to intensity.

Whatever level of "angry" a -6 is supposed to represent, being half as angry should only be a -3 to strike, for example.

Same thing with whatever -6's level of drunkenness is, a tipsiness that's half as intoxicating should only be -3, as a house rule.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd say a -6 cap, but if you meet more than 2 of them you just can't make the shot at all, or it is an automiss. while confusion IRL does tend to 'stack' in that multiple sources of confusion can combine to make the effect worse.. you very rapidly reach a point where any kind of effort has no effect. a person who is angry, drunk, hanging upside down, and moving at a good clip is unlikely to even be able to tell what is going on, much less aim and shoot at something.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

I don't like caps, I just like letting penalties stack up and make things hard.

If anything, I might just ignore the 'natural 20 means automatic hit' thing once penalties exceed single digits.

Which does mean that -10 blind strikers are out of luck if they don't have at least a +1 to offset it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I do believe that being drunk has it's own penalties.
page 338 of RUE.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

True... 338's strike penalties while intoxicated (-3 quiet, -1 overconfident, -1 loud, -4 disoriented or -2 hallucinations) combined with the NO BONUSES of staggering drunk can get pretty harsh...

361's ranged combat / modern weapons penalties presumably would stack on top of these:

Shooting Wild: Has a penalty of -6 to strike and applies even to trained weapons experts when the character is terrified, angry/enraged, panicked, off balance, drunk, shooting from a moving vehicle/platform/horseback, spraying an area, shooting while under heavy fire himself, and while running, leaping, dodging, falling or hanging upside down.

It might just be -6 so long as you weren't staggering drunk (bonus canceling) and rolled 1-30 or 41-50 or 86-90 or 96-00 on the random table, which don't create strike penalties.

*wonders how often the -6 for being under heavy fire actually gets used in games, and how 'heavy' fire is assessed, relatively*
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:True... 338's strike penalties while intoxicated (-3 quiet, -1 overconfident, -1 loud, -4 disoriented or -2 hallucinations) combined with the NO BONUSES of staggering drunk can get pretty harsh…
,,,snip
Because they are trying to make the game more realistic.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Axelmania wrote:True... 338's strike penalties while intoxicated (-3 quiet, -1 overconfident, -1 loud, -4 disoriented or -2 hallucinations) combined with the NO BONUSES of staggering drunk can get pretty harsh…
,,,snip

One would almost think that it would be nearly impossible to accurately shoot while intoxicated. :lol:
Almost as if having one's motor control, judgement, timing, and special perceptions all impaired would be detrimental to fire arm accuracy...
...oh wait.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
,,,snip

One would almost think that it would be nearly impossible to accurately shoot while intoxicated. :lol:
Almost as if having one's motor control, judgement, timing, and special perceptions all impaired would be detrimental to fire arm accuracy...
...oh wait.

Roy Folker from Macross/Robotech/Love, do you remember? :twisted: :angel:
Axelmania
Knight

Didn't Mystic China have a 'drunken master' type of thing with HTH? I'd like to see that for shooting.

Return to “Rifts®”