Wizards of War.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Would people rather play

Wizard soldiers in SOT
4%
Wizard soldiers in the minion war
17%
Wizard soldiers vs mechinoids
No votes
Wizard soldiers vs vampire kingdoms
17%
Wizard soldiers vs Xit
4%
Wizard soldiers eating taco
42%
Other please explain
17%

Total votes: 24

Blue_Lion
Knight

Wizards of War.

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

What do you think would be more popular playing a mage unit in SoT line or the minion war fall out on rifts earth?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Wizards of War.

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Eating tacos, for the simple reason of tacos.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I would love to play through SoT. Only if players can make a difference and "win". Or if you actually make the coalition make sense as to how they win. As stands SoT left a bad taste in many peoples mouths. Many parts of the story just made no sense. I love the overall story arc, just the details made no sense.
Blue_Lion
Knight

boxee wrote:I would love to play through SoT. Only if players can make a difference and "win". Or if you actually make the coalition make sense as to how they win. As stands SoT left a bad taste in many peoples mouths. Many parts of the story just made no sense. I love the overall story arc, just the details made no sense.

Not much fun playing heroes you know can not make a difference. That is why most story arcs remain unresolved.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Eating tacos, for the simple reason of tacos.

Ok every one to see who eats the most tacos roll a d20. that will be the number of tacos you eat.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

wizard soldiers don't make sense to me. or at least, not in the conventional sense. if you would describe navy seals or green berets as "soldiers", then i guess it makes some sense, but ultimately a lot of the value in magic is all the different ways it can be used... putting them in the same category as someone who uses a mostly single-purpose device just doesn't make sense to me.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:wizard soldiers don't make sense to me. or at least, not in the conventional sense. if you would describe navy seals or green berets as "soldiers", then i guess it makes some sense, but ultimately a lot of the value in magic is all the different ways it can be used... putting them in the same category as someone who uses a mostly single-purpose device just doesn't make sense to me.

A soldier is a member of an army. A Special forces in US army(Green Berets) is a soldier. Soldiers on modern battlefield perform wide variety of jobs not all are grunts/infantry. Typically naval personal are called seamen(or sailor) so a navy seal is a seaman(or sailor) as is a ships cook or supply officer.

So a Wizard soldier literally is a wizard serving as part of an army. Large magical kingdoms like Lazlo and tolkeen could even have a military magic academy where potential mages get trained magic in exchange for X years of service. Because training magic at a college would be expense.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I picked "none of the above"
My reasoning is that I loathe the plots of the Minion War and SoT, I personally dislike the Mechanoids, Xic fighting turns into either "rocks fall" or, again, pointlessness
and Vampire games tend to go one of two ways...
...campy parodies or curbstomp bloodbaths (with either the PCs or Vampires getting to be the stomper and stompee)

I would much prefer some sort of small unit action where we could be out doing a bit of this and that in small scale battles here and there. Not everything the PCs get involved with has to be world shaking.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

I picked other, Id like if the whole party is around with mafic to trapse the megaverse, or travel for glory and profit. Dont really like playing nobel campaigns .
2 to 4 temporal warriors, a shifter, and 1 other would be a fun game
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

Seige of Tolkeen and the Xiticix war seem like they could be fun for a few sessions, but it would get old pretty fast. Each one seems like it would be a one-sided bloodbath either way. Either your mages have the spells to just walk through the average encounter, or they get gunned down by basic enemy troopers.

Vamps seem more interesting to me, because they've got the potential to add other guys. There's more variety available there. The Xiticix are never going to suddenly have a Glitter Boy show up on their side, it's just going to be the same bug hunt missions every time. The Coalition have a bit more they can do, but once you figure out a way to pop a Coalition APC in one round, and can fend off a squad of Sams, it's just rinse, repeat. Vampires can at least hire mercenaries, or make a deal with a evil shifter and his buddies. Change up the encounters your team can have, keep them on their toes.

The Minion War just seems like they were in need of another series of "event" books, and it has no interest for me. Never liked the mechanoids either.

Running around fighting the Splugorth seems more fun to me. You don't have to go to Atlantis, you can wander around the eastern seaboard, encountering Shemaarians, fighting the Horune, ambushing Splugorth slavers, that sort of thing. Lots of different stuff that you can encounter.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Wizard soldiers vs vampire kingdoms
Wizard soldiers in the minion war
Wizard soldiers in SOT
Wizard soldiers vs mechinoids
Wizard soldiers vs Xit

Probably in the above order.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Wizard Soldiers vs. Soldier Wizards!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Eating tacos, for the simple reason of tacos.

It gets interesting if you gave to KILL the filling first... :bandit:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I went with the Minion War, because SOT was a "solved" problem... the players can't really affect it, unless you want them to help founding something like Castle Refuge.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:I went with the Minion War, because SOT was a "solved" problem... the players can't really affect it, unless you want them to help founding something like Castle Refuge.

To be honest the MW is going to be just like the Mechanoids or Four Horsemen though.
It will be solved... and in later books credit will go to various NPC and authors PCs...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Blue_Lion
Knight

eliakon wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I went with the Minion War, because SOT was a "solved" problem... the players can't really affect it, unless you want them to help founding something like Castle Refuge.

To be honest the MW is going to be just like the Mechanoids or Four Horsemen though.
It will be solved... and in later books credit will go to various NPC and authors PCs...

Wait Last time I checked Mechanoids and four horsemen still have not happened. IN after math(if I recall right) they where listed as such when did it change.

When I run SOT players can affect the out come. Just say it is a parallel rifts earth.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

there's an update on four horsemen in one of the recent books. triax 2 maybe?

anyways, long story short, turns out that a bunch of people with laser rifles actually can just faceroll the 4 horsemen, which shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone who took the time to do the math. i think it was something like a few hundred people combined (the gathering of heroes), plus an NGR bombing run or two, that finished off the horsemen. not sure where mechanoids got updated, but the book pretty much made it clear how it was going to resolve.

Return to “Rifts®”