Novel trilogy

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Novel trilogy

Unread post by Axelmania »

http://palladium-store.com/1001/category/Novels.html

What happened to Treacherous Awakenings?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Novel trilogy

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

they probably ran out. the novels on offer were the leftover stock from the those first printing runs. they haven't sold all that well, so PB never got them reprinted.

though hopefully they'll make them available as Ebooks (properly edited) or something. i actually rather enjoyed them, but my copies are pretty beat up now, and i'd rather put them into honorable retirement on a shelf and read digital copies.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
sanka
D-Bee

Unread post by sanka »

glitterboy2098 wrote:though hopefully they'll make them available as Ebooks (properly edited) or something. i actually rather enjoyed them, but my copies are pretty beat up now, and i'd rather put them into honorable retirement on a shelf and read digital copies.

Right on... Would not mind that either...
Axelmania
Knight

Yeah I'm hesitant to buy book 1 or 2 if I can't at least get 3 some day in an e-book, to find out how it ends, hate starting unfinishable stories. Selling the e-book might also create fans who then want a physical copy of the first 2.

Anyone have any interesting cliffs regarding Glitter Boys and them doing anything interesting?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Axelmania wrote:Yeah I'm hesitant to buy book 1 or 2 if I can't at least get 3 some day in an e-book, to find out how it ends, hate starting unfinishable stories. Selling the e-book might also create fans who then want a physical copy of the first 2.

Anyone have any interesting cliffs regarding Glitter Boys and them doing anything interesting?

the badguys get a GB suit early on and it becomes a bit of a boogieman for the protagonists. and funny you should mention cliffs...
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

Axelmania wrote:Yeah I'm hesitant to buy book 1 or 2 if I can't at least get 3 some day in an e-book, to find out how it ends, hate starting unfinishable stories. Selling the e-book might also create fans who then want a physical copy of the first 2.

Yeah, I bought the books as they were being originally released, but waited too long to get the third...perpetual cliff hanger. So, if powers that be are reading this, cleaned up edited copies of the trilogy would be great ebooks. Thanks.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The books were pretty fun reads if they could clean up some of the editing issues an ebook reprint would be pretty awesome.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

to be honest, the main editing problem was in the first book.. apparently a few major errors slipped by the writer's self-editing (like the replacement of "shadow" with "cyberknight" for much of the early chapters).. and then the original pre-editing copy got sent to the printers by mistake aafter formal editing.

though the various minor issues in the 2nd and 3rd book shows that the post-editing version would have had its own share of problems anyway.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

Some people have individual Narnia books. I have ALL of them as one massive volume and it is really cool. Would that be feasible for the trilogy? One spine seems like less binding.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I'm not an expert, but usually printing anything "unusual" in size and page count costs significantly more. So I am guessing a one book-1,000 page book, or whatever would be at a premium, plus doesn't solve the problem of somebody wanting the third book only.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

one of the advantages of the Ebook is that you don't have to take that risk.. of printing a large number (it is hard to get print runs lower than the tens of thousands) and it maybe not selling. since the book took the better part of three decadfe to sell out after that first printing way back when, there is little incentive to do another print run.

converting it to an Ebook though is a lot cheaper, and getting it out on amazon and other ebook stores would help people who'd never heard of rifts find the novels.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
RockJock
Knight

I second the E-Book as more doable.
Axelmania
Knight

In the case of E-books, you could sell them individually, but maybe offer a deal for someone who orders all 3, I've seen E-books sold in packages like this before.

Heck you could even sell them by chapter, as very small PDFs, if you wanted. I have a lot of trouble keeping my spot in E-books so I'd love per-chapter organized things. Particularly for longer books of this size.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Doing it by chapter would be unfair to the buyer, given the pricing structure of eBook sales.
But you could easily take some of the short stories that appeared in the rifter and make them lower cost ebooks.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
RockJock
Knight

The less complicated the product the better chance of seeing it available as an E-book. I think grouping the three novels together as three discounted files is great, but doing it by chapter becomes a headache. You almost need something like a pay fiction site with a subscription for that model. It has worked for some companies, but I don't see it work here.

To see these as an E-book from Palladium I think it would need to be with minimum editing. They are flawed, but still a fun read, and would give people options.
Axelmania
Knight

Does anyone know if the novels had many pictures? Particularly of Glitter Boys, aside from the cover?
Genhuman
Wanderer

Unread post by Genhuman »

The only pictures are the covers. It's a novel after all.
My mother was a test tube, my father was a knife.

More human than human.

Return to “Rifts®”