Stone Magic Stasis and Lifespan

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Stone Magic Stasis and Lifespan

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Kull the Conqueror is a True Atlantean Stone Master. He goes into a pyramid located on a nexus on Earth and puts himself into stasis (per ability #3 of pyramids, p. 104 of Atlantis) for 520 years. In that time, he will age 1 year. During this time, he is not disturbed, the pyramid is not destroyed, and nothing untoward happens.

However, considering ability 1 of pyramids, will he have gained 189930 days of lifespan (about 520 years, the amount of time he was in stasis), or only a 365 days worth of lifespan, the amount he aged while in stasis?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
IGNG
Wanderer

Re: Stone Magic Stasis and Lifespan

Unread post by IGNG »

He will gain whatever is more convenient for the GM at the time.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

under the conditions stated, He will have only spent 1 year of his lifespan during his sleep in the pyramid.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:under the conditions stated, He will have only spent 1 year of his lifespan during his sleep in the pyramid.

But he will have slept there for 520 years; there's no indication that only the amount of time out of his lifespan is considered for the lifespan increase. Heck, you don't even have to LIVE in the pyramid 24/7... just sleep there each night.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

simplest method would be to assume that the life extension does not function while in stasis..

basically, the stasis would replace the normal life extension effect.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

glitterboy2098 wrote:simplest method would be to assume that the life extension does not function while in stasis..

More to the point.
Power #1 says when you sleep.
Power #3 is not sleeping, you are in stasis.
Stasis is not sleep.
A =/= B

This is a rather fine distinction but its rather important because, well frankly, if a power says 'this works when you are asleep' then it doesn't work when you are not asleep.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre

eliakon wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:simplest method would be to assume that the life extension does not function while in stasis..

More to the point.
Power #1 says when you sleep.
Power #3 is not sleeping, you are in stasis.
Stasis is not sleep.
A =/= B

This is a rather fine distinction but its rather important because, well frankly, if a power says 'this works when you are asleep' then it doesn't work when you are not asleep.

Power 3 is literally called "Stasis sleep."

All Palladium Articles
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Let us see….

When sleeping in a magic pyramid the brass tacks effects is that if it is on a LLN the person only ages one day for every four years, and if it just on a LL the char only ages 2 years and a day for every four years.
Which is effectively halting the aging and halving the aging, respectively.

Which, if they were to be combined with the stasis option (which they obviously were not intended to be)…if it was on a LL the char would not age during stasis if on a LLN and would only age a week for every 20 years.

However, since the stasis power is written in the text along with power #1, the effects of #1 are not in effect when the stone master chooses to go into stasis instead of just living. Otherwise there would of been text for differing rates for the stasis depending on where the P was built.

------------------

Here is a more interesting question. Does the rejuvenating effects of a P, effect all living things the same or is it only TAs that get it's anti-aging effects?
(note: this came up while reviewing the text in rwb2. So I know what the text says. So I guess what I am asking is how you would rule in your games.)
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Honestly given there are still some atlanteans who remember old atlantis I have no real problem reading it either way. Basically atlanteans probably are not going to die of old age unless kept away from pyramids for a very prolonged period of time.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

looking at my copy 2nd printing, I would tend to say the stasis sleep is a heightened version of the normal rest benefit.

with the power 1 what effectively happens is if they rest every night in the pyramid (on a nexus) they effectively don't age on a ley line they age 1/2 day per day

with a true Atlantian who can live 500 years sleeping every night at a pyramid on a ley line would allow them to live ~1000 years
although you could actually make an argument that based on the specific phrasing that the effects are actually stronger than that.
IE spend a year at the pyramid on a nexus and you don't just not age you actually SUBTRACT an effective year of age off your expected lifespan and it takes 2 years at a Ley line pyramid to do the same thing.

still only ageing a week for 10 years of hibernation would be pretty impressive as well
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

RAW? It depends on whether he was "asleep" during the nights of the 520 years. Which if I recall depends on what you do before the stasis kicks in.

How would I rule it? The "extra year" is not so much a life-extension as a cessation of the aging process. As long as you are sleeping in the pyramid you don't get older physiologically. It takes a full year to "attune" yourself to this process and at the end of that first year it "kicks in" and retroactively makes it so you didn't age the previous year "because magic, also times-wimey wibbly-wobbly". Ergo Kull "gains" one year.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

It's a combination the author didn't anticipate. In such situations, I generally go with the answer that's the least fantastical.

I'd say he gets 365 days, not 520 years.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I go with the larger age bonus for a couple of reasons. It is not really a PC sort of issue in general. Plus I like the idea of TAs, or at least some TAs being almost demi-gods. The Jason, Achilles, and Ajax in the flesh.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

So how would you rule on things about the rejuvenation power if the P was built on a super LLN? gets younger? same as 'on a LLN' but only has to sleep in it 2 out of three days?

And the question, do only TAs get to use these P based powers?
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

I think everyone gets the life-extension. The classic "this was not clearly defined because rifts" problem shows up with pyramid powers but it seems like several of the pyramid powers were worded such that they work that way for everyone.

Each power that was for Atlanteans and stone masters only says so in in the description. At least that is what I think the original intent was. It even works internally since those powers are the ones that seem like they would require a sort of magical expertise to use.

But that's my opinion, I understand if others disagree.

Return to “Rifts®”