Teleport/Dimension teleport to escape combat: Limitations?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greepnak
Explorer

Teleport/Dimension teleport to escape combat: Limitations?

Unread post by Greepnak »

Hi. So what are the general limits on innate teleport/d-teleport? I know I read somewhere that if you try to d-port and fail, another attempt cannot be made for five minutes. Still, this makes demons/devils etc somewhat unkillable even if I need them to die for story. At least vampiric mist transformation takes 2 actions.
Johnathan
Adventurer

Re: Teleport/Dimension teleport to escape combat: Limitation

Unread post by Johnathan »

Might wanna use the teleport spells as a basis. I know many creatures who have d-port/teleport have limitations in regards to distance and chance of success. I also know that dragons, specifically, have to wait five minutes to teleport again. A fellow PC in a game I was in played a dragon hatchling and loved to teleport around but hated having to wait the five minute time limit.

But dragons can also use teleporting as a dodge maneuver in combat... so here's Pally forgetting their own limitations...

Edit: upon future investigation. I looked some of he dragons in RUE and the Cats-Eye dragon can attempt a standard teleport every melee round.
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Dragons could be a faster exception although I don't remember ever reading how long it took to use these natural abilities.

Barring any statements being located, 30 seconds to activate seems reasonable. On par with the high level spells.

With RUE speeding up casting, I guess 4 actions :/ magic is too quick now.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Generally I assume that if a natural power requires activation/use and it does not tell you the number of attacks the default is 1 action/attack.
(That is based of the idea that every thing takes one action unless told otherwise.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

This makes me wonder: what if the dimensional teleport of Dyvalians / Hades Demons isn't a voluntary natural ability and simply reflects the chance of them passively returning to Hades/Dyval when killed?
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

Axelmania wrote:Dragons could be a faster exception although I don't remember ever reading how long it took to use these natural abilities.

Barring any statements being located, 30 seconds to activate seems reasonable. On par with the high level spells.

I'd agree with that. Usually the only people who have those sorts of innate abilities are high powered monsters, the kind that end up being the final boss in a campaign or story arc. Letting them escape that easily is the sort of thing that leads to unhappy players. If you've got a high level team that is trying to kill a Splugorth or a Vampire Intelligence, and you've got him on the ropes, the last thing you want to see is him giving you the finger and teleporting away when he's got 1 MDC remaining.

Because you're either playing the kind of game where the PCs can fight and kill an alien intelligence, or you aren't playing that kind of game. If you aren't, then those monsters generally have enough power and enough minions that you'll never reach them in the first place, and if you get "lucky" and do manage to confront them directly, you'll get slaughtered. But if you are playing the kind of game where you are expected to fight these guys, then giving the bad guy a "get away for free any time he wants" power goes against the intent of the game.
Axelmania
Knight

For comparison's sake, maybe we could tabulate all examples where we are told the time needed to teleport or dimensional teleport?
Greepnak
Explorer

Yeah, I'm honestly not super happy with any teleport implementation I've thought up. Same rules go for players.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Greepnak wrote:Hi. So what are the general limits on innate teleport/d-teleport? I know I read somewhere that if you try to d-port and fail, another attempt cannot be made for five minutes. Still, this makes demons/devils etc somewhat unkillable even if I need them to die for story. At least vampiric mist transformation takes 2 actions.

hatchling dragons in the origional rifts main book could only attempt to teleport once every five minutes and only at a ley line nexus.

This limitation applied to hatchling dragons only, and less so now, that dragon combat and teleport dodge gives them a very short range teleport right away.

All other innate teleport abilities take 1 attack/action and can be tried repeatedly every turn until they succeed with no limitations
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Greepnak
Explorer

mmmmmmwweeeeeellll..... I can say that lesser demons fight to the death because they're not fighting on planes where they can truly "die" and I have it set up so that the forces of Hades are capturing an awful lot of mortal slaves for the accelerated, horrific re-birth process to keep their numbers up.

I might have to include some kind of macguffin field on my player character whose entire point is to eat and perma-kill greater beings though that makes D-teleport hard. I want Nxla Kibble someday (milking Rifts high end for all its worth here. I actually wanna fight Cormal and win someday)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Greepnak wrote:Hi. So what are the general limits on innate teleport/d-teleport? I know I read somewhere that if you try to d-port and fail, another attempt cannot be made for five minutes. Still, this makes demons/devils etc somewhat unkillable even if I need them to die for story. At least vampiric mist transformation takes 2 actions.

hatchling dragons in the origional rifts main book could only attempt to teleport once every five minutes and only at a ley line nexus.

This limitation applied to hatchling dragons only, and less so now, that dragon combat and teleport dodge gives them a very short range teleport right away.

All other innate teleport abilities take 1 attack/action and can be tried repeatedly every turn until they succeed with no limitations

Umm... You are talking about dimensional teleport not the normal one right. They could only D teleport at a ley line nexus but could teleport any where when it was not on cool down.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Umm... You are talking about dimensional teleport not the normal one right. They could only D teleport at a ley line nexus but could teleport any where when it was not on cool down.

I may have gotten confused, yes :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Was it RMB? I only recall the normal port. Dragon porting has seemed a BT fuzzy from PRPG>Rifts>CB>D&G>RUE
Blue_Lion
Knight

Eagle wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Dragons could be a faster exception although I don't remember ever reading how long it took to use these natural abilities.

I'd agree with that. Usually the only people who have those sorts of innate abilities are high powered monsters, the kind that end up being the final boss in a campaign or story arc. Letting them escape that easily is the sort of thing that leads to unhappy players. If you've got a high level team that is trying to kill a Splugorth or a Vampire Intelligence, and you've got him on the ropes, the last thing you want to see is him giving you the finger and teleporting away when he's got 1 MDC remaining.

Because you're either playing the kind of game where the PCs can fight and kill an alien intelligence, or you aren't playing that kind of game. If you aren't, then those monsters generally have enough power and enough minions that you'll never reach them in the first place, and if you get "lucky" and do manage to confront them directly, you'll get slaughtered. But if you are playing the kind of game where you are expected to fight these guys, then giving the bad guy a "get away for free any time he wants" power goes against the intent of the game.

It could be a creature with D teleport is a powerful recurring villain where part of defeating it could be fining a way to stop it teleport.
Things I can see being house ruled to stop teleports.

Tech
Sonic devices like the one in NGR 2 preventing concentration on a new plane to teleport.
Force fields some GMs I know say you cant teleport throgh them.

PSI
the two anti magic psi could block like they do spell casting.
Bio-manupulation pain-causes pain higher than the creature normally fills resaulting in not being able to concetrate.

Magic-
There are rules on the books for PC creating new spells.
A spell to dimension bind to prevent teleporting.
A spell that makes it so if you D-port from dimension you forget how to get there and can not D-port back.(May not kill them but removes the threat.)

Axelmania
Knight

The problem is that since there is no stated PPE cost and the magic-negating psychics are based on that.

Since it's not as spell and they don't have to say any words, I'm not sure if pain would prevent it.

I think Bletherad already had a spell which could stop dimensional travel, I think in wall spells or something?
Blue_Lion
Knight

So it has a cost of 0 that is still a cost if I recall counted unless you pay X extra is how i seam to remember is how they work. basically you would counter it unless they spend PPE for it go off under such a house rule.

It may not have words but you could still rule it requires concentration and can be disturbed(if it was easy the success would be 100%). It would be a house rule as I said, I was listing ways that could be house ruled to stop it.

Return to “Rifts®”