Savage Rifts Forum

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Savage Rifts Forum

Unread post by Library Ogre »

In case you didn't notice (I didn't until last night) there is now a forum here for Savage Rifts stuff.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Savage Rifts Forum

Unread post by Axelmania »

So conversions are allowed from Rifts rules to Savage Rifts rules or vice versa?

Does that system even use MD?
Freemage
Explorer

Unread post by Freemage »

Axelmania wrote:So conversions are allowed from Rifts rules to Savage Rifts rules or vice versa?

Does that system even use MD?

Rifts has a long-standing rule called "Heavy Weapons/Armor". It serves much the same function, though is a bit more binary.

In short: Heavy Armor is immune to non-Heavy Weapons. Heavy Weapons are still affected by normal Armor, but usually have such a high level of Armor Piercing, that it ends up a moot point.

So, Heavy Weapons are Mega-Damage, and Heavy Armor is MDC.

So you don't have a situation, by the rules, where dozens of laser rifles can eventually punch through a Robot Armor's shell, but otherwise, the game situations play out similarly.

As for conversions--Pinnacle and Palladium have a deal, but fan conversions are still technically not licensed by it. The rule over on the PEG forums is that fan-stuff can be linked to, but not posted directly on the Forum. If Palladium wants to drop a C&D on your homebrew Savage Cosmo-Knight, that's between you and Kevin.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Per the intro text of the Savage Rifts Forum:

Please keep conversions to items, people, etc found in the various Rifts books and/or Savage Rifts books.

So, by my reading, a Savage Rifts Cosmo-Knight Iconic Framework would be acceptable, since Phase World Books are technically Rifts books. If you want to make a conversion of the Jedi to Savage Rifts, or convert some Savage Worlds Deadlands stuff to Savage Rifts, that would be against the rules.... Jedi aren't Rifts material, and Deadlands isn't Savage Rifts material.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

Actually converting Savage Properties into Rifts is probably the second most favorite activity on the PEG forums :) That said, you'd be surprised at how many "conversions" are best handled by a MARS Personal Concept :)

Even on the SavageRifts.com Play by Post forum, we've already had a conversion from Deadlands (basically the Harrowed race, the MARS Iconic Framework, and a Personal Concept Package). The no no's are pretty well laid out.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

MikelAmroni wrote:Actually converting Savage Properties into Rifts is probably the second most favorite activity on the PEG forums :) That said, you'd be surprised at how many "conversions" are best handled by a MARS Personal Concept :)

Even on the SavageRifts.com Play by Post forum, we've already had a conversion from Deadlands (basically the Harrowed race, the MARS Iconic Framework, and a Personal Concept Package). The no no's are pretty well laid out.

Yes, but what PEG and Palladium can/do allow on their respective site will be totally different.
PEG owns all the Savage properties, thus any conversions between the two on their own site is not a breach of anyone's IP.
Palladium does not, and thus it can not sanction them. Even if they are perfectly fine elsewhere.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®”