Earth Warlock Spell question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Earth Warlock Spell question

Unread post by Mack »

The level eight spell Transference of Essence & Intellect (BoM p74)... does the Warlock retain his PPE and ability to cast spells?

Opinions are welcome, and a canon answer would be much appreciated.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Earth Warlock Spell question

Unread post by eliakon »

Mack wrote:The level eight spell Transference of Essence & Intellect (BoM p74)... does the Warlock retain his PPE and ability to cast spells?

Yes they should.
This answer is based on the Warlock, who has done just this, "The Mad Golem" on page 74 of Island at the Edge of the World...
...who still has all of his spells per day.

It is their essence after all, and your PPE is your essence (it may, or may not, be connected with souls after all)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Thanks for the reference. I was working up a NPC, but from your description it sounds like the core idea has already been done.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You might want to check out the immortal PCat in PU2 and the living Golem article in one of the Rifters.(thinks it is pre R30.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Mack wrote:Thanks for the reference. I was working up a NPC, but from your description it sounds like the core idea has already been done.

There is a mage that has used such a power to go into a golem in SOT 6. If I recall right he does retain his ability to cast spells.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Mack wrote:Thanks for the reference. I was working up a NPC, but from your description it sounds like the core idea has already been done.

There is a mage that has used such a power to go into a golem in SOT 6. If I recall right he does retain his ability to cast spells.

Denwyn Ironheart (SoT6pg103105), several notes:
1. "into a specially crafted Iron Golem!"
2. "His magical iron body interferes with his spell casting, reducing the duration of the magic spell by..."
3. Ley Line Walker OCC , not Warlock

How Point 1 relates to Point 2 and Point 3 I am not sure, I think we can say for sure that it relates directly to Point 3 (as no equivalent Wizard Spell exists IIRC), but it might or might not also relate to Point 2.

Mack wrote:The level eight spell Transference of Essence & Intellect (BoM p74)... does the Warlock retain his PPE and ability to cast spells?

Cast Spells: the only thing that would prevent them from casting spells would be if the new body limited spell casting in some way. Underseas magic establishes that vocalization is not necessary (does slow things down), so even being unable to speak shouldn't be a factor (if gestures are required you would need to be able to animate the body).

PPE transfer. Given that Robot Transfered Intelligence (SB1o) retains some ISP, and ISP and PPE are related. I would go with yes, though PPE amount might be impacted negatively (as ISP is). Though as a mage they still retain their skills, so in theory would be able to tap other sources to augment their PPE as their OCC would allow (IMHO).
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i would say that in palladium terms, your PPE is part of your essence. unless some aspect of your PPE is directly related to your former body (for example, if you were previously a lassinike from aliens unlimited), you would keep all of your PPE, just as you would if you were to leave your body through astral projection, or if your body was transformed into an insect, or if your body became gigantic.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

My inclination was to say that an Earth Warlock would retain his casting ability, if for no other reason than were that not the case the spell description would clearly call that out.

From the couple of references given, I'll stick with that.

And I had a thought on the drive home tonight to make him a bit more unique. If it doesn't turn out too munchkin I'll share it later.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Shark_Force
Palladin

particularly fun, you can make a clay animal human, turn it to flesh using the described spell chain, and then transfer your essence and intellect into it since in addition to clay, stone, iron, etc, you can always transfer into a clay animal creation and make it permanently animated.

so if you're an earth/air warlock (or just have access to breath of life), you can pretty much live indefinitely. and also get some MDC and supernatural attributes :)
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

If PPE is connected to the essence, not the body then why would cyborgs lose nearly all their PPE?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The canon ruling isn't clear.

In my own rules, if you possess another body, you are limited by the PPE in that body unless you're touching your actual body. In the case of the warlock transferring his "soul" to the golem, I'm inclined to let him bring his PPE with him.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Shark_Force
Palladin

dreicunan wrote:If PPE is connected to the essence, not the body then why would cyborgs lose nearly all their PPE?

if a wizard loses an arm, they lose 0 PPE... unless they connect it to a cybernetic arm, that is.

the PPE isn't in your body... but something about attaching cybernetics to your body interferes (and it pretty much is specifically cybernetics... bio-wizardry can attach an octopus tentacle with no problems, and you can attach a cloned arm to your body to replace a lost one no problem, you just can't attach a cybernetic limb for whatever reason).

why? well, out-of-character, we all know it's so that you can't have cyborg mages with several hundred MDC and full spellcasting. in-character, i dunno... i'm not an expert on rifts metaphysics :P
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

That's ok, I don't think Palladium are experts on Rifts Metaphysics either. ;)

But other then that, I agree with you SF, biological attachments are groovy to use but the metal/artificial systems aren't. It's also why there is a lesser issue with certain bio-system cybernetics causing less problems.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.

Return to “Rifts®”