What If: The Republicans and Operation Chi-Town Coup

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

What If: The Republicans and Operation Chi-Town Coup

Unread post by Kelorin »

Not to derail the thread on using Sanctum on Chi-Town or just annoying the CS with Magic Pigeons, what would North America look like in 10 years, 25 years or 100 years if the Republicans plans to overthrow the CS leadership were to succeed? (Note: Let's try to avoid the current world politics of making America great again).

A couple of thoughts on this topic:
1) I can't imagine that the NGR are particularly comfortable with the way that their main North American ally reminds them of an unpleasant chapter of their own history. You have to figure that the NGR would much prefer Coalition run under the Republicans instead.
2) If the Republicans are as Illuminati as SB1: Revised makes them out to be, then they couldn't have missed the opportunity to insert some of their own agents in with the Coalition forces sent to the NGR as part of the Gargoyle offensive. If they are really good at snooping around, they should eventually learn about the Sovietski, the Republic of Japan and the New Navy.
3) The New Navy are aware of the CS, but are definitely uncomfortable with the CS leadership. They also think of themselves as displaced Americans. If the Republicans took over, would the New Navy consider 'going home'?
4) Similarly, in South America we have CS ties to Columbia. IIRC, the Megaversal Legion also knows about the CS as a result. Same question, if the Republicans took over would the Megaversal Legion consider 'going home'?
5) Could the Republicans convince any of these groups to help bring about change back at home? (Hey New Navy, Megaversal Legion, we've got 30,000 NEMA guys on ice under the control of a crazy, malfunctioning A.I. back stateside; could we get a hand with that?)
6) Between the three legacy American groups, does a new colony far from the CS make more sense, say on the west coast.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: What If: The Republicans and Operation Chi-Town Coup

Unread post by Library Ogre »

On the New Navy, I don't see them "going home" anytime soon, but I can definitely see them opening up relations, depending on the direction the Republicans took the CS... I don't recall too many indications that they were open to magic or DBees, for example, and so it might just be a change of who is at the top, without really changing the mechanics of government.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

I personally think the Upheavel of a coup would upset the NGR but I doubt the resulting product would offend them, the Republician ideals mirror their own much more closely [more free speach, better education over all etc.] I just finished re-read. the revised sourcebook one.
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I think the republicans would run into the problem of trying to ride the tiger. Even if they were successful and the populace believed/followed them the indoctrination has been going on long enough across the CS I am not sure if the republicans would be able to steer it much off that course for a long time. There is also a good chance current factions of the CS military once the republicans come out in the open actively rebel call them DB alien scum traitors and has a high chance the populace would back them.

Now that the minion war broke out if they are stupid enough to try this while a huge demon plague is starting to flare up I don't think it would end well for the republicans.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

kaid wrote:I think the republicans would run into the problem of trying to ride the tiger. Even if they were successful and the populace believed/followed them the indoctrination has been going on long enough across the CS I am not sure if the republicans would be able to steer it much off that course for a long time. There is also a good chance current factions of the CS military once the republicans come out in the open actively rebel call them DB alien scum traitors and has a high chance the populace would back them.

Now that the minion war broke out if they are stupid enough to try this while a huge demon plague is starting to flare up I don't think it would end well for the republicans.

Nah, best time to strike is about a month after the minion war.

During the MW a lot of CS troopers were exposed to friendly magic users and deebees who fought alongside them against the demons. The Republicans need a young attractive charismatic solder who is distinguished and a known hero.

Then they need to force an incident where the CS mistreats a magic user or Deebee.

Imagine:

"What do you think you're doing? Take your hands off that man! You should be ashamed of yourself!

This man fought alongside us at the battle of the Hellpit! This man lost friends and family, bled for us, to push the demons back! Yet you, you stand there and have the gall to call him subhuman? You make me sick!

Those of us who fought in the demon war know the truth. We all owe our lives to magic users, to deebees, to these people you call less than human. This world is as much theirs as it is ours!

And why? Emperor Prosek claims all magic users are in league with the demons! We know that's not true! Not only that, but we know that he knows it's not true!

He's been lying to us this whole time about a lot of things!"

At this point the Republican agents are aware of the Vanguard and of the true events of Tolkeen as well. So the second phase begins.

"If Emperor Prosek really believed that magic was so evil, then why does he have his own secret magic using force eh? They call them the Vanguard and they're very real!

Tolkeen didn't fire first and start a war with us. No, we started the war by trying to launch a salvo of nukes to kill them without provocation!

I can't take the lies anymore! It's time we reveal the truth!"

Phase three is to take events and twist them a little bit to make Prosek look worse.

"You may have heard that Tolkeen unleashed demons and monsters on us. They did. However, they only did that after Emperor Prosek ordered concentration camps built to capture, torture, and experiment on Tokleen's citizens! Not just the Mages, but the women and children too! He ordered us to murder innocent children and then dared to call them monsters?"

Phase four is to undermine the CS standing with it's allies.

"Meanwhile, despite a peace treaty with Free Quebec Prosek continues to try to get agents into their factories to steal their secrets?

What about Lady Prosek? The Cyber-Knights rescued her and ever since then Emperor Prosek has held her prisoner!

How do we let them do this? They control the media, they choose what we can and can't learn. We need to start asking questions and questioning answers!"

By this point this agent is dead or dragged off by Prosek's goons. The thing they don't know is that the Republicans recorded the whole exchange. Using covert tactics they undermine the CS propaganda machine and disseminate the "truth" via pirate broadcasts.

Other Agents in the CS quietly confirm the info, in ways that look like slips of the tongue.

"They told us the women and children were monsters in disguise."

"It's not unusual for governments to investigate other governments."

"I heard about detention camps and the experiments during the war, but never saw one."

"The General might have jumped the gun and started the war with Tolkeen."

"There's no such thing as the Vanguard. There used to be a magic division but it was dissolved a long time ago. It's insane to think that they're still around, it would be nice though to defend against magic I suppose."

This would cause termoil in the CS and the Republicans could capitalize on it. It wouldn't be surprising to see a civil war break out, and the Republicans could tip the balance.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

Unread post by SereneTsunami »

I also think there's a decent chance that "Operation Fix Everything" will fall short. Especially considering that EVERYTHING the Republicans have ever tried has failed.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Well assuming the Republicans (God in heaven do they need a better name) took ARCHIE and all the intel and power hes got I could see them setting up shop as industrialist under the titan robotics banner in some city state the CS will definitely try to absorb at some point. Then when the CS comes calling they make sure said city state goes willingly into the CS fold. Then over a number of years ( maybe a generation or two) they work there way up the CS power structure.

It could work this way IF they played the long game.
Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

SereneTsunami wrote:I also think there's a decent chance that "Operation Fix Everything" will fall short. Especially considering that EVERYTHING the Republicans have ever tried has failed.

They are a bit a bad punchline aren't they, but you're right: They have operational success ratio in the same range as Dr. Claw, Cobra Commander and Megatron.
Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

Riftmaker wrote:Well assuming the Republicans (God in heaven do they need a better name) took ARCHIE and all the intel and power hes got I could see them setting up shop as industrialist under the titan robotics banner in some city state the CS will definitely try to absorb at some point. Then when the CS comes calling they make sure said city state goes willingly into the CS fold. Then over a number of years ( maybe a generation or two) they work there way up the CS power structure.

It could work this way IF they played the long game.

I see this as possibly playing out 2 ways.
1) If the Republicans succeeding in subverting ARCHIE on their own, then they could maintain their secrecy and continue to pull the strings behind the scenes to prod the CS in the direction they would like them to go.
2) On the other hand, the Republicans have failed spectacularly and repeatedly in their dealings with ARCHIE. Going public or recruiting other allies (New Navy, NGR, Megaversal Legion, mercs, the CS, etc.) may be required for them to get the upper hand with ARCHIE.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

I think the Republican'ts should focus on Free Quebec and write off Chi-Town as a lost cause. FQ has alot of assets without alot of the cultural baggage of Chi-town faction of the CS. If the Republican'ts revealed themselves to FQ and showed them convincing evidence that they were the ones that helped FQ find the working GB factory it's possible an alliance of sorts could be formed.

Question is, would the Republican'ts reveal ARCHIE and the Shimarrians true natures? Would ARCHIE start a war over the exposure?

Perhaps ARCHIE could be convinced that allowing the sleeper NEMAs to be woke up and sent to FQ with the Republican'ts and to sign a treaty with them would free up ARCHIEs resources for bigger threats.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

SereneTsunami wrote:I think the Republican'ts should focus on Free Quebec and write off Chi-Town as a lost cause. FQ has alot of assets without alot of the cultural baggage of Chi-town faction of the CS. If the Republican'ts revealed themselves to FQ and showed them convincing evidence that they were the ones that helped FQ find the working GB factory it's possible an alliance of sorts could be formed.

Question is, would the Republican'ts reveal ARCHIE and the Shimarrians true natures? Would ARCHIE start a war over the exposure?

Perhaps ARCHIE could be convinced that allowing the sleeper NEMAs to be woke up and sent to FQ with the Republican'ts and to sign a treaty with them would free up ARCHIEs resources for bigger threats.

FQ isn't strong enough.

Archie could wipe FQ off the map easily. The CS maybe could hold out but if the Reps revealed him from a centralized location, Archie would know and retribution would be swift.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

HWalsh wrote:
SereneTsunami wrote:I think the Republican'ts should focus on Free Quebec and write off Chi-Town as a lost cause. FQ has alot of assets without alot of the cultural baggage of Chi-town faction of the CS. If the Republican'ts revealed themselves to FQ and showed them convincing evidence that they were the ones that helped FQ find the working GB factory it's possible an alliance of sorts could be formed.

FQ isn't strong enough.

Archie could wipe FQ off the map easily. The CS maybe could hold out but if the Reps revealed him from a centralized location, Archie would know and retribution would be swift.

I agree that ARCHIE could outlast FQ in a war. I'm thinking there is a chance that with all of ARCHIE's other foes and commitments if he would cut a deal. He could work to separate FQ from Chi-Town completely, isolating the CS more and securing his northern border as well. ARCHIE has shown in the past he is willing to help his enemy's enemy.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

SereneTsunami wrote:
HWalsh wrote:

FQ isn't strong enough.

I agree that ARCHIE could outlast FQ in a war. I'm thinking there is a chance that with all of ARCHIE's other foes and commitments if he would cut a deal. He could work to separate FQ from Chi-Town completely, isolating the CS more and securing his northern border as well. ARCHIE has shown in the past he is willing to help his enemy's enemy.

Not a chance, if ARCHIE gets revealed his entire agenda is shot. Secrecy is his greatest advantage. He loses that, then he's done. His entire agenda is destroyed. At that point his only option would be to wipe out Free Quebec and try to contain the damage and misdirect people.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

HWalsh wrote:
SereneTsunami wrote:
HWalsh wrote:

FQ isn't strong enough.

Not a chance, if ARCHIE gets revealed his entire agenda is shot. Secrecy is his greatest advantage. He loses that, then he's done. His entire agenda is destroyed. At that point his only option would be to wipe out Free Quebec and try to contain the damage and misdirect people.

Yea, you are probably right.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I see it now. Circles within circles as they build power. Sure you have the CS and FQ, but think of all the other powers that could come into play. The Republicans do have a nice list of potential allies that are fun to what if.

CAN Republic
NEMA Icicles
Shemarrians
Tundra Rangers
New Navy
Tritonia
Megaversal Legion

Take a Republican power base usurping leadership of the CS, if not totally bending Chitown to their will. States like Iron Heart/Eldorado, FQ, and even NG/MI being helped/saved by some of the third party allies, and maybe some other powers (CKs, Lazo, Arzno, Sky Knights, whatever). A new nation comes out of some to all of the CS states, FQ, NG/MI, maybe some of the Native American Preserves,and some of the more open minded city state powers on the continent where Chitown is a powerblock, but not THE only power.

I put the Republic of Japan, New Soviet, and NGR as too far away to be part of the United Peoples of America, or whatever the new state gets called.

Fun stuff.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®”