Are all men of magic/magic users considered a mage?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

Are all men of magic/magic users considered a mage?

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

This came to me when I was looking at the men of magic in RUE, the traditional casters that can learn any spell are all called mages while the mystic did not appear to be.

So that got me thinking are all magic users/men of magic a mage?

Some like the T-man do not cast spells at all, but instead have magical abilities.
Others are not trained but born like the elemental fusionist and some magic using rccs.

So I am wondering would you consider all men of magic a mage?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Are all men of magic/magic users considered a mage?

Unread post by eliakon »

I would consider terms like "mage" to be typically in-universe terms where as something like Men of Magic is an Out-universe term.

For the record here, I tend to define magic as "Scholastic" (you study your magic); "Intuitive" (you just 'do' magic); and "Bestowed" (an outside source provides your magic)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Blue_Lion wrote:This came to me when I was looking at the men of magic in RUE, the traditional casters that can learn any spell are all called mages while the mystic did not appear to be.

No, magic users like the psi mystic/mystic, priest. warlock and witch do not learn spells through study and practice. They are intuitive magic users (PM/M), and Granted magic users (P,W,&W).
(Yep, Shifters straddle the line if they make a bone with a SN being.)

A 'Mage' being someone who has spent years developing their ability to make magic through the casting of spells. The examples the primary Mage type per setting are: Rifts: LLW, PF2: Wizard, HU2: Mystic Study, NB: Sorcerer.

Blue_Lion wrote:Some like the T-man do not cast spells at all, but instead have magical abilities.
Others are not trained but born like the elemental fusionist and some magic using rccs.

T-men/TA UdS, have more in common with men@arms that use magic weapons and stuff then a real magic user.

"...magic using rccs." are you referring to Races that have innate magic abilities like the Silhouette or a race's race restricted CC like the Nordanor CC from the Children of the Moon (R4)?
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i would generally equate "mage" with "someone who is primarily focused on casting spells". i doubt most common folk make much of a distinction about the source of that knowledge, with few exceptions (priests of light probably are treated differently by people who worship the same deity/pantheon/whatever, for example).

i don't think most people would consider a tatooed man a mage (though certainly they use magic), nor do i think most would consider a class that will only ever know a handful of specific spells to be a mage (for example, a gypsy thief or a jungle elf that is not from an OCC that grants some extensive spell knowledge), though of course we're talking in general terms, and some people will classify things differently. it is almost certain that there will be some measure of prejudice for some people (i wouldn't be surprised if many more traditional spellcasters don't consider nazcan line drawers to be spellcasters, for example) and jealousy too (there are probably some who argue that stone magic isn't really spellcasting because they're just activating gems rather than casting spells because they're envious of the prestige stone magic enjoys in some circles). and there will almost assuredly be some that blur the lines (for example, conjurers) where you'll have opinions on both sides of the fence.

and of course, there will be times when people don't have enough information to make an informed classification and will sometimes assume that someone who casts a single spell (like that jungle elf i mentioned) knows more, or that someone who used a magical but non-spell ability (like a tatooed man) did so through a spell (that is, if they see a lightning bolt heading in their direction, they're unlikely to ask whether it came from a TW device in the hands of a minor psionic headhunter, a tatooed man, or a ley line walker (or for that matter, a psychic using electrokinesis), if they can't see the source they'll probably just assume "mage" until they are given reason to think otherwise).
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Many of the spell descriptions use 'mage' or 'sorcerer' so since Mystics have access to all of them, I have to look at them as being pretty broad terms
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The terms are applied imprecisely across the Palladium System; I tend to be of like mind with Eli, finding the most useful delineation being Learned v. Granted v. Intuitive. Tattoo men, for example, would be Granted... they can't make tattoos on their own, or design new tattoos, just use the ones they've been given. This would be different than Chiang-Ku Tattoo Masters, who can create tattoos for themselves and others.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:The terms are applied imprecisely across the Palladium System; I tend to be of like mind with Eli, finding the most useful delineation being Learned v. Granted v. Intuitive. Tattoo men, for example, would be Granted... they can't make tattoos on their own, or design new tattoos, just use the ones they've been given. This would be different than Chiang-Ku Tattoo Masters, who can create tattoos for themselves and others.

How would you classify TW?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Techno Wizards are Learned magic users…mages.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Blue_Lion
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Techno Wizards are Learned magic users…mages.

not just the class but the items they make.

boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Blue_Lion wrote:

A techno-wizard is a mage. The item a Techno-wizard makes is an item. Someone with lots and lots of techno-wizard items he did not make attached to his utility belt is magical batmannot a mage.

On the topic of Techno-wizards, a question has been percolating in my head. Golems have the problem of costing permanent SDC loss to make, but could that SDC be taken from others (volunteers, or not), especially if it was a TW golem-forge?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

boring7 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

A techno-wizard is a mage. The item a Techno-wizard makes is an item. Someone with lots and lots of techno-wizard items he did not make attached to his utility belt is magical batmannot a mage.

On the topic of Techno-wizards, a question has been percolating in my head. Golems have the problem of costing permanent SDC loss to make, but could that SDC be taken from others (volunteers, or not), especially if it was a TW golem-forge?

under normal circumstances, i don't think you could take the SDC from others (though for some classes, it is absolutely possible... african witch, for example, and i think harvesters of nxla or something like that? of course, the witch doesn't get access to golems, no idea about the nxla things...)

with a TW device that makes golems, it might be possible. i mean, just about anything is possible with techno-wizardry if your GM says it is, so... as with any TW device, basically, "ask your DM".
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Blue_Lion wrote:

Are other magic items considered mages? No.

Magic items are magic items, even if they are called TW devices.

Now, Rune weapons, there can be arguments for individual greatest ones at being independent enough to be considered to be magic users, but not Mages. They can not learn new spells from a teaching mage.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I assume that in-universe 'mage' as a name started out belonging to only a few hardcore magic users, but like military berets, the use of the term became more widespread as more and more magic-users wanted to be identified with the 'in' crowd. So now, you got conservative old-school magic-users getting into bar and great hall fights with correspondence course-educated (or, gods helps us, online internet magic academy) spell-slingers over who's properly entitled to use the name 'mage'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

boring7 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

I was kind of wondering you would treat users of TW as having granted magic like the T-man was said to be.

I would rule if the item is casting the spell it is the item that looses SDC do to stress of making the golem could be something like part of the device shearing off during the forging process. (I rule that althou the spell is used in creation of TW the spell does not actually go off in creation.)

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Blue_Lion wrote:I was kind of wondering you would treat users of TW as having granted magic like the T-man was said to be.

I would rule if the item is casting the spell it is the item that looses SDC do to stress of making the golem could be something like part of the device shearing off during the forging process. (I rule that althou the spell is used in creation of TW the spell does not actually go off in creation.)

No, I wouldn't. There's a term from the Robert Aspirin Myth series that I use for folks like that... mechanics.

Let's take a psychic elf of unusually large PPE base and even more unusually large credit base. He's psychic, so he can use TW items. He likes magic, but never had the chance to learn it. So, he pays a TW to make magic items that will let him pretend to cast spells. He's not a magician, he's not a mage... he's a mechanic. He hasn't been granted magic in the way a witch or T-man have... it hasn't become an intrinsic ability. You can mug him and he stops being able to do magic.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

taalismn wrote:I assume that in-universe 'mage' as a name started out belonging to only a few hardcore magic users, but like military berets, the use of the term became more widespread as more and more magic-users wanted to be identified with the 'in' crowd. So now, you got conservative old-school magic-users getting into bar and great hall fights with correspondence course-educated (or, gods helps us, online internet magic academy) spell-slingers over who's properly entitled to use the name 'mage'.

That's my headcanon. Also explains why scrolls are so incredibly expensive. They COULD be produced in great quantity, but curtailing supply keeps the proles from wielding magic all willy-nilly.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Blue_Lion wrote:This came to me when I was looking at the men of magic in RUE, the traditional casters that can learn any spell are all called mages while the mystic did not appear to be.

Some like the T-man do not cast spells at all, but instead have magical abilities.

Does "Mage" have any actual meaning anyway?

Pretty sure it was just a nickname given to magic users.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

"mage. "magician," c.1400, anglicized form of Latin magus "magician" (see magi). An "archaic" word by late 19c."

The Magi were the learned one in the time before the dark ages.
The three 'wise-men' that visited Jesus after his birth were magi from the area that is now southern Iraq. They knew about his birth due to text passed down from the time the Jews were in babylon, and watching the starts(planets).
So since mage is the english derivation of the latin magus. This learned one word meaning makes it very applicable in the game to mean that the char had to learn how to cast spells. Not 'they just knew' or 'they were handed the power'.

Return to “Rifts®”