Rifts MDC weapon mods

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Rifts MDC weapon mods

Unread post by Kelorin »

I've been playing a lot Destiny of late, which I would consider to be a RPG/FPS hybrid in that you use the shooting mechanics of traditional FPS games, but you also have the character customization and weapon/armor looting of your typical videogame RPGs. All of the better guns in the game have selectable perks (better recoil compensation, better range, better ammo capacity etc.) In most cases the perk will balance with a drawback in a different perk (for example the extended range might decrease stability or ammo capacity).

How this all applies to Rifts: I like the idea of weapons mod packages for guns, it's something that you quite a bit in Heroes Unlimited with the Hardware characters, but its kind of absent from Palladium's MDC titles.

Here are some example weapon upgrades (I haven't completely stated everything out or decided how much these mod packages ought to cost yet):
- Laser sights (already exist, typically give strike bonuses on aimed shots).
- Recoil compensation for railguns (better strike bonuses for bursts, or possibly higher damage roll reflecting more rounds hitting the intended target).
- Accelerated rails for railguns (higher velocity rounds for better damage, but increased recoil gives a strike penalty; can possibly be turned on and off).
These last two can't be combined on the same weapon.
- Energy transfer efficiency or high density batteries (shots use less e-clip power, giving more shots per clip - the energy weapons equivalent of a extended mag for kinetic weapons).
- Improved targeting damage co-processor (Replace one die of a weapon's damage roll with a flat bonus. Must be at least a 3D6 or 3D4 weapon, can't have a x10 modifier like the Boomgun. eg: A laser rifle that has a damage roll of 3D6 now becomes 2D6+6, a 4D6 weapon is now 3D6+6, etc. The max damage roll is the same, but the average damage roll is increased).

Typically any of these modifications would require an Operator, Psi-Tech or at equivalent weapons repairs/mods skills to install in addition to either custom parts or off the shelf mod kits.

Has anyone used anything similar in their games or have other examples?
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Rifts MDC weapon mods

Unread post by say652 »

The COD style mods, No. But I do allow Over under style custom weapons like Ripley used in Aliens. Grab the Duct Tape cause it's getting Real!!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Kelorin wrote:I've been playing a lot Destiny of late, which I would consider to be a RPG/FPS hybrid in that you use the shooting mechanics of traditional FPS games, but you also have the character customization and weapon/armor looting of your typical videogame RPGs. All of the better guns in the game have selectable perks (better recoil compensation, better range, better ammo capacity etc.) In most cases the perk will balance with a drawback in a different perk (for example the extended range might decrease stability or ammo capacity).

How this all applies to Rifts: I like the idea of weapons mod packages for guns, it's something that you quite a bit in Heroes Unlimited with the Hardware characters, but its kind of absent from Palladium's MDC titles.

Here are some example weapon upgrades (I haven't completely stated everything out or decided how much these mod packages ought to cost yet):
- Recoil compensation for railguns (better strike bonuses for bursts, or possibly higher damage roll reflecting more rounds hitting the intended target).
- Accelerated rails for railguns (higher velocity rounds for better damage, but increased recoil gives a strike penalty; can possibly be turned on and off).
- Energy transfer efficiency or high density batteries (shots use less e-clip power, giving more shots per clip - the energy weapons equivalent of a extended mag for kinetic weapons).
- Improved targeting damage co-processor (Replace one die of a weapon's damage roll with a flat bonus. Must be at least a 3D6 or 3D4 weapon, can't have a x10 modifier like the Boomgun. eg: A laser rifle that has a damage roll of 3D6 now becomes 2D6+6, a 4D6 weapon is now 3D6+6, etc. The max damage roll is the same, but the average damage roll is increased).

Typically any of these modifications would require an Operator, Psi-Tech or at equivalent weapons repairs/mods skills to install in addition to either custom parts or off the shelf mod kits.

My home-brew Patriot Arms Incorporated had a lot of conversion kids for modifying Coalition weapons.
Generally stuff like adding burst capability, or pulse capability, or modifying the power source.

viewtopic.php?p=2560614#p2560614
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

We've always done this sort of things in our games, but it would be a nice Rifter article. There are various pieces of add on/modification tech in the various MDC books. For example laser sights and optics(already mentioned), Russian Servo Rig(for BIG guns), Japanese SNARLS, different e-clip styles(short, long, NG self recharging etc), different railgun ammo bin sizes(clip, light drum, heavy drum etc) are all in the books with greater and lesser availability.

An Operator can add 10-20% to range, or reduce weight by 10% per RUE. My group usually used that as a guide for things like having an Operator reconfigure a rifle to bullpup to be physically smaller, or shorten the barrel on a RG to lighten it a bit for a reduction in weight, or even tweak a heavy weapon into a rifle config for a borg/PA or the otherway into a Rifts analog to a modern LMG that needs to be fired by a weaker gunner, but needs to be setup first (bipod/tripod, powerpack/ammo belt or whatever).
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Kelorin wrote:I've been playing a lot Destiny of late, which I would consider to be a RPG/FPS hybrid in that you use the shooting mechanics of traditional FPS games, but you also have the character customization and weapon/armor looting of your typical videogame RPGs. All of the better guns in the game have selectable perks (better recoil compensation, better range, better ammo capacity etc.) In most cases the perk will balance with a drawback in a different perk (for example the extended range might decrease stability or ammo capacity).

Some weapon mods I have used in my games are:
- Reflex sights grant a small bonus to initiative if already drawn
- Forward grip grants a bonus to strike while burst firing
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

My home-brew Patriot Arms Incorporated had a lot of conversion kids for modifying Coalition weapons.
Generally stuff like adding burst capability, or pulse capability, or modifying the power source.

Pulse-fire mod would be great option for both personal scale and bot scale weapons. I always think of the old Devastator's laser rifle being underpowered, but it was doing 1D6x10 per single shot (which still means it's only 2x to 3x more powerful than a human sized rifle while being about 50x larger, but hey - Rifts). Human scale weapons would need to fire at least a 3 pulse burst to match. Conceivably, just making the Devastator's weapons pulse fire ought to bring its damage output in line with a Boomgun at 3D6x10 for the laser and 3D8x10 for the Ion cannon.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Kelorin wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:My home-brew Patriot Arms Incorporated had a lot of conversion kids for modifying Coalition weapons.

Pulse-fire mod would be great option for both personal scale and bot scale weapons. I always think of the old Devastator's laser rifle being underpowered, but it was doing 1D6x10 per single shot (which still means it's only 2x to 3x more powerful than a human sized rifle while being about 50x larger, but hey - Rifts). Human scale weapons would need to fire at least a 3 pulse burst to match. Conceivably, just making the Devastator's weapons pulse fire ought to bring its damage output in line with a Boomgun at 3D6x10 for the laser and 3D8x10 for the Ion cannon.

Right.
One I wrote up was for a burst/spray conversion vehicular energy weapons, because they're often only 2d6-3d6 per blast.
And a kit that swaps the C-12's 5-shot burst for 4d6 MD with a 5-shot pulse for 1d6x10 MD, which makes the weapon better fit the description.
And a burst (not pulse) setting for the old C-27 plasma cannon.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

One mod a player of ours did was a sniper-mod.

It was a laser rifle that did something like "2D6 per shot, 1D4x10 per three-round pulse," originally. With the mod, it could do 1D4x10 on a single shot but it counted as two (or three) actions to fire (because the weapon needed time to charge the capacitators, or something).

Since a Called Aimed Shot counts as three actions anyway, it was a perfect trade-off, and helped make the character feel more "sniper-ey," while still being able to switch it back to it's default "assault" mode.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:One mod a player of ours did was a sniper-mod.

It was a laser rifle that did something like "2D6 per shot, 1D4x10 per three-round pulse," originally. With the mod, it could do 1D4x10 on a single shot but it counted as two (or three) actions to fire (because the weapon needed time to charge the capacitators, or something).

Since a Called Aimed Shot counts as three actions anyway, it was a perfect trade-off, and helped make the character feel more "sniper-ey," while still being able to switch it back to it's default "assault" mode.

Post-RUE, you can make Aimed Shots with pulses anyway.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I've added scatter-fire capabilities to a number of energy weapon types....less range and damage, but the ability to blast an area of effect(great for room-sweeping or sandblasting close formations of low-MDC enemies).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

to be honest, i do kind of wish we had official stats for energy weapon mods like we do for projectile weapons. it would help reduce some of the potential for munchkinism.
most of the MD projectile weapons can benefit from the options given for SDC weapons, given they are just firing either big projectiles or using grenade like warheads.

for energy weapons, aside from the obvious Scope/sight options:
Superior Balance - basically what the wilks weapons get automatically. +1 strike on aimed shots.
Improved Focusing System - grants an increase in range (say 25%?)
Ouput Amplifier - each shot uses twice as much power, and inflicts 50% greater damage. (basically halve the shots per eclip)
Pulse Module - Laser Only, grants a non-pulse weapon a pulse mode. (should be expensive, possibly even having a variable price based on damage)
External Power Connector - allows the weapon to be hooked up to a external power source like a Portable nuclear powerpack. (mainly so we can put some specific rules to how that works. and what the limits are)

obviously these could only be applied once each.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

glitterboy2098 wrote:to be honest, i do kind of wish we had official stats for energy weapon mods like we do for projectile weapons. it would help reduce some of the potential for munchkinism.
most of the MD projectile weapons can benefit from the options given for SDC weapons, given they are just firing either big projectiles or using grenade like warheads.

for energy weapons, aside from the obvious Scope/sight options:
Superior Balance - basically what the wilks weapons get automatically. +1 strike on aimed shots.
Improved Focusing System - grants an increase in range (say 25%?)
Ouput Amplifier - each shot uses twice as much power, and inflicts 50% greater damage. (basically halve the shots per eclip)
Pulse Module - Laser Only, grants a non-pulse weapon a pulse mode. (should be expensive, possibly even having a variable price based on damage)
External Power Connector - allows the weapon to be hooked up to a external power source like a Portable nuclear powerpack. (mainly so we can put some specific rules to how that works. and what the limits are)

obviously these could only be applied once each.

The New Navy has pulse-fire Ion rifles and vehicle mounted pulse-fire Ion guns on the Manta.

Seems like this could be good fodder for a Rifter article to expand on the capabilities of the Rifts techie classes (Operator, Psi-Mechanic, Technical Officer) to make them more like their HU Hardware and N&S Gizmoteer counterparts.

I'd also like to see some specific Rifts Operator gear such as the following:
- MDC Plasma Cutter
- High Energy Smelter: Used to melt down MDC metals.
- 3D Printer: Can be used to repair or create spare plastic made from MDC plastics (ie: Plastic-Man Armor, Wilk's weapons).
- Nano-assembler/disassembler: Higher end parts fabrication device, can be used to recycle or rebuild damaged MDC parts (either by breaking down existing parts into raw materials, or by building up new parts).
- Ablative Armor Patch kits: Can be used to bolt-on extra MDC armor onto robots and tanks.
- Weapons Mod kits: Some of the stuff we've already been discussing.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Laser only for the pulse thing is more about balance. most non-pulsing Ion, Particle beam, and Plasma weapons tend to be fairly high damage to begin with. sticking a Pulse module into a NG-L5 Laser rifle (3D6 single shot) isn't going to cause much issues. but sticking one into a NG-P7 particle Beam Rifle at 1D4x10md a blast? yeah that could be an issue. or turn a NG-57 Ion Blaster pistol (3D6md blast) into a weapon capable of outshining most pulse laser rifles?

Lasers are the class of energy weapons that usually need the most boosting. while there are exceptions for some of the sniper style weapons, the ones that lack pulse tend to be in the 1D4 to 1D6 range for pistols and 2D6 to 3D6 range for rifles. which puts a non-pulse laser rifle in roughly the same boat as a Ion or particle beam pistol.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Laser only for the pulse thing is more about balance. most non-pulsing Ion, Particle beam, and Plasma weapons tend to be fairly high damage to begin with. sticking a Pulse module into a NG-L5 Laser rifle (3D6 single shot) isn't going to cause much issues. but sticking one into a NG-P7 particle Beam Rifle at 1D4x10md a blast? yeah that could be an issue. or turn a NG-57 Ion Blaster pistol (3D6md blast) into a weapon capable of outshining most pulse laser rifles?

Lasers are the class of energy weapons that usually need the most boosting. while there are exceptions for some of the sniper style weapons, the ones that lack pulse tend to be in the 1D4 to 1D6 range for pistols and 2D6 to 3D6 range for rifles. which puts a non-pulse laser rifle in roughly the same boat as a Ion or particle beam pistol.

That's why I thought what Savage Worlds giving each type of of energy weapon a different ability was awesome. Ion weapons had a shotgun like burst while plasma weapons can light things on fire and so on and so forth.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

With a title like this topic had I was surprised (wasn't) that the OP was really talking about MD modern weapons.

RG recoil suppression would have to be like the GB's where it has an active thrust producing system that counters the recoil.

RailGun "over clocking" would have chance with each shot of cooking off the railgun due to that the org. parts were not made to handle the stresses of turning up the power and changing the programing to fire off the rounds faster.
Better to just buy a railgun that is better then to try to up-gun a old one.

Energy Efficiency of DEWs is a function of the quality of the design. Better to just buy a railgun that is better then to try to up-gun a old one. Thus the why the Anti-tank laser in SA2 is less efficient then the NA lasers of the same damage rating.
The energy weapons equivalent of a extended mag for firearms is the Long E-Clip.

Improved targeting damage co-processor would require the weapon to be a smart weapon that fires smart ammo…and a projectile weapon cause smart ammo has to be projectiles. But this crosses the line into the missile rules.

high energy density batteries----> a.k.a E-clips. The Rifts NA is already at a peak plateau that is the same one the those in the 3G setting. so it would take a mechanical hardware genus (See HU2) to make improvements to the current energy storage tech of the NA. Saying that, making improvements in the energy management tech of Rifts South America is possible.

Operators would be able to build up to the current tech level of the local area without much difficulty. But surpassing the local tech there, I would set it to have "alien tech" penalties (see HU2 hardware mechanical penalties) to make those modifications.

Psi-techs (from psyscape) would be able to make modifications within their listed abilities. I would consider devices with these modifications to be minor psionic devices. As such mundanes would not be able to replicate their modifications.

Could TW's make similar modifications as a Psi-Tech? I would let them make similar as minor enchantments that didn't need any addition physical components. (i.o.w. no gems). However, it would be by GM fiat for a good player.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

I have Phase World-style gravity-guns have the potential to be modified with active gravitational counter-baffling that negates recoil, especially on bursts. or heavier weapons, this means lighter frames, since they don't have to be more sturdily built to soak up recoil. The counter-baffling also makes them more useful for operation in zero-gee. It's a complex modification, but a handy one.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

dragonfett wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:Laser only for the pulse thing is more about balance. most non-pulsing Ion, Particle beam, and Plasma weapons tend to be fairly high damage to begin with. sticking a Pulse module into a NG-L5 Laser rifle (3D6 single shot) isn't going to cause much issues. but sticking one into a NG-P7 particle Beam Rifle at 1D4x10md a blast? yeah that could be an issue. or turn a NG-57 Ion Blaster pistol (3D6md blast) into a weapon capable of outshining most pulse laser rifles?

That's why I thought what Savage Worlds giving each type of of energy weapon a different ability was awesome. Ion weapons had a shotgun like burst while plasma weapons can light things on fire and so on and so forth.

honestly, i like that too.. but that still leaves lasers kinda in the dark. i man, particle beams have bremsstrahlung, and thus might be able to do some damage through armor, or something. Plasma clearly has heat effects. ion doesn't really have anything thing IRL but the Savage Rifts thing could carry over there. but lasers just kinda do damage.

i don't see why you couldn't have both Mod options and optional secondary effects for energy weapons.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Continuous Beam---I got this from a description in Larry Niven's Known Space series, specifically the Gil Hamil stories, where he mentions restrictions on hunting lasers...they have to be modulated to fire in intermittent pulses, since it would be unfair and unsporting to wildlife for a hunter to wander around the forest waving a laser sword a half-mile long.
Of course, such a mod eats up the juice faster and puts strain on the weapon components, but it makes it easier to play the beam across a target. I can see such a mod also working for plasma weapons, besides lasers, since the mod is essentially the torch form of both weapons, only writ larger with greater range.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Continuous Beam--LN's KS also has a laser flash light that has variable focus and intensity. So it can change the 'effected area" (cone) and change from just lighting an area to setting things afire. (Ringworld (1st book I think))

While possible it would be a power drain on the power source and would have a chance, when held too long, of cooking off the weapon's mechanics. Lasers would have the longest 'safe' duration, with Plasma Beam weapons would have the shortest ""Safe"" duration. (yep, got to say plasma beam weapons to differentiate between the "super NAPALM" plasma weapons and the '4th state of matter' plasma weapons.)
Safe durations being shorter then a full melee round before needing to cool off for 3 melee rounds. And if the char ignores these perameters the weapon ether melts (on the non-critical end, more likely with lasers) to blows up in their hands (at the crit-failure end, more likely with plasma beams).

With this mod you could possible use the HU2 burst damage multiplier tables.
However, I would also limit the base damage (single 'round') done by the energy weapons with this modification.

Of course developing the tables for the failure rates and crit failure tables would take some time if you are not just going to have munchkin rules thaty say they don't fail ever.
(note: still talking about modified weapons by individuals. Not those that have been full field tested and put into mass production by a arms company.)
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Continuous Beam--LN's KS also has a laser flash light that has variable focus and intensity. So it can change the 'effected area" (cone) and change from just lighting an area to setting things afire. (Ringworld (1st book I think))

While possible it would be a power drain on the power source and would have a chance, when held too long, of cooking off the weapon's mechanics. Lasers would have the longest 'safe' duration, with Plasma Beam weapons would have the shortest ""Safe"" duration. (yep, got to say plasma beam weapons to differentiate between the "super NAPALM" plasma weapons and the '4th state of matter' plasma weapons.)
Safe durations being shorter then a full melee round before needing to cool off for 3 melee rounds. And if the char ignores these perameters the weapon ether melts (on the non-critical end, more likely with lasers) to blows up in their hands (at the crit-failure end, more likely with plasma beams).

With this mod you could possible use the HU2 burst damage multiplier tables.
However, I would also limit the base damage (single 'round') done by the energy weapons with this modification..)

Fair enough. If I tackle any new Naruni weaponry as a project, I'll bear that in mind as a possible path to explore(along with its limitations).
Though a heavier plasma weapon, using a focused magnetic field to push the excited plasma out of the 'combustion' chamber before it can damage the weapon might be possible? More of a spacecraft plasma drive on a vehicle weapon mounting, and you'd have to contend with recoil/thrust :twisted: (Kzinti Lesson anybody?)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Officially there is very little you can do other than be a TW to modify weapons.
Like others I have my house rules I use for weapons and weapon creation. I have a bunch of qualites that can be added like making a laser full auto, adding rail systems and what not.

I even ran a few games where people where testing new CS gear made using the rules I use to make new gear. The belt fed machine gun using modified rounds from the Triax pump pistol was popular and gave the CS a true man portable crew served weapon.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:I even ran a few games where people where testing new CS gear made using the rules I use to make new gear. The belt fed machine gun using modified rounds from the Triax pump pistol was popular and gave the CS a true man portable crew served weapon.

Okay, you've just given me a new kludged-up weapon for Clan Gothec(a Shemarrian offshoot tribe of free robots who make themselves from battlefield salvage in Europe). Thanks! :ok: 8) :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote: (Kzinti Lesson anybody?)

That humans, as a group, make horrible prey?
Blue_Lion
Knight

taalismn wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:I even ran a few games where people where testing new CS gear made using the rules I use to make new gear. The belt fed machine gun using modified rounds from the Triax pump pistol was popular and gave the CS a true man portable crew served weapon.

Okay, you've just given me a new kludged-up weapon for Clan Gothec(a Shemarrian offshoot tribe of free robots who make themselves from battlefield salvage in Europe). Thanks! :ok: 8) :bandit:

well I am glad I could help inspire you.

Basically stat wise I would say increased range (that was the modification tot he round added larger casing for propellant) and burst modifiers to the pistol damaged.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Basically stat wise I would say increased range (that was the modification tot he round added larger casing for propellant) and burst modifiers to the pistol damaged.

Yeah, well, now I'm building a whole freakin' Warmount around the idea of replenishing the stocks of all the TX ammo that the new machine guns are going to be popping off. Thanks! :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

taalismn wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Yeah, well, now I'm building a whole freakin' Warmount around the idea of replenishing the stocks of all the TX ammo that the new machine guns are going to be popping off. Thanks! :P

Oh, you know I'm waiting for this.
Oooh... extend the range even more: magnetically acceleration..
Do pump rounds need a hammer to trigger or are they electric fired? I don't have my books handy
taalismn
Priest

kronos wrote:[

Oh, you know I'm waiting for this.
Oooh... extend the range even more: magnetically acceleration..
Do pump rounds need a hammer to trigger or are they electric fired? I don't have my books handy

Done....fastest Warmount I've done.
I figure they're manually fired...the TX-6 sports a cocking hammer in the illo for it.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

It is amazing how one little idea can spark so much for rifts.

But then again it was popular for a reason in my games.

Things like this make me wonder if I should type up all my work so I can post it in a thread to posibally inspire people.

Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

Blue_Lion wrote:It is amazing how one little idea can spark so much for rifts.

Things like this make me wonder if I should type up all my work so I can post it in a thread to posibally inspire people.

That's the sort of stuff I was fishing for by posting this thread. I'm others would appreciate it as well.
taalismn
Priest

Kitten Launchers all the way, dude. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:

There is already a Shadow Kitten launcher…..somewhere in the hay stack.
Blue_Lion
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:

There is already a Shadow Kitten launcher…..somewhere in the hay stack.

I think I once made TW kitten launcher that shot and enhanced kittens into MD death machines but I have also weaponized Teddy bears.

Lets see I also had the CS use a shot gun that fired nero capacitors basally ranged nero mace.

Rail systems are way useful for custmizing weapons. Top can mount intechageable optics. Sides and bottom can have laser sights tatical flash flashlights ext. The bottom can have a forgrip or under barrel weapon such as a shot gun, or grenade launcher(I even allow under barrel triax pump pistols) I also allow under barrel grapling hooks and small scale vibro chain saw blade under the barrel.

Full auto is useful.

Built in charger-an atomic battery that can slowly recharge a eclip or internal power supply.

Underwater operation add on to most weapons.

Biometric or RFID safety locks

Gun camms

Increase range
Adding built in V blade for mellee.

those are just a few off the top of my head that in theory can be added to most weapons.

I also have a laser mini gun that does 1d6X10 for a 60 round burst.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn
Priest

Supercavitatng ammunition for projectile guns and rail guns underwater.
Likewise, blue-green frequency for lasers.

I'm working on 'blinder' laser modes for lasers...good for burning retinas and unshielded optics gear.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:Supercavitatng ammunition for projectile guns and rail guns underwater.
Likewise, blue-green frequency for lasers.

I'm working on 'blinder' laser modes for lasers...good for burning retinas and unshielded optics gear.

Supercavitatng ammunition for projectile weapons: I would limit these Vitro-Bullets for projectile weapons of the higher caliber rounds and/or from tech bases that that has regular space travel. Arrows already have vitro-heads for them.

Underwater rail-guns: I would presume that this would mean they are sealed better (+1-5 MDC) so they have better depth tolerance, larger ammo cap. (fewer times needing to reload), with a trapdoor end cap to keep the water out of the barrel. Otherwise I don't see how you could make them specifically for underwater use.

blue-green lasers: (change the name and add 15% mark-up for those in stores.) This would be a complete core change for the modern weapon. Unless there is a B-G laser core available in the weapons engineer's boxes or random parts, these would be not available on the retail market. And the cores would cost x2 or x10 times as much as a normal laser core if custom made.

blinder mode for lasers: in the 3G setting this would be a grav. lens (CG effect) attachment to the pistol or rifle (-1s for pistols) that spreads the beam slightly so it covers an certain area at a certain distance.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:[

Underwater rail-guns: I would presume that this would mean they are sealed better (+1-5 MDC) so they have better depth tolerance, larger ammo cap. (fewer times needing to reload), with a trapdoor end cap to keep the water out of the barrel. Otherwise I don't see how you could make them specifically for underwater use..

The Rifts Underseas Splugorth/Kittani section makes note that Kittani underwater rail guns use special ammunition, which I assume to be either specially shaped or supercavitating ammunition, or some combination of both.
Some sort of 'smart material' membrane might be used to seal the muzzle, with some slight loss in muzzle velocity.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

*smirks at the the 'special ammunition' handwavium*
Yep, they sidestepped details.
*pawwaves*
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

dragonfett wrote:

I did that a few years ago. Added splash damage to plasma blasters, Partial beams that would ether have knock down or as a blast wave that keeps going if the damage is greater then the MDC to the target.

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:[

Underwater rail-guns: I would presume that this would mean they are sealed better (+1-5 MDC) so they have better depth tolerance, larger ammo cap. (fewer times needing to reload), with a trapdoor end cap to keep the water out of the barrel. Otherwise I don't see how you could make them specifically for underwater use..

The Rifts Underseas Splugorth/Kittani section makes note that Kittani underwater rail guns use special ammunition, which I assume to be either specially shaped or supercavitating ammunition, or some combination of both.
Some sort of 'smart material' membrane might be used to seal the muzzle, with some slight loss in muzzle velocity.

They could be using Air as the base propellet or they can be using Coil guns.

As for mods I changed the firing pins and barrels of some SDC guns to MDC, so they can fire Laser or ramjet rounds. Was wondering how people design Railgun rounds? I use Fletchlette or Sabot design. using less propellant and letting the rails accelerate the round. this has allowed me to create custom rounds like fin stabilized, expanding, ext.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

railguns in rifts are already coilguns, and don't use propellant at all. (except maybe the boomgun, which appears to be a hybrid system of some sort)

as far as "special ammunition" for underwater use.. not actually an implausibility. IRL there are already special ammunition weapons for use underwater, typically using long thin spikes for best hydrodynamic properties, like the APS Underwater Rifle, the ASM-DT Amphibious Rifle, or in smaller and more compact form, the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADS_amphibious_rifle]ADS Amphibious Rifle. in a more advanced design standpoint, there are also the blunt nosed spikes developed as Supercavitating ammunition, which while a bit short ranged right now could have fairly impressive range with the power of a railgun behind it (and a few generations of materials and shape improvements)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:railguns in rifts are already coilguns, and don't use propellant at all. (except maybe the boomgun, which appears to be a hybrid system of some sort)

as far as "special ammunition" for underwater use.. not actually an implausibility. IRL there are already special ammunition weapons for use underwater, typically using long thin spikes for best hydrodynamic properties, like the APS Underwater Rifle, the ASM-DT Amphibious Rifle, or in smaller and more compact form, the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADS_amphibious_rifle]ADS Amphibious Rifle. in a more advanced design standpoint, there are also the blunt nosed spikes developed as Supercavitating ammunition, which while a bit short ranged right now could have fairly impressive range with the power of a railgun behind it (and a few generations of materials and shape improvements)

Had to reread that and you're right. They do describe them as Coil guns. Man the number of coils has got to be massive, might as well just use rails. I've bin using Coil guns just for explosive, or specialty rounds. As for underwater what about ramjets? They should work just as well underwater as they do above.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

ramjets, like ramjet rounds, use a burning fuel oxidized by the air passing through them to gain their boost. under water there is no air to burn, so ramjets would not work.

you could use self contained rockets (which provide their own oxidizer) and supercavitation inducing shape, but by that point you basically have WB7's mini-torpedoes. (the torpedoes in WB7 have speed and accuracy comparable to the russian VA-111 Shkval supercavitating torpedo. given the WB7 description also describes them as "underwater missiles" this highly suggests they are rocket powered supercavitation weapons. one of the reasons i added the "explosive tipped miniature submarine" type widespread today, like the Mk48 ADCAP for example, to my "deep frontier' article.. supercavitating torpedoes are pretty advanced tech, but you can make the slower but more accurate propeller driven types with fairly basic manufacturing.)
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

glitterboy2098 wrote:ramjets, like ramjet rounds, use a burning fuel oxidized by the air passing through them to gain their boost. under water there is no air to burn, so ramjets would not work.

you could use self contained rockets (which provide their own oxidizer) and supercavitation inducing shape, but by that point you basically have WB7's mini-torpedoes. (the torpedoes in WB7 have speed and accuracy comparable to the russian VA-111 Shkval supercavitating torpedo. given the WB7 description also describes them as "underwater missiles" this highly suggests they are rocket powered supersaturation weapons. one of the reasons i added the "explosive tipped miniature submarine" type widespread today, like the Mk48 ADCAP for example, to my "deep frontier' article.. supercavitating torpedoes are pretty advanced tech, but you can make the slower but more accurate propeller driven types with fairly basic manufacturing.)

What about hydrojet? Although making a centrifugal pump small enough to be of use might be a little difficult in anything smaller than a mini torpedo?
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I would guess the power output would be useless, but that's never stopped miniaturisation before. :)

As a side note, where are they described as coil guns?
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

My understanding is the descriptions are never clear enough such that it could go either way. On the hand, I don't read much Rifts.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

my statement is deductive in nature. we know that they have to be either coil or rail based systems, as they do not require propellant.
coil based systems use electromagnetic fields to accelerate the round, and thus require the round to include ferrous (or at least ferromagnetic) materials to give those electromagnetic coils something to effect.
rail systems use arcing electrical current (not magnetic fields), and merely require the projectile to include conductive elements.

Rifts "railgns" are described as electromagnetic weapons, and require ferrous or ferromagnetic materials for their ammunition. which makes them highly likely to be Coil based systems.

it is possible that there are some actual rail based systems mixed in*, but it is safe to assume coilguns as the baseline.

(personally, i am inclined ot assume that any 'gatling railgun' uses the rail system, as the rotary multibarrel gatling design is superfluous in a coilgun. spinning the coil assembly's wouldn't really increase the rate of fire at all, since that is tied to the reactivation rate on the coils. but given the wear on the rails in a rail system, using multiple barrels would allow for rapid fire without wearing out the rails as fast, and spinning them would allow you to synchronize their firing pattern to create a single stream of rounds as opposed to a cloud if fired from just massed barrels.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Thanks, very helpful. I don't recall reading about the ferrous ammo but it turns out that rail guns don't come up much for me so I'd easily miss it.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

If you have current, then you have magnetic fields, no?
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

There is a magnetic field and it is a component of the force which creates the acceleration on the ammo, but it's orthogonal to the direction of that force. I think that's what he means.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

lather wrote:If you have current, then you have magnetic fields, no?

lorentz effect is a type of electromagnetic effect yes, but it is the current that does the work, the weapon itself is not actually an electromagnet. just two conductive rails that get bridged by the projectile.

it is a bit like comparing a rocket to an internal combustion engine. both use the pressure of burning fuel to create motive force, but the methods by which they do so are wildly different. and to claim a car is a rocket because it has an exhaust is about as accurate as claiming that a railgun uses electromagnetic fields to move the projectile.

rifts railguns are are described as using electromagnets to propel the rounds (RMB pg225, and RUE pg270 actually reprints this exactly)

"A rail gun is an electro-magnetic system mass driver that fires metal
spikes, balls, or rings at such a high velocity that the projectiles inflict
massive amounts of damage. The projectiles need no gunpowder or
explosive charges to inflict mega-damage, thus they are inexpensive to
make and popular throughout the land."

a Mass Driver is generally a type of coil gun, and the use of terms like electromagnetic and the metal specification for the projectiles pretty much cinch it.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Great link :ok:; I had no idea 'mass driver' had come to represent any specific system.

Return to “Rifts®”