re-juicing of the Orc

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

re-juicing of the Orc

Unread post by Axelmania »

I seem to remember an argument a while ago because the conversion book said that Orcs were often Juicers (some might have been mentioned in Vampire Kingdoms too, hard to remember) but then Juicer Uprising said they couldn't...

Just realized that Conversion Book Revised which came out AFTER Juicer Uprising seems to have compromised here, it says they CAN be juiced (contradicting JU) but that it often fails and messes them up, which I'm okay with, suits their psychology.

Wondering if anyone has any stories of Orc Juicers in their campaigns.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: re-juicing of the Orc

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I don't have any stories of Orc Juicers, but I tend to run juicers under the "fantasy sci-fi" rules... I like to weave as much science as possible in, while letting the core assumptions of the technology stand.

So, I figure the main obstacle to Orc Juicers is a different physiology. It may be as simple as "Orc Juicers need a bio-comp programmed for orcs, and some different drugs in different proportions", which would tend to be my assumption for a relatively non-magic race. It might be weirder and more complex (i.e. Orcs, being faerie creatures at core, have a violent and unexpected reaction to some part of the Juicer process), but I tend to avoid explanations like that, barring other evidence.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Yup old buddy
Had a orc juicer ,along with a few others before wb10 come out good times
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

If they can do juicer conversions on Elves and Dwarves Orcs can't be impossible. Some types might not be viable such as Delphi since orcs cannot be psionic.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Before Algor became mdc I was a Fan of Delphi Juicer Frost Giants.

I say House Rule.

I don't see the harm in high Sdc creatures getting Juiced.

Orcs are not really High Sdc so again I don't so the Harm.

Before they cracked down on the Juice Rules, I had an Amaki House of Juicers that retired into the House of Cyborgs.

Games are supposed to be fun, and if Playing an Orc Juicer is your fun I say Rocc On.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Nox Equites wrote:If they can do juicer conversions on Elves and Dwarves Orcs can't be impossible.

How do you figure that?

Orc biology could be radically different from either, or even not radically, just different enough to make it impossible.

They are fictional races. they can be as similar or different as desired ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

You can go with the Maxi Killer. It seams that unless you are a shapeshifter or a Supernatural creature you can use this.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

rem1093 wrote:You can go with the Maxi Killer. It seams that unless you are a shapeshifter or a Supernatural creature you can use this.

For The Win.

You are 100% Correct
Nox Equites
Explorer

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nox Equites wrote:If they can do juicer conversions on Elves and Dwarves Orcs can't be impossible.

How do you figure that?

Orc biology could be radically different from either, or even not radically, just different enough to make it impossible.

Considering that orcs are stated as being power obsessed enough to try anything for an edge, including borg conversion, you wouldn't have trouble finding test subjects.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nox Equites wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

How do you figure that?

Considering that orcs are stated as being power obsessed enough to try anything for an edge, including borg conversion, you wouldn't have trouble finding test subjects.

True...
...but that doesn't mean that it will WORK.
The GM can allow it or not as they see fit.
But that is something that the orc wont know until they submit.
That said I can see Orcs willing to go along with all sorts of things that might grant an edge.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nox Equites wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

How do you figure that?

Sure? You can try to juice an orc. Dosn't mean they'll be sucessful
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre

As I said earlier, one can invent any number of reasons why the juicing process won't work on an orc, but I don't see any particular reason why it would not. If they had some innate magical powers, or even a mild form of regeneration, there'd be an argument for it, but "Orcs cannot ever be juiced" is simply fiat, barring some other reason.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

I wouldn't say its flatly impossible. I just am saying we don't know it is possible. Fictional races can have arbitrary rules.

Just playing devils advocate here. I would likely allow an orc juicer myself if I were GMing.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:As I said earlier, one can invent any number of reasons why the juicing process won't work on an orc, but I don't see any particular reason why it would not. If they had some innate magical powers, or even a mild form of regeneration, there'd be an argument for it, but "Orcs cannot ever be juiced" is simply fiat, barring some other reason.

Just to play devils advocate then...
...Arn't orc's supposed to be a debased descendant of a fairy folk or some such?
Which could mean that somewhere in there metabolism there is still enough nonsuchioum that the KoolBoost++ carrier drug that everyone uses catalyzes and you get cyanide as a side effect?

As a GM I would house rule that it would be allowed...
...but that would have to be a house rule since we don't know what it is about there metabolism that prevents it... since none of us know anything about the workings of either their imaginary metabolism or the chemical processes involved in the imaginary juicer process.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Aren't orcs one of the listed species that can be juiced? I haven't looked over the stats in the various books in a while but I seem to remember orcs being on that list.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Library Ogre

eliakon wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:As I said earlier, one can invent any number of reasons why the juicing process won't work on an orc, but I don't see any particular reason why it would not. If they had some innate magical powers, or even a mild form of regeneration, there'd be an argument for it, but "Orcs cannot ever be juiced" is simply fiat, barring some other reason.

Just to play devils advocate then...
...Arn't orc's supposed to be a debased descendant of a fairy folk or some such?
Which could mean that somewhere in there metabolism there is still enough nonsuchioum that the KoolBoost++ carrier drug that everyone uses catalyzes and you get cyanide as a side effect?

As a GM I would house rule that it would be allowed...
...but that would have to be a house rule since we don't know what it is about there metabolism that prevents it... since none of us know anything about the workings of either their imaginary metabolism or the chemical processes involved in the imaginary juicer process.

As I said earlier, one can invent any number of reasons why the juicing process won't work on an orc , but "Orcs cannot ever be juiced" is simply fiat

Once again, for the people in the back.

All Palladium Articles
Axelmania
Knight

Elves and Dwarves aren't explicitly related to faerie folk like Goblins/Hobgoblins/Kobolds/Orcs are.

rem1093 wrote:You can go with the Maxi Killer. It seams that unless you are a shapeshifter or a Supernatural creature you can use this.

"So far, no variant of Juicer augmentation works on them" (JU16) implies that even this wouldn't work on Trolls/Orcs/Goblins/Giants.

It's POSSIBLE that the Splugorth hadn't gotten around to trying it out, but I find it hard to believe that Splynncryth doesn't have some Goblin/Orc slaves to spare for varied racial experimentation on the Maxi-Killer symbiote.

JUp54 does have a pretty loose "a variety of human-like D-Bees" statement, but goblins/orcs don't seem as human-like as dwarves/elves.

Then again... Kydians/Wolfen/Simvan/Hawrk don't seem closer to humans than orcs/goblins so it could be a pretty loose 'like' referring to perhaps just being humanoid?

Nightmask wrote:Aren't orcs one of the listed species that can be juiced? I haven't looked over the stats in the various books in a while but I seem to remember orcs being on that list.

I'll elaborate what I mentioned in the OP.

Conversion Book p 91 "orcs have been known to embrace all manner of human augmentation, especially bionic conversions and crazies and juicer conversions"

Juicer Uprising p 15 "Orcs, Goblins and Giants: These D-Bees come primarily from the Palladium World and similar places of magic. So far, no variant of Juicer augmentation works on them."

Conversion Book Revised p 102 "Attempts at Juicer conversions are only successful 1-33% of the time."

Thus the title being 're-juicing' because CB juiced them, JU un-juiced them, CBR re-juiced, but with a compromise between CB/JU in that it only works for less than 1/3 and the failures die or become vegetables.
Nox Equites
Explorer

As per original CB1 there is no commentary about orcs having fae ancestry. That would be goblins. One interpretation of the WB10 wording is that orcs can only be standard juicers. Poor memories and phrasing don't combine well.
Library Ogre

Nox Equites wrote:As per original CB1 there is no commentary about orcs having fae ancestry. That would be goblins. One interpretation of the WB10 wording is that orcs can only be standard juicers. Poor memories and phrasing don't combine well.

Palladium Fantasy RPG, 2nd edition, p. 299 wrote:Goblins, hob-goblins, kobolds and orcs are believed to be malicious, ugly members of the faerie folk, but except for the Cobbler Goblin, these races lack any natural magic powers.

All Palladium Articles
Axelmania
Knight

Nox Equites wrote:As per original CB1 there is no commentary about orcs having fae ancestry. That would be goblins.

Page 91 didn't mention this under Orcs like it did for the Goblins, but page 99 mentioned Gobs/Hobs/Kobs/Orcs all as cousins to Faerie Folk.

Nox Equites wrote:One interpretation of the WB10 wording is that orcs can only be standard juicers. Poor memories and phrasing don't combine well.

WB10 outright forbid it, I believe the 1/3 success rate in CBR was a compromise between that and the original CB having it be a popular OCC choice.

So basically it's popular... many Orcs become Juicers... and then 2/3 of them die soon after, but that doesn't seem to slow them down.

Return to “Rifts®”