Race building...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Race building...

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Okay, the two books I have found that cover this, still leave a lot out, understandably as there is such a thing as imagination...
Anyways, my request for opinions and/or ideas...
I am building a race based with quasi spatial distortion around it, but there are no rules for miss chances that I could find, so what do you folks suggest? I suppose we could just add Auto-Dodge, but I rather like the displacement thing. I would have it be activated with a time limit and PPE or ISP cost. Most of the stats are coming from existing creatures like the cats from South America because I really don't want to make it too OP or OP at all really.
Also, it has four arms and the only other creature I could think of that has four arms are Rahu-Men and they get 4 more attacks. 4 more attacks seems really OP to me so I am thinking maybe 2 more and for melee purposes only, but what do you all think?
Last edited by HarleeKnight on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Race building...

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

1: palladium does not do arbitrary miss chance seperate from the core strike/parry/dodge. Blindness, ect, just result in a -10 srtike/parry/dodge, which may be crippling or annoying depending on how high your bonus is.

2: no conversions of D&D races is allowed on this forum. A race that is quasi spatially distorted is fine. "Displacer beasts" is not.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Nekira Sudacne wrote:1: palladium does not do arbitrary miss chance seperate from the core strike/parry/dodge. Blindness, ect, just result in a -10 srtike/parry/dodge, which may be crippling or annoying depending on how high your bonus is.

I figured but I think we got it figured out

Nekira Sudacne wrote:2: no conversions of D&D races is allowed on this forum. A race that is quasi spatially distorted is fine. "Displacer beasts" is not.

I was unaware so I will edit. Thanks.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Something like spell Multiple Image might be something to look at
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

Also, the Rahu-Men get the extra attacks for being Rahu-Men. Look under the Cybernetics/Bionics section about extra arms. You get +1 attacks for ever two arms you have.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

HarleeKnight wrote:I am building a race based with quasi spatial distortion around it, but there are no rules for miss chances that I could find, so what do you folks suggest?

Not quite sure what you are looking for.

Under RMB (pg34, and some of the older main books like HU2E, RT1E, etc) that aren't in RUE (after a quick look) when spraying an area there was a percentage chance of hitting a bystander. That might provide some help, it might not.

The only other thing I could think of that hasn't been suggested is to adapt the concept of Natural AR to the race that raises the minimum value to hit (I know its technically an SDC area, but it shows that the minimum target number can be altered).

HarleeKnight wrote:Also, it has four arms and the only other creature I could think of that has four arms are Rahu-Men and they get 4 more attacks. 4 more attacks seems really OP to me so I am thinking maybe 2 more and for melee purposes only, but what do you all think?

There are several races with multiple arms beyond the Rahu-men, aside from the Xiticix (RMB/WB23). If you have D-Bees of North America (alternate sources provided) checkout: Vernulians (WB1o), Lyn-Srial (WB14), Spinne (new). WB21 has the Octomen, WB2 has several (Shaydor Spherian, Conservators, Slaver, Erta, Metzla), and probably a few that I'm not thinking of at the moment.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

General rule for extra arms is a set of extra arms grants one attack.
There are rules for generating random races in a book can't remember if it was a book for AU or phase world.

The displacement power could be used a penalty to hit or a modified parry/auto dodge roll. Another option would be treat all ranged attacks as shooting wild.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

We thought about the Multiple Image, but that is a 75% miss chance, too high, we thought.
Auto-Dodge was on the table too, but it isn't a spatial distortion,
so we figured the easiest way, and also closest to the original idea, was to have the attacker Save vs. Illusion every time they attack, if it fails -4(+1 for every odd level) to their strike. This way it gets harder as you go up in level, but it still isn't too OP.

The four arms we finally found, so we went with what was in the rules.
dragonfett
Knight

HarleeKnight wrote:We thought about the Multiple Image, but that is a 75% miss chance, too high, we thought.
Auto-Dodge was on the table too, but it isn't a spatial distortion,
so we figured the easiest way, and also closest to the original idea, was to have the attacker Save vs. Illusion every time they attack, if it fails -4(+1 for every odd level) to their strike. This way it gets harder as you go up in level, but it still isn't too OP.

The four arms we finally found, so we went with what was in the rules.

I wasn't saying to use it word for word. Besides, the base miss percentage for Multiple Image is 75% because the spell creates three copies of you, for a total of 4 images (the real you, and the three fake ones). When an individual image is dispelled (by attacking with cold iron), the miss percentage drops from 3/4 to 2/3, then from 2/3 to 1/2.

Alternatively, you could just say that the miss percent is 10% (or 20%, or what ever you as the GM, if you are the GM, feels would be appropriate).
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Huh? Multiple image dosn't have a 75% miss chance, or any miss change. it just gives +2 initative, +2 dodge and +1 strike.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Blue_Lion wrote:There are rules for generating random races in a book can't remember if it was a book for AU or phase world.

Phaseworld (Dimension Book 2) does have a table for generating random races, there is also one in Heroes Unlimited main book (Alien Power Category), and I wouldn't be surprised if a similar table was in one of the Aliens Unlimited books.

dragonfett wrote:Something like spell Multiple Image might be something to look at

Multiple Image (spell), Swap Places (spell), or Phase Powers (in Dimension Book 2) might also be worth a look. I thought there was a variant of Multiple Image that allowed one to swap places with illusions, and I found it in the Phase Powers.

Return to “Rifts®”