exploiting the Glitter Boy's unique inability to parry

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Re: exploiting the Glitter Boy's unique inability to parry

Unread post by Axelmania »

Sprays no longer being a mechanic in RUE only serves to support that this portion of the gun description was reprinted without any attention paid to it, no intent of updating it, whether to avoid mentioning a possibly-defunct option of Spray or to reiterate an overridden line as a means of overriding the override.

I say POSSIBLY defunct, because even if RUE didn't reprint the classic burst rules for spraying, that doesn't necessarily mean you can't spray at least using classic SDC weapons anymore. Didn't GMG reprint a lot of that stuff?

Where is the boom gun called a single shot weapon? It has a single round which contains 4 rows of 50 (total 200) flechette-slugs.

A "blast" can have more than 1 projectile. The blast from a fragmentation grenade or missile, for example.

The actual description doesn't provide (prove?) otherwise, it simply reprints a line which Kevin put into context in 1991 and 2001: the boomgun fires a single kind of burst at +1 to strike, it doesn't have multiple bursting options (short/long/full for example) nor can its singular burst spray.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Notice the fall-away sheath hitting the ballistic gel first, before the flechettes strike.

Which doesn't necessarily mean the fall-away sheath of a Boom Gun round operates this way, it could fall away while exiting the barrel.

It's how flechette rounds operate as a rule.
That doesn't mean that a Boom Gun flechette round isn't an exception to the rule, but there's no reason to assume that it IS an exception unless that is stated somewhere.
And AFAIK, it isn't stated anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour-piercing_discarding_sabot#Sabot_discard is a step towards this theme:
"the setback forces shear the forward petals, partly unlocking the sub-projectile from the sabot"
"pressure is used to delay the unlocking of the pins holding the rear part of the sub-projectile "
"forward petals are released or discarded by projectile spin, the aerodynamic drag removes the pot/base unit"

You could just set this up so it happens row-by-row as the round exits 1/4 1/2 3/4

You could do a lot of things, but there is no indication that the GB round is anything other than a standard flechette round.
If it was a sabot round, then I expect that would have been mentioned at some point.
It isn't.

If you look at the "CASING-EJECTOR" illustration above the "AMMUNITION" illustration it supports this interpretation. I understand the assumption that the 2 labels "shell casing" pointing to the left and "fall away sheath" pointing to the right lead some to think these are 2 discrete things, but I think the sheath is actually a sub-group of the casing.

Unless the books state otherwise, then I would assume that the "shell casing" is a shell casing, and that the "fall away sheath" is a fall away sheath.

Killer Cyborg wrote:I guess that depends on what you mean by "disavowed."
RUE 72
Rate of Fire: Each booming blast counts as one melee attack/action. Bursts and sprays are not possible.

RMB 223
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks of the pilot and his power armor... [u]Bursts and sprays are not possible![u]

Which proves my point: the BASANP disclaimer was present in both versions, so any clarifying statements made about it apply equally to the reprint.

If your point is that bursts and sprays are not possible with the Boom Gun, then I and the official books agree with you.

Killer Cyborg wrote:Logically, the CB1 usage of "burst" twice instead of "blast" is a typo, but even if it represented a rule-change from the RMB, that rule-change ended with RUE (if not before).

There is no reasonable way that is a typo, especially since KS writes +1 for bursts instead of +3

What's the full quote there?

How is it not a sabot round? Just because Kevin didn't know what the word was doesn't change the facts.
Definition of sabot: a device that ensures the correct positioning of a bullet or shell in the barrel of a gun, attached either to the projectile or inside the barrel and falling away as it leaves the muzzle. Often bit not always including a driving band to trap the propellant.
Boom gun has no propellant but the sheath would have to make contact with rails otherwise there is no propulsion, a railgun doesn't work by induction or pull from gauss fields. The casing also ensures the proper placement within the barrel.
Now the weapon being a railgun the fall away casing would more correctly be an armature
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armatur ... ngineering)
Which is the piece of whatever design used to push the projectile. The armature must be conductive. IRL the armature normally turns to plasma creating an arcflash, making a weapon that wouldnt normally have a muzzle flash have a huge one.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Zer0 Kay wrote:How is it not a sabot round?

Because a shot wad is not typically considered a sabot.

http://gizmodo.com/whats-inside-a-shotg ... 1694115293
Shot Wad: A plastic cup or similar shape that holds the shot together as it exits the barrel; these can be tailored to help maintain a tight pattern of shot out to a longer range. The size and shape of the shot wad is often a major distinction between brands, you'll see these listed as "FliteControl" or similar. The wad is caught by the air once it exits the gun and falls behind the shot as that travels to your target.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Axelmania wrote:Sprays no longer being a mechanic in RUE only serves to support that this portion of the gun description was reprinted without any attention paid to it, no intent of updating it, whether to avoid mentioning a possibly-defunct option of Spray or to reiterate an overridden line as a means of overriding the override.

I say POSSIBLY defunct, because even if RUE didn't reprint the classic burst rules for spraying, that doesn't necessarily mean you can't spray at least using classic SDC weapons anymore. Didn't GMG reprint a lot of that stuff?

Where is the boom gun called a single shot weapon? It has a single round which contains 4 rows of 50 (total 200) flechette-slugs.

A "blast" can have more than 1 projectile. The blast from a fragmentation grenade or missile, for example.

The actual description doesn't provide (prove?) otherwise, it simply reprints a line which Kevin put into context in 1991 and 2001: the boomgun fires a single kind of burst at +1 to strike, it doesn't have multiple bursting options (short/long/full for example) nor can its singular burst spray.

I do not see RUE saying that the boom gun shoots a burst, it calls it a blast not a burst. It also says the boom gun can not fire bursts. comparing it to weapons listed as burst fire burst is always stated as such and says it fires X rounds.

Burst fire is weapon term in real life for shooting a determined number of rounds typically 2-3 on hand weapons with over 100 on air craft weapons with a single pull off the trigger.(A pump shot gun firs a blast not a burst.) Burst in fire arms is usually a reference to multiple rounds, one round fired is not a burst but semi auto or single action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burst_mode_(weapon)
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/burst
13.Military.
the explosion of a projectile, especially in a specified place: an air burst.
a rapid sequence of shots fired by one pull on the trigger of an automatic weapon:A burst from the machine gun shattered all the windows.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Blue_Lion wrote:I do not see RUE saying that the boom gun shoots a burst, it calls it a blast not a burst.

RUE doesn't need to say it, we have a history of Kevin Siembieda clarifying it is a burst 4 times in previous books.

We also have a separate history of him using "blast" to describe both a single shot and a burst in the CBp11 combat example between a Grunt and a Cyber-Knight, showing it can apply to singular or plural.
    Antagonist X, a cyber-knight, attempts to parry the blast and rolls a 14 (bonuses included). The defender wins ties, so he successfully parries the blast with his vibro-blade.
    Antagonist X can not parry a burst and is hit by the devastating blast.

You can even see this in RUEp271, the NG-202 fires a burst of 40 rounds and it says "each blast counts as one melee attack".

"Firing Bursts" on CBp8 also clarified the nature of railguns:
    A burst is fired whenever somebody fires a pulse weapon, rail gun, or a rapid succession of blasts from a semiautomatic or automatic weapon (bullets or energy).
and later on page 9:
    Rail guns: The rail gun is a machinegun-like weapon designed to fire controlled and predesignated bursts.

Railguns by default are burst weapons, the boom gun is no exception. You have to be explicitly told it gets the +3 to strike, otherwise it gets the +1.

Blue_Lion wrote:It also says the boom gun can not fire bursts. comparing it to weapons listed as burst fire burst is always stated as such and says it fires X rounds.

Which only means you can't do a burst of multiple rounds, because the singular round bursts 200 slugs already.

Blue_Lion wrote:Burst fire is weapon term in real life for shooting a determined number of rounds typically 2-3 on hand weapons with over 100 on air craft weapons with a single pull off the trigger.(A pump shot gun firs a blast not a burst.) Burst in fire arms is usually a reference to multiple rounds, one round fired is not a burst but semi auto or single action.

The boomgun shoots a burst of a predetermined number of slugs: 200.
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

KS changes the rules at his merest whim. Bonuses and penalties appear as if pulled from out of thin air. Where'd that -10 to dodge bullets come from? He's also bad at math, and forgets to add bonuses to characters all the time. Just look at named NPCs and see how many attacks per round they get. It's almost never right. And he changes his mind on things all the time (look at Mind Bleeders, are they D-Bees or human mutants? there are contradictory statements all through the books).

I'll accept the possibility that at one point in time, the Boom Gun may have been considered a burst weapon. Back in the early days of the game, I don't think KS had really settled on how certain parts of the game worked. In a general way, it makes sense that you couldn't make a called shot with a Boom Gun, since its flechettes spread out once the gun is fired. However, at some point since the early 90s, KS clearly got over whatever reservation he had about that. Since the 2005 RUE, the Glitter Boy just counts as firing single shot.

Personally I think a lot of the changes made in RUE were bad for the game. Next game we play is going to use the old book for almost everything. Much simpler and cleaner that way. But I know that that's just for our group, and doesn't have any effect on what the "official" rules are.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Shot Wad: A plastic cup or similar shape that holds the shot together as it exits the barrel; these can be tailored to help maintain a tight pattern of shot out to a longer range. The size and shape of the shot wad is often a major distinction between brands, you'll see these listed as "FliteControl" or similar. The wad is caught by the air once it exits the gun and falls behind the shot as that travels to your target.

THANK YOU. and that is why your posts are valuable. You explained it and educated. However, a driving band isn't normally found on a shot wad. Because the weapon is a railgun though it is neither a shot wad nor a sabot but an armature which acts as a shot wad. Did you use the phrase shot wad somewhere earlier or just say it's not a sabot?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

THANK YOU. and that is why your posts are valuable. You explained it and educated. However, a driving band isn't normally found on a shot wad. Because the weapon is a railgun though it is neither a shot wad nor a sabot but an armature which acts as a shot wad. Did you use the phrase shot wad somewhere earlier or just say it's not a sabot?

I didn't use it. I needed to look it up. ;)
All I was really going off of was a) seeing the little plastic thingies fly out when I fire a shotgun, b) recognizing it in the flechette video I posted earlier, c) never once having heard anybody refer to them as "sabots," no heard the term "sabot" in relation to general shotgun rounds.

Meanwhile, I forget why we're talking about sabots in the first place.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”