Banshee Flying Robot.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Banshee Flying Robot.

Unread post by say652 »

What Robot piloting skill covers Flying Robots?

Under RUE how does a Copilot/Gunner work?
Zamion138
Hero

Re: Banshee Flying Robot.

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Well for flight id say pilot robot, as a gm id probably give a bonus for hard maneuvers in the air if you had jet fighter or a smaller one for space fighter.
The gunner gets all their actions for doing stuff other than moving the robot, so shooting the none arm and hand held weapons.
Or a radio action, navigation rolls...ect. but not dodge or pilot checks, and the like.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So using the Flying Power Armor Elite Bonuses is ok?
Doing my best to be Legit nonmunchkin on this one.

And thank you for explaining the gunners role.
Zamion138
Hero

Its one of the very few flying robots , id say yes for elite, but if you want elite pa flying and elite robot flying you should take them twice, no rule for that just my take on it....for rue i suppose it is a rule actually that each type of robot/pa is a separate elite.....im rambling hahahha
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

1: Robot Combat Elite: Whatever series of Robot it is. you don't use elite power armor, you use Elite Robot, it just happens to include flying if it's a flying robot.

2: a gunner dosn't pilot, they simply take attacks with a weapon when it's their turn.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:1: Robot Combat Elite: Whatever series of Robot it is. you don't use elite power armor, you use Elite Robot, it just happens to include flying if it's a flying robot.

2: a gunner dosn't pilot, they simply take attacks with a weapon when it's their turn.

In RUE that skill only covers Ground Robots.

That's like saying a SAMAS is the same as a Glitterboy because they are both Power Armors.

No they are different because.

A Glitterboy is a Ground unit.

A SAMAS is an Aerial unit.

The Banshee being a Flying Robot is different than an Enforcer, because it's not a Ground Unit like the Enforcer.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:1: Robot Combat Elite: Whatever series of Robot it is. you don't use elite power armor, you use Elite Robot, it just happens to include flying if it's a flying robot.

In RUE that skill only covers Ground Robots.

That's like saying a SAMAS is the same as a Glitterboy because they are both Power Armors.

No they are different because.

A Glitterboy is a Ground unit.

A SAMAS is an Aerial unit.

The Banshee being a Flying Robot is different than an Enforcer, because it's not a Ground Unit like the Enforcer.

It's not.

That's why Pilot Robot is divided into Series, just like power armor. If you have a Flying robot, it would need it's own Pilot Robot Combat Elite iteration. One Pilot Robot Elite dosn't even cover all ground robots.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Sooo instead of rewriting a Flying Robot Elite, is it inconceivable(lol love that word) to use the Flying Power Armor Elite table?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:Sooo instead of rewriting a Flying Robot Elite, is it inconceivable(lol love that word) to use the Flying Power Armor Elite table?

No, Flying robots are universally less manuverable than flying power armor, so the bonuses would not be equivlent. it would be simpler but technically incorrect to do so.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

In Ultimate wasn't there a Combat Basic that was same for all but then different Elite tables for ground/aerial?

Basic covers everything but Elite has to be bought separately for every single suit. So if you wanted Elite for a Banshee and it was Aerial then it would use that table.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

say652 wrote:What Robot piloting skill covers Flying Robots?

Under RUE how does a Copilot/Gunner work?

Pilot Robots & Power Armor for actual piloting, Robot Combat: Basic for basic combat, and Robot Combat: Elite [insert 'bot type]. Robot Combat: Elite bonuses from RUE may be superseded by individual robot descriptions.

Per the WB8 entry for the Banshee Robot Combat: Basic would be used IF you do not have special training (Robot Combat: Elite). Robot Combat: Elite bonuses are provided on pg176 under "#5. Hand to Hand Combat: See Basic Robot Combat Training in the Rifts RPG: pg 44, for general piloting bonuses, but Special Training in piloting the IR-2060 provides the following: Damage & Bonuses from Banshee Combat Training" (Emphasis in text).

As for a Copilot/gunner. They can operate designated systems (based on text) and are limited in what defensive actions they can take (ex. a gunner can not initate a dodge/roll/parry) and they use their own applicable attacks and skills. Robot Combat: Elite/Basic might still apply to gunners and copilots, though certain bonuses may not apply (like dodge) due to their limited control interface.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Say652 does have a point in that all the RUE robot combat elite entries (non-humanoid, light, and heavy) specify "without the ability to fly"
so the Banshee, as well as several other robots around rifts earth, do kinda fall into a loophole the rules as written.

now, personally i would be inclined to just ignore the no-flying restriction and use whichever of the three best fits the size and shape.
i would NOT recommend using the flying PA stat-block because PA bonuses are rather different than robot ones, and might end up causing problems of balance.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zamion138
Hero

The dragon wing get dodge bonuses in the air on the robot so using standard elite plus what it get there its plenty of bonuses .
And now that i look the banshee gets its stat bonuses after its gear on page 176 of japan, id say thats what you get from elite, not elite plus those.
Just take elite and get whats after the hth ratings.
2 attacks, dodge bonus in air and on ground, some other stuff like strike and such.....
I think thats the elite stuff, otherwise the get +3 attacks at level 1, +1 at 3,5, 6,10(twice), and 15. If you add elite and that too it they are insain 16 attacks at level 15 is pretty crazy
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I thought that was in addition to, my mistake.

Really trying for legit Canon characters lately, I have loophole munchkining down to a science so Legit is far more challenging
Zamion138
Hero

Just let your gm decide whats legit, jot it all down with out the elite bonus just the stuff in the back of the robot, if they say yes to both add it in. Should be pretty quick
Mechghost
Explorer

Unread post by Mechghost »

One of my Favorite Bots.

I would use the Robot Combat in WB8 for Elite, as a player or GM, after reading up I came to the conclusion that it's the most balanced way to do it.
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

the way I always read it was:
to determine what skills are needed you first determine what kind of vehicle/unit it is considered.
robots, tanks and apc's, jets, helicopter, power armor, etc.
then you check to see if you have the elite combat training for that specific unit, if so use those bonuses. if not, do you have basic combat training that covers the unit? if so use those bonuses. if not, well no bonuses for you.

it basically works out to a simple series of yes/no binary questions.

now when you learn a elite combat skill such as for a robot, or a power armor, you are automatically assumed to have the basic skill for all other units of that category.
so lets say you train in the UAR-1 "enforcer" and have Robot combat elite skill "UAR-1 Enforcer" that means you get elite bonuses in that unit, and basic in all robot vehicles and power armor units.

elite combat under RUE page 351 specifically says the elite training bonuses supersede (or replace) the basic training bonuses, they do NOT stack. of course we always ran it that way.

Return to “Rifts®”