Alien Intelligence Hooks/Dangers

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Alien Intelligence Hooks/Dangers

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Okay. So...from what I've been able to glean from Palladium over the past 20 or so years is that...

Alien Intelligences play the long game.

They're eternal, so they can wait for the best opportunity to make it all happen, slowly increasing influence so it's easier to get it done when the time comes.

Or, in some rare cases like Splynncryth, they're just chillin' on an island sucking down mai tai's and livin' large.

Let me ask you all though, what do you see as the real danger, in a campaign that these guys represent? I've already run a mini-campaign about the Liberator of the Corrupt (...and the bad guys triumphed because good is dumb, and very mopey). So I'm trying to come up with a central theme and villain for my upcoming game and I'm liking alien intelligences for the big bad.

My problem is, what other danger do they represent aside "one day a portal will open, and all will fall before their might"...? I mean...i kinda did that one already with an army of demons, so I'm looking for a different kind of challenge.

Maybe a more body snatchers type of environment...where it's really hard to tell who is serving the evil guy (vampire? maybe...)

Or a bunch of religious fanatics who serve the overlord from beyond.

I'm open to suggestions. :?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Alien Intelligence Hooks/Dangers

Unread post by say652 »

I like Dark Olympus as a way to introduce a serious power into a campaign. Two Intelligences are always better than one.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The AO that's duping your summoners, and your party, into being proxies in its feud with a more obviously(and incompetently) evil alien intelligence. Or one that corrupts with tainted power armor or cookies.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

taalismn wrote:The AO that's duping your summoners, and your party, into being proxies in its feud with a more obviously(and incompetently) evil alien intelligence. Or one that corrupts with tainted power armor or cookies.

Airhiam and the angar power armors a good use of that, ive never used those , maybe I should now that i think about it, they are just so tough though its a heavy battle to be sure.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The Splugorth Fake Norse God Wothan is a Good choice as well, add in the Vampire intelligence Woden and it's a Pantheon war.
The False Norse Gods vs The New Asgardians.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i think it is deceptive to say they are 'just waiting around for the opportunity".. that's like saying senator palpatine did nothing while waiting for someone to vote him emergency powers. or that sauron did nothing for centuries.

these threats aren't waiting, they are manipulating and building. they are recruiting allies, armies, and arsenals. they are manipulating politics and events through graft, alliances, assassination, and deceptions.

they don't have to rely on the right time and events just coming along, they are actively trying to make events occur to create that right time, place, and events.

and since reality being what it is, everyone else is doing the same for their own goals, they have to constantly tweak their plans, rethink their methods, change their strategy to accomidate the results of the inevitable Gambit Pileups.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Well, to be fair I did mention they were always increasing their influence all the while, sometimes that does mean you end up creating your opportunity.

Though I get what you're saying, and I agree with it, GB. In any case, I don't want a super convoluted plot, but I hate force feeding the players as well. It's a tough call here.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:i think it is deceptive to say they are 'just waiting around for the opportunity".. that's like saying senator palpatine did nothing while waiting for someone to vote him emergency powers. or that sauron did nothing for centuries.

these threats aren't waiting, they are manipulating and building. they are recruiting allies, armies, and arsenals. they are manipulating politics and events through graft, alliances, assassination, and deceptions.

they don't have to rely on the right time and events just coming along, they are actively trying to make events occur to create that right time, place, and events.

and since reality being what it is, everyone else is doing the same for their own goals, they have to constantly tweak their plans, rethink their methods, change their strategy to accomidate the results of the inevitable Gambit Pileups.

Worse; some of them might be GameMasters. Or simply regard reality and everybody in it as amusing(and ultimately expendable) NPCs and background.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

So change it up a little... how about the players end up in the service of a Good AI? One who grants them just a little power to start, but steadily increases it as they perform good deeds. Could make for some interesting role playing, especially for those who start out with selfish alignments.

Plus they could find themselves facing all manner of unique challenges. Anything from "how to stop the rampaging demon" down to "how do we smuggle school textbooks to this little town."
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I'm doing a False Pantheon War in Europe that spills into Warlords of Russia.
taalismn
Priest

Mack wrote:So change it up a little... how about the players end up in the service of a Good AI? One who grants them just a little power to start, but steadily increases it as they perform good deeds. Could make for some interesting role playing, especially for those who start out with selfish alignments.

Plus they could find themselves facing all manner of unique challenges. Anything from "how to stop the rampaging demon" down to "how do we smuggle school textbooks to this little town."

Or the AI can be just a snarky creep who's trolling other AIs, or an underconfident Alien Intelligence that's acquiring minions and sending them on quests because that's 'what beings like me are supposed to do'...yeah, peer pressure in the alien intelligence circles, and your AI patron is either doing the bare minimum to qualify, or else is clumsily trying to scheme and plot, and it's all trial and error, with the PCs as the crash test dummies.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

taalismn wrote:
Mack wrote:So change it up a little... how about the players end up in the service of a Good AI? One who grants them just a little power to start, but steadily increases it as they perform good deeds. Could make for some interesting role playing, especially for those who start out with selfish alignments.

Or the AI can be just a snarky creep who's trolling other AIs, or an underconfident Alien Intelligence that's acquiring minions and sending them on quests because that's 'what beings like me are supposed to do'...yeah, peer pressure in the alien intelligence circles, and your AI patron is either doing the bare minimum to qualify, or else is clumsily trying to scheme and plot, and it's all trial and error, with the PCs as the crash test dummies.

This :D

I'm using Wothan as the guy that lost his Confidence and this totally describes him.
taalismn
Priest

Or have your Alien Intelligence use the PCs to pull off a prank on another AI. Like have them search for a powerful artifact, that happens to be in or near the followers of another AI...the artifact really doesn't exist, but the whole idea of the quest is to convince the other AI that it DOES exist, and have them trip up the PCs or pursue them hunting the same thing...it's all a wild Maguffin chase that's set up to make the other Intelligence look like a cosmic moron. The PCs MIGHT be rewarded afterwards for their troubles, or might be left swinging in the wind, none the wiser that they were just vectors for misinformation.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

taalismn wrote:Or have your Alien Intelligence use the PCs to pull off a prank on another AI. Like have them search for a powerful artifact, that happens to be in or near the followers of another AI...the artifact really doesn't exist, but the whole idea of the quest is to convince the other AI that it DOES exist, and have them trip up the PCs or pursue them hunting the same thing...it's all a wild Maguffin chase that's set up to make the other Intelligence look like a cosmic moron. The PCs MIGHT be rewarded afterwards for their troubles, or might be left swinging in the wind, none the wiser that they were just vectors for misinformation.

I did similar way way back, the hunt for Nephs sword.
taalismn
Priest

say652 wrote:
taalismn wrote:Or have your Alien Intelligence use the PCs to pull off a prank on another AI. Like have them search for a powerful artifact, that happens to be in or near the followers of another AI...the artifact really doesn't exist, but the whole idea of the quest is to convince the other AI that it DOES exist, and have them trip up the PCs or pursue them hunting the same thing...it's all a wild Maguffin chase that's set up to make the other Intelligence look like a cosmic moron. The PCs MIGHT be rewarded afterwards for their troubles, or might be left swinging in the wind, none the wiser that they were just vectors for misinformation.

I did similar way way back, the hunt for Nephs sword.

To add insult to injury, an artifact CAN exist, though if the PCs use it on the other alien intelligence, it essentially delivers the equivalent of a custard pie to the AI's face....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Heroes battling through the nether realms for pieces of a broken sword, that was broken.
taalismn
Priest

say652 wrote:Heroes battling through the nether realms for pieces of a broken sword, that was broken.

"IT WAS BROKEN, YOU DONUT-HEADS! AND YOU CAN'T JUST PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN!! YOU'RE BETTER OFF FINDING AN UNBROKEN SWORD THAT ACTUALLY STILL-WORKS-!!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

That's how the campaign ended, they expected a God level Weapon, instead they got a broken pile of sword.
*first time as GM i had to make a hasty "tactical flanking maneuver"*
taalismn
Priest

say652 wrote:That's how the campaign ended, they expected a God level Weapon, instead they got a broken pile of sword.
*first time as GM i had to make a hasty "tactical flanking maneuver"*

Open window into a pile of garbage? Or did you plan ahead, and sit by the only door to the room(door lockable from the outside)?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Walked away with the phone to my ear "Hey Mom, what's up....."
taalismn
Priest

say652 wrote:Walked away with the phone to my ear "Hey Mom, what's up....."

"We can't possibly kill him while he's talking to his mom-"
"Oh yes we can. Object lesson to the next one."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

it also depends on the "power level" of the game, for instance in one of our adventures, the characters ended up fighting "dieties" out of Pantheons of the Megaverse, where all the dieties were sort of like the stuff from the stargate SG-1 show.
where it got to be a kind of odd scenario was that 3 of the characters were Deity level beings on their own and after defeating a few on earth, the "bad guys" called in reinforcements, when the "reinforcements" showed up it was with a whole fleet of starships. of course the pc's proceeded to pull their own fleets out of their collective backsides.
one character pulled out a fleet of essentially robotech ships (lots of relatively weak ships)
the second brought in their fleet of mid-ranged powered stuff.
and the 3rd pulled out a couple heavy warships

Return to “Rifts®”