Bubblemakers, from Psyscape

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

Bubblemakers, from Psyscape

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

As soon as I read about the Bubblemaker RCC earlier today, I totally fell in love with the concept! I have to make one of these for my campaign so badly!!

I have a couple of questions, though. (Bubblemagic is in Psyscape pp132-133)

1) Can a Bubblemaker choose not to put his spells/powers into bubbles? For example, if I were to use object read, I'm likely to want to simply use it straight away on myself. Do I have to go through the process of entering the trance, creating a bubble, putting it inside, and then having it pop on me? It would also make it very difficult if the wizard were unable to move at all when casting spells, as he has to be in the floating meditation.

2) When using it, how fast do the bubbles travel? Let's say you want to do a simple level one Blinding Flash. You put the spell into the bubble and then hurl it at the enemy. Does it impact upon them in that action, on your following action, or at a later time? The versatility of these bubbles is amazing, however I I had to keep track of where every single bubble is, and if it couldn't reach the enemy for several actions, it could get a little frustrating.

3) Finally, what is the range of the "Seek Out" augmentation? Normally, I'd assume it's simply the range of the Omni-sight, but then it specifically states that seeks out and finds a specific person or place that the caster must know very well. the rest need line of sight. So, if the range were simply 500', can't you simply direct it to target something within that range and not even need to worry about the augmentation? It is 20 ISP after all. Does it still have the maximum duration. This is one augmentation that I'd assume would have no range or duration limits. Thoughts?

Thanks all for your help!

RD
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Bubblemakers, from Psyscape

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

1: Yes. upon re-reading it carefully, the bubbles are an option to extend the range of their psionic/magic abilities, requiring a trance to be activated before they can make them. However, they can still just cast/use magic normally. the bubbles are an option but not mandatory. which is good, sinse in combat they won't have time to sit down and enter their trance if they havn't already entered it beforehand.
2: Line of Sight IS the range. there are other powers with that. As long as you can see them, you can hit them, no matter what the actual distance. Makes the high ground useful. It also makes it clear the bubble makers can control many bubbles at once, in fact it even says creating a bunch of non-magical bubbles and sending them all out to make it hard to figure out which one is the enchanted one is a common tactic. Other than Line of Sight there is no range limit.
3: Well, they don't teleport or phase through matter, but Seek Out appears to have unlimited range otherwise, A La Magic Pidgeons. but not being indestructable there is a good chance of them being popped on really long distance travel. they are not super fast after all.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I wonder if a really nice Bubblemaker could permanently sacrifice ISP to permanently give an ally Mind-Block Auto-Defense.
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Thanks Nekira. That definitely helps! I wish there was something that indicated the speed of the bubbles though! Perhaps I'll just say that the ME of the character is the speed they can travel. Dunno. Also, I assume controlling bubbles doesn't take any actions? It doesn't say anything about that in the original write-up.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

RainbowDevil wrote:Thanks Nekira. That definitely helps! I wish there was something that indicated the speed of the bubbles though! Perhaps I'll just say that the ME of the character is the speed they can travel. Dunno. Also, I assume controlling bubbles doesn't take any actions? It doesn't say anything about that in the original write-up.

ME as Spd. is as good a rule as any other, sinse the book leaves it to the GM to make up.

Correct. the bubble maker is limited in how many bubbles per turn her can make, but no limit on the total he can accrue other than the ISP needed to make them all.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Rifts®”