Are Zombies supernatural evil, or just supernatural?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Are Zombies supernatural evil, or just supernatural?

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

One of the players in my group has put forth the thought that because zombies aren't intelligent or self aware that they can't be evil. That zombies and animated dead are just supernatural creatures.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Are Zombies supernatural evil, or just supernatural?

Unread post by say652 »

Great way to screw over a Sea Inquisitor.
And yes i can see them being Supernatural and since Evil requires intelligence to choose action they infact are not Supernatural Evil.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

it depends on the origin of the zombies.

examples
DR Z's SN evil
Resedent evil Z's, mundanes not SN nor magic
made by the magic spell.. magic object.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I say it comes to the ability to choose, is a shark evil when it attacks a human?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

There is no need to have free will to be supernatural evil. Since evil can be an actually detected and quantified substance there has to be something for that to be detecting...
...thus given the metaphysical assumptions of the system I see no reason for things to be inherently evil because they are evil.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Evil is merely timing of the action.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

In cases where alignment is stated, if it's simply miscreant/aberrant/evil then yes, but if it's "considered" then that could mean they aren't really evil and just considered by an unspecified party to have that alignment.

Like how humans think zombies/xiticix are evil based on preying on humans when really they are not malevolent and just following instincts to feed.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Exactly, unintelligent beings that attack or eat humans could be considered Anarchist at best.
Axelmania
Knight

So far my digging to find an unprincipled man-eater to contradict you has proven unfruitful :(

Blow Worms would be a good comparison for classic zombies. They're "lethargic, moving as little as possible and then only to hunt for food" seems to fit.

Then again, if starved they'll eat ANY living creatures they encounter so "considered anarchist" is pretty flexible.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

SpiritInterface wrote:One of the players in my group has put forth the thought that because zombies aren't intelligent or self aware that they can't be evil. That zombies and animated dead are just supernatural creatures.

Have your players read the Create Zombie spell? Zombies in palladium ARE intelligent. an IQ of 7 isn't great, but it explictly says they can think for themselves, learn simple tasks and drive cars and use complex tools. They can even speak and read to communicate and have emotions of their own, and things that ward off unthinking animate dead don't work on them because they are truely (un)living creatures in their own right. They are created as magically obediant slaves to their creators, not mindless killing machines.

I think you are confusing Zombies (A specific kind of intelligent undead) with Animate Dead (What most people would call a zombie, Unthinking automations made from human corpses with magic) :D

Zombies can have alignments. In fact reading the create zombie spell, there isn't even any restrictions as to what alignment that is. they could be any alignment. They don't even have to eat brains, nor do they have any stated compulsion to do so, so with no need to hurt others at all they could even be good aligned zombies who are kind and helpful, if a bit dim.

Animate Dead mindlessly attack others and have no alignments at all.

Dead Reign zombies are a different beast altogeather from either, but this is the Rifts forum so I didn't think they were involved.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Have your players read the Create Zombie spell? ….{quoting NS's post as a whole but edited for space}

Which is why said "it depends on the origin of the zombies." to start off with.
The question in the OP is too broad to answer any other way.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:One of the players in my group has put forth the thought that because zombies aren't intelligent or self aware that they can't be evil. That zombies and animated dead are just supernatural creatures.

Have your players read the Create Zombie spell? ….

Which is why said "it depends on the origin of the zombies." to start off with.
The question in the OP is too broad to answer any other way.

Preeety sure I was quoting SpiritInterface there and not you. ;)

I disagree that it was too broad to answer any other way, as I think i gave a pretty comprehensive answer of the question actually asked. It felt more helpful to me. I saw that you had asked for clarification on which kind of zombie, I just felt it more efficent to actually answer the given one and let him clarify later if he was unsatisfied.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Have your players read the Create Zombie spell? Zombies in palladium ARE intelligent. an IQ of 7 isn't great, but it explictly says they can think for themselves, learn simple tasks and drive cars and use complex tools. They can even speak and read to communicate and have emotions of their own, and things that ward off unthinking animate dead don't work on them because they are truely (un)living creatures in their own right. They are created as magically obediant slaves to their creators, not mindless killing machines.

I think you are confusing Zombies (A specific kind of intelligent undead) with Animate Dead (What most people would call a zombie, Unthinking automations made from human corpses with magic) :D

Zombies can have alignments. In fact reading the create zombie spell, there isn't even any restrictions as to what alignment that is. they could be any alignment. They don't even have to eat brains, nor do they have any stated compulsion to do so, so with no need to hurt others at all they could even be good aligned zombies who are kind and helpful, if a bit dim.

Animate Dead mindlessly attack others and have no alignments at all.

Dead Reign zombies are a different beast altogeather from either, but this is the Rifts forum so I didn't think they were involved.

the ones created by the spell are more like the folkloric zombies of Haiti which were basically docile slaves that happened to have been people killed and resurrected by a Bokor (a type of witch) as part of the zombie creation ritual. it was an evil form of voodoo/vodou/vodun (spelling varies), and like most of that folklore, derived from various west african traditions mingled and mixed by the slave society of the island (and possibly with elements from the native american peoples that had served as slaves prior to the importation of africans in that role) they were basically supposed to be the same person as before their death, only with little free will or initiative of their own.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

It never seemed evil to me. Seemed like a logical use of a dead body.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:It never seemed evil to me. Seemed like a logical use of a dead body.

Since the system says that the animating force is inherently evil that would probably come under the "road to hell is paved with good intentions" trope
This could of course simply be because the Palladium Universe has an Objective Morality which means that some things are evil because they are evil.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Is every single zombie made with the Create Zombie ritual evil, or could this necessarily apply to only one universe's version of the spell? I'm trying to remember when 'evil' is actually specified, I figure maybe that HU version which had supernatural strength... maybe it's whatever gives it that strength which makes it evil and the other kinds from Rifts/PF/Nightbane who lack supernatural strength aren't evil?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

eliakon wrote:
Axelmania wrote:It never seemed evil to me. Seemed like a logical use of a dead body.

Since the system says that the animating force is inherently evil that would probably come under the "road to hell is paved with good intentions" trope
This could of course simply be because the Palladium Universe has an Objective Morality which means that some things are evil because they are evil.

Axelmania wrote:Is every single zombie made with the Create Zombie ritual evil, or could this necessarily apply to only one universe's version of the spell? I'm trying to remember when 'evil' is actually specified, I figure maybe that HU version which had supernatural strength... maybe it's whatever gives it that strength which makes it evil and the other kinds from Rifts/PF/Nightbane who lack supernatural strength aren't evil?

Are magically created zombies animated by something other than magic? If so is it by its very nature evil?

My understanding is that magic is by its very nature neutral.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Axelmania wrote:Is every single zombie made with the Create Zombie ritual evil, or could this necessarily apply to only one universe's version of the spell? I'm trying to remember when 'evil' is actually specified, I figure maybe that HU version which had supernatural strength... maybe it's whatever gives it that strength which makes it evil and the other kinds from Rifts/PF/Nightbane who lack supernatural strength aren't evil?

I don't think any Create Zombie says they are evil.

Axelmania
Knight

I'm not thinking of an actual spell but the statted zombies that some mage had, I think in Century Station or something, I'll check on it later.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

SpiritInterface wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Are magically created zombies animated by something other than magic? If so is it by its very nature evil?

My understanding is that magic is by its very nature neutral.

My bad here. I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that the CoP: Evil kept out zombies.
Totally my mistake.
It appears that Zombies have as far as I can tell no alignment.
They are however supernatural since they are undead and undead Dark Conversions clearly defines undead as supernatural.

Axelmania
Knight

Do you think that'd apply to animated dead / mummies as well?
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Do you think that'd apply to animated dead / mummies as well?

Mummies are explicitly said to be Undead so yes.
I am less clear on if animated dead are counted as undead or not.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Do you think that'd apply to animated dead / mummies as well?

Mummies are explicitly said to be Undead so yes.
I am less clear on if animated dead are counted as undead or not.

Animated Dead are not undead.
They're basically corpses that are used as magical puppets by the spell.

It's mentioned in either the Animate Dead spell description, or under Turn Dead.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Stuff I was remembering earlier re zombie alignment.

March 1997 Nightbane World Book 3 Through the Glass Darkly page 59 under Create Zombie

"Effectively has no M.A., M.E. or alignment"

February 2000 Heroes Unlimited Sourcebook Century Station page 173 under Macoute Zombie

"Alignment: While considered the "tools" of evil, they have no mind or emotions of their own"

In the latter case they do have ME/MA. Neither version is the standard sell you see in Rifts or PF though. Level 12 wizard spell in Palladium Fantasy leaves out ME/MA and strength isn't said to be supernatural but otherwise attributes look the same.

Consistency would be cool. In PF page 191 says Turn Dead works on mummies and page 211 says it doesn't, for example.

Maybe if I knew what page in conversions specified all undead to be supernatural I could look nearby to see if animated dead are kentioned too.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Axelmania wrote:Consistency would be cool. In PF page 191 says Turn Dead works on mummies and page 211 says it doesn't, for example.

Actually not quite. Turn Dead, IMHO, suggests there are different types of mummies.

The Create Mummy Ritual (pg210-1) would not seem to fit the definition of mummy used in the Turn Dead Spell (pg191) as it is stated: "This magic only affects skeletons, mummies, and corpses that are magically animated like marionettes;". CMR doesn't create a marionette like Animate & Control Dead (pg200), but a robot like a Zombie (pg212-3) or Golem (pg213-4) and Zombies are not effected by TD.
Axelmania
Knight

Huh... I guess the Animate Dead spell could be used to animate a skeleton, a preserved mummy or a rotting corpse... good point. I instinctively only applied "that are magically animated" description to "corpses" when it probably does apply to skeleton/mummies too.

That said... where do we draw the line on marionettes? Intelligence? Doesn't the Animate Dead spell also give a (albeit lower) intelligence? It's not literally "I pull the string, the puppet moves" after all. These beings all have their own melee attacks which work independently of the caster, the caster just needs to command them to do a task like "kill the wolf" and it will go to it, not needing oversight for every single swing of the fist.

Perhaps the 'like marionettes' should be ignored and focus on the 'animated' part... which does seem to mimic the 'animate dead' vocabulary. Although I think we could argue that mummies/zombies/golems are also "animated" in the sense that they move around and are brought to that mobile state through magic.

CTAMALM could still be corpse-exclusive but it does make me wonder which mummies are meant by it.

I do remember there was a 'creature of magic' mummy in the classic PRPG bestiary. I think they were there along with Scarecrows, although in the Conversion Book the Scarecrow got called Supernatural but I don't recall Creature of Magic being used anymore...
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

As I understand it syper natural evil is superbatural and evil by nature. So choice does not matter a good demon is still classified as supernatural evil. A super natural could be mindless and be a super natural evil.

So what it comes down to is not if the zombie is evil but if zombies thenself are inhearntly evil.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:As I understand it syper natural evil is superbatural and evil by nature. So choice does not matter a good demon is still classified as supernatural evil. A super natural could be mindless and be a super natural evil.

So what it comes down to is not if the zombie is evil but if zombies thenself are inhearntly evil.

If a demon changed alignment to non-evil then it would no longer be a supernatural evil...
...there just are very few good demons. Very few.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:it depends on the origin of the zombies.

examples
DR Z's SN evil
Resedent evil Z's, mundanes not SN nor magic
made by the magic spell.. magic object.

I forgot one type…

People that have been drugged into non-thinking to the point that they lose themselves & follow whatever orders are given. in other words: real world zombies.
rc_brooks
Explorer

Unread post by rc_brooks »

For unintelligent undead, I would rule they have the alignment of the will that drives them. Depending on the ethos of your game, you could also say that reanimating the dead is evil in and of itself. So even if it was a good character doing so, the resulting undead is tainted regardless (which is typical of most fantasy environments).
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Maybe they're just really hungry Vegans.....

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...

Return to “Rifts®”