RIFTS: Promise of Power Reborn - to be or not to be?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

RIFTS: Promise of Power Reborn - to be or not to be?

Unread post by Andy Blizzard »

Hello.

I was waiting for 10 years for this game to rise again, but nothing happened. So i found some people to make it myself!
My team just started to remake Promise of Power game, and i am looking for the way to get licensed. This point is critical in development, so can anyone help in this matter? :)
It will be great multiplatform RPG if we get some assistance from you, creators of RIFTS!

Looking forward for cooperation. :)

07.10.2016 Update:
I've got 2 potential investors, so project might be funded! Looking forward for this to happen! 8)
Last edited by Andy Blizzard on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragonfett
Knight

Re: RIFTS: Promise of Power Reborn - to be or not to be?

Unread post by dragonfett »

I would call and/or write/email them directly.

From the bottom of the About Palladium Company Profile Page (not sure if it appears at the bottom of other pages):

Palladium Books, Inc.
39074 Webb Court
Westland, MI 48185

Phone: 734-721-2900
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Would PB have the rights to distribute it as an app game for cellphones or tablets instead of the mysterious Ngage?
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

The game was made with a partner ship with another company it is likely the other company that made it has full distribution rights and is required to pay royalties to PB. So PB would not be the one to contact but the company that made it. https://web.archive.org/web/20080304071 ... /rifts.htm

If the company that has the rights to it wanted to put it out as an app that would require reworking part of its code.
N-gage was a hand held gaming system that bombed, thus limiting potential sales. A failed bet on the company that made the game, and if I recall there is a little bad blood between them and PB.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

dragonfett wrote:I would call and/or write/email them directly.

From the bottom of the About Palladium Company Profile Page (not sure if it appears at the bottom of other pages):

Palladium Books, Inc.
39074 Webb Court
Westland, MI 48185

Phone: 734-721-2900

Thanks for your advise, i have wrote them via some ways, and of this wouldn't help, gotta call, but it will be harder to do as i am at another side of the globe. x) But if this might help - why not? :)
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Blue_Lion wrote:The game was made with a partner ship with another company it is likely the other company that made it has full distribution rights and is required to pay royalties to PB. So PB would not be the one to contact but the company that made it. https://web.archive.org/web/20080304071 ... /rifts.htm

If the company that has the rights to it wanted to put it out as an app that would require reworking part of its code.
N-gage was a hand held gaming system that bombed, thus limiting potential sales. A failed bet on the company that made the game, and if I recall there is a little bad blood between them and PB.

Thank you for advise, i just wrote to Nokia as it seems to be the publisher and might have the rights to Promise of Power. :)
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Axelmania wrote:Would PB have the rights to distribute it as an app game for cellphones or tablets instead of the mysterious Ngage?

I believe that all names, plot and assets may still be in a posession of Nokia, which leads us to some law issues with redistributing. :(
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Andy Blizzard wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Would PB have the rights to distribute it as an app game for cellphones or tablets instead of the mysterious Ngage?

I believe that all names, plot and assets may still be in a posession of Nokia, which leads us to some law issues with redistributing. :(

Looks like all is fine with trademark though: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=122218&p=2937264#p2937264
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

I always wanted to play this game, so I wish you luck in acquiring the legal rights and permission to do so. Does Backbone entertainment (the original developer) still exist and or have any rights to it?
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

J_cobbers wrote:I always wanted to play this game, so I wish you luck in acquiring the legal rights and permission to do so. Does Backbone entertainment (the original developer) still exist and or have any rights to it?

We will do our best!
Cannot actually find anything about a studio shich bought Backbone (f9e). They might have some clues.
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Actually, can anyone please test two sites:
http://f9e.com/
http://www.backboneentertainment.com/
As they don't seem to work for me.

Thanks in advance. :)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

TBH hadn't even heard of Nokia Ngage / Backbone Entertainment except because of Palladium...

Tested BBE/f9e sites, I think it's down, the last archives I saw on Wayback:

June 2014: http://web.archive.org/web/201406290912 ... nment.com/
July 2014: http://web.archive.org/web/201407151047 ... //f9e.com/

I couldn't find anything on Foundation 9 Entertainment's site about the game though. The latest snapshot of BBE I think is probably just a f9e redirect so I went back further.

http://web.archive.org/web/201202050009 ... /products/ was a list of games from 2012 but no Rifts.

I figure since the game came out 10 September 2005 it might be good to go back that far... strangely on the 23rd it still said "coming soon"... still does Oct 13th.

The site it links to http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www ... seofpower/ appears to have been archived since 6 April 2005.

There's also the page on N-Gage itself https://web.archive.org/web/20080304071 ... /rifts.htm
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Thanks for help, Axelmania!
Also i am currently talking with two potential investors, so there is high chance that project will be funded. Sum is not high for game making, it's about $100k, and i believe that it will be enough for pretty good game!
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Palladium books answered "Rifts Promise of Power is not available for licensing."
dragonfett
Knight

Andy Blizzard wrote:Palladium books answered "Rifts Promise of Power is not available for licensing."

Well that stinks!
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Andy Blizzard wrote:Palladium books answered "Rifts Promise of Power is not available for licensing."

Succinct, but pretty uninformative.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
wizardofthenorth
D-Bee

Unread post by wizardofthenorth »

Question...why are you focused on rebuilding Rifts Promise of Power?

It does not seem like Palladium has said no to digital games, merely the title Rifts Promise of Power is not available for licensing.

Since you have investors, and presumably the capabilities and team to build the game...why not propose creating a new Rifts game.
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

You would be better building a game from the ground up. Isometric Tactical RPG, would be easier than say rebuilding Promise of Power.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Well then see if they'll let you make a new game from the ground up. We have no idea what the contract for Promise of power looks like they could be a million reasons they said no.
dragonfett
Knight

Step 1: Get either Fallout 4 or Skyrim

Step 2: Mod the hell out of it!
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Andy, I'd get your assets together and instead of trying to remake Promise of Power Reborn put together a business proposal with conceptual art of an original Rifts game, as well as a professional grade pitch, and contact Palladium Books directly to arrange a business meeting.

I say this as someone who has over a decade of experience as a game designer. A company isn't going to take a pitch seriously through their fan forums.

Return to “Rifts®”