Savage worlds questions

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Riftmaker
Adventurer

Savage worlds questions

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Powers often have durations listed as " Duration 3 1/round" huh??? does this mean? 1 round a level i get the 3 part confuses me.

Does the Burst power ignore Armor?

Trappings feel like they need creation rules are there any?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Savage worlds questions

Unread post by Library Ogre »

From the Explorer's Edition, page 85

If the Duration of a power has a second entry in parentheses, such as 3 (1/round), it means the power has a duration of 3 rounds and may then be maintained from round to round by spending the listed number of Power Points (1 in this case). Each power maintained subtracts 1 from future uses of the hero’s arcane skill.

So if you have a duration 3 power, it lasts for until just before your third action. After that, you can maintain it longer, but it costs power points and concentration to do so.

As for burst and armor, I would default to yes, but allow trappings which let it avoid armor. Your "Sub Particle Explosion" spell/power probably hits armor; your psychic "Mind Fan" power probably does not, but the trapping would also give it a drawback... like won't work on robots, and borgs get a bonus, or something.

Trappings tend to need a GM who can handle it, and maybe some talk-testing with other folks.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Mark Hall wrote:From the Explorer's Edition, page 85

If the Duration of a power has a second entry in parentheses, such as 3 (1/round), it means the power has a duration of 3 rounds and may then be maintained from round to round by spending the listed number of Power Points (1 in this case). Each power maintained subtracts 1 from future uses of the hero’s arcane skill.

So if you have a duration 3 power, it lasts for until just before your third action. After that, you can maintain it longer, but it costs power points and concentration to do so.

As for burst and armor, I would default to yes, but allow trappings which let it avoid armor. Your "Sub Particle Explosion" spell/power probably hits armor; your psychic "Mind Fan" power probably does not, but the trapping would also give it a drawback... like won't work on robots, and borgs get a bonus, or something.

Trappings tend to need a GM who can handle it, and maybe some talk-testing with other folks.

How does wealth work where can i get info on buying and selling?

Soo wait I pay 2 points say for an armor power duration 3 1/round. Every round I need to pay 1 point of maintenance to keep it going? Considering a line walker starts with 15 ppe they spend 5 total to run an armor spell for 3 rounds? Or does it mean pay 2 it lasts for 3 rounds and every round after that you spend a point to keep it going?

Without rapid recharge that makes any kind of combat draining as heck without a layline. Am I getting this right?
Kurseteller
D-Bee

Unread post by Kurseteller »

Riftmaker wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:From the Explorer's Edition, page 85

Soo wait I pay 2 points say for an armor power duration 3 1/round. Every round I need to pay 1 point of maintenance to keep it going? Considering a line walker starts with 15 ppe they spend 5 total to run an armor spell for 3 rounds? Or does it mean pay 2 it lasts for 3 rounds and every round after that you spend a point to keep it going?

Without rapid recharge that makes any kind of combat draining as heck without a layline. Am I getting this right?

You get 3 rounds then, then pay 1 per round after. So 15 points last about 11+ combat rounds. 15 power points, is a very basic mage for powers. Use Ley lines and possible rituals to boost it. Or maybe PPE batteries like your companions!!
Library Ogre

Riftmaker wrote:

That's pretty much "I have credits. You have thingy. I give you credits, you give me thingy?"

So, let's say you have 15 PPE. You spend 2 points and get 3 rounds. At the end of 3 rounds, you can spend your action to cast again (getting another 3 rounds for 2 PPE, and the possibility of gaining or losing a raise), or you can go 1 PPE/round, and also eat the penalty for maintaining a power past its duration. So, you can manage for 21 rounds, if you're willing to recast every few rounds.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Mark Hall wrote:

That's pretty much "I have credits. You have thingy. I give you credits, you give me thingy?"

I mean in DnD it says you can sell stuff for half the buying cost, and certain areas only have wealth up to a certain level. Anything like that in SW or is it just fast and loose?

Mark Hall wrote:

So, let's say you have 15 PPE. You spend 2 points and get 3 rounds. At the end of 3 rounds, you can spend your action to cast again (getting another 3 rounds for 2 PPE, and the possibility of gaining or losing a raise), or you can go 1 PPE/round, and also eat the penalty for maintaining a power past its duration. So, you can manage for 21 rounds, if you're willing to recast every few rounds.

Where does it say recasting is an option? Again im new to this and want to make sure ive got this down before i run.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Riftmaker wrote:Where does it say recasting is an option? Again im new to this and want to make sure ive got this down before i run.

it is normally an available action for a spellcaster to cast a spell, is it not?

so the question to ask is, does it say anywhere that you *can't* recast a spell? because by default, the rules say you can cast it.
Library Ogre

Riftmaker wrote:
I mean in DnD it says you can sell stuff for half the buying cost, and certain areas only have wealth up to a certain level. Anything like that in SW or is it just fast and loose?

Neither Rifts nor Savage Worlds have ever really restricted it that way. Rifts, because it sometimes pushes the barter angle, could have you doing good business in trade, if you knew the differing values.

Where does it say recasting is an option? Again im new to this and want to make sure ive got this down before i run.

It doesn't spell it out, but I don't think it needs to. Spell is over. You can cast the spell again, because you can cast that spell as much as you like. You could cast it on you, then next round cast it on your friend, then the round after cast it on his dog, and then cast it on you again, since it ended just before the action where you cast it on you again.

All Palladium Articles
Riftmaker
Adventurer

OK So I'm on my own for managing the wealth? Man I know SW is a fast and loose kind of game but id like a few guide lines.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

Riftmaker wrote:OK So I'm on my own for managing the wealth? Man I know SW is a fast and loose kind of game but id like a few guide lines.

The Savage Rifts Game Master's Handbook has guidelines for wealth and rewards starting on page 80.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire

Return to “Rifts®”