Biowizardry and Lifespan

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Biowizardry and Lifespan

Unread post by LostOne »

One of my players borrowed my books. Is there anything in Biowizardry or grafting an Eye of Eylor to yourself that affects lifespan (increases or decreases)?
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
taalismn
Priest

Re: Biowizardry and Lifespan

Unread post by taalismn »

LostOne wrote:One of my players borrowed my books. Is there anything in Biowizardry or grafting an Eye of Eylor to yourself that affects lifespan (increases or decreases)?

None; the only benefits are optical enhancements(including magic/psionic) and 20 points of extra PPE. That's it.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

taalismn wrote:
LostOne wrote:One of my players borrowed my books. Is there anything in Biowizardry or grafting an Eye of Eylor to yourself that affects lifespan (increases or decreases)?

None; the only benefits are optical enhancements(including magic/psionic) and 20 points of extra PPE. That's it.

That sounds like for the Eye. What about other biowizardry? Various grafted symbiotes, enhancements form the magical tanks (I can't recall what was offered)?
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

There are some that add to the lifespan (and some that lower it. some significantly).
If there is a specific lifespan your looking for it is probably obtainable via the right combination of tweaks, but I don't think policy would allow a list of every modification and its effect on lifespan. (and it would be a huge task as there are some pretty obscure sources for some things here and there in the books)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

eliakon wrote:There are some that add to the lifespan (and some that lower it. some significantly).
If there is a specific lifespan your looking for it is probably obtainable via the right combination of tweaks, but I don't think policy would allow a list of every modification and its effect on lifespan. (and it would be a huge task as there are some pretty obscure sources for some things here and there in the books)

Ok, I'll have to look when I get the books back then.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

Not eyes of eylor but the chest amalgamate ads 20 years and the absur life node triples it. The first is in the atlantis the second is in the splynn book im pretty sure.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Luvia wrote:

Not eyes of eylor but the chest amalgamate ads 20 years and the absur life node triples it. The first is in the atlantis the second is in the splynn book im pretty sure.

Thanks.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

The Absurr Life Node and Chest Amalgamate are both on p 117 of Atlantis.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

LostOne wrote:
Luvia wrote:

Thanks.

Np pal
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

I don't have the book in front of me. But, the Bio wizard Juicer shortens your life by a percentage. Not a set number of years.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

So im intrigued? what you doing that you want some lifespan adjustmeant. Oh and the parasymb makes your lifespan only 48 hours then you pop lol.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I was contemplating making one of the splugorth juicers and getting as long of a life span as I could figure out.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

ah. I thought it might be a juicer thing.
taalismn
Priest

The whole Juicer concept is based on the idea of 'Live Fast, Die Young'...arguably, anything that actually extends your life isn't going to be a Juicer, but something else.
Mutants in Orbit suggested that Eurostation was working on adapting Juicer tech, possibly with the aim of reducing the lifespan penalty for Orbital Juicers(micro-gee equaling less strain on the Juiced body?), but no stats for that have emerged and it would not likely be a life EXTENSION as much as a REDUCED PENALTY for the aug.
You could likely bang together a decent SDC bio-aug with Juicer-like bonuses and an extended lifespan using the Powers Unlimited 2 Eugenic Hero tables, since it has Extended Lifespan as a biological feature option, and a BIG budget.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

taalismn wrote:The whole Juicer concept is based on the idea of 'Live Fast, Die Young'...arguably, anything that actually extends your life isn't going to be a Juicer, but something else.

The whole concept of a juicer is using chemicals/hormones/drugs delivered at the precise time and location to give you enhanced physical capabilities for a cheaper budget than eugenics. The shortened life span is a side effect that I think any military would find undesirable and to be eliminated if possible. If a way to extend the life span of a juicer without hurting performance was discovered, you know any state/country/kingdom with juicers in their army would jump on it. The Live Fast, Die Young machismo is something the wannabes and young juicers probably came up with, or maybe even the recruiters who are looking for fresh troops to fill the ranks. Plus it sounds good as a tagline and flavor concept for an OCC. But you can't tell me any R&D dept doing Juicer research would not have extending life span as one desired goal. You don't want to train up a Navy SEAL or CIA Agent if you know they're only going to have a life span of six years. Twenty years of service is preferable. The shortened life span probably has most juicers being cannon fodder after basic training but I'm sure the leadership dreams of having a James Bond equivalent juiced assassin with all the skills and experience that go with it. And if they have a worthy juicer in the ranks who has done great things above and beyond the rest, the leadership would want to help him live longer and be useful longer if they could, even if there is an added expense.

But really this is just toying with concepts for NPCs, etc. An experienced free agent splugorth juicer doesn't want to die, what would he do to extend his life, etc. Or a decorated champion in the gladiator arenas is far more valuable if he keeps fighting then dying from last call, what can be done to extend his lifespan? Sometimes it's not about the cost or OCC concept, sometimes it's about the desire or politics of the people in the story.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

For normal humans the best life extender is full bionic conversion.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

say652 wrote:For normal humans the best life extender is full bionic conversion.

Yeah buy not as much of an abomnition/ Thou the question is would you alow a splurgoth juicer to become a borg?
Svartalf
Champion

Sploog juicers... where are they described already?
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

Svartalf wrote:Sploog juicers... where are they described already?

the juicer uprising book.
Svartalf
Champion

Duh, and I manged to miss it... Thanks for telling me where to look again.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Luvia wrote:
say652 wrote:For normal humans the best life extender is full bionic conversion.

Yeah buy not as much of an abomnition/ Thou the question is would you alow a splurgoth juicer to become a borg?

It take a few sessions, A PF Alchemist can remove BW Parasites. That's detox penalties or step 1.

Find a Chopshop and buy a Bionic Frame, Legal Juicer move. That's step 2.

I would add in some insanities, a few Juicer ones, a few Bionic ones and maybe have a Splugorth Slaver come after him to reclaim the runaway.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

And that is a valid option, but not the goal of this topic.

For some trading in incredible regeneration for a cyborg body that costs money to repair every time you take damage might be very undesirable. In the case I'm looking at, cyborg would be last choice after other methods to extend the lifespan have been exhausted.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

say652 wrote:
Luvia wrote:

It take a few sessions, A PF Alchemist can remove BW Parasites. That's detox penalties or step 1.

Find a Chopshop and buy a Bionic Frame, Legal Juicer move. That's step 2.

I would add in some insanities, a few Juicer ones, a few Bionic ones and maybe have a Splugorth Slaver come after him to reclaim the runaway.

I dont see any problem with your thought process. I even think it would make a good character arc for an escaped slave story.

Maybe injections of cactus people blood could extend is life?lol
taalismn
Priest

Luvia wrote:

I have the feeling that finding to remove all those bio-systems in order to get at anything that you could hook up to bionics would be as much a fight as going hand to hand with the Juicer themselves...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

taalismn wrote:
Luvia wrote:

I have the feeling that finding to remove all those bio-systems in order to get at anything that you could hook up to bionics would be as much a fight as going hand to hand with the Juicer themselves...

I agree it would be a hard journey. With a wide megaverse of possibilities you never know. Though it would be fairly gm dependent I would say. The skills and resources to save a sploogie juicer or bioborg for that matter would not be common i would think.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Other than a Bio Wizard, God luck finding a nonsplugorth goon one. The Alchemists are listed as having this ability.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

rem1093 wrote:I don't have the book in front of me. But, the Bio wizard Juicer shortens your life by a percentage. Not a set number of years.

Does anyone recall if the combination of a Bio-Wizard Juicer's 1/10 life vs the Absurd's triple and Amalgamate's +20 is addressed?
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

Axelmania wrote:
rem1093 wrote:I don't have the book in front of me. But, the Bio wizard Juicer shortens your life by a percentage. Not a set number of years.

Does anyone recall if the combination of a Bio-Wizard Juicer's 1/10 life vs the Absurd's triple and Amalgamate's +20 is addressed?

I dont think it has as far as I know
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Luvia wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

I would say it would be applied according to GM whim. Personally if all three were in play I'd add the +20 first, then divide and multiply. But first I'd check Bio-Borg, it might be addressed in there.

However, the splugorth juicer's maxi-killer symbiote resembles the chest amalgamate so I'd rule you couldn't use both simply because they'd be fighting for space and probably choke each other out. The maxi-killer symbiote might even be a modified amalgamate symbiote but they don't say it outright.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

LostOne wrote:
Luvia wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

I would say it would be applied according to GM whim. Personally if all three were in play I'd add the +20 first, then divide and multiply. But first I'd check Bio-Borg, it might be addressed in there.

However, the splugorth juicer's maxi-killer symbiote resembles the chest amalgamate so I'd rule you couldn't use both simply because they'd be fighting for space and probably choke each other out. The maxi-killer symbiote might even be a modified amalgamate symbiote but they don't say it outright.

I always like to think of it as a more refined parasymb. Though honestly they could all be the same or similar species. Maybe just bio-tweaked differently.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i seem to recall hearing there's a biomancy spell in the lemuria book that can restore a juicer back to full health. perhaps instead of bio-wizardry, you should be looking to biomancy for answers ;)
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Shark_Force wrote:i seem to recall hearing there's a biomancy spell in the lemuria book that can restore a juicer back to full health. perhaps instead of bio-wizardry, you should be looking to biomancy for answers ;)

I'd be curious to read that. I don't have lemuria but a friend does. Anyone have a page number? Spell name?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

LostOne wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:i seem to recall hearing there's a biomancy spell in the lemuria book that can restore a juicer back to full health. perhaps instead of bio-wizardry, you should be looking to biomancy for answers ;)

I'd be curious to read that. I don't have lemuria but a friend does. Anyone have a page number? Spell name?

sadly, i have no page number for you since i don't own the book. some quick forum searching says the spell is called reconstruction and is a level 12 spell. that should narrow it down for you enough i think?
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Shark_Force wrote:
LostOne wrote:

sadly, i have no page number for you since i don't own the book. some quick forum searching says the spell is called reconstruction and is a level 12 spell. that should narrow it down for you enough i think?

It was, my friend gave me the gist of it when he looked it up. That sounds like it is a complete reset button for juicers and borgs, if I understand right it restores you to perfect health and complete body according to your DNA and no withdrawl/addiction. Amazing. If you can find someone willing to do it for you, that could be a quest in and of itself, if you ever even learn it is possible in-character. And that would be a powerful ability for a leader to have to keep his most elite juicers alive. Restore them, re-juice them, all their skills and experience are intact and they have 6 more years to be your super-spy/assassin/spec-ops troops. Only the loyal get restored. Honorable discharge without penalties if any want to retire.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Page 106, over 600 PPE to do though. They get a huge bonus to save if they don't want to be changed back though, which means if I want to turn the Angel of Vengeance into the human body she never got to enjoy I'm going to have to learn her true name to make it a bonusless roll.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

LostOne wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:
LostOne wrote:

It was, my friend gave me the gist of it when he looked it up. That sounds like it is a complete reset button for juicers and borgs, if I understand right it restores you to perfect health and complete body according to your DNA and no withdrawl/addiction. Amazing. If you can find someone willing to do it for you, that could be a quest in and of itself, if you ever even learn it is possible in-character. And that would be a powerful ability for a leader to have to keep his most elite juicers alive. Restore them, re-juice them, all their skills and experience are intact and they have 6 more years to be your super-spy/assassin/spec-ops troops. Only the loyal get restored. Honorable discharge without penalties if any want to retire.

Maybe a tw and lemuria can come together to make some kind of life pod. Dont know how well the rules or canon would work with it. Hey its rifts dream on right?
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tsh77769 »

Also look at weep beans of life or something like that from Mystic China (see rifter #3).

It restores a Juicer as well.

tsh77769
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

tsh77769 wrote:Also look at weep beans of life or something like that from Mystic China (see rifter #3).

It restores a Juicer as well.

tsh77769

The spell is from Ninjas and superspies supplement mystic china a chi spell.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

As for the Sloog Juicer, the write-up states that removing the symbiote instantly kills the host, so a Lemurian style reset may not be possible.........

........as for extending the lifespan of a Sloog-Juicer, any sort of race with a naturally long lifespan seems like a good choice; the average elf could last for over 30 years as a Maxi-Killer.............then throw on the Absuur Life Node to triple it!

Does that float yer boat?

Return to “Rifts®”