Slaver's Barge Shields

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Slaver's Barge Shields

Unread post by Axelmania »

Been looking at the stats for these on 124 of Atlantis, 149 of Sourcebook One revised.

The only purpose I can see for them is possibly that they provide cover for Altarans.... actually yeah on page 150 "The decorative plate shields offer protective cover for the four Blind Warrior Women"

Since there's only 4 but Atlantis 50 says 4-6 accompany the barges I'm thinking that means there may be 1-2 who are exposed.

Altarans are not part of the barges like the slavers themselves, so they would not normally require called shots to hit even though they are carried by the barge...

But the shields, it would seem, would logically provide cover for them, requiring called shots to hit, even though they are not actually parts of the barge, just carried weapons.

Looking at the Rifts RPG's cover art, reprinted in black and white on page 148 of Sourcebook 1 revised, all I can figure to call these 'shields' are the engraved pieces which appear to come up to knee level of the Altarans while they are seated. It doesn't look particularly impressive...

This is a flying vehicle though, so it would obviously function as much better cover to someone at a lower elevation than you are. It would basically be pointless as cover to anyone higher-elevated than you, particularly if you are standing up.

Anyone have ideas on how difficult a called shot it should be to hit Altarans sheltering behind these things depending on context?

The barges can fly up to 500 feet so I would think if you were shooting at ground level (particularly if it was closer to you on the horizantal plane) it would provide great cover if they were seated.

I was trying to think of how to scale it. Maybe like "called shot if firing from at/below barge level, -1 to strike if Altaran is seated, additional -1 to strike per each foot below the barge you are, unless also 1 foot away."
kaid
Knight

Re: Slaver's Barge Shields

Unread post by kaid »

Basically those shields allow the altarans to duck behind them for partial or full cover from a particular direction. It would be the standard penalties for shooting at somebody in partial/full cover. From some angles though they won't get the benefit of that cover but again that would be just normal cover type rules.

Also note that barges can move pretty quick so there likely are also some shooting at moving target penalties involved and you also have the armor of ithan shield for the barge that has to be penetrated to strike at them at all.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

kaid wrote:Basically those shields allow the altarans to duck behind them for partial or full cover from a particular direction. It would be the standard penalties for shooting at somebody in partial/full cover. From some angles though they won't get the benefit of that cover but again that would be just normal cover type rules.

Also note that barges can move pretty quick so there likely are also some shooting at moving target penalties involved and you also have the armor of ithan shield for the barge that has to be penetrated to strike at them at all.

Yup
Cover is cover.
Any additional situational modifiers would be just that. Situational.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I guess it'd be nice to get some kind of standard penalty system for less guess-work, cover should definitely offer varying penalties depending on how much of you is covered, which in this case obviously varies based on relative elevation.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Axelmania wrote:I guess it'd be nice to get some kind of standard penalty system for less guess-work, cover should definitely offer varying penalties depending on how much of you is covered, which in this case obviously varies based on relative elevation.

I believe there are penalties for full cover and for partial cover. Which seems to cover the options pretty well. To get more gradations than that starts to get to be a ton of busy work okay is an arm and a leg and a head 1/2 covered or 3/4 covered. Basically the cover rules are you are totally hiding and nothing is visible or you are mostly concealed but some parts of you are visible.

Return to “Rifts®”