Parachuting question.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Parachuting question.

Unread post by say652 »

Halo jumps.
Roll vs Parachuting skill.

What if an untrained individual wanted to Tandem jump using a Tandem harness.

Is that even possible from that height and the low chute opening?

Ideas to assign penalties?

-30% to the Parachuting skill check seems reasonable to me.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Parachuting question.

Unread post by Glistam »

Parachuting is one of the worst skill ideas Palladium ever introduced. You only get one or two rolls to avoid what's very likely instant death, and the percentage starts stupidly small. Just remove it from your game and let people pull a freaking ripcord.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Skills play a major factor in my game. This skill allows for the creation of specialized soldiers.
Also balances the game between magic and psionic players.
Gives the High Tech Soldier a chance vs less skill orientated character types.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Glistam wrote:Parachuting is one of the worst skill ideas Palladium ever introduced. You only get one or two rolls to avoid what's very likely instant death, and the percentage starts stupidly small. Just remove it from your game and let people pull a freaking ripcord.

I would look at it from the perspective of driving an automobile if you do "easy and basic" jumps no roll is actually required. or the roll is not needed for "survival" but to see how close you got to the target, and or if you "stick" the landing.
where you start needing to make checks that "matter" is if you are pushing the envelope, humping into hazardous terrain, getting into a firefight (or going through flack) on the way down and things like that.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I would also say that the percentage for the skill helps determine how close to the designated landing zone you can get, as well as how well you can pull off aerial tricks before pulling the ripcord.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

guardiandashi wrote:
Glistam wrote:Parachuting is one of the worst skill ideas Palladium ever introduced. You only get one or two rolls to avoid what's very likely instant death, and the percentage starts stupidly small. Just remove it from your game and let people pull a freaking ripcord.

I would look at it from the perspective of driving an automobile if you do "easy and basic" jumps no roll is actually required. or the roll is not needed for "survival" but to see how close you got to the target, and or if you "stick" the landing.
where you start needing to make checks that "matter" is if you are pushing the envelope, humping into hazardous terrain, getting into a firefight (or going through flack) on the way down and things like that.

I agree with your thought on how the skill should probably be. That is not how it's written, however.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Exactly, the nonskilled characters had to come up with another plan of entrance.
And they did.

Forced Evolution i like to call it.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

guardiandashi wrote:

Yes this. Although halo jumping is pretty technical and you need pretty specialized equipment normally although I guess with everybody using EBA armor is may not be as big of a deal as it would be today.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Parachuting in Rifts is silly for another reason... in a world of battery powered jet packs, why jump with a piece of silk? There ought to be more of the Spec Ops Mag 5 Jet Packs (CWC p104) for just this purpose. Or just spend 46,000cr for electric Triax model in SB1 that has a 700 mile range.

Not too mention it's a much better use of a precious skill slot.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Have the skill represent the ability to pack the chute correctly instead.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

say652 wrote:What if an untrained individual wanted to Tandem jump using a Tandem harness.

Why would you have passengers make piloting checks? :?

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I do not think a failed parachuting roll means you do not open the chute and die. Normally deploying the chute is the easy part(just requires the cord pulled), static line jumps pull the cord for you. Skill rolls could be for hitting an exact spot, safely pulling the cord at the last instance and doing the mid air parachutist stack. It would also be used to avoid twisting your ankle or breaking a leg when landing in ruff terrain.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Blue_Lion wrote:I do not think a failed parachuting roll means you do not open the chute and die. Normally deploying the chute is the easy part(just requires the cord pulled), static line jumps pull the cord for you. Skill rolls could be for hitting an exact spot, safely pulling the cord at the last instance and doing the mid air parachutist stack. It would also be used to avoid twisting your ankle or breaking a leg when landing in ruff terrain.

According to R:UE, a failed roll means there are "complications" and either the chute does not open or opens late. You take 1D6x10+60 damage straight to H.P., even if you're in M.D.C. body armor.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mack wrote:Parachuting in Rifts is silly for another reason... in a world of battery powered jet packs, why jump with a piece of silk? There ought to be more of the Spec Ops Mag 5 Jet Packs (CWC p104) for just this purpose. Or just spend 46,000cr for electric Triax model in SB1 that has a 700 mile range.

Not too mention it's a much better use of a precious skill slot.

Why Parachute and not Jet Pack:
-Cost? How much does a Parachute cost compared to a Jet Pack?
-Stealth: once deployed the system is silent
-Disposable. Once on the ground, you could leave the cheaper (?) Parachute behind allowing maximum carrying capacity
-higher weight allowance during the drop? (impossible to determine given the lack of said info in various jet pack write ups)
-you disassemble a parachute for useful materials and get cord, straps, silk sheet(s), etc. You disassemble a jet pack and get ?
-higher deployment windows (sure you could free fall to the max alt. of a Jet Pack, but will the Jet pack have enough time to slow you down safely?)

That doesn't mean a Jet Pack doesn't have advantages of its own over a parachute, but depending on how the jet pack/parachute is to factor into the mission...
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

If you don't know how to pilot a parachute, you over steer the controls and the chute collspses.....and you die.
Irl.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

say652 wrote:If you don't know how to pilot a parachute, you over steer the controls and the chute collspses.....and you die.
Irl.

That is if it's one that can be steered. A simple round parachute wouldn't have controls, would it?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

dragonfett wrote:
say652 wrote:If you don't know how to pilot a parachute, you over steer the controls and the chute collspses.....and you die.
Irl.

That is if it's one that can be steered. A simple round parachute wouldn't have controls, would it?

Well it could mean you started tumbling or otherwise were at a non-optimum angle when you pulled the cord causing the parachute to deploy in a way that you tangle up in it due to mistiming things.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

dragonfett wrote:
Irl.

actually since the development of parachute infantry in the 1920's and 1930's, the round chutes have had limited steering. by pulling on different sets of cords you can cause the chute to deform in certain ways, making it shift direction slowly. and the chutes used since WW2 have had a cutout at the back, creating a funnel effect to give the chute a bit of forward thrust as it falls, making steering easier.

but if you are concerned with needing to steer in the air, you want to use a Ram-air chute design. round chutes can basically be steered just enough to avoid running into other chutes as you fall, or avoid larger terrain dangers.

of course, if you dropping large numbers of troops at once, you want the round chutes because having lots of people trying to fly around at once near each other in the same airspace drives the risk of collision and entanglement or other accidents way up.

steerable chutes are generally used for small team or squad level insertions, like special ops, while round chutes still dominate platoon and up drops.

and of course round chutes are the standard for cargo and vehicle drops.

Nightmask wrote:
dragonfett wrote:
Irl.

Well it could mean you started tumbling or otherwise were at a non-optimum angle when you pulled the cord causing the parachute to deploy in a way that you tangle up in it due to mistiming things.

actually this is why when you look at parachutes, they have that little chute or a long ribbon that comes out first. the pilot chute. this serves two purposes.. first, it helps give the energy needed to pull the main chute out of the bag. but it also helps to orient the wearer so the chute deploys in the right way, by slowing down any tumbling or bad orientation, by creating drag in a specific fashion.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Blue_Lion
Knight

Looking at the skills parachuting will quickly pas jet packs in skill% after level 3. For PB skills it is a decent % for the skill, better than piloting a jet. They never say you have to use the skill on all jumps, static line jumps the chute is opened by the line when you leave the air craft, typically LOLO are static line jumps.
I would say most likely it is only the high risk jumps that would require a roll. Just as basic vehicle use do not always require a roll. I would house rule it a little different.
Military airborne training is fairly safe two deaths shut down all operations because deaths are so rare and having two in a short time frame sent up red flags.

Most injuries sustained from air born ops are not life threatening, i am not sure how much the writer actually knows about paratroopers. They might have just went with a flat worse case failure, but I see that as more a critical failure than a standard failure. remember you can always modify a roll as a gm based on conditions or house rule.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The Ninja Borg, attempted it without the skill.
30% roll, chute opened and unable to steer crashed into some trees, drawing the guards attention to the area.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:Looking at the skills parachuting will quickly pas jet packs in skill% after level 3. For PB skills it is a decent % for the skill, better than piloting a jet. They never say you have to use the skill on all jumps, static line jumps the chute is opened by the line when you leave the air craft, typically LOLO are static line jumps.
I would say most likely it is only the high risk jumps that would require a roll. Just as basic vehicle use do not always require a roll. I would house rule it a little different.
Military airborne training is fairly safe two deaths shut down all operations because deaths are so rare and having two in a short time frame sent up red flags.

Most injuries sustained from air born ops are not life threatening, i am not sure how much the writer actually knows about paratroopers. They might have just went with a flat worse case failure, but I see that as more a critical failure than a standard failure. remember you can always modify a roll as a gm based on conditions or house rule.

True, if you apply some house rules the skill starts to be workable.
But Glistam still has a point that as written the skill is rather silly and just begs to be house ruled.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

say652 wrote:Halo jumps.
Roll vs Parachuting skill.

What if an untrained individual wanted to Tandem jump using a Tandem harness.

Is that even possible from that height and the low chute opening?

Ideas to assign penalties?

-30% to the Parachuting skill check seems reasonable to me.

If the "passenger" of the tandem jump is co-operating there should be no problems or penalties. As for is it possible, yes as long as the equipment was available. Harness, chute, breathing apparatus...
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Blue_Lion wrote:Looking at the skills parachuting will quickly pas jet packs in skill% after level 3. For PB skills it is a decent % for the skill, better than piloting a jet. They never say you have to use the skill on all jumps, static line jumps the chute is opened by the line when you leave the air craft, typically LOLO are static line jumps.

For standard drops most of your "rolling" would be on landing not if the chute works or not. With things like EBA a lot of the standard dangers of parachuting also go poof. Hard to sprain your ankle or knee to bad when the armor simply is not going to let your leg bend that far wrong. On most standard jumps if the chute deploys at all the only thing to really roll for would be trying to hit a really small target area and or doing so stylishly or face planting on landing to the derision of your group mates.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

I wouldn't roll for getting the cute to open on a routine jump. I would ask for the skill roll if: there was some sabotage/damage to the cute before the jump, it was packed improperly, or struggling with an opponent during the free fall like in many action movies. In difficult circumstances like a night jump, a jump in high winds, or a low altitude cute opening, I would roll for the landing to see if the character was able to do so without injuring them self from landing too hard (spraining an ankle, breaking a leg), dropping a piece of equipment/weapon, or lastly land on target as may be appropriate for the circumstances.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The funny thing is in rifts if you are wearing hard EBA armor most of the bad things that could happen in parachuting short of falling the entire way with no chute really don't impact you much. It would keep you from the standard foots sprain/leg injury issue, hitting trees/poles won't do much other than ring your bell even if you wind up getting tangled up with another chute it winds up slowing you enough that with the body armor you wind up with minimal to no injuries.
Blue_Lion
Knight

kaid wrote:The funny thing is in rifts if you are wearing hard EBA armor most of the bad things that could happen in parachuting short of falling the entire way with no chute really don't impact you much. It would keep you from the standard foots sprain/leg injury issue, hitting trees/poles won't do much other than ring your bell even if you wind up getting tangled up with another chute it winds up slowing you enough that with the body armor you wind up with minimal to no injuries.

Nope. You can still get foot sprains/leg injuries in EBA.
There is a 20% chance to take damage even if you are wearing armor and make the landing.
Getting tangled up in another chute does not mean it slows you enough to get no injures, I think that would be an example of a failed roll.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I had the Ninja Borg take 3md to the main body from the high speed crash landing. I was going to use highspeed crash rules but figured the chute even improperly used slowed the descent enough to lessen the damage.

Return to “Rifts®”