Shouldn't the Amorph RCC in Psyscape be an MDC creature?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mathew
D-Bee

Shouldn't the Amorph RCC in Psyscape be an MDC creature?

Unread post by Mathew »

This shapeshifter generally won't be wearing armor, so while he may have the ability to dodge attacks, being an SDC being means he's subject to IMMEDIATE death with one shot that connects from even minor Rifts Earth weapons.

Now the weird part is that according to Between the Shadows, all creatures from the Astral Plane become MDC beings when they go to Rifts Earth. So if this guy is from that same Astral Plane, wouldn't you take the SDC and HP, add them up and convert to MDC when on Rifts Earth?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Shouldn't the Amorph RCC in Psyscape be an MDC creature?

Unread post by The Beast »

Mathew wrote:This shapeshifter generally won't be wearing armor, so while he may have the ability to dodge attacks, being an SDC being means he's subject to IMMEDIATE death with one shot that connects from even minor Rifts Earth weapons.

Now the weird part is that according to Between the Shadows, all creatures from the Astral Plane become MDC beings when they go to Rifts Earth. So if this guy is from that same Astral Plane, wouldn't you take the SDC and HP, add them up and convert to MDC when on Rifts Earth?

Since WB12 was written for Rifts, the rules found in BtS for converting astral creatures are irrelevant. As for your other point, every SDC being has the same problem.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Yes, they are very vunerable to death. This might be why they almost never leave psyscape itself. ;)

And yes, Specific Rifts stat entries trump general conversion rules. Which means the Amorph is SDC.

Do note they do have TK force Feild, which gives a pretty decent defense in a pinch.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mathew wrote:according to Between the Shadows, all creatures from the Astral Plane become MDC beings when they go to Rifts Earth

What page is this mentioned on? Page 142 mentions that Guardians/Wampyrs turn HP/SDC to MDC, as does a Nightbane's Morphus (but not Facade) and the 'Dwellers of the Astral Plane' section on page 60 doesn't appear to mention this.

Amorphs would probably rely on Telekinetic Force Field in most situations (25mdc/L for 30min/L is better than 10mdc/L for 2min/L) but might use Psychic Body Field in situations where they wanted to fight.

Another advantage I think Psychic Body Field would have is that they could use their automatic dodge (all normal bonuses to dodge from hand to hand combat training apply to this ability, in addition to their 3/6/9/12 autododge bonuses) to move themselves and the PBF out of harm's way, while the telekinetic force field couldn't be moved and would always take damage.

Assuming some have opened third eyes I could see them opting for either as the doubled depending on their personality.

These guys do carry an energy weapon of choice (usually vibro-blade or pistol, makes sense since Blunt/Knife/Epistol are only WP they can learn, I think Neuro-Mace would also be smart) and 1-4 e-clips so even though they won't wear armor it might be plausible that they'd use a Naruni Force Field. At second level they could select 6th sense as a sensitive ability to give them warning to turn it on or activate their TKFF/PBF

They can also select any piloting skill so while piloting power armor is probably out, there's nothing stopping these guys from piloting a robot vehicle or a tank if you're worried about a lack of protection. They'd probably have interesting ways of getting inside things that don't belong to them which humanoids lack.
Mathew
D-Bee

Unread post by Mathew »

The Beast wrote:
Mathew wrote:This shapeshifter generally won't be wearing armor, so while he may have the ability to dodge attacks, being an SDC being means he's subject to IMMEDIATE death with one shot that connects from even minor Rifts Earth weapons.

Since WB12 was written for Rifts, the rules found in BtS for converting astral creatures are irrelevant. As for your other point, every SDC being has the same problem.

Except their particular brand of shapeshifting would probably preclude armor, since they turn into a copy what then can see. They would copy a Dead Boy in armor, but they would still be SDC beings who look like they are wearing MDC armor.
Mathew
D-Bee

Unread post by Mathew »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Yes, they are very vunerable to death. This might be why they almost never leave psyscape itself. ;)

And yes, Specific Rifts stat entries trump general conversion rules. Which means the Amorph is SDC.

Do note they do have TK force Feild, which gives a pretty decent defense in a pinch.

I am aware the rules call them SDC beings. I just don't think that is a correct take on the creature, and it makes them near useless since they usually can't wear armor. If the rules said they are MDC beings I would not be posting this thread.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mathew wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Yes, they are very vunerable to death. This might be why they almost never leave psyscape itself. ;)

I am aware the rules call them SDC beings. I just don't think that is a correct take on the creature, and it makes them near useless since they usually can't wear armor. If the rules said they are MDC beings I would not be posting this thread.

Right... so the question is... why should they be MDC?
Besides the rule (That no one else can find) in another book, that may or may not cover their kind of race, that was explicitly said to NOT apply to them?
I mean the race is already pretty potent as is, making them MDC on top of everything else seems... well it seems excessive.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Mathew
D-Bee

Unread post by Mathew »

I worry they are underpowered, since they can't generally wear armor.
Axelmania
Knight

A lot of SDC giants generally couldn't either, needing custom jobs. But they didn't have auto dodge and start at level 1 with MDC-generating protective powers.

Being SDC and not wearing "armor" doesn't make you useless. This is kinda viewed in the lens of power-creep. Most humans don't have MDC armor and this only seems strange because most PCs get it.

As a PC you are an unusual human with MDC armor so you could be an unusual Amorph who selects Sixth Sense at 2nd level and so is able to bring up MDC defenses with adequate warning. The ones without sixth sense may opt to stick around at Psyscape until they learn it.

These guys are more mobile than your average Mind Melter. They are from an interdimensional community and probably have access to stuff like Phase Fields in addition to Naruni Force Fields. So long as sixth sense warns them in time to flip on their tech defenses (and supplement them with psi defenses) they'll do swell.

Taking "armor" literally you just need to find forms of MDC protection not explicitly called armor. I already pointed out vehicles.

The Nunnehi from Spirit West have an astral presence, some of them might have befriended the Amorphs of Psyscape and given them an Armor Fetish to protect them off-plane.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mathew wrote:

Well...then why are you posting in this thread? the rules don't suddenly change just because you think they are wrong.

Unless you are asking for houserules or suggested MDC values for them, in which case it might be clearer if you asked that.

If you wanna make them MDC, it's no skin off my nose.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Amorph Lord Magus anyone?

Return to “Rifts®”