The Disposable NPC Bandit Generator, Version 1.1

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which N.P.C. Generator would you like to see next?

City Rat
17%
Dog Boy
6%
Cyber-Knight
11%
Crazy
11%
Mercenary Soldier
22%
Robot Pilot
No votes
Glitter Boy
No votes
Vagabond
No votes
Wilderness Scout
11%
Burster
6%
Psi-Stalker
No votes
Simvan Monster Rider
No votes
Coalition SAMAS pilot
6%
Other (Please specify)
6%
Dude, give it a rest and just focus on maps.
6%

Total votes: 18

Hotrod
Knight

The Disposable NPC Bandit Generator, Version 1.1

Unread post by Hotrod »

EDIT: The first revision is complete! Here are the front and back pages of version 1.1.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present:
The Disposable Bandit Generator Version 1.0
Page 1 Page 2

(click above to see it)

What is this? A chart that provides all the important combat stats and bonuses for a generic bandit from level 1 to 15 using cheap, common equipment, along with some optional variations and equipment on a second page. All the G.M. needs to do is select a level for the N.P.C. All the stats are generated, all bonuses are cross-referenced and summed up, and there's no on-the-fly guesswork or extensive preparation.

Why make this? Many Rifts books devote considerable space to the stats of individual N.P.C.'s, and most of those N.P.C.'s have exceptional stats and abilities. These N.P.C.'s can be useful for particularly special encounters, but my experience has been that most groups have many encounters with ordinary soldiers, bandits, and the like. These are the stormtroopers, the red-shirted ensigns, the disposable N.P.C.'s who aren't special, but can still represent obstacles and threats to the characters. There are no good sets of stats for these N.P.C.'s in the books, forcing G.M.'s to either make some up on the fly or spend valuable time preparing them.

How was it made? In a spreadsheet program, using Rifts: Ultimate Edition (RUE), 1st printing, with the posted corrections. These are the guidelines I used for creating this N.P.C. generator:
1. As more of a vagabond criminal than a professional, this bandit is meant to be an N.P.C. of modest skill and means who prefers to prey upon the weak, the unprepared, and the outnumbered. This bandit shouldn't pose a major threat on his/her own in a stand-up fight against an equivalent player character.
2. The front-page N.P.C. is generated as an average human with his/her O.C.C. skills and abilities only. All O.C.C. related and secondary skills are assumed to be unrelated to combat. On the back page, I present some variants sets of optional skills and alternate equipment, allowing for an N.P.C. who performs a more specialized role. This generator also does not include any special abilities like psionics.
3. All single dice rolls come out as the average result, rounded down. If multiple dice are used, then I alternate rounding down and up. For example, the I.Q. attribute of 3D6 is computed as 3+4+3=10.
4. The Pecos raider comes with two "of choice" W.P.'s. I chose to give the standard bandit a W.P. knife, as he starts out with a vibro-knife and a wooden knife. I didn't pick a second W.P., though I added one to the kidnapper variant on the back.
5. Only the stats and bonuses that would realistically get used in an encounter are included. See below for a list of omissions.
6. I try to use the latest books for stats and rules, so I use the RUE ranged weapon rules and W.P.'s.
7. The character's equipment defaults to cheap, common gear from RUE and GMG. He rides a horse and packs the cheapest laser pistol and rifle he can get, for which he has only 3 spare standard E-clips. His armor is homemade (it gets better as he levels up), and There are some additions on the second page, but this O.C.C. is meant to be more of a vagabond thug then an elite, so there's nothing like the kind of firepower options I put into the Grunt template. A well-equipped and more-threatening bandit could be made simply by using the Grunt template instead.
8. I used both the Bandit O.C.C. from New West as the template, and I took a nod from the Pecos Raider O.C.C. (which is almost identical) and adjusted the "Pilot Vehicle" skill (?) to be "Pilot hovercraft".
9. I added four variants to the back page.
The Thug adds five physical skills and is intended to be a bully in a no-weapons (or SDC only) scenario, the kind of guy who gets sent to extort people by beating them up. He's somewhat more of a melee threat with his vibro-knife.
The Getaway Driver is all about piloting skills on the ground/water for quick escapes. He gets Combat Driver to help him fight a bit better while on the move, and Roadwise to find good places to dump the getaway vehicle.
The Kidnapper gets tailing, prowl, seduction, Rope Works, and W.P. Blunt to allow him to use his neural mace. If you're lucky, he'll hold you for ransom.
The Burglar is all about breaking and entering, as well as selling stolen goods.

What's next? I plan to make some revisions and tweaks based on the feedback I get. I also plan to add a bit of theme art.

Please let me know what I can do to improve this. What do you think of the format/structure, presentation, and the stats included? What do you think of my process?
Would you like to see more N.P.C. generators? What O.C.C./R.C.C. would you like to see next?

Current Issues:
-The “Special Attacks row takes up too much space. This is true of all my N.P.C. generators, and I haven't found a satisfactory solution yet.
-Some of the labels aren't particularly well spaced or sized. I'll optimize them in a future version.
-The page is a bit soulless and needs a little something more to make it more interesting than a giant spreadsheet. If you can think of a good bandit logo idea, I'd love to hear it.

Omitted Content and Simplifications:
-The second "W.P of Choice” is omitted; I may add something in later. Any ideas on this? The starting weapons consist of a pistol, rifle, vibro-knife, and wooden knife. 3 W.P.'s seem to cover them pretty well. I considered an enhancing W.P. like quick-draw, paired weapons, or targeting, but that would make him too skilled. My goal with this N.P.C. is to give him some proficiency in his chosen area, but not to make him an expert in much of anything, except at higher levels (the Getaway driver variant is an arguable exception with Combat Driving, but even a ground vehicle with a combat driver-skilled pilot is going to be easy pickings for a comparable robot/power armor).
-The modern weapons don't include scenario modifiers; I omitted these due to space concerns, and there's a pretty good list in RUE p361.
-The Called Shot rows assume a -4 penalty, but this is variable with a book-given value of -3 or -4, sometimes more.
-Personal items and credits are consolidated into 1200 total (I went with the New West starting cash, not the Pecos Raider from . It's up to the GM to detail that if he/she wants to.
-The weapon stats are incomplete, including only damage, range, and shots per one type of E-clip. This sheet is designed to supplement the book info, not reprint or replace it.
-The armors I've chosen have -10% to most skills, but some of them have minor exceptions (-5% to prowl, but -10 to the rest, or something like that). I've applied -10% across the board.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Hotrod on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Re: The Disposable NPC Bandit Generator, Version 1.0

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Suggestion for a possible solution to your special attack row issue. The hand to hand Basic column takes up a lot of dead space that you could use of the special attacks area and descriptions. Try listing out each special attack in that area, perhaps partialyl merged with the block you already have listed as "special attacks" and list them out like this:
a) kick attack 1d8
b) x 2 dmg on nat 19 or 20
c) body/flip throw: 1d6, loses atk
d) x2 dmg or K.O. from behind

Then all you need to do is put the appropriate reference letter in the appropriate column where you previously wrote out the entry for the special attack gained at that level. See if that helps save you some space in your formatting.

I would hope that these thugs would eventually upgrade their weapons as they reach higher levels maybe at levels 5, 10 and 15? Just to increase their threat levels a bit to scale with PC. Not that any competent GM couldn't just do this on their own.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

J_cobbers wrote:Suggestion for a possible solution to your special attack row issue. The hand to hand Basic column takes up a lot of dead space that you could use of the special attacks area and descriptions. Try listing out each special attack in that area, perhaps partialyl merged with the block you already have listed as "special attacks" and list them out like this:
a) kick attack 1d8
b) x 2 dmg on nat 19 or 20
c) body/flip throw: 1d6, loses atk
d) x2 dmg or K.O. from behind

Then all you need to do is put the appropriate reference letter in the appropriate column where you previously wrote out the entry for the special attack gained at that level. See if that helps save you some space in your formatting.

I would hope that these thugs would eventually upgrade their weapons as they reach higher levels maybe at levels 5, 10 and 15? Just to increase their threat levels a bit to scale with PC. Not that any competent GM couldn't just do this on their own.

Thanks for the idea! That would save considerable amounts of space. It would also make the sheet a bit harder/more tedious to read. Tricky. At this point, I'm content with the amount of detail I've included, at least on the front page.

You also make a very good point about the weapons upgrades. The homemade armor in GMG allows for a wide range of MDC, which is why I chose it over some of the generic armors like the Huntsman. It would be reasonable to have some better options for weapons, even if I restrict them to common single-shot laser weapons. I could cut out a couple of redundant optional armors and put in some optional weapon upgrades. I'll think on that.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Here are the front and back pages of version 1.1.

Revision notes:
+Ranged weapons now upgrade with level! It took a little digging and some new thinking on how to present it, but the bandit N.P.C. now gets a better pistol and rifle every third level. I tried to use common, older weapons as much as possible. All of the weapons presented are single-shot weapons with no inherent bonuses, penalties, or special requirements. This way, the G.M. can swap in alternate weapons or just stick with the one I suggest for each level, without having to worry about bonuses changing. I chose widely-available weapons from older books. In a couple of cases, where a weapon has more than one firing option (heavy or medium, laser or ion) I simplified the damage to be the maximum allowed.
+I optimized text sizes, placement, and touched up some formatting
+The thug now uses vibro-forearm claws instead of a vibro-knife (the parry bonus for this weapon is included in the section). This makes him a more credible threat in melee.
+The getaway driver now has passive nightvision goggles, and I gave a couple of suggestions for diversions that experienced getaway drivers might use to cover an escape.
+Thanks to some space-optimizing I did on the back page, I added in a "Swindler" variation. This thief is equally comfortable stealing by cheating and pick-pocketing as he is with a back-alley holdup. This variant is meant to be more of a threat in a relaxed, "in-town" atmosphere where weapons/armor aren't usually allowed. You can use the front page for the pistol bonuses.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
talmor
Wanderer

Re: The Disposable NPC Bandit Generator, Version 1.1

Unread post by talmor »

Sorry to necro, but I JUST found the charts you made for the Grunt, the Juicer, and the Bandit. I want to say thank you for the work you did on this.

You might have just saved my Rifts game.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

talmor wrote:Sorry to necro, but I JUST found the charts you made for the Grunt, the Juicer, and the Bandit. I want to say thank you for the work you did on this.

You might have just saved my Rifts game.

Hey, you're quite welcome, and thanks for the feedback! Just looking at this again, I'm seeing little issues I should fix, like the equipment list at the bottom of the page that has specific weapons, while the weapons themselves upgrade as the NPC levels up, and the fact that I included thrown bonuses for the vibro claws of the Thug variant, which I'm pretty sure is physically impossible. I really ought to brush this up one more time.

Are there any other standard NPC generators you'd like to see?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

THANK YOU! This has already saved me about 2 hours and will do so many times in the future!

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Is there anywhere else you have these images because Photobucket is saying that I have to upgrade my account for 3rd Party Hosting or some such.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Yeah, Photobucket sucks now. I started transferring a lot of my old pics out, but I haven't gotten to these yet. I'll pop it up in imgur soon.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

So I've moved all my pics over to Imgur now, and after giving it some thought, I've decided to start a new thread and consolidate all my N.P.C. generators. This way, you don't have to go digging to find them all, and I don't have to go back through every one of these threads and update all the links.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!

Return to “Rifts®”