Cost of medical treatment

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Cost of medical treatment

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Looking for information on costs for medical treatments.
bobharly
Explorer

Re: Cost of medical treatment

Unread post by bobharly »

I searched "Medical Cost Broken Leg" and this is what a found on google:

Typical costs: Without health insurance, non-surgical treatment for a broken leg typically costs up to $2,500 or more for a fracture that requires a cast. A leg X-ray costs an average of $210, according to NewChoiceHealth.com , but can cost as much as $1,000 or more at some radiology centers

Translated dollars into credits and you should be fine as long at the medical site is equal to or better than what we have to day. Lower quality care will cost less, but it will also be less effective. For Example, in another search "Medical Cost CAT Scan Brain" returned this result from consumer reports: Rachel Collier paid $9,038 for a CT scan in an ER. But if they don't have a CAT Scan machine, then obviously you can't charge them for that service... But we won't know if the brain is mush or not for a few days.

Try that. As for Futuristic stuff like cybernetics, the game has prices which I often assume include the labor of installation, but prices can vary.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Vampire Kingdoms mentions some credit rates in Ciudad Juarez, I scribbled some notes at the front of my book along with whoring rates as ways I could make easy money in the south.

page 82 (building 33) has a 7th level mind melter charging
    75 for psychic diagnosis
    100-600 for healing wounds/scars
    400 credits for instant sobriety from booze/drugs/poison (via psychic purification)
    500 for venereal diseases (via healing touch and increased healing)
    5,000-50,000 for psychic surgery

page 85 (building 58) has a trio of 12th level psi healers (strangely I think this term was used here before PF2 introduced the PCC) and ten 4th level healing psychics (I assume this means minor/major psis) and a mystic
    50 for psychic diagnosis
    50 credits for healing minor wounds, cuts or bruises from brawls
    100 credits for deep stab wounds and/or blood loss (healing touch)
    250 for negating toxins (booze/drugs/poison) via psychic purification
    300-1200 for internal injuries or grievous wounds (several healing touches, enhanced healing)
    500 for curing minor diseases (healing touch and increased healing)
    4,000 to 24,000 for psychic surgery
    10,000 for exorcism
    similar fees for pets or work animals

page 86 (building 66) has a vagabond major psi (mix of sensitive/healing) who charges:
    20 credits for Deaden Pain
    50 credits for a psychic reading (see aura and empathy, still kind of like a medical diagnosis)
    100 for Psychic Diagnosis

I imagine the first two would also offer something like Deaden Pain (especially building 58 since it's more than one person, someone is bound to have it) but that the author just overlooked it or was conserving space.

So obviously the rates can vary based on the location or reputation of the dealer even within the same city. I don't know if other cities would be similar or rather different. Psychic healing would probably be more expensive in cities where they are discriminated against.

Mundane healing services are probably cheaper since it takes longer for you to recover that way. I imagine psychics get away with charging higher rates for the same HP/SDC/condition because they can get the treatment over with faster.

Comparing to healing-related equipment on page 246-7 of the main book would also be helpful for comparison:
    100 for protein healing salve
    100 for Standard First-Aid Kit
    3,000 for compu-drug dispensor
    5,000 for Portable Bio-Scan
    12,000 for Portable Laboratory
    24,000 for RMK
    42,000 for IRMSS

I hope some later world books also gave rates for villages inside cities... Vkingdoms is the most memorable though. A lot of later WBs skimp on fun details like this. I'm guessing places like MercTown/SplynnDimensionalMarket could have other amounts though.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I believe the bionics book or the warlords of russia book have a lot of costs for major bionic/cybernetic surgeries which gives an idea of how expensive very invasive procedures would cost.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

IIRC Juicer Uprising might have mentioned somewhere in the write up for Kingsdale. Arzno has a list under it's hospital.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

For Rifts: Houstown, I said about 50-100 credits per PPE or ISP needed for the power or spell in question.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”