Laser Resistant Armor? Where?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bobharly
Explorer

Laser Resistant Armor? Where?

Unread post by bobharly »

The Glitterboy (and I believe some variants) are Laser Resistant and take 1/2 damage.

However, I can't remember any other body armor, power armor or mecha that is Laser Resistant. The idea of a Variable Frequency Rifle is cool, but if no one uses Laser Resistant armor then it's really just a specialty weapon...

Help me construct a list of Laser Resistant Armor. Name the armor and the Rifts book it comes from. Thanks. I am looking myself, but short on time right now.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Laser Resistant Armor? Where?

Unread post by Glistam »

Rifts World Book 22: Free Quebec features several laser resistant armors.

The Variable Frequency Lasers are more than just a "specialty weapon" because of the proliferation (at least, in the original book) of Glitter Boy pilots. With Glitter Boy Pilot as a starting class, you had a seemingly significant number of mercenaries/adventurers with "hand me down" Glitterboys.

Also recall that in the original write-up of the CS Skelebots, they were given variable frequency lasers as their main weapon. This is called out as something that Free Quebec objects strongly to due to their official use of Glitterboys. Free Quebec felt this was a deliberate slight against them and their use of the technology. Even the "newer" Skelebots have handheld railguns for a similar reason - they don't do half damage vs Glitterboys.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

bobharly wrote:The Glitterboy (and I believe some variants) are Laser Resistant and take 1/2 damage.

However, I can't remember any other body armor, power armor or mecha that is Laser Resistant. The idea of a Variable Frequency Rifle is cool, but if no one uses Laser Resistant armor then it's really just a specialty weapon...

Help me construct a list of Laser Resistant Armor. Name the armor and the Rifts book it comes from. Thanks. I am looking myself, but short on time right now.

not 100% sure about rifts, but robotech southern cross, and invid invasion a LOT of the human gear is laser resistant.
in robotech masters, all of the body armors, and the VHT are explicitly laser resistant.
in new generation/invid invasion the cvr-3 armor was explicitly laser resistant.
bobharly
Explorer

OK, Good Start

Updated: 8/11/16 at 9:21 AM

1. All Glitterboys from Quebec or Triax, World Book 22 Free Quebec (I see no other armor or vehicles that are Laser resistant in this publication)
2. Robotech Army of Southern Cross and UEEF, both body armor and Veritechs. (Both 1st and 2nd editions)

Who else?
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

bobharly wrote:OK, Good Start

Updated: 8/11/16 at 9:21 AM

1. All Glitterboys from Quebec or Triax, World Book 22 Free Quebec (I see no other armor or vehicles that are Laser resistant in this publication)
2. Robotech Army of Southern Cross and UEEF, both body armor and Veritechs. (Both 1st and 2nd editions)

Who else?

The Republicans have Chromium Armor Glitterboys and other Power Armor. I think it said they also had Chromium EBA also.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

bobharly wrote:The Glitterboy (and I believe some variants) are Laser Resistant and take 1/2 damage.

Rifts:
Free Quebec has it on the Glitterboys (no support hardware or EBA AFAIK)
Triax uses it on Glitterboys and some 'bots (Dragon Wing mentions it specifically, can't recall any others off hand as they might be more numerous in Triax2)
New Navy has Glitterboys (not many, but a few see their force structure on the Tico) in WB7
Republic of Japan has Glitterboy Variants
South America2 has the Glitterboy variant, Arkon Cerasteel might also qualify
Pre-Rifts designs that are in use by The Republicans (SAMAS, Glitterboy, etc)
Zaayr Crystal Dragon (Psycape pg135-7), though this is impervious level (Power Leech is also impervious)
Zapper RCC Ability (Psycape pg81)
Phantom RCC Ability (PW pg37) in Energy Form takes 1/2 damage from lasers
Mutants in Orbit has Glitterboys, along with Chaff (1/2) and Sandcasters (1/3) Defensive systems on ships (pg83-4) and Spacecraft Reflective Armor (pg82)
Depending on how you roll with the text, Naruni Wave 2 Thermal Kinetic Armor might also apply (if you treat the laser as a thermal attack)

Robotech:
1E ASC Mecha (Battloids and Veritechs), EBA, EBA shields, IIRC some additional REF hardware also is laser resistant, plus members of the Spherian Race have a degree of laser resistant (impervious).
2E ASC mecha and EBA IINM
Robotech Masters hardware might also be laser resistant (parts of their City Ships are per dialogue), though I forget off hand if the RPG addresses it
bobharly
Explorer

HWalsh wrote:
bobharly wrote:Who else?

The Republicans have Chromium Armor Glitterboys and other Power Armor. I think it said they also had Chromium EBA also.

Who are the Republicans? I'm an old 1st Edition player returning after 20 years.

BTW, aside from a few OCC/RCC and magical spells, it looks like only Glitterboy Variants around the Globe and Robotech Gear/Mecha from Southern Cross and REF are the only production Laser Resistant Armors.

Considering that the Glitterboy is supposed to be rare outside of Quebec, I am amazed at how many different types of Glitterboys there are... I get the feeling like the only reason for equipping with Variable Frequency Rifles is if you expect to be facing a... Glitterboy.

What else can folks think of? Rifts must have more Laser Resistant targets where a Variable Freq Laser Rifle is useful.
bobharly
Explorer

ShadowLogan wrote:

Rifts:
Free Quebec has it on the Glitterboys (no support hardware or EBA AFAIK)
Triax uses it on Glitterboys and some 'bots (Dragon Wing mentions it specifically, can't recall any others off hand as they might be more numerous in Triax2)
New Navy has Glitterboys (not many, but a few see their force structure on the Tico) in WB7
Republic of Japan has Glitterboy Variants
South America2 has the Glitterboy variant, Arkon Cerasteel might also qualify
Pre-Rifts designs that are in use by The Republicans (SAMAS, Glitterboy, etc)
Zaayr Crystal Dragon (Psycape pg135-7), though this is impervious level (Power Leech is also impervious)
Zapper RCC Ability (Psycape pg81)
Phantom RCC Ability (PW pg37) in Energy Form takes 1/2 damage from lasers
Mutants in Orbit has Glitterboys, along with Chaff (1/2) and Sandcasters (1/3) Defensive systems on ships (pg83-4) and Spacecraft Reflective Armor (pg82)
Depending on how you roll with the text, Naruni Wave 2 Thermal Kinetic Armor might also apply (if you treat the laser as a thermal attack)

Robotech:
1E ASC Mecha (Battloids and Veritechs), EBA, EBA shields, IIRC some additional REF hardware also is laser resistant, plus members of the Spherian Race have a degree of laser resistant (impervious).
2E ASC mecha and EBA IINM
Robotech Masters hardware might also be laser resistant (parts of their City Ships are per dialogue), though I forget off hand if the RPG addresses it

Thanks for citing the sources!!!
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

bobharly wrote:
HWalsh wrote:

Who are the Republicans? I'm an old 1st Edition player returning after 20 years.

BTW, aside from a few OCC/RCC and magical spells, it looks like only Glitterboy Variants around the Globe and Robotech Gear/Mecha from Southern Cross and REF are the only production Laser Resistant Armors.

Considering that the Glitterboy is supposed to be rare outside of Quebec, I am amazed at how many different types of Glitterboys there are... I get the feeling like the only reason for equipping with Variable Frequency Rifles is if you expect to be facing a... Glitterboy.

What else can folks think of? Rifts must have more Laser Resistant targets where a Variable Freq Laser Rifle is useful.

The Republicans were re-introduced to Rifts in Sourcebook 1 Revised.

They were mentioned, it seems, in a 1st edition book but then Kevin S. forgot they existed. He re-added them.

The Republicans are the remnants of NEMA they are not related to the real-world political party.

Abridged version:
They know about ARCHIE Three. They have a serious grudge against him. ARCHIE Three has 53,000 NEMA Soldiers, fully outfitted, in cryostasis that the Republicans want. On top of that after the Rifts the Republicans set up a city-state, the New Republic, and it got squashed by the Spluggorth. They begged ARCHIE for help, but he basically said that it was too risky, that it could reveal him, and he wouldn't do it. The NEMA forces tried to break into ARCHIE's compound and were slaughtered.

Now the remnants of that are the ultimate spies and such of Rifts Earth.

The Armor and SAMAS plans that wound up in the Chi-Town Library? They put it there. On purpose.
The Glitterboy plans that wound up in Free Quebeck? They put it there. On purpose.
The assassination of the first Dunscon that the CS took credit for? They did it.

They have recently managed to use a backdoor to somewhat hack ARCHIE Three and use his factories to outfit their current troops. I'd have to look up the number but I want to say maybe 20,000 troops. The Republicans ultimate goal is to free the 53,000, destroy ARCHIE Three, then assassinate the Prosek Legacy (they thought by giving the CS the things they did, that they would be a new American Government. They are displeased with the outcome.) only to swoop in and take over the CS. They have key players in high positions in the CS ready to perform the coup once everything is good to go.

They have advanced Glitterboys, advanced Armor (light MDC Armor that has more MDC than many Heavy Armors for example) as well as their own Glitterboy variants. Such as the "Little Brother" they also have their own SAMAS variant, the Golden Eagle.

Citations and Sources:
Chromium Guardsman Mk III - SB1r pg 127
Chromium Troop Armor (aka Little Brother) - SB1r pg 129
Last edited by HWalsh on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Well chromium is not the only highly reflective surface it should be possible for more armor to be laser restent. Just the writers do not make much of laser resistant armor but you could add more in your games.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I may be wrong, but I thought Siege on Tolkeen: Cyberknights also had the option of adding laser-resistance to their body armor.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

taalismn wrote:I may be wrong, but I thought Siege on Tolkeen: Cyberknights also had the option of adding laser-resistance to their body armor.

I do not remember this.

If you can, however, of if anyone knows of this please point it out to me...
bobharly
Explorer

HWalsh wrote:
bobharly wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
bobharly wrote:The Republicans were re-introduced to Rifts in Sourcebook 1 Revised.

Citations and Sources:

My copy of SB1 is 1st editon and only has 119 pages. I flipped through the book real fast and did not see the Republicans, but I did find this on page 7, "[Variable Frequency Lasers] None are widely produced, as Glitterboys and laser resistant armor of kind are comparatively scarce."

I am thinking it's time for Wilk's to introduce a laser resistant body armor....
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

bobharly wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
bobharly wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
bobharly wrote:The Republicans were re-introduced to Rifts in Sourcebook 1 Revised.

Citations and Sources:

My copy of SB1 is 1st editon and only has 119 pages. I flipped through the book real fast and did not see the Republicans, but I did find this on page 7, "[Variable Frequency Lasers] None are widely produced, as Glitterboys and laser resistant armor of kind are comparatively scarce."

I am thinking it's time for Wilk's to introduce a laser resistant body armor....

They made a new edition of SB1 called Source Book 1 Revised. It is the updated 110 PA timeline.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

bobharly wrote:
HWalsh wrote:

The Republicans are mentioned in passing in the Rifts Main Book (ie 1E), review the world overview block concerning the D.C. area. It should be noted this is just a reference that they exist but they are not fleshed out (basically its like saying "City of X" without much detail). They did not get a fleshing out until Source Book 1 Revised was released.

It might be more accurate to think of Glitterboy's as rare outside of Free Quebec in North America given various other material that has expanded the list of users to South America, Space, Japan, out at sea natively and Europe introduced via trade between Germany and FQ.

Given various mentions of a lack of laser resistant targets, the VFL is very much an anti-GB weapon. Though there might be instances where the VFL might not be able to adapt (like Zapper, or RT materials which might operate at frequencies outside of the 13 Chrome ones mentioned in SB1o, or the Chaff/sand-blaster in MiO).
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

The specialty armor of the Arkon aliens in South America takes half damage from just about all energy attacks not just lasers.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the original fluff suggests that VFL's are useful against things other than just glitterboy armor, though it doesn't go into it.

honestly it would not be hard for a GM to add additional anti-laser/anti-energy defenses for the VFL to overcome.. or to rule that all armor has a frequency it is weak too, which if you find it the weapon does extra damage.

a,so the arkhon armor is specifically said to not be vulnerable to VFL's (though the Incans did develop a VFL rifle while figuring that out, and kept it as their main rifle..)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

taalismn wrote:I may be wrong, but I thought Siege on Tolkeen: Cyberknights also had the option of adding laser-resistance to their body armor.

They could go full TW for Impervious to Energy but that would cause CS problems assuming psi-stalkers can tell apart the smell of magic spells being used and psychic abilities. I checked the armor section in the back but couldn't find it.

Should be feasible if you can dismantle some Republican armor though.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

IIRC Stalkers and dog boys can't tell the difference between psychic and magic powers in use all they know is that they are in use.
Axelmania
Knight

The class ability seems pretty vague about it but I don't want to risk nerfing them if it does clarify their ability to distinguish between them better.

I think they can at least tell apart supernatural beings since it's a separately listed ability with a different name, must ping differently.

If they can track individual smells then once they get to know the nature of a smell (psychic or magic) then they would know which individual they were pinging.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

One of the villains in HU's "Villains Unlimited" has laser resistant armor and (iirc) vehicles.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

One of the villains in HU's "Villains Unlimited" has laser resistant armor and (iirc) vehicles.

And he has connections to KLS....
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:The class ability seems pretty vague about it but I don't want to risk nerfing them if it does clarify their ability to distinguish between them better.

I think they can at least tell apart supernatural beings since it's a separately listed ability with a different name, must ping differently.

If they can track individual smells then once they get to know the nature of a smell (psychic or magic) then they would know which individual they were pinging.

It seamed to me they they could tell the difference between things. They could track individuals by the scent of there power. It is described as being a psi-bloodhound like ability (that implies high develped tracking power).

Lone star defines the amount of PPE a person needs to be tracked as high PPE.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the original fluff suggests that VFL's are useful against things other than just glitterboy armor, though it doesn't go into it.

honestly it would not be hard for a GM to add additional anti-laser/anti-energy defenses for the VFL to overcome.. or to rule that all armor has a frequency it is weak too, which if you find it the weapon does extra damage.

a,so the arkhon armor is specifically said to not be vulnerable to VFL's (though the Incans did develop a VFL rifle while figuring that out, and kept it as their main rifle..)

If you wanted to increase the utility of Variable Frequency Lasers you could allow them to adapt and eventually bypass force fields.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Glistam wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:the original fluff suggests that VFL's are useful against things other than just glitterboy armor, though it doesn't go into it.

If you wanted to increase the utility of Variable Frequency Lasers you could allow them to adapt and eventually bypass force fields.

THAT is an interesting idea!
:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Glistam wrote:

He? I know that this game is handwavium based, but what the eff would be the rationale for coherent light to just bypass a different enrgy?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Svartalf wrote:
Glistam wrote:

He? I know that this game is handwavium based, but what the eff would be the rationale for coherent light to just bypass a different enrgy?

Could go the Star Trek route.

"By adjusting to match the wave frequency of the force field the l(ph)aser can pass through."
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

A force field that doesn't allow some degree of light through would be useless, as the wearer would be unable to see. Also, unless the field was skin-tight, there would presumably need to be some means for the wearer to shoot out of the field. Ergo, the field cannot be 100% proof against all lasers at all time in all directions.
bobharly
Explorer

So in gaming terms, maybe Variable Freq Lasers can half their damage bypass force fields. That way the force field isn't useless, but some light and energy still passes through by matching frequencies. That sounds cool. I am also thinking I will have Wilk's introduce a suit of armor, THE EXPLORER 2.0 LR, doubling the price. Why? They have a surplus of Chameleon Rifles that aren't selling. So lets create a need by selling LR armor. Since VFL are scarce, but regular lasers are more available, this will over a few years create a market need for a weapon that can deal with it. And guess what? They have the solution in stock!

I am working stuff out for my campaign and I wanted a reason for VFL that is bigger than just Glitterboy hate. I think I know where I'm gonna take this...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In HU:AU you cab buy a laser resistant coating for your body and power armors. And in AU:GG you can include laser resistant coatings for the space-/starships you build with the construction tables there.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In HU:AU you cab buy a laser resistant coating for your body and power armors. And in AU:GG you can include laser resistant coatings for the space-/starships you build with the construction tables there.

Eh, I don't think that really we should generally assume though that HU/AU books are really viable for general application for Rifts.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Maybe instead of a New Armor, Wilks introduces a new armor option that applies a Laser Resistant coating to existing armor? The same guidelines for the Naruni Variable Camouflage Armor can be applied here for how much damage the armor can sustain before the coating no longer works.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

HWalsh wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In HU:AU you cab buy a laser resistant coating for your body and power armors. And in AU:GG you can include laser resistant coatings for the space-/starships you build with the construction tables there.

Eh, I don't think that really we should generally assume though that HU/AU books are really viable for general application for Rifts.

HU stuff is more applicable to the rifts setting then anything is Star Trek.

As it happens I was only mentioning the locations of other options, while staying on topic and no-one else had mentioned them, so those people interested could make up their own minds.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
bobharly
Explorer

Glistam wrote:Maybe instead of a New Armor, Wilks introduces a new armor option that applies a Laser Resistant coating to existing armor? The same guidelines for the Naruni Variable Camouflage Armor can be applied here for how much damage the armor can sustain before the coating no longer works.

SWEET! Like sunscreen! Sell it by the canister and keep em' coming back for more!

What book are the Naruni in?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

bobharly wrote:
Glistam wrote:Maybe instead of a New Armor, Wilks introduces a new armor option that applies a Laser Resistant coating to existing armor? The same guidelines for the Naruni Variable Camouflage Armor can be applied here for how much damage the armor can sustain before the coating no longer works.

SWEET! Like sunscreen! Sell it by the canister and keep em' coming back for more!

Mercenaries.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:
bobharly wrote:

Mercenaries.

And 3G book 1 phase world :P :D and Naruni 2nd wave.
G did direct you to the sourcebook that the optical camo-armor is in.
Axelmania
Knight

RockJock wrote:

And he has connections to KLS....

Connections? Pg 203 of VU mentions his theories were instrumental in creating ARCHIE and he was the driving force behind the creation of the Glitter Boy. Usurper's fingers are everywhere. He's probably one of the 4 dangers coming to threaten Rifts Earth.
Marcethus
Champion

Proseksword wrote:A force field that doesn't allow some degree of light through would be useless, as the wearer would be unable to see. Also, unless the field was skin-tight, there would presumably need to be some means for the wearer to shoot out of the field. Ergo, the field cannot be 100% proof against all lasers at all time in all directions.

Naruni Forcefields work by the reacting to the speed of the incoming attack. Even has the rules to possibly bypass it. By attacking at such a slow speed that makes it easy for the person being attacked to parry. But that applies to NE fields not sure about other types.
Axelmania
Knight

That seems like a situation where the GM ought to wave any penalties that exist for parrying or dodging gunfire. Full bonuses would make sense against such a slow attack.
bobharly
Explorer

I don't have Rifts Mercenaries or the Heros Unlimited books. If we treat the Laser Resistance coating as an Add-on, the next question is the Cost?

Let's just start with Body Armor pricing. Without any of the mentioned books handy, I'm thinking a premium price (Including Labor of installation) of 15000 credits. Yes, I pulled that number off the top of my head, but if it doubles the armors effective capacity against lasers it's more than worth it. What is the charge for adding Naruni Camo to your armor? That might help me with my pricing...

And I'm thinking once the armor is depleted below 50% in an area (Main Body, for example) the coating is no longer effective as too much of it has been blasted off.

My next thought, is should this be a paint, a thin film/wrap or a laminated material (Tiles or plates) that is adhered onto the armor? I'm leaning towards a thin film or wrap, like getting your windows tinted. I'm also thinking that like tinting the front windows of your car is illegal, the CS may take issue with LR film on body armor...
Marcethus
Champion

Axelmania wrote:That seems like a situation where the GM ought to wave any penalties that exist for parrying or dodging gunfire. Full bonuses would make sense against such a slow attack.

Any form of gunfire would trigger the force field. The Naruni Force Field lays out the exact penalties to the attack for trying it. But IIRC it's something like -6 to strike and possibly a bonus to the defender to parry or dodge the attack
Marcethus
Champion

bobharly wrote:I don't have Rifts Mercenaries or the Heros Unlimited books. If we treat the Laser Resistance coating as an Add-on, the next question is the Cost?

Let's just start with Body Armor pricing. Without any of the mentioned books handy, I'm thinking a premium price (Including Labor of installation) of 15000 credits. Yes, I pulled that number off the top of my head, but if it doubles the armors effective capacity against lasers it's more than worth it. What is the charge for adding Naruni Camo to your armor? That might help me with my pricing...

And I'm thinking once the armor is depleted below 50% in an area (Main Body, for example) the coating is no longer effective as too much of it has been blasted off.

My next thought, is should this be a paint, a thin film/wrap or a laminated material (Tiles or plates) that is adhered onto the armor? I'm leaning towards a thin film or wrap, like getting your windows tinted. I'm also thinking that like tinting the front windows of your car is illegal, the CS may take issue with LR film on body armor...

The Naruni Camo isn't an add-on option at least in Mercenaries. I don't know if Wave 2 made it an option but IIRC the NE-C20 (the one with the camo) armor costs like 75000 credits.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Marcethus wrote:
bobharly wrote:I don't have Rifts Mercenaries or the Heros Unlimited books. If we treat the Laser Resistance coating as an Add-on, the next question is the Cost?

The Naruni Camo isn't an add-on option at least in Mercenaries. I don't know if Wave 2 made it an option but IIRC the NE-C20 (the one with the camo) armor costs like 75000 credits.

To my knowledge the naruni Camo is not a armor add on.

LR film would be of limited use as once it takes so much damage the bonus would be lost. You would want to build the armor out of some highly reflective substance so that the bonus is not lost as it takes damage, or melts the film off. I do use it as an option in my games when you design and build armor but to me as an add on it would stop working once so much damage is taken(I would rule 10MD and it stops working).

bobharly
Explorer

Blue_Lion wrote:
Marcethus wrote:
bobharly wrote:And I'm thinking once the armor is depleted below 50% in an area (Main Body, for example) the coating is no longer effective as too much of it has been blasted off.

LR film would be of limited use as once it takes so much damage the bonus would be lost. You would want to build the armor out of some highly reflective substance so that the bonus is not lost as it takes damage, or melts the film off. I do use it as an option in my games when you design and build armor but to me as an add on it would stop working once so much damage is taken(I would rule 10MD and it stops working).

Same idea, different threshold. Long term, I want manufactures to begin offering LR versions of their armor. I want to start sub sector arms race in my campaign using an underused technology.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

bobharly wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Marcethus wrote:
bobharly wrote:And I'm thinking once the armor is depleted below 50% in an area (Main Body, for example) the coating is no longer effective as too much of it has been blasted off.

Same idea, different threshold. Long term, I want manufactures to begin offering LR versions of their armor. I want to start sub sector arms race in my campaign using an underused technology.

The problem with materials that are overly specialized in terms of resistance is that it can result in a few outcomes:
-lasers become more powerful to adapt (either in terms of damage or a way to beat the LR, but the beating of LR might not have much other use)
-you shift weapons use away from lasers to the point that the LR material is an under utilized (like Particle, Ion, Plasma, Railgun, etc)

Consider this, in Robotech the ASC has tons of laser resistant equipment, but it is of little use since the Zentreadi (who they are geared toward) or "malcontents" (likely using TMS-era weapons) aren't heavy into lasers. The Masters have some laser weapons, but unless you're engaging Bioroid Terminators and their laser rifle, standard Bioroids don't have to use laser weapons. And the Invid don't particularly use lasers much either (and those as secondary weapons IINM).
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Well if we're going outside of Rifts.

Nightspawn feature alien shape crystalline

PFRPG Island at the edge of the world crystal sword power number 3 and crystal skin power.

Splicer bio enhancement bio defenses resistance to lasers

Chaos Earth Silver Eagle

And then of course there are various powers and spells, but I don't think those can be defeated by varying the freak.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

bobharly wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Marcethus wrote:

Under used technology? Your going to have them developing railguns instead of coilguns? :)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Instead of an expensive coating that will wear off have an anti-laser grenade. When it detonated it fills an area with a smokey cloud (case carries a warning stating not to use it unless your in EBA as the particles have been found to cause cancer in lab mutants) the cloud is made of a vapor that retracts the laser and highly reflective material. The cloud covers a 30' area and reduces laser damage to a quarter for one turn. After the first turn the reflective particles have settled. The mist remains for three more turns and reduces laser damage by half. After the fourthe turn the mist is to low to the ground to protect anything over 5" tall and on the fifth has completely settled to the ground.

Unfortunate side effect, everybody come out sparkly (no benifts) and no matter what will keep finding glitter in places they didn't know glitter could go (no harmful effectz).

27 credits a grenade
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Plating. The suit some sort out looking like a discoball at best a prom dress or pimp suit with sequins at worst... I guess worst would be coming out looking like a Meyer Vampire.
Axelmania
Knight

Marcethus wrote:Any form of gunfire would trigger the force field. The Naruni Force Field lays out the exact penalties to the attack for trying it. But IIRC it's something like -6 to strike and possibly a bonus to the defender to parry or dodge the attack

It doesn't mention any bonuses to the parry or dodge. Sounds like a great idea though.

I'm mainly looking for more of a "bonuses count" and "no penalties" first though, since most people dodge gunfire with no bonuses plus penalties on their natural roll.

Return to “Rifts®”