savage foes of north america for savage rifts backers is up.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kaid
Knight

savage foes of north america for savage rifts backers is up.

Unread post by kaid »

Looks like I just got my email to download this a few minutes ago so check yer in boxes for the main PDF of the last of the three savage world .pdf from the kick starter.
Molydeus
D-Bee

Re: savage foes of north america for savage rifts backers is

Unread post by Molydeus »

Yeah, I got it. I think it's pretty dope. However, I haven't read it all the way through yet. There's some things I would have done differently based on my cursory analysis. I would have liked more artwork so I know what some of these things look like. I would also like more entries, because there are so many things they could have put in. But I think that it's better to have a handful things explored in detail than a whole lot of things just barely touched on. But of course I'm greedy, and I want more. :) Overall I think they did a good job with the space they had. But I'm hoping they put out more books of foes soon.

And I got my rules for Coalition characters (weapons, armor, etc.), for when they go rogue. I also find the prospect of playing a rebel brodkil cyborg merc appealing, but I've got a lot of other Rifts concepts that I want to flex before I try that.

And finally, shifters! I was aggravated they didn't put them in the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide, but now I have enough rules to make them player characters. Now the find a GM to let me play one... :D
"Just an observation: the thread that was created in order to keep another thread from being dragged off topic has now been dragged off topic." --Knight/flatline
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

They covered in reasonable detail the most likely opponents people will face based out of that part of the country so it does a pretty good job and has good critter generator stuff at the end which I always liked in my old Rifts RMB for random thing from beyond the rift generation.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

I found it kinda odd they dropped psi from the "mystic"knights.
They are mystics......that are knights.

Also on the Necromancers entry the skelton and zombie thing is brutal, they have no upper limit as to how many they can make or control.
25 ppe necro
Day 1- 25 zombies created from 25 corpses, tell them to dig up a grave yard.
Day 2- 12 skeltons created and 1 zombie tell them to go round up villagers
Day 3 - sacrifice villagers bonus ppe, all dead villiagersvare zombies plus rest of grave yard,

Day 100- if you keep finding grave yards even with out any conflict you could easily have a massive undead army, as a novice.

Miss attaching squid arms to my legsvasva necromancer and climbing the walls for a suprise attack
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Its a bit more than normal rifts ones but necros can summon a TON of minions given time and materials. One thing that probably makes them more scary in savage rifts though is the skeletons and zombies being SDC attackers is not really a hinderance. Most things are not MDC so getting swarmed by hordes of skeletons now is legit dangerous even if you are not spending the time and money to give them equipment capable of hurting people in armor.
Zamion138
Hero

Also you can ask you zombies to kindly go around the corner and rend the flesh from each other and make them into skeltons with better stats.....hehe
But in anouther room, I relize im a mage of death but I dont want to see that .
As far as i can tell you cant make skeltons if they have flesh still, am i reading that right from the foes book?
Molydeus
D-Bee

Unread post by Molydeus »

Zamion138 wrote:I found it kinda odd they dropped psi from the "mystic"knights.
They are mystics......that are knights.

Yeah copy assuming they don't address this in the arena, I'll go back and add psionics to the Mystic Knights.

Also on the Necromancers entry the skelton and zombie thing is brutal, they have no upper limit as to how many they can make or control.

This is a fairly significant oversight, isn't it? Especially in light of kaid's points. Shifters have hard limits to what they can summon and control, which only makes sense. I might adapt something like that two necromancers, though I would make it a little more forgiving for them -- say, reduce PPE for every group of X number of undead, or something. Having hordes of zombies and skeletons at one's command is practically a staple of the necromancer.
"Just an observation: the thread that was created in order to keep another thread from being dragged off topic has now been dragged off topic." --Knight/flatline
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Although rifts does have a cap a mid/high level necro can have a ton of skeletons/zombies/mummies under their control and has spells to summon extra ones on the fly some directly controlled some not. There is one spell that basically animates everything in a huge radius and just have them shamble over to your location.

Still I am pretty okay with necros having armies of the dead that is pretty much what they are there for and are a much more significant threat in savage rifts than what they currently are.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I just double checked and it looks like there is no upper limit basically its limited per ritual on how much PPE the necromancer has available or can sacrifice to make available and "raw materials".
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

yeah, a regular rifts necromancer can create as many zombies and mummies as they have the resources (PPE, time, spell knowledge, fresh corpses, ritual supplies, etc) to create.

so, if the savage rifts version can do that, well, that's a pretty faithful conversion.

that said, there should probably be a weaker animate dead effect which most necromancers use, because rifts necromancers don't start off knowing how to create zombies or mummies, they're just quite good at animating dead things until they gain more spell knowledge.

and on a side note, if you count up all the various ways for shifters to gain minions, the theoretical maximum capacity for even a mid-level shifter isn't nearly as limiting as the time and energy constraints.
Zamion138
Hero

Shark_Force wrote:yeah, a regular rifts necromancer can create as many zombies and mummies as they have the resources (PPE, time, spell knowledge, fresh corpses, ritual supplies, etc) to create.

so, if the savage rifts version can do that, well, that's a pretty faithful conversion.

that said, there should probably be a weaker animate dead effect which most necromancers use, because rifts necromancers don't start off knowing how to create zombies or mummies, they're just quite good at animating dead things until they gain more spell knowledge.

and on a side note, if you count up all the various ways for shifters to gain minions, the theoretical maximum capacity for even a mid-level shifter isn't nearly as limiting as the time and energy constraints.

But they can only control so many, i dont have my books with me but they cant command 300 skeletons at a time. They can make that many mind you.
Zamion138
Hero

Speaking of savage rifts, what is it that made them drop d-port and similar spells do you think, I dont think it needs its own thread but anyone got some insight
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Zamion138 wrote:Speaking of savage rifts, what is it that made them drop d-port and similar spells do you think, I dont think it needs its own thread but anyone got some insight

Their spell system doesn't have enough options to do all the Palladium stuff, out of the box. There are hints they'll be writing more spells for Savage Rifts in the near future.

As for the new book: Young Adult Dragon power points look a bit low to me. I also don't really like the lack of psi for mystic knights. Maybe it's all for "balance," but Neuron Beasts seem loaded. Why not load an adult dragon, even if it is "young?" But I still dont have a feel for how it all works in practice, so wait and see, I guess.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Zamion138 wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:yeah, a regular rifts necromancer can create as many zombies and mummies as they have the resources (PPE, time, spell knowledge, fresh corpses, ritual supplies, etc) to create.

But they can only control so many, i dont have my books with me but they cant command 300 skeletons at a time. They can make that many mind you.

a rifts necromancer can control as many animated dead as they can animate. what they actually can't do is make skeletons at all, technically :P (rifts doesn't seem to have a spell for permanently animating skeletons, just for temporarily animating the dead, or making zombies or mummies). actually exercising control can be a bit of a challenge in the sense that if you have, say, 10,000 mummies, you're going to have a hard time issuing orders to them if you don't have some sort of system to transmit your orders simply because many of them won't be able to hear your orders, but none of them will ever get to a point where they will disobey your orders because there are so many of them.

Return to “Rifts®”