Help me finish my Sabertooth Bat-Folk Race.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

Help me finish my Sabertooth Bat-Folk Race.

Unread post by SpiritKitsune7 »

Do I need to change anything?
Rifts Sabertooth Bat-folk
Sabertooth Bat-folks look like very human-like bats with huge muscles, bat fur, ears, wings, face, and tail with saber tooth cat fangs. These adult bat-folk average from 6 to 7 feet tall. They are strong, intelligent, cunning, and stunningly beautiful. They have psionic ultrasonic sonar and can only digest fruit, vegetables, and grains. They are master spies, and they have colonized 40% of 36 galaxies and have recently discovered rifts earth and have plans to colonize earth! They are the only space faring race to of invented pure negative light lasers weapons that affect neural matter. If the Grey aliens exist they have crude reverse engineered versions. They have spacecraft with an advanced hyperdimensional warp drive that allows them to travel from one galaxy to the next as short as an earth month’s time! They tend to have good or unprincipled alignments and defend the little guys if the cause is good. They have the manpower and equipment to destroy the Splurgoth Empire within 3 days of their navy’s arrival if they choose to! They make the best spy gear in the metaverse! 40% of their race is Psi-Ghosts with the intangibility power! The rest are mystic ninjas, rift runners or O.C.C.’s with both psionics and magic! They love stealth-based abilities, powers, and items. Sabertooth Bat-folk does tend to have their fangs carved with elaborate carvings and filled with rare metals. Sabertooth Bat-folk women tend to wear decretive anklets that hold up their dresses when the hang upside down for modesty reasons. And they tend to hang upside down while sleeping and they never have health problems from hanging upside down. Some saber tooth bat-folks love assassinating evil beings! Bat-folk do not see stealing as evil as long as return the item in 7 days in the same condition or better with a small gift and the item cannot cost over 10,000 credits. It’s a game to increase their skills with.

Racial Stats
Alignment: Good or Unprincipled
Attributes: I.Q.: 3d6+8, M.E.: 3d6+8, M.A.: 3d6+8, P.S.: 3d6+10 (Supernatural), P.P.: 3d6+4, P.E.: 2d6+8, P.B.: 3d6+4. Speed: 3d6. Flying speed 50 mph, with a 5000 feet height ceiling (Psionic with the use of wings).
M.D.C. 120+P.E., add 10 M.D.C. per level plus skills.
Awe Factor: 8
P.P.E.: add 30 P.P.E. to your starting O.C.C. Plus add the spell’s Time Warp: Send and Dimensional pockets to your spell list. Rifts World Book 3 England page 83.
I.S.P.: add 50 I.S.P. to your starting O.C.C. You are considered a natural born master of Psionics. You start off with 3 extra lesser powers and you gain a super psionic power every level instead of every other level. Sabertooth bat-folks can take the Psi-Slayers Locate & Track Mark super psionic power at 3rd level or later. World book 12 Psyscape page 72.
Advanced Ultrasonic Contents Detection: (similar to the Ultrasonic Contents Detection power on page 79 in After the Bomb Rifts book) Using high-pitched sound, the character can probe the contents of barrels, boxes, and other containers, and determine their basic contents from the distance of up to 70 feet. The character will be able to automatically tell if the container is empty, totally full, or anything in between, and whether the contents are solid, liquid, gaseous, vacuum, flammable, explosive or volatile. If there is a liquid in an airtight container, like an oil barrel or shipping drum, the character also tells if it is water or something heavier like crude oil or milk, but not what the exact item is or its chemical formula. The character can also use this ability to probe smooth walls up to 1 foot thick in buildings, with a 35% +3% per level of experience chance of figuring out the thickness of the wall, and even get a “sense” of what is beyond the wall. Again, this is a vague idea, so the character can tell how full the room on the other side of the wall is, which might indicate its use. Empty is, well, empty, probably uninhabited. Larger scattered shapes inside probably indicate furniture, while a full room may indicate storage (i.e. filled with crates or boxes). The character can also tell if the room beyond the wall is full of water, air, or vacuum. People are only recognizable if they are actively moving around or whispering. The character can target a person with a mega damage ranged weapon or a long enough mega damage melee blade through a wall with a -3 called shot modifier. Your character can sense dimensional anomalies within 70 feet.
Natural Abilities: Night vision 2000 feet and you have advanced bio-regeneration 2d6 M.D.C. per hour. Plus you can regenerate your full body with your mind without any insanity from a single surviving cell! Immunity to most supernatural detection powers and spell except Locate & track mark power and the wish spell! Dog boys and Psi-stalkers need to track them the old fashioned way!
Racial skills: All saber tooth bat-folk’s start with prowl, pick locks, pickpocket, palming, seduction and dance skills at 40% before the I.Q., O.C.C., and other starting benefits are added.
Vulnerability: Charm spells does 1d4 M.D.C. every two caster levels of damage starting at level 1. They angered a god a long time ago and later killed him or her.
Attacks: Bite 1d6 M.D.C./Power Bite 3d6 M.D.C.

Skills
Pilot:
Power Skin suit, (50%+4%)
This skill allows you to safely pilot this skintight suit and metal frame with its features and jet pack.
Items
Shadow Stalker Skin Suit
Manufactured by Stealthy r’ us
Class: Stealth Military Flight Suit
Crew: One.
M.D.C. by location:
Wings (2) -30 each
Arms and hands (2) -50 each
Rear Jet Pack -80
Legs and Feet (2) -80 each
Negative Light blaster -15
Force Field Generator -20
Perfect Cloaking Device -20
Micro-missile launcher- 15
Feet Energy-claws (2)- 15
*Head/Helmet -70
**Main Body -200
Speed:
Running: 50 mph (80 km) maximum, the act does tire out its operator, but at 20% of the usual fatigue rate.
Leaping: The powerful power lift frame can make jumps onto 5 story buildings without using its jet pack.
Flying: The Shadow Stalker Skin Suit jet pack and wings allows you to hover to the height of one mile. And allows you to fly up to the speed of Mach 3= 2010 mph (3216 km), cruising speed is Mach one.
This is a complete environmental armor for all hostile environments, including space.
Statistical Data:
Height, width, and length: Custom fit for the user.
Weight: 60 lbs.
Physical Strength: Augmented P.S. 30
Cargo: None.
Power System: Micro universe battery; unlimited lifespan, unlimited power! The Splurgoth will pay an entire galaxy for information to mass produce them!
1. Wrist pulsing neural laser: A small laser that disintegrates a target’s neural system in small amounts without pain. A hit with this laser affects the whole body! The target will spasm for 10 minutes and a second pulse will knock the target into a coma that last 1d4 days! This weapon does damage to the target’s I.Q. stat and shooting a person enough will kill them! Only a resurrection spell will bring the deceased back to life! You can kill any living thing or mechanical being with a brain or mind! Only creatures with advanced bio-regeneration and androids with nano-machines that have surviving cells and builder nano-bots can come back from the dead!
Primary Purpose: Assassination.
Secondary Purpose: Assault and Defense.
Mega-Damage: 3d6 per pulse. Only to Force fields, magical, psionic force fields and laser resistant armor.
Special: 3 I.Q. damage per pulse. The beam travels through most armor like a phase pistol.
The rate of Fire: Each pulse counts as one melee attack. Fired by the will to kill, voice recognition and neural map lock for stopping the unknown user from using the weapon and theft of the suit.
Maximum Effective Range: 4000 feet (1219 meters).
Payload: Effectively unlimited.
2. Micro-missile Launcher: A small domed launcher on the back of this suit’s jetpack holds 20 guided fusion micro-missiles that are a size of a pencil.
Primary Purpose: Anti-Aircraft/Armored Vehicle.
Mega-Damage: 5d6
Maximum Effective Range: 10 miles
The rate of Fire: May be fired one missile at a time, in volleys of two, three, four, or five. Or a swarm of 20!
Special: This suit manufacturers micro-missiles one at a time and takes 10 minutes per missile.
Payload: 20
3. Feet Energy-claws: These claws have space age hydraulic crushing and slicing power with the bionic strength of 30.
Mega-Damage: 2d6x10
4. Medium Force Field:
M.D.C. 70
No movement penalties.
10-hour duration then needs to cool off for 20 minutes.
Regenerates 5 M.D.C. every 10 minutes.
5. Perfect cloaking device: Not even a god can find you!
Duration: 1 hour then it will need to cool down for 8 hours or you will burn alive! You can use this cloaking device in 5-minute increments until you used up 1 hour of time.
6. Neural Anti-theft system: this suit scans the user’s neural imprint of all the neural cells in his or her body and protects the suit from theft. When an unauthorized person wears this suit, the suit will give the thief 5 minutes to remove the suit with its automated voice. If the thief does not take the suit off it will electrocute the thief’s pain center in his or her brain! There is a 95% chance the thief will run for the hills! The other 5% dies in seconds! If the suit is stolen to be reverse engineered the micro-universe battery will supercharge the suits force field and the micro-universe battery will open up and eject a miniature quasar and everything in 1000 feet will vaporize including Cosmo-Knights, gods, and alien intelligence.
7. Repair-nanite repair system: When the suit takes 15 or more mega-damage the repair system will repair 2d6 M.D.C. every minute until the suit is fully repaired using nearby objects. The suit needs to have at least 15 M.D.C. to start repairing.
Payload: Unlimited
8. Cost: 8 million in rare metals, gems or magic items. Black-market no availability.
9. Has all common features of CS “Dead boy” body armor.
HWalsh
Hero

Re: Help me finish my Sabertooth Bat-Folk Race.

Unread post by HWalsh »

Uh...

There are a number of problems if this is a serious idea. Most notable is the race's sheer unbelievable power level.
Molydeus
D-Bee

Unread post by Molydeus »

Wait, HWalsh, power levels are a concern in Rifts? ;)

But yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. This is a fine example of house-brewed power creep, where you come up with the bones of a good idea, but you drown it in a laundry list of powers and rules, and thereby strangle whatever potential the batsaber toothfolk or whatever had. It's like you see the steady power creep in the Rifts books, and you're trying to compete with that power creep with even more power creep, because you don't trust your idea is cool on its own -- it just has to be straight up better. But it's not like the Rifts writers aren't often guilty of this too.

You can't even bother coming up with a cool name for the race -- because, really, they refer to themselves as "sabertooth bat-folk"? -- but you give us this huge list of kewl powerz. That ain't great. I understand coming up with unique and cool sounding names for races/monsters can be hard. Just go to a fantasy/sci-fi name generator and keep hitting random names until something cool pops up. It takes very little effort, no one will know better, and help sell your creation as something other than a collection of superpowers. So I'm just going to refer to them as nuhnuhnuhnuh [Batrace!] from this point forward, until you suggest something better. :)

I'm fond of the general [Batrace!] concept, however. I think the high point of this creature is the ultrasonic and echolocation abilities. And you would expect to see that in a bat creature, but I still think it's a nice touch. Echolocation is more than just being able to "see" in the dark, you could do all sorts of cool things with it, some of which you listed. You might even come up with special psionic powers for [Batrace!] that "hook into" the echolocation, allowing them to use their ultrasonics to detect things they normally couldn't (supernaturally cloaked creatures, things beyond normal echolocation range, etc.). You can even have a power or spell focuses their ultrasonics into a sonic attack -- dolphins and some species of bats actually do this.

Mind, I'm recommending spells and psionic powers that [Batrace!] can learn; I'm not saying give them to them free of charge. Because the laundry list of psionic powers and spells and bonuses they get for those are already problematic. Walk those back or eliminate them completely. Give us a list of preferred spells and psionics powers for [Batrace!], say that these folks tend to like those powers for cultural or religious reasons. They might start with an extra handful of ISP, or you might shave a point or two off the costs for preferred spells/powers. Something subtle but useful. (Yes, "subtle" in Rifts can work.)

A whole lot of sentences have exclamation points! They're all over the place! Even where an exclamation point isn't really warranted there are exclamation points! And you know, what comes to mind are poorly written comic books and coloring books! That's why [Batrace!] gets its own exclamation point! This is more a style issues and content issue, but overuse of this sort of punctuation has the opposite intended effect. Exclamation points are best used in moderation, when you want to send a sentence to stand out. If you use a lot of them, no sentence in particular stands out.

Also, I imagine you created those neat new toys for your little darlings, but you don't want other people getting those toys, so they self-destruct and fry people's pain centers and stuff, am I right? This is the wrong approach, I think. You can simply say that while the [Batrace!] are generally humanoid, their physiology is unique enough that their armor and weapons have to be refitted so that other creatures can use them. And this typically ruins those items or reduces their effectiveness. Simple. Direct. And it keeps your race's toys from falling into the hands of less cool people without screaming "special snowflake!".

I think that you have the vague outline of a cool idea, and there are gems hidden here and there, like the echolocation and the little cultural bits. Those are neato. However, it's buried under all this munchkin crap that's just not necessary. It would be a shame if people couldn't see the good here because they're overwhelmed with all the power creep, huh? My strong recommendation is to give [Batrace!] a d4mn name already, give them high ratings in two or three attributes but not be better in everything, pick two or three characteristics central to the concept for the race and jettison the rest. Because as they're written right now, were I to run a Rifts game with the Palladium system*, I wouldn't let [Batrace!] near my game if a player came to me with it. Even if it was in print in a book somewhere.

* I'm much more of a Savage Rifts kind of guy. And with your blessing Kit, I might adapt these creatures (or something like them) to that rules system. Needless to say, I would tone them way the h3ll down.
"Just an observation: the thread that was created in order to keep another thread from being dragged off topic has now been dragged off topic." --Knight/flatline
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Molydeus wrote:Wait, HWalsh, power levels are a concern in Rifts? ;)

Individual power levels? Not really. Racial power levels? Oh yeah.

The rule of Rifts is:
"The bad guys (the CS, the Spluggorth, the Demons) are always more powerful (by far) than their good counterparts."

This is a race, as stated, that would drive out the Spluggorth in 3 days.

It is also a secret race that is secretly the most powerful thing in the Mega verse that has secretly colonized a huge percentage of the galaxies.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Right off the bat(man), the Neural Laser's WAAAYYYYY overpowered.....especially for a technological device...'Destroy anything with a mind'? That's into unplayable overkill territory...even with 'negative light' as a McGuffin. To begin with, on that one point, I'd start to load the 'negative light' with all sorts of drawbacks...like it only affecting objects in the way regular light might...surface damage, reflected by mirrors(or, if you're going the 'opposites' path....defeated by somebody doing something as simple as standing in shadows, or in very bright lights), etc. And affecting machine AIs? No.

Micromissiles with a 10 mile range? Okay, I'd buy super-advanced technology making that sort of range possible; Sci-Fi's full of tiny maximum efficiency propulsion systems. Damage isn't too overboard.

2d6x10 MD foot claws? I don't think RHODAN does that much damage on a talon rake. Lower it.

Perfect Stealth? Nope. Intangibility I can buy. Phasefields I can buy...they all have SOME sort of explanation and limitations on them. God-proof stealth? As a GM I'd create a God of Secrets generously bestowing See the Invisible(Superior) to its followers just to defeat this sort of thing.

Mach 3 for a stealth suit? Okay, that would be rather much. Maybe in a passive orbit to surface dive, but anything beyond the local gravitational constant and you're no longer stealthy; you're going to attract oodles of attention from attentive sensor operators who will wonder what's making a powered dive at their territory. Stealth tends to be low-key...if you're breaking the sound barrier, negate stealth bonuses, or start using active jamming(and risk getting HARMed by radiation-seekers).

Overall, I'd agree with the others' sentiments...this reads less like a playable species and more like a hypothetical megaversal boogieman.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Molydeus
D-Bee

HWalsh wrote:This is a race, as stated, that would drive out the Spluggorth in 3 days.

The remaining Spluggorth flee to the far corners of the universe, or pimp themselves out to [Batrace!] in hopes they will be useful enough to not be utterly destroyed. Mewling, sycophantic entities of eternal evil and unimaginable power running bakery shops, walking dogs, and working street corners bedecked in literal gallons of garish makeup. Tell me you don't want a Rifts just like that.

It is also a secret race that is secretly the most powerful thing in the Mega verse that has secretly colonized a huge percentage of the galaxies.

Well, that makes total sense when you consider...

taalismn wrote:the Neural Laser's [...] 'Destroy anything with a mind'?
Micromissiles with a 10 mile range?
2d6x10 MD foot claws?
Perfect Stealth?
Mach 3 for a stealth suit?

That's the thing about [Batrace!], they're everywhere and nobody knows. SpiritKitsune7 states [Batrace!] has colonized 40% of 36 galaxies, and are thinking of colonizing earth... but the thing is, it's likely they already control earth and no one knows they're there. A galactic civilization that is all terrified rumor and smoke. Because perfect stealth and all. Paranoia isn't a mental illness, it's actually a subconscious psionic awareness that there are hidden [Batrace!] all around us that no one can see or defend against because they are invisible and so awesome. That dude on the corner wearing the tinfoil hat and rags, ranting about the apocalypse and entities no one else can see? He's actually the one with a clue, man!

And if you do find out about [Batrace!]... well, the first rule of [Batrace!] is no one talks about [Batrace!], or even thinks about [Batrace!]. For if any discover the secret of [Batrace!]'s existence, they zoom there at Mach 3, decloak, and then kill you in any number of horrible ways before cloaking again. And there is no sonic boom because perfect stealth. Thus, the secret of [Batrace!]'s existence and total dominance is maintained.
"Just an observation: the thread that was created in order to keep another thread from being dragged off topic has now been dragged off topic." --Knight/flatline
taalismn
Priest

Why even BOTHER with ranged weapons if you got Mach 3 perfect stealth and melee damage that Godzilla would admire? I'd think a people descended from winged predators(I doubt their ancestral line was fruitbats, though I haven't ruled out moonbats) would prefer the close kill?
Maybe they got tired of the Atomic Moth People(now extinct) dead-man blowing up in their faces and vaporizing them every time they did that?

But seriously, a species' powers and technology has a profound effect on how they interact with the rest with the rest of the megaeverse. If you got high-end weaponry, odds are you're more prone to slip up and show your hand more often, and not particularly care about supreme secrecy. If you're stealthy ALL the time, odds are, because you HAVE TO BE, because you've got some glaring physical problem(allergic to salt, or you taste really good) that means that you can get easily wasted by all your enemies, or you've gotta mental problem that you are ABSOLUTELY paranoid or predisposed towards stealth ALL THE TIME and woe be to whatever member of your species shows as much as a whisker in public!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

How is this and do I need to change anything?

Rifts Race Panis Umbra
Panis Umbra look like very human-like bats with huge muscles, bat fur, ears, wings, face, and tail with saber tooth cat fangs. Panis Umbra average height is 6 to 7 feet tall. They are strong, intelligent, cunning, and stunningly beautiful. They have psionic ultrasonic sonar and they are carnivores. They are master spies, and they have colonized 40% of 36 galaxies and have recently discovered rifts earth and have plans to save earth. They tend to have good or unprincipled alignments and defend the little guys if the cause is good. They make some of the best spy gear in the metaverse. 40% of their race is Psi-Ghosts with the intangibility power. The rest are mystic ninjas, rift runners or O.C.C.’s with both psionics and magic! They love stealth-based abilities, powers, and items. Panis Umbra does tend to have their fangs carved with elaborate carvings and filled with rare metals. Sabertooth Bat-folk women tend to wear decretive anklets that hold up their dresses when the hang upside down for modesty reasons. And they tend to hang upside down while sleeping and they never have health problems from hanging upside down. Some Panis Umbra love assassinating evil beings. Panis Umbra do not see stealing as evil as long as return the item in 7 days in the same condition or better with a small gift and the item cannot cost over 10,000 credits. It’s a game to increase their skills with. Panis Umbra are minor supernatural hulanoids.

Racial Stats
Alignment: Good or Unprincipled
Attributes: I.Q.: 3d6, M.E.: 4d6, M.A.: 3d6, P.S.: 4d6 (Supernatural), P.P.: 3d6, P.E.: 3d6, P.B.: 4d6. Speed: 3d6. Flying speed 50 mph, with a 5000 feet height ceiling (Psionic with the use of wings). Panis Umbra has a climb speed of 6 miles per hour.
M.D.C. 40+P.E., add 10 M.D.C. per level plus skills.
Awe Factor: 8
P.P.E.: add 15 P.P.E. to your starting O.C.C. Plus Panis Umbra can learn the spells Time Warp: Send, and Dimensional pockets. Rifts World Book 3 England page 83.
I.S.P.: add 25 I.S.P. to your starting O.C.C. Panis Umbra can take the Psi-Slayers Locate & Track Mark super psionic power at 3rd level or later, but you need to take it as a O.O.C. super psionic power you get from leveling. World book 12 Psyscape page 72.
Advanced Ultrasonic Contents Detection: (similar to the Ultrasonic Contents Detection power on page 79 in After the Bomb Rifts book) Using high-pitched sound, the character can probe the contents of barrels, boxes, and other containers, and determine their basic contents from the distance of up to 70 feet. The character will be able to automatically tell if the container is empty, totally full, or anything in between, and whether the contents are solid, liquid, gaseous, vacuum, flammable, explosive or volatile. If there is a liquid in an airtight container, like an oil barrel or shipping drum, the character also tells if it is water or something heavier like crude oil or milk, but not what the exact item is or its chemical formula. The character can also use this ability to probe smooth walls up to 1 foot thick in buildings, with a 35% +3% per level of experience chance of figuring out the thickness of the wall, and even get a “sense” of what is beyond the wall. Again, this is a vague idea, so the character can tell how full the room on the other side of the wall is, which might indicate its use. Empty is, well, empty, probably uninhabited. Larger scattered shapes inside probably indicate furniture, while a full room may indicate storage (i.e. filled with crates or boxes). The character can also tell if the room beyond the wall is full of water, air, or vacuum. People are only recognizable if they are actively moving around or whispering. The character can target a person with a mega damage ranged weapon or a long enough mega damage melee blade through a wall with a -3 called shot modifier. Your character can sense dimensional anomalies within 70 feet.
Natural Abilities: Night vision 2000 feet and you have bio-regeneration 2d6 M.D.C. per day. Immunity to most supernatural detection powers and spell except Locate & track mark power and the wish spell. Dog boys and Psi-stalkers need to track them the old fashioned way.
Racial skills: All saber tooth bat-folk’s start with prowl, pick locks, pickpocket, palming, seduction and climb skills at 40% before the I.Q., O.C.C., and other starting benefits are added.
Attacks: Bite 1d6 M.D.C./Power Bite 3d6 M.D.C.
Super Psionic Power
The audience is now deaf!
Range: 30 feet
Saving Throw: Standard; if a character saves against this they lose their hearing for only 1 round (15 seconds), they do not lose their actions, a successful save does not negate damage.
I.S.P. cost: 20
Duration: instant
Effect: You character screams a powerful high pitched sound that shatters all S.D.C. glasslike objects. All targets in a 30 foot area in front of your character take 3d6 M.D.C. and end up deaf for 2d4 melees. All electronic audio recording devices that are turned on are fried. Your targets loses all actions and can only cover their ears.

Super Echolocation
Range: Self
I.S.P. cost: 25
Duration: 5 minutes plus 1 minute per level of experience.
Effect: Your character can create a visual mental image in your mind with perfect accuracy. Your character knows where everything is and what species of all creatures that you sense. Your character can mentally see around corners and through anything. Your character will see all anomalies and through every stealth ability. This power has the range of 1 mile.
Last edited by SpiritKitsune7 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
taalismn
Priest

I'd wanna know WHY they want to save Rifts Earth, and from who? Do they see it as strategic territory they can use to expand their secret colonies? Do they just hate/fear a particular species on Earth(like Splugorth? Vampire Intelligences?...Can they be turned into vampires?). Or maybe the Infernals? Or maybe save the Earth from those pesky humans who have been infesting it for so long. messing everything up?
O'm just naturally suspicious of anybody with high stats, lots of power, stunningly beautiful, who wants to ' save the Earth'....There's lots of leeway for a 'to serve man' situation there.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Permanent deafness is far too much. Especially without a saving throw. That needs to be changed.
Molydeus
D-Bee

I think the new version is much better, Kit. :) It's nice that you gave them a name. I think the permanent deafness effect is a bit much too, though. And it's nice to have a peaceful race in the universe for once.

Thanks for listening to us. :)
taalismn
Priest

Indeed...chainsaw editing has made this species more believable/playable.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

The Audience is now Deaf! power has been edited. And is this armor ok for play? And should I make a sniper rifle that shoots energy shurikens similar to the Pume's from the aliens unlimited revised but with smaller shurikens?

Shadow Stalker Skin Suit
Manufactured by: Stealthy R’ Us. It’s a Panis Umbra based company.
Light M.D.C. Environmental Armor
Weight: 10 lbs
Mobility: Excellent, no penalties to climb, prowl, swim or perform any other physical activities.
M.D.C. by Location:
Head-from helmet 30
Arms- 25 each
Wings- 40 each
Legs- 40 each
Main Body- 50
The Shadow Stalker skin suit covers the entire body plus it has heating/cooling systems, air filtration systems, internal air supply and a slot that fits any personal Force Field generators up to medium. This suit is so comfortable it feels like your wearing nothing at all despite being a skin tight suit.
Special Feature: Thermal Reduction.
The space age fabric of the Shadow Stalker Skin Suit is specially designed to dissipate the wearer’s IR heat signature, making him more difficult to detect with thermal imagers and similar heat detection equipment. All attempts to detect the Shadow Stalker Skin Suit with thermal systems suffer a penalty of -20% to the Sensory Equipment Skill.
Cost 35,000 credits or 31,000 without wings. Panis Umbra can start out with this armor.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

SpiritKitsune7 wrote:The Audience is now Deaf! power has been edited. And is this armor ok for play? And should I make a sniper rifle that shoots energy shurikens similar to the Pume's from the aliens unlimited revised but with smaller shurikens?

Shadow Stalker Skin Suit
Manufactured by: Stealthy R’ Us. It’s a Panis Umbra based company.
Light M.D.C. Environmental Armor
Weight: 10 lbs
Mobility: Excellent, no penalties to climb, prowl, swim or perform any other physical activities.
M.D.C. by Location:
Head-from helmet 30
Arms- 25 each
Wings- 40 each
Legs- 40 each
Main Body- 50
The Shadow Stalker skin suit covers the entire body plus it has heating/cooling systems, air filtration systems, internal air supply and a slot that fits any personal Force Field generators up to medium. This suit is so comfortable it feels like your wearing nothing at all despite being a skin tight suit.
Special Feature: Thermal Reduction.
The space age fabric of the Shadow Stalker Skin Suit is specially designed to dissipate the wearer’s IR heat signature, making him more difficult to detect with thermal imagers and similar heat detection equipment. All attempts to detect the Shadow Stalker Skin Suit with thermal systems suffer a penalty of -20% to the Sensory Equipment Skill.
Cost 35,000 credits or 31,000 without wings. Panis Umbra can start out with this armor.

The Audience Is Now Deaf is still far too powerful. Here, let me offer my advice on it:

The audience is now deaf!
Saving Throw: Standard; if a character saves against this they lose their hearing for only 1 round (15 seconds), they do not lose their actions, a successful save does not negate damage.
Effect: You character screams a powerful high pitched sound that shatters all S.D.C. glasslike objects. All targets in a 30 foot area in front of your character take 3d6 M.D.C. and end up deaf for 2d4 melees. All electronic audio recording devices that are turned on are fried. Your targets loses all actions and can only cover their ears.
SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

Molydeus wrote:Wait, HWalsh, power levels are a concern in Rifts? ;)

But yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. This is a fine example of house-brewed power creep, where you come up with the bones of a good idea, but you drown it in a laundry list of powers and rules, and thereby strangle whatever potential the batsaber toothfolk or whatever had. It's like you see the steady power creep in the Rifts books, and you're trying to compete with that power creep with even more power creep, because you don't trust your idea is cool on its own -- it just has to be straight up better. But it's not like the Rifts writers aren't often guilty of this too.

You can't even bother coming up with a cool name for the race -- because, really, they refer to themselves as "sabertooth bat-folk"? -- but you give us this huge list of kewl powerz. That ain't great. I understand coming up with unique and cool sounding names for races/monsters can be hard. Just go to a fantasy/sci-fi name generator and keep hitting random names until something cool pops up. It takes very little effort, no one will know better, and help sell your creation as something other than a collection of superpowers. So I'm just going to refer to them as nuhnuhnuhnuh [Batrace!] from this point forward, until you suggest something better. :)

I'm fond of the general [Batrace!] concept, however. I think the high point of this creature is the ultrasonic and echolocation abilities. And you would expect to see that in a bat creature, but I still think it's a nice touch. Echolocation is more than just being able to "see" in the dark, you could do all sorts of cool things with it, some of which you listed. You might even come up with special psionic powers for [Batrace!] that "hook into" the echolocation, allowing them to use their ultrasonics to detect things they normally couldn't (supernaturally cloaked creatures, things beyond normal echolocation range, etc.). You can even have a power or spell focuses their ultrasonics into a sonic attack -- dolphins and some species of bats actually do this.

Mind, I'm recommending spells and psionic powers that [Batrace!] can learn; I'm not saying give them to them free of charge. Because the laundry list of psionic powers and spells and bonuses they get for those are already problematic. Walk those back or eliminate them completely. Give us a list of preferred spells and psionics powers for [Batrace!], say that these folks tend to like those powers for cultural or religious reasons. They might start with an extra handful of ISP, or you might shave a point or two off the costs for preferred spells/powers. Something subtle but useful. (Yes, "subtle" in Rifts can work.)

A whole lot of sentences have exclamation points! They're all over the place! Even where an exclamation point isn't really warranted there are exclamation points! And you know, what comes to mind are poorly written comic books and coloring books! That's why [Batrace!] gets its own exclamation point! This is more a style issues and content issue, but overuse of this sort of punctuation has the opposite intended effect. Exclamation points are best used in moderation, when you want to send a sentence to stand out. If you use a lot of them, no sentence in particular stands out.

Also, I imagine you created those neat new toys for your little darlings, but you don't want other people getting those toys, so they self-destruct and fry people's pain centers and stuff, am I right? This is the wrong approach, I think. You can simply say that while the [Batrace!] are generally humanoid, their physiology is unique enough that their armor and weapons have to be refitted so that other creatures can use them. And this typically ruins those items or reduces their effectiveness. Simple. Direct. And it keeps your race's toys from falling into the hands of less cool people without screaming "special snowflake!".

I think that you have the vague outline of a cool idea, and there are gems hidden here and there, like the echolocation and the little cultural bits. Those are neato. However, it's buried under all this munchkin crap that's just not necessary. It would be a shame if people couldn't see the good here because they're overwhelmed with all the power creep, huh? My strong recommendation is to give [Batrace!] a d4mn name already, give them high ratings in two or three attributes but not be better in everything, pick two or three characteristics central to the concept for the race and jettison the rest. Because as they're written right now, were I to run a Rifts game with the Palladium system*, I wouldn't let [Batrace!] near my game if a player came to me with it. Even if it was in print in a book somewhere.

* I'm much more of a Savage Rifts kind of guy. And with your blessing Kit, I might adapt these creatures (or something like them) to that rules system. Needless to say, I would tone them way the h3ll down.

How would you custom make this race?
Molydeus
D-Bee

I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask. :) I do have enough familiarity with the Palladium system to see the problems that your race design has -- or had, you fixed those issues to my satisfaction. I certainly played enough of it back in the day. But despite that (or rather, because of it) the Palladium system isn't my favorite. I am a huge fan of the Rifts setting though, and my interest has been reinvigorated with the recent Savage Rifts Kickstarter. So I'm just here on the forum to discuss the setting and mine it for ideas.

And funny you should ask, your bat-race has inspired me to ponder a similar creature. I'm not sure you'd want to see it, being that it would be statted for Savage Worlds rather than Palladium. And it's not a direct conversion; it would be a creature inspired by yours, but with my own spin on it. But if you'd like to see it, I'll stat it up with Savage Rifts rules and post it. Heck, if nothing else, maybe you can mine the fluff for your own Paris Umbra or something. (I don't have RUE anymore, otherwise I would post a Palladium version as well.)
taalismn
Priest

HWalsh wrote:[The audience is now deaf!

Sonics, even psionic sonics, shouldn't affect electronic audio recorders...that would be more a property of an EM attack, and/or some form of electrokinesis.
Making this a psionic ability makes this tricky with regards to electronics, like cybernetic/bionic hearing.
I'd rather make this a biological ability, maybe linked to the being's PE(can perform a super-sonic attack times x the PE per hour) rather than try to make a compound attack with regards to electronics) if you want daily limitations...or simply base it off the sonic boom of the Glitterboy Boomgun for convenience, allow it to be done at the cost of 2 APMs(for taking a deep breath and tensing the vocal apparatus) and allow technological systems to go unscathed(except, maybe for bad audio feedback for systems not equipped with sound filtration).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Molydeus
D-Bee

Hey, SpiritKitsune7. Before you go all huh??? at this, let me share where I was coming from when I wrote it.

At first I intended to faithfully translate your [Batrace!]/Panis Umbra into Savage Rifts rules. But I found that I wasn't able to do that, even in its most toned-down form. The Palladium version of Rifts has the advantage that you can just make something at any power level, throw it in the mix, and it will find its own niche. In Savage Worlds, though, game balance is much more of a thing. One is constrained by the point economy of the race-building guidelines. In some ways this is a good thing, because it keeps the races reasonably balanced with one another. But it doesn't let you just go off-the-walls crazy with something. Once a race gets to a certain level of power, it becomes its own iconic framework, like the dragon hatchling.

And while I was trying to make the race, I ended up having to leave so much on The cutting-room floor that I was concerned about butchering your creation. As imbalanced and gonzo as it was it was, especially in its first incarnation, it was yours. And rather than disrespect the idea, I decided to take inspiration from it and create something entirely new: the Evaki. (Named for a South American Bakairi bat goddess.) I changed the name because... dude, let's be honest, no one will call it "Panis Umbra." We know what people will call it, though. :lol: So yeah.) This isn't my attempt to derail your thread, but show you what you inspired. :) As you'll see, quite a bit of the Panis Umbra remain in this new race. But I took substantial liberties.

For one, this bat-race can't fly. At least not under their own power, they need psionics or cybernetics to do that. I just wasn't able to fit it into the point economy, at least not if I wanted to give them the other cool things that they have. Second, I decided to base the Evaki off insectivorous bats instead of fruit bats, because I wanted to do something cool with echolocation, and insectivorous bats simply do echolocation better. And I lost the Sabre teeth, because really, that adaptation is suited for a specific feline predator that died out because that adaptation wasn't so great after all. (I know, fretting over biological realism is probably kind of dumb in a universe like Rifts. Consider it my concession to verisimilitude.) But I use this taste for creepy crawlies to tie the Evaki into the Rifts setting in an interesting way, at least I hope I did.

I certainly critiqued your work, and I was blunt about it, so feel free to have at my creation. Any of the rest of you are free to comment as well. I'm open to constructive feedback. Also, SpiritKitsune7, if you can private message me your actual name, I'd like to give you credit as inspiration. Or I could just mention you by your moniker here, whatever works. because I intend to use these guys in my Savage Rifts game and I need you guys to pick this sh1t to death before players get ahold of them.

(Except the in-jokes and the oblique references to a particular comics hero. Those are intentional. Those will stay.)

THE EVAKI

History & Current Affairs: The Evaki are a nocturnal race from a planet they call Bruzwaihn, a world much like Earth in climate. Like pre-rifts Earth, Bruzwaihn's ley lines were suppressed for eons, leading to a magically dead world. During this time, the Evaki developed high technology, including spacecraft, stealth systems and advanced weaponry. While a peaceful race, some of their interstellar neighbors were not, and the Evaki were highly motivated to develop technology that let them defend themselves -- these people had no plans to be conquered, enslaved or exterminated.

About a century-and-a-half ago in Earth years, a comet nearly hit Bruzwaihn, with the planet actually passing through the comet's tail. This happened during the dominant Evaki religion's most sacred holiday, the week when all those that have passed the year previous are mourned. The massive death count not only gave the Evaki many more people to mourn the year following -- as earthquakes and deadly weather wreaked havoc on the planet -- but the released psychic energy awakened the planet's dormant ley lines and flooded the world with magical energy... another parallel to Earth.

Despite the loss of millions upon millions of lives, and the destruction of much of Bruzwaihn's infrastructure, the Evaki were quick to bounce back. Communities and nations were generally not antagonistic towards one another, and were quick to unite and rebuild in the aftermath of their world's devastation. What the Evaki were less prepared for were the ley lines and rifts scarring their landscape. However, the Evaki race have latent psionic talent, and devoted psychics quickly mastered their powers. The weapons once intended to protect the planet from aliens were turned on interdimensional invaders, though Evaki offered refuge to peaceful peoples.

There was no technological Dark Age for the Evaki, so they retained their technological foundations through the cataclysm. As a result, they have technology that equals or in some cases surpasses that found on Earth, though in other cases Evaki tech lags behind. Despite their great strength, the Evaki prefer espionage and indirect fights, and their technology reflects this; hand-to-hand weapons and personal combat-based bionics are rare, while long-range firearms and stealth tech are highly developed.

Adventuring Evaki, like those that defend their world and those that go offworld, tend to fall into two types: techies (including cyborgs) and psychics. Rarely do the two mix, because of the effect that cybernetics have on psionics. Practitioners of magic are unheard of, not for inherent lack of potential, but because the Evaki had no surviving mystical traditions to draw upon when their ley lines reawakened. (Any that devote themselves to learning the path of the Ley Line Walker, or otherwise tap into the magical energies of Bruzwaihn, will command a significant advantage when they returned to their native world.)

Several rifts on Bruzwaihn lead to earth, and five small colonies have been established on earth. The Evaki are naturally gregarious, and at first they readily reached out to this new world's aliens. A few groups (those encountering the Coalition) were violently rebuked. However, other humans -- members of the Tomorrow Legion -- seemed receptive. This has made the Evaki cautious, and scout potential allies before formal contact. This approach plays to Evaki strengths.

Two colonies have reported back to Bruzwaihn with exiting news of a potential Earthen food source: Xiticix! While dangerous, this prey is apparently plentiful, and technologies are already being developed to fight and incapacitate these giant insects. The cooked and prepared flesh of Xiticix is considered a delicacy on Bruzwaihn. (Humans that braved a taste commented that Xit tastes quite a bit like crab.) For their part, natives of Earth are quite happy to let the Evaki hunt the bugs.

Appearance & Physiology: Evaki are batlike humanoids, standing slightly shorter than the human average. However, they weigh more, thick with muscle. They have a top-heavy and very muscular build, wide shoulders and long simian arms with massive four-digit hands; they had evolved from an arboreal winged species, and retain the strength for flight and climbing. Evaki legs are digitigrade and shorter than their arms, with prehensile feet with which they can manipulate items or hang upside down.

Evaki have large, leaf-like ears that can swivel 180 degrees, flat faces with fleshy flower-like noses, and large black eyes. Skin color varies by racial subtype, and is typically a dark shade of gray or dull brown, with some light gray and bone-white groups from Bruzwaihn's southern hemisphere. Evaki noses and ears can be any color, and have rosettes or stripes of this color adorning their skin; especially bright colors are considered a sign of beauty. A light, soft layer of fur covers much of the body, usually a shade darker or lighter shade of the Evaki's skin tone. While they may be off-putting to those that have a fear of bats or associate bats with vampires, many consider the Evaki a beautiful race.

Evaki are almost strictly insectivorous and hunt bugs of all sizes (including Xicitix lately!), but they supplement their diet with sugars from fresh flowering plants and pollen. They absolutely love honey, which makes them intoxicated if consumed in quantity.

All Evaki are born hermaphrodites, and "drift" toward one sex or the other at puberty, so there is usually roughly one breeding male to every three breeding females; this means women outnumber men significantly, and family units are typically fluid and polygamous as a matter of practicality. Some Evaki (about 15%) remain infertile hermaphrodites their entire lives; as a normal family life is impossible for them, they tend to pursue military and espionage careers. This is the only gender-based division in most Evaki societies. The Evaki find human gender politics bizarre.

Distinctive D-Bee: While humanoid, Evaki will never be mistaken for human due to their odd appearance, and have little hope of disguising themselves. Members of the species suffer a -4 Charisma penalty when dealing with Coalition soldiers, officials, and most citizens, and hostility often leads to violence with the slightest incident

Echolocation: Evaki have fine vision (equal to a human's), but rely as much on their natural sonar to navigate. This sense extends 600 feet (100”), or half that underwater. Echolocation eliminates any penalties from darkness or blindness. The Evaki can't use sonar to read, see colors, or otherwise detect purely visual information; glass and transparent material read as opaque to them. (However, their eyesight is just fine for these purposes, giving Evaki the best of both worlds.) Their remarkable sense of hearing otherwise gives them a +2 bonus to related Notice checks.

Evaki lose these advantages if deafened or overwhelmed with noise, such as from Ultrasonic Blast.

Equilibrium: Evaki have an amazing sense of balance and orientation, almost never becoming disoriented. They gain a +2 bonus to Climbing rolls, as well as any rolls dealing with balance or retaining one's footing. Those capable of flight (wearing Nightwings or implanted with Bionic Wings) gain a +1 bonus to Parry while flying and to any rolls involving aerial maneuvers.

Non-Standard Physiology: Armor purchase/repair is double cost. Evaki can’t use a Glitter Boy suit or other standard humanoid power armor, and suffer a −2 to operate a vehicle or its weapons not refitted for the race. Iconic Framework gear is custom-built. (Other races suffer the same problems when trying to use Evaki gear, such as the items detailed below. This has slowed adoption of Evaki technology on Earth thus far.)

Prehensile Feet: Evaki feet are as dexterous as their hands. An Evaki can "stand" on their hands and use their feet to wield weapons, use tools, and the like. This provides them with no advantage under most circumstances, since I have to balance themselves on two limbs to remain upright, though it might be "handy" to throw off opponents or if one's hands are rendered unusable.

Strong: Due to their large and muscular arms, Evaki start with d6 Strength. On top of this, they gain a +2 bonus to any Strength roll for purposes of maintaining their grip on anything they can comfortably hold. (Yes, this applies to their feet as well as their hands.)
---------

EDGES
These special edges are available only to Evaki. They would have limited use for any other creature, in any case, as they build on the natural echolocation capabilities of the race.

Parasonic Awareness
Requirements:
Seasoned, Notice d8, Arcane Background, (Psionics) d6, Echolocation.
The Evaki can use echolocation to detect spiritual entities and forces normally masked from sight or ultrasonics, such as ghosts and invisible creatures, with a Notice Raise.

Ultrasonic Blast
Requirements:
Novice, Vigor d6, Arcane Background (Psionics) d8, Echolocation, the blast power.
The Evaki can use a focused blast of ultrasonic sound, augmented by psionic energy, to stun her foes. This functions as the stun power. In addition to other effects, the victim is partially deafened and suffers a -2 to all hearing-based Notice rolls for a number of hours equal to the Evaki's casting die. The Evaki may only use this special form of stun once per hour without risking harm to her vocal chords.

(As with any act of violence, Evaki consider using Ultrasonic Blast to be uncouth unless the need is dire. However, using Ultrasonic Blast on another Evaki is considered a crime in any nation comparable with intentional maiming, and is likely to earn you a lifelong foe. This isn't unreasonable when one considers how much the race relies on their hearing.)

Improved Ultrasonic Blast
Requirements:
Seasoned, Arcane Background (Psionics) d10, Echolocation, Ultrasonic Blast, the blast power.
The character may use this form of the stun power at no ISP cost.

Ultrasonic Contents Detection
Requirements:
Novice, Echolocation.
The character can use echolocation to probe the contents of containers at a range of 60 ft (10"). He may determine its capacity, and if the contents are solid, liquid, or gaseous. He won't be able to tell what the exact item is or its chemical formula. The Evaki can also detect movement behind thin walls or other physical barriers up to six inches thick, if the material is the density of stone or less.
----------

ADVENTURING GEAR
The Evaki use versions of the utilitarian gear listed in The Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide, such as communicators, basic survival gear, and so forth. Further, they have developed their own weapons and armor. Some of these unique items are discussed below. Costs are given for these items, as well as for cybernetics, as the Evaki monetary equivalent; they would be extraordinarily expensive for non-Evaki, and likely useless as well. The costs are provided to ease Evaki character creation.

Bug Spray and Bug Bombs: An experimental weapon, the colloquially named Bug Spray gun is a nozzle connected to a lightly armored reservoir. The Bug Bomb releases this chemical in grenade form for fighting groups of enemies. These weapons spray a highly corrosive mist that causes chemical burns to any creature, but is specially designed to dissolve the chitinous exoskeletons of arthropods such as Xiticix and fire beetles; it inflicts Mega-Damage against such creatures. The chemical becomes inert quickly after exposure to air and/or tissue. These weapons' short range and inability to penetrate armor are their primary drawbacks, and wind can interfere with the range and directionality of the mist.

Spray: Range 5/10/20; damage 2d4 (MD vs insectoids); RoF 1; shots 5; wt 5; cost 18,000 credits (1000 credits per refill).

Bomb: Range 5/10/20, damage 3d4; RoF 1; .25 lbs, cost 750.
The Evaki primarily use Bug Spray and Bug Bombs against prey, but there are attempts by humans of the Tomorrow Legion (assisted by the Evaki) to mass-produce these chemicals on a military scale. So far these weapons are still in the design stage; the prohibitive cost of producing the chemical is the primary issue. (The Coalition would certainly have the resources and delivery systems to make greatest use of this chemical weapon, but as of yet no one has volunteered to share this news with them...)

Moon Killer: The Evaki prefer to settle their conflicts at a distance, and so a sizable majority of the guns they develop are sniper rifles. The somewhat overstated Moon Killer is one such example. (The gun's name is actually a reference to a Evaki demigod that, foiled by the light of Bruzwaihn's largest moon, is reputed to have shot it down with his magic bow.) The Moon Killer is a top-of-the-range UV laser sniper rifle, rarely seen outside the hands of military specialists and/or those fighting particularly dangerous foes. Aside from its accuracy, range and deadly output, the Moon Killer is also silent, and its beam isn't visible in the visible spectrum of most creatures. This gun has a low capacity, like most arms of Evaki design; to Evaki thinking, if you have to fire a gun this deadly more than a few times, then you should are there practice your Marksmanship or reconsider your approach to conflict. Range 40/80/180; damage 3d6; RoF 1; AP 2; shots 10; 7 lbs; 65,000 credits. Integrated scope offsets two points of Range and/or Darkness penalties.

Neural Blaster: Evaki prefer to incapacitate rather than kill. Due to the Neural Blaster's short range, wielders tend to use this weapon from ambush. Range 10/20/40; damage 1d6+1; RoF 1; shots 3; wt 2; victim rolls Vigor, failure = Incapacitated; roll Vigor 1/round to revive to Shaken.

Nightwing: The Evaki evolved from winged animals, and this device helps them reclaim their ancestors' aerial birthright. The design is simple: two draconian wings attached to a thruster pack, made from a resilient light polymer. The wings can be folded away when not in use, and have underwing handles to grip and steer with when more flight maneuverability is needed. The Nightwing has the same statistics as the Triax T-100 Eagle (The Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide, pg. 106), though this item is lighter and (for Evaki) cheaper; Evaki flight technology is more advanced and can be produced with less expense.

When using the Nightwing without its thrusters, the wearer can glide silently. This is useful for reconnaissance missions, when the sounds of thrusters would give the wearer away. This reduces the wearer's flight Pace to 12". (25 lbs; 250,000 credits)

Shadow Stalker Armor: This military grade armor is issued to Shadow Stalkers, Evaki special forces like the Green Berets or SEALs of the 21st Century; it would be unusual for someone without some connection to that order to have this armor. The Evaki don't wear armor heavier than this, as they value their dexterity and don't wish to become high-profile targets. It comes with a sealed system and flight capability, as well as slots for packs and weapons. The suit's design incorporate slots and straps for items common to Evaki, and distributes their weight carefully to avoid encumbrance. +5 Armor, +1 Toughness, Full Environment Protection, Flight Pace 24/Climb 2. It has a Strength Minimum of d8. Weapons and items of Evaki design currently strapped to the suit only count for a third of their weight. (45 lbs; 151,000 credits.)

Umbra Suit: The most common Evaki body armor, issued to their military and law enforcement. It's light and offers strong protection, it has slots for Nightwing jet packs (which don't come standard with a suit). The suit's charcoal gray material refracts both light and sound, foiling both visual and echolocation-based identification as long as the wearer remains still. +3 Armor, +1 Toughness, Full Environment Protection, +2 to Stealth when hiding. It has a Strength Minimum of d6. (18 lbs; 42,000 credits)
----------

CYBERNETICS & BIONICS
The Evaki developed cybernetic technology about 500 years ago, and have been refining it ever since. In many ways, they are more comfortable with cybernetics and bionic augmentation than humans are. Bionics are seen as a means to upgrade an individual, in practice no different from training to increase physical strength or learning a new skill. It's not altogether unusual for "common" Evaki to have cybernetic prosthetics to replace damaged limbs, or minor vocational bionics.

The Evaki have most of the cybernetics and bionics listed in The Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide (starting pg. 100), with a few advancements unique to them. Most Evaki cybernetics and bionics aren't metal, but are composed of polymers, carbon nanotubes and other synthetics, making them lighter and less obtrusive than metal parts. Subtlety seems to be hardwired into the Evaki mindset, and most cyborgs will choose unobtrusive upgrades to garish ones. Many will have cloned or artificial flesh and fur grafted over their upgrades.
One area of cybernetic technology where Evaki lag behind are analogues to Crazies, Juicers, and full conversion cyborgs. These horrify them, because they consider sacrificing one's life and identity as a living creature for power unthinkable. No sane Evaki will get these sorts of upgrades, and will likely be at least somewhat uncomfortable around aliens that have.

Bionic Wings: The Evaki evolved from large bats millions of years ago. The musculature, equilibrium and reflexes of their ancient ancestors are all there, allowing an Evaki to glide as gracefully their ancestors... at least, once carbyne-polymer fusion wings are attached to the bionically-augmented bone and muscle of his arms and back. Many such cyborgs have their wings fashioned to make them as lifelike as possible, with flesh texture and synthetic fur, even though they're not fooling anyone; as Evaki, they don't want to risk being seen as gauche. The character can fly at twice his ground Pace, and his Strength increases by one die type. Strain 1; 245,000 credits.

Internal Gyroscope: These tiny devices are carefully implanted in the Evaki's inner ear, and amplify her already remarkable equilibrium. Increase all bonuses associated with the Equilibrium racial ability by an additional +1. Strain 1; 55,000 credits.

Sonic Amplifier: This upgrade implants resonating speakers in Evaki's throat and upper chest, allowing her to stun foes with an ultrasonic attack. This creates the exact same effect as the Ultrasonic Blast and Improved Ultrasonic Blast Edges, except the effect uses the cyborg's Shooting skill as the replacement for the Arcane Background (Psionics) skill roll. Strain 1; 89,000 credits.
Last edited by Molydeus on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Molydeus
D-Bee

"These humans of the Tomorrow Legion, I feel they are trustworthy and I respect them. Except for this one human by the name of Steven.

"He once said that I should intimidate my foes in battle, for that is the surest path to victory. He says that I should tell my enemies, in this peculiar voice and accent, 'I vant to thuck your blud, bluh-bluh'. I told him I would not, threats of exsanguination are barbaric.

"He also recommended I should tell my enemies that 'I am vengeance, I am the night'. That I should use tools from my utility belt and use a bat-vehicle, and that when he summons me with some sort of signal, I should vacate the my 'bat cave' and heed his call.

"I do not understand these references, but I do understand he is mocking me. Killing him would reflect poorly on my people, and it is not my way. I have other things in mind for him."

Return to “Rifts®”