Best no magic (initially) Bow...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Best no magic (initially) Bow...

Unread post by tsh77769 »

Similar to my Sword thread...

I want to see (initially) what can be done without magic.

In Aliens Unlimited check out the SC Penetrator III. It's an advanced modern compound bow that does 4D6 and has a 1,000' base range. LOVE IT. Both the damage and range are great.

However, in PFRPG Western Empire Bows by Gabriel are awesome because they provide something I have not seen before, an extra attack!! In Eastern Territories check out Everall Bows. Increased base range and a strike bonus.

He also has sweet arrows too but let's stay focused on the bow itself not the arrows.

I know the Scathac Druid of England builds a nice Pine Bow that has a strike bonus.

The Steel Tree bow from Dinosaur Swamp is great. However, If we are going to use the dance of blessing weapons (Africa) or the pattern of wounding (S. Am 2) which I don't recall if it can even be applied to a bow. (just not sure right now), I'd rather use something that has strike bonuses not penalties!!

What else is out there?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Best no magic (initially) Bow...

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

There is a psychic generated bow in SA2 from a centuar-mutant R.C.C, decent bonus to strike (on top of skills), can potentially give a good return on ISP investment (since it allows multiple shots), is a MD attack (with a minor increase per level), range is a bit weak but does increase with level. Main downside is it is a racial power. This isn't technically magic that you want to avoid initially on the bow.

3 of the next 4 require a SN level PS, so depending on the user might require magic to use (if they lack a SN PS ability or equivalent):
-SA2 also has the Larhold bows. Pg186 (weapons for OCC) Larhold Composite Bow, damage for the arrow is based on SN PS HTH damage with a bonus, a bit short on range compared to a modern weapon (800ft).
-SA2 Pg 190 has another Larhold bow example that is also based on SN PS HTH with a smaller bonus and a higher PS requirement, but is mostly identical to the earlier one.
-Spirit West introduces the NA-LB1 laser bow (it's a bow that shoots MD laser bolts, it utilizes the bow skills), and has 1000ft range (payload is effectively 500 pulls), normal PS requirement IINM (though it might be better if it was a higher PS grade)
-Spirit West also has the NA-SW4 Bow, 1500ft range and provides bonus damage to SDC arrows. SN PS requirement (or a high normal PS)

You can take Archery Skill and combine it with Sharpshooting (the Tattoo using Archer in Splyn Market has this skill), and the separate Targeting Skill that will beef up Archery.

Stepping away from bows themselves for supplemental equipment you have scopes (which can be combined with goggles or helmets per WB5) or cybernetics (like the Targeting cross hairs that apply to any ranged weapon)
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

its not an "official" item but I have a char that has a GM allowed custom compound bow made for her strength... Since she has a supernatural 60PS it has about a 3ton draw and she CANNOT use "normal" arrows in it as they will shatter/explode on release
she normally carries a few arrows designed specifically for fighting supernatural creatures, with DU heads, and cold iron shafts (yes those arrows weigh about 5-10lbs each)
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

If you are okay pulling from other systems as it sounds like you are Splicers is a good choice they have a nice bio organic bow that has an assortment of arrow times some do pure damage some do things like inorganic acic, tracers and various other specialty rounds. Some of the few non magic/non psi non energy non vibro bows available that do serious damage.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

My question is, if you hate magic, then why are you referencing a ritual/spell from SA2? SA2 is one of most universally accepted broken and insta-banned books as it is.

Alternatively, if you're an SDC creature, you don't add your Str bonus to MD damage (which is what these weapons do) and, as of RUE you don't add SN PS to melee damage at all.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

after the bomb has some SDC bows you might be interested in.

Return to “Rifts®”