Savage Rifts GM Handbook and maps!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Savage Rifts GM Handbook and maps!

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Just checked my email and saw the GM Handbook and maps have been added for Savage Rifts. More stuff for me to try and read through; I am still working through the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide. Glad I sprung for the GM level on the Kickstarter. I have done a really quick skim through the pdf and it looks like the first 3rd to half an abridged history bringing everything up to date post Siege on Tolkeen in NA and info on Castle Refuge as a part of the setting. There is a nice 2 page map of the continent that makes it easy to see where major nations and forces are located. The next major area is about running the game, themes within the game, encounter and so on. Looks like there is a lot of stuff to digest but the presentation is comparable to the player's guide and some really nice art. Layout looks nicely organized and well thought out. Now all I need is time to read!
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
kaid
Knight

Re: Savage Rifts GM Handbook and maps!

Unread post by kaid »

Yup just saw this in my mail this morning as well. That they are pretty much hitting the times they said they would is double plus I still want my physical dead tree copies most of all but very pleased having this stuff to look at now and also to help errata to make the physical edition as correct/complete as possible.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The map is very nice for north america but I really want to get it on its own as a printed map as the one in the book looks like a lot of the prime north america stuff is going to be dead on the fold of the pages so a bit hard to read maybe.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

kaid wrote:The map is very nice for north america but I really want to get it on its own as a printed map as the one in the book looks like a lot of the prime north america stuff is going to be dead on the fold of the pages so a bit hard to read maybe.

That's the nice thing about the digital format, you can read it without things getting lost in the middle. Or you could take your PDF to your local print shop to have them print out the map.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Once I get my order it should be coming with the print map of it so I am pretty set. One thing I noticed though on the map is the placement of the tomorrow legion base at least makes a bit more sense than the initial write up. It is really close to kingsdale and it is to the west of kingsdale so in theory if the CS went on the war path kingsdale would likely be forced to jump in and react as they are a similar mix of magic/tech stuff.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Nice to see this stuff is out. I am not really happy with the randomness of it. Im supposed to write my adventure not roll some dice and send people to dune or something. The Info is cool I guess for someone not as versed in rifts lore as me.

How long till we get the savage foes book and when do the paper copies mail out?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Riftmaker wrote: How long till we get the savage foes book and when do the paper copies mail out?
Savage Foes should be soon.
Physical copies: during the Kickstarter they repeatedly said not until sometime around November.

Backerkits will probably be sent out around October.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

Riftmaker wrote:Nice to see this stuff is out. I am not really happy with the randomness of it. Im supposed to write my adventure not roll some dice and send people to dune or something.

The adventure generators are an optional tool for GMs who just want to roll some dice, get some inspiration, and go. Nothing stops you from making your own adventures, and they're not required to be used at all. But they are a very valuable tool for novice GMs or GMs without a lot of time to build an adventure. Personally, I think random adventure generators are a godsend, if only because every GM has had a week where they got so busy that they didn't have time to put anything together until an hour before the game started.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

blackwingedheaven wrote:
Riftmaker wrote:Nice to see this stuff is out. I am not really happy with the randomness of it. Im supposed to write my adventure not roll some dice and send people to dune or something.

The adventure generators are an optional tool for GMs who just want to roll some dice, get some inspiration, and go. Nothing stops you from making your own adventures, and they're not required to be used at all. But they are a very valuable tool for novice GMs or GMs without a lot of time to build an adventure. Personally, I think random adventure generators are a godsend, if only because every GM has had a week where they got so busy that they didn't have time to put anything together until an hour before the game started.

Random adventure and encounter tables are a staple of RPG's going way back, so this is nothing new. I get the impression the Savage system folks are all about telling a good story and less about random encounters, other than as a tool to make things exciting or fill the gaps a GM may have.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Yup they are mostly handy for quickly w hipping something up when the players get some weird hair up their rear ends to head some place very random and unplanned. Lets you quickly make some side trip excursions on the fly as needed pretty standard RPG stuff.
Molydeus
D-Bee

Unread post by Molydeus »

kaid wrote:Yup just saw this in my mail this morning as well. That they are pretty much hitting the times they said they would is double plus

What a novel idea! Publish Mechanoids Spacestuff when you say you're going to publish it! :lol:

Seriously though, I am looking forward to Savage Foes of North America like no one's business. Normally I like hardcopy, I like the feel of books and dice in my hands when I do TT. Some old-school traditionalist part of me kind of balks at the idea, but I might well make an exception for Savage Rifts and run it when SFoNM drops, if the physical books aren't going to be available until October or November. That's a long time to wait.

Also looking forward to the Coalition Field Manual. I like the idea of running a gone-rogue Coalition soldier game at some point.
"Just an observation: the thread that was created in order to keep another thread from being dragged off topic has now been dragged off topic." --Knight/flatline
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Plus side if you buy the books through them it looks like you get the .pdfs automatically anyway so nice to have the .pdfs to thumb through and read and errata so the print copy can avoid a lot of the weird lil oddities that always happen when dealing with this sort of technical writing such as the glitter boys baked in + 6 toughness got missed which was one reason some folks found the GB to be a bit of a glass cannon.

Return to “Rifts®”