Power Armor Knockdown

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Power Armor Knockdown

Unread post by Bill »

RUE, p.346, indicates that a M.D. vehicle or monster that body blocks another M.D. vehicle or monster has a base chance of 60% to knock the target down with the attack. Page 344 indicates that there is a +5% bonus to knockdown per five P.S. over 20. Would that mean that a Glitter Boy suit (P.S. 40), which does not indicate any specific knockdown chance for its body block, would have an 80% of knocking down a target?
kaid
Knight

Re: Power Armor Knockdown

Unread post by kaid »

Seems right. Really body blocking for something as powerful and dense as a glitterboy should be pretty effective.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The text on page 346 of RUE says that it is modified by any text within the PA or Bot or SN being text.

Both of the combat PA skills (basic and elite) set the Body Block KD % at 1-50%.n (bots @ 1-60%) This supersedes the basic h2h combat text.
(note: since a running body block is listed elsewhere in the CPAEs that is something different, and are different from each other based on the size of the PA or bot.)
Both the PA and Bot combat skills do have text taking in account for targets smaller then themselves.

The texts are not the same cause they are talking about different things.

Where the text on page 344 is applicable is not spelled out, so I would rule that it is only applicable to h2h between human sized beings because it reads that it is meant be applied only there. And that the PA/Bot Combat skills have been already been said to supersede the basic combat texts.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Makes sense that a ram from a heavy power armor 1000lbs or more and definitely a robot should have a high chance of knockdown.
Even if not enough to outright kill a person in body armor, a shoulder check from a Glitterboy should send a Grunt flying.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I don't see any human sized thing that is not a combat borg staying on their feet if even light power armor body checks them let alone getting the shoulder from a glitterboy.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Uh, for real, but it's also a question of mass vs mass. For what it is a GB isn't actually that dense. Matter of fact, most PA have the disability of having a much lighter, fleshy core.

In any case, 1000lbs at 40+mph is enough to deal with a few people, sure...but what about another power armor?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Alrik Vas wrote:In any case, 1000lbs at 40+mph is enough to deal with a few people, sure...but what about another power armor?

By the RAW, the attacker gains +1D6M.D. to the ramming attack per 30mph. Beyond that, the knock down chance stands as based on the attacking suit's description or the default of 60% and a bonus based on the suit's strength, if you choose to apply that portion of the rules; which may not be appropriate based on Drew's interpretation. There could be a secondary knock down check if you're using the optional knock down tables from CB1R, and more than 30 M.D. are inflicted. Mass isn't considered under either check though, beyond more massive things typically doing more damage, being stronger, and possibly having a bonus to their knock down attacks.

I agree that it's not a very dynamic or satisfying portion of the rules. On the other hand, it took me 20 years to really notice. How often can it come up?
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

From what I read it is two very different things. On pg 346 they are talking about Knockdown in reference to being hit or or rammed by another vehicle(ie two vehicles or PA's ramming into each other and sent flying (book says 30ft or more). Then you have the Body Block/Tackle maneuver on pg 344 which is what gives the base knockdown with increased chances based on high PS. (IE. Attacker declares using body block/tackle and succeeds.)

In the case of a GB Body Block/Tackling someone I would use the Knockdown percentage on pg 344 and boost it according to their PS (30 in the case of the GB) It also weighs 1.2 tons not 1000lbs. (pg 72 RUE)

Now if they are ramming some target, then use the rules on pg 346.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Marcethus wrote:From what I read it is two very different things. On pg 346 they are talking about Knockdown in reference to being hit or or rammed by another vehicle(ie two vehicles or PA's ramming into each other and sent flying (book says 30ft or more). Then you have the Body Block/Tackle maneuver on pg 344 which is what gives the base knockdown with increased chances based on high PS. (IE. Attacker declares using body block/tackle and succeeds.)

In the case of a GB Body Block/Tackling someone I would use the Knockdown percentage on pg 344 and boost it according to their PS (30 in the case of the GB) It also weighs 1.2 tons not 1000lbs. (pg 72 RUE)

A Glitterboy PA is doing a Body block or Ram attack uses the text from the PA combat Basic or PA combat Elite for what MD it does. And if the pilot is a Glitter Boy OCC…the you would use the MD listings on page 73.
Therefor you would ignore the text in the hand to hand combat section (pages 344 and 346) as directed by the text within the MD KD text on page 346.

Note that only those pilots that have Combat elite can do a running BB/R attack, As noted in the Combat elite listings of damages.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Marcethus wrote:From what I read it is two very different things. On pg 346 they are talking about Knockdown in reference to being hit or or rammed by another vehicle(ie two vehicles or PA's ramming into each other and sent flying (book says 30ft or more). Then you have the Body Block/Tackle maneuver on pg 344 which is what gives the base knockdown with increased chances based on high PS. (IE. Attacker declares using body block/tackle and succeeds.)

A Glitterboy PA is doing a Body block or Ram attack uses the text from the PA combat Basic or PA combat Elite for what MD it does. And if the pilot is a Glitter Boy OCC…the you would use the MD listings on page 73.
Therefor you would ignore the text in the hand to hand combat section (pages 344 and 346) as directed by the text within the MD KD text on page 346.

Note that only those pilots that have Combat elite can do a running BB/R attack, As noted in the Combat elite listings of damages.

At that point it comes down to GM's call. I see it as depending on the specific situation and whether the person is doing a Ram attack or a Body Block.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Bill wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:In any case, 1000lbs at 40+mph is enough to deal with a few people, sure...but what about another power armor?

By the RAW, the attacker gains +1D6M.D. to the ramming attack per 30mph. Beyond that, the knock down chance stands as based on the attacking suit's description or the default of 60% and a bonus based on the suit's strength, if you choose to apply that portion of the rules; which may not be appropriate based on Drew's interpretation. There could be a secondary knock down check if you're using the optional knock down tables from CB1R, and more than 30 M.D. are inflicted. Mass isn't considered under either check though, beyond more massive things typically doing more damage, being stronger, and possibly having a bonus to their knock down attacks.

I agree that it's not a very dynamic or satisfying portion of the rules. On the other hand, it took me 20 years to really notice. How often can it come up?

Knocking your opponent down causes a loss of action on your enemy's part. It comes up a lot in my games, so I came up with a different solution.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I just don't use power armor that often. Most of the folks I've played with think it looks cool, but would rather play something that isn't dependent on a machine for its powers. I'm going to make a point to throw more in the mix moving forward though, hence the review.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Bill wrote:I just don't use power armor that often. Most of the folks I've played with think it looks cool, but would rather play something that isn't dependent on a machine for its powers. I'm going to make a point to throw more in the mix moving forward though, hence the review.

This is actually great as part of the minion war. The demon plagues can do serious harm when they turn MD creatures into SD creatures.

Return to “Rifts®”