Hypothetical: What Do You Think Would Happen

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Hypothetical: What Do You Think Would Happen

Unread post by Shark_Force »

well sure, danged near everything is fiat-whateveritis from a metagame standpoint. the CS are fiat racists. dragons are fiat powerful creatures of magic. demons are fiat evil. that doesn't tell us anything.

(on a side note, while gems are used by technowizards, gold is not, and sure, technowizardry uses gems but it isn't like there are hordes of technowizards just hanging around all over the place).

(silver... apart from right next to the vampire kingdoms, i don't recall anywhere modifying the price. but yes, it is true that it is modified in those areas. i doubt the CS would value it particularly highly in any event - i rather suspect that there is no shortage of pointy sticks within the territory the CS claims, and pointy sticks are cheaper than silvered weapons).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Hypothetical: What Do You Think Would Happen

Unread post by eliakon »

Shark_Force wrote:well sure, danged near everything is fiat-whateveritis from a metagame standpoint. the CS are fiat racists. dragons are fiat powerful creatures of magic. demons are fiat evil. that doesn't tell us anything.

(on a side note, while gems are used by technowizards, gold is not, and sure, technowizardry uses gems but it isn't like there are hordes of technowizards just hanging around all over the place).

(silver... apart from right next to the vampire kingdoms, i don't recall anywhere modifying the price. but yes, it is true that it is modified in those areas. i doubt the CS would value it particularly highly in any event - i rather suspect that there is no shortage of pointy sticks within the territory the CS claims, and pointy sticks are cheaper than silvered weapons).

actually, gold is used by TWs. Several devices explicitly say that they use gold in them.
Not to mention that gold is a valuable material in high technology
To be honest... Gold has no intrinsic value in itself and to be brutally honest a gold based currency is still 'fiat' unless there is an explicit value assigned to that gold. Its just that thousands of years of social conditioning tell us that gold is inherently valuable.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®”