[Question] Centaur Wilderness Scout

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Banana Prince
D-Bee

[Question] Centaur Wilderness Scout

Unread post by Banana Prince »

I was planning on playing a centaur (with stats taken from Palladium) wilderness scout OCC.
I can roleplay one alright and I've balanced it out by excluding bonuses to parry, dodge, strike.

There are occassional complications though.
The biggest one being that I'm going to need MDC armor if I'm going to last. Is there any centaur armor? If so what are the stats. (If you're not allowed to post them - DON'T!)

If you have played or are playing a centaur DB, tell me: What complications gameplay-wise have you run into and how did they get resolved?
Also, what would I need to know or fix when I'm playing a Wilderness Scout Centaur?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: [Question] Centaur Wilderness Scout

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Centaur armor.. maybe check Rifts Canada, don't remember if the cyber-centaurs got an equipment section or not.

alternately, if the Gm allows, you could have a custom suit that uses the upepr body section of a suit of MDC human armor, connected to a set of MDC Horse barding (IIRC warlords of Russia has stats for such. maybe WB14: new west too.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Page 181 of New West has horse Barding that you could adapt for your needs.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Banana Prince
D-Bee

glitterboy2098 wrote:Centaur armor.. maybe check Rifts Canada, don't remember if the cyber-centaurs got an equipment section or not.

alternately, if the Gm allows, you could have a custom suit that uses the upepr body section of a suit of MDC human armor, connected to a set of MDC Horse barding (IIRC warlords of Russia has stats for such. maybe WB14: new west too.)

Would this Centaur/ Horse have similar properties to the Crusader Armor? (Answering Yes or No to questions shouldn't be against the rules. I just don't wanna have to buy books for 1 item for 1 character.)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

huh? i wasn't mentioning a specific armor.

having checked rifts canada, sadly the cyberhorsemen didn't have any MDC armor included in their section, just a few exotic weapons. :(

your best bet will likely be to go the Armor+barding route.

the WB14:new west "cavalry barding" is 30lbs, has a 90mdc main body, 18/25 for the legs (hind legs have more), and 50 for the head. non-enviromental. has slightly reduced speed (5%) if you use the leg armor.

the WB17: warlords of russia version is heavier. 100lbs, 140mdc main body, legs 40/60, head 100. same speed reduction. the downside of the WB17 set though is the AR of 18.. it isn't as effective in coverage evidently.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Banana Prince
D-Bee

glitterboy2098 wrote:huh? i wasn't mentioning a specific armor.

having checked rifts canada, sadly the cyberhorsemen didn't have any MDC armor included in their section, just a few exotic weapons. :(

the WB14:new west "cavalry barding" is 30lbs, has a 90mdc main body, 18/25 for the legs (hind legs have more), and 50 for the head. non-enviromental. has slightly reduced speed (5%) if you use the leg armor.

the WB17: warlords of russia version is heavier. 100lbs, 140mdc main body, legs 40/60, head 100. same speed reduction. the downside of the WB17 set though is the AR of 18.. it isn't as effective in coverage evidently.

I don't think you're allowed to post all that, but thanks. I think I can write it down and mod it a little.
Banana Prince
D-Bee

Is there anyhing I should keep in mind before I make a Wilderness Scout centaur?
Is there anything I should change for skills and equipment being of a different species?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Banana Prince wrote:Is there anyhing I should keep in mind before I make a Wilderness Scout centaur?
Is there anything I should change for skills and equipment being of a different species?

according to the conversion book, no. Cyber Knight is an allowable O.C.C. and in fact there's no reason to remove the bonuses to combat either. There is also no modification of equipment given either.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Banana Prince
D-Bee

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Banana Prince wrote:Is there anyhing I should keep in mind before I make a Wilderness Scout centaur?

according to the conversion book, no. Cyber Knight is an allowable O.C.C. and in fact there's no reason to remove the bonuses to combat either. There is also no modification of equipment given either.

I take away bonuses to Dodge and Parry because I could end up with a +6/8 when I finish and that can break combat. I keep the +4 damage though.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Banana Prince wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I take away bonuses to Dodge and Parry because I could end up with a +6/8 when I finish and that can break combat. I keep the +4 damage though.

*scratches his head quite confused as he sees no reason at all for those bonuses to break combat or anything else*
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Banana Prince wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

How would that break combat? +6-+8 is purely average. it's hard NOT to make a rifts character who won't wind up with that if you get any kind of decent PP roll. if you just happen to get 20, that's +3 strike parry dodge. Get Boxing and it's +5 parry/dodge, then by level 2 HtH martial arts you get +3 to both. Boom. +8 parry/dodge, and you didn't even try.

I get the feeling you are used to games WAY low on the power curve. :lol:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well there are a few more that I thought to check:
WB9 South America 2 (pg144-6) does have the genetically engineered "centaur" (Equinoid), under their equipment section they just mention custom barding at 90MDC (this is 1 location Body Armor Era)
WB2 Atlantis (pg141-3) has the Kittani Equestrian PA which could given an idea on proportions as far as protection goes (weight is another matter, even though this was the 1-location era for BA, PA was generally given breakdown)
WB2 Atlantis (pg138) has Centaur Body Armor at 130MDC (1-location era, not sure if a RUE-updated printing has updated the format) is 100lbs (-15% prowl, -10% to speed)

Banana Prince wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I have agree with Nekira and Nightmask, how does this break combat? A +6/8 isn't going to break combat in any way, and is probably "typical" depending on the skills selected and PP attribute roll and OCC focus. Don't forget there are penalties to put into place to.

As far as things to keep in mind, remember your size might prevent you from going to certain places, you can encounter prejudice, you are going to need to eat more, getting your body armor repaired is likely going to be more expensive as it likely will be a custom job
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Banana Prince wrote:I was planning on playing a centaur (with stats taken from Palladium) wilderness scout OCC.
I can roleplay one alright and I've balanced it out by excluding bonuses to parry, dodge, strike.

The biggest one being that I'm going to need MDC armor if I'm going to last. Is there any centaur armor? If so what are the stats. (If you're not allowed to post them - DON'T!)

IIRC, there is horse armor (barding) in one of the books, possibly the original VK.
That might be a good start, if you can't find official centaur armor.

As a GM, if nothing else, I'd allow customized armor to be purchased that had the same MDC as a standard human-type armor.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

ShadowLogan wrote:

Well there are a few more that I thought to check:
WB9 South America 2 (pg144-6) does have the genetically engineered "centaur" (Equinoid), under their equipment section they just mention custom barding at 90MDC (this is 1 location Body Armor Era)
WB2 Atlantis (pg141-3) has the Kittani Equestrian PA which could given an idea on proportions as far as protection goes (weight is another matter, even though this was the 1-location era for BA, PA was generally given breakdown)
WB2 Atlantis (pg138) has Centaur Body Armor at 130MDC (1-location era, not sure if a RUE-updated printing has updated the format) is 100lbs (-15% prowl, -10% to speed)

Banana Prince wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I have agree with Nekira and Nightmask, how does this break combat? A +6/8 isn't going to break combat in any way, and is probably "typical" depending on the skills selected and PP attribute roll and OCC focus. Don't forget there are penalties to put into place to.

As far as things to keep in mind, remember your size might prevent you from going to certain places, you can encounter prejudice, you are going to need to eat more, getting your body armor repaired is likely going to be more expensive as it likely will be a custom job

really a +6/8 in some of the campaigns I was in would be a joke (as in someone who is going to get hit, and killed very quickly, Now granted we were likely handling stacking bonuses wrong... but I had a char in the campaign that was only a little exceptional (for player chars) that had over 20 attacks/melee and bonuses in the 20's to strike parry and dodge. in fact I /we in order to tone the character down a little decided that a character cannot make more than 15 "actual" attacks per melee (note a double/multi attack counts as 1 attack for this purpose) so my char who (often) was firing a shemarrian railgun with 1 hand and a neruni plasma cartridge pistol with the other hand could fire both, as 1 action.

which makes things like a WOW naga or other creatures with multiple hands kind of evil/broken. "I quickdraw my 8 neruni plasma cartridge pistols and shoot him with all 8 as a simultaneous attack...."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Banana Prince wrote:I was planning on playing a centaur (with stats taken from Palladium) wilderness scout OCC.

If you have played or are playing a centaur DB, tell me: What complications gameplay-wise have you run into and how did they get resolved?
Also, what would I need to know or fix when I'm playing a Wilderness Scout Centaur?

Rifts canada I believe talks about barding for the female cybercentaurs. Also new west has barding and I think NG2 as well and probably easy enough to hodgepodge armor it up. Also more tribal centaurs have access to varients of the various native american OCC so armor fetish or something like them probably are available as well.

Return to “Rifts®”