Dat Savage Rifts North America Map, Tho...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Dat Savage Rifts North America Map, Tho...

Unread post by Hotrod »

I have to say, I'm intrigued by the map that's being made to go with the Kickstarter(work in progress is posted about halfway down) I've been hoping for a full-color, detailed treatment of North America for some time now. I'll be interested to see what details they choose to include.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Procopius
D-Bee
Comment: "He can neither read nor write and in him already there broods a taste for mindless violence."

Re: Dat Savage Rifts North America Map, Tho...

Unread post by Procopius »

Yeah, I upped my pledge the moment they mentioned it, but my hopes aren't super high based on the teaser image. I simultaneously desperately want a map with all ley lines while firmly thinking one should never be published. (I don't think this would have that.)
"Any life when viewed from the inside is simply a series of defeats."
-- George Orwell
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would like at least all the canon locations that have been firmly placed in existence. I.e. if it has been put on a canon map already, then there is no good reason not to put it on a master map either.

We don't need every ley line for instance. But those ley lines that have been officially put down as being in a specific location? Sure put them on a master map.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I think that they had said only the most powerful ley lines would be drawn and the GM would have some sort of mechanic to figure out if there is a lesser ley line near by.

After looking at the map, I had hoped that the Magic Zone would have been larger (or maybe it just seems to be larger to me).
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Everytime I see a Rifts map I'm struck by just how little attention has been paid to the west coast and Pacific Northwest over the years.

I bought a road atlas about five years ago and used the map that's been posted here plus whatever I could find in my books and drew the details in with sharpie. It's a handy way to have a snapshot map of the immediate area and then you can use the larger map as a big picture reference.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Dr Megaverse wrote:Everytime I see a Rifts map I'm struck by just how little attention has been paid to the west coast and Pacific Northwest over the years.

I bought a road atlas about five years ago and used the map that's been posted here plus whatever I could find in my books and drew the details in with sharpie. It's a handy way to have a snapshot map of the immediate area and then you can use the larger map as a big picture reference.

I sort of hope it continues to be ignored.

I like the idea of having a portion of the map that I can do my own stuff in that doesn't require me to spend weeks reshuffling every faction, race, and timeline in North America through fifty-sixty books to 'make room' for it.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Dr Megaverse wrote:Everytime I see a Rifts map I'm struck by just how little attention has been paid to the west coast and Pacific Northwest over the years.

The west coast specifically has been called out as a place no known info has come out of. The rockies or whatever mountains are there now are much taller and there is really no info about what lay beyond them. The spirit west and rifts canada cover about what is known of the west coast and thats mostly northern oregon/seattle/BC. Pretty much the entire part of cali is a great big ? and always has been I think by intention.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

kaid wrote:Pretty much the entire part of cali is a great big ? and always has been I think by intention.

The only thing I've ever seen Rifts mention about California is that the fault lines there all went up at once when the Yosemite super-volcano blew, and basically everything along the San Andreas was wiped off the face of the earth. So there's basically nothing out there from before the Rifts, as far as anyone knows.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

theres an old map in one of the TMNT books that shows halp of california gone, like fresno to sacramento is now the beach
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

blackwingedheaven wrote:
kaid wrote:Pretty much the entire part of cali is a great big ? and always has been I think by intention.

The only thing I've ever seen Rifts mention about California is that the fault lines there all went up at once when the Yosemite super-volcano blew, and basically everything along the San Andreas was wiped off the face of the earth. So there's basically nothing out there from before the Rifts, as far as anyone knows.

They talk a bit about it in a few places like aftermath I think and the spirit west book and a few off mentions of it most to the effect is nobody really knows whats going on there but the rumors are all pretty bad. Honestly given what happened after the cataclysm there is an open question is there even any california left to write about anyway.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

It shouldn't have had too much happen to it honestly.
Looking at the East Coast, Texas, Florida, Dinosaur Swamp, et multiple cetera... The idea that the East Coast should some how be the only place obliterated seems to be... odd.

I doubt that there is a major tech enclave there, since its pretty hard to hide that sort of thing (radio traffic for instance) But there are bound to be some communities, possibly of significant size.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Spirit West says that the west is mostly this undeveloped wilderness which the CS has little interest in invading and is saving it for after their Eastern expansion. It's about appealing as the frozen north or the sweltering south.

Return to “Rifts®”