Making Rifts® Savage: Mega Damage, Vampires, and Juicer Burn

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Making Rifts® Savage: Mega Damage, Vampires, and Juicer Burn

Unread post by dragonfett »

So Pinnacle released an article talking about some of the thought processes and such of making the game. I have to say that when I had first heard about the Juicer Burn, I wasn't too overly optimistic, but now I am.

Here's the link to the PDF for the article.

https://www.peginc.com/store/making-rifts-savage-mega-damage-vampires-and-juicer-burn/
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
FluidicAztec
Explorer

Re: Making Rifts® Savage: Mega Damage, Vampires, and Juicer

Unread post by FluidicAztec »

It's really interesting stuff...can't wait to see more. The whole 'burn' thing sounds super cool.

Question for the MODs: Why isn't there a discussion board for Savage World Rifts? Is it a proprietary thing?
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

I need to get more familiar with the Savage Worlds rules to gauge my feelings on the Juicer Burn.

As someone who normally struggles with usage of limited resources (I'm a hoarder at heart, I guess), I'm not a big fan of the idea. Especially for a resource which basically inevitably lads to character death, I can't imagine ever choosing to use burn unless the tradeoff is near-guaranteed salvation from near-certain death. Since I don't know the Savage World rules well, let alone exactly how the Juicer burn mechanics work, it's hard for me to decide how I feel about it.

That said, it is an interesting idea and quite fitting for the Juicer in concept, so Look forward to learning/seeing more about it.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

I like that juicer burn idea, letting the player choose how quick they burn the juicer out.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The idea that there is something that might cause the downside of the Juicer (short lifespan) to actually manifest in play is good.
I have seen dozens of juicers played in games... And baring a special sort of time skip I have never seen one die of last call out side of a couple characters rolled up for a JU game who started in LC.

Its a great narrative element of pathos and tragedy... But game wise it has almost next to zero impact on players so why bother. The idea that you might actually have a risk? Yeah double A plus.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

PigLickJF wrote:I need to get more familiar with the Savage Worlds rules to gauge my feelings on the Juicer Burn.

As someone who normally struggles with usage of limited resources (I'm a hoarder at heart, I guess), I'm not a big fan of the idea. Especially for a resource which basically inevitably lads to character death, I can't imagine ever choosing to use burn unless the tradeoff is near-guaranteed salvation from near-certain death. Since I don't know the Savage World rules well, let alone exactly how the Juicer burn mechanics work, it's hard for me to decide how I feel about it.

That said, it is an interesting idea and quite fitting for the Juicer in concept, so Look forward to learning/seeing more about it.

if the idea of your OCC killing you doesn't appeal to you, perhaps it is best not to play an OCC that will inevitably kill you...
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I like the way they are handling MDC . . . not the SDC can't hurt MDC part, but that a lot of things that currently are MDC won't be.

And FluidAztec, because nobody's suggested it to us yet.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The burn die seems a bit risky. It's entirely possible to die in 8 sessions purely through bad luck. not so much 5 years as 5 days :lol:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Jefffar wrote:I like the way they are handling MDC . . . not the SDC can't hurt MDC part, but that a lot of things that currently are MDC won't be.

Like what?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Jefffar wrote:And FluidAztec, because nobody's suggested it to us yet.

Well ok, can we have one please?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The burn die seems a bit risky. It's entirely possible to die in 8 sessions purely through bad luck. not so much 5 years as 5 days :lol:

turns out you were allergic i guess :P
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The burn die seems a bit risky. It's entirely possible to die in 8 sessions purely through bad luck. not so much 5 years as 5 days :lol:

Bah, if you wanted to die of old age you would have been a CPA. At least you go out with your boots on right?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

And juicers just got kicked off a lot of people's lists of viable class options...
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
dragonfett
Knight

Well we don't know what die type the Burn Die will be. If it's a d8, then yeah, there is a remote possibility. But if the Burn Die is a d6 (which is what I have a feeling is going to be the case), then so long as you don't use any abilities that require you to lower your Burn Score, you should be fine. But honestly, what's the fun in playing a Juicer if you are going to play it safe?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

dragonfett wrote:

Well we don't know what die type the Burn Die will be. If it's a d8, then yeah, there is a remote possibility. But if the Burn Die is a d6 (which is what I have a feeling is going to be the case), then so long as you don't use any abilities that require you to lower your Burn Score, you should be fine. But honestly, what's the fun in playing a Juicer if you are going to play it safe?

It is a d10.
And there s a Background Edge called "freshly juiced" which raises the base burn from 8 to 10.

As to the mechanic itself?
Dont like the check every session? make it a check every adventure arc... or a check every two sessions (or any other arbitrary number that suits your need.)

better get used to the idea tho...
from the sounds of things Kevin really likes the idea and he may try to find away to incorporate a pb version of it into the game.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

The Beast wrote:
Jefffar wrote:I like the way they are handling MDC . . . not the SDC can't hurt MDC part, but that a lot of things that currently are MDC won't be.

Like what?

Well for example basic body armour and personal weapons appear to no longer be MDC. The example provided a GB Pilot in Huntsman Armour with a Laser Pistol would still have to fear some dude with a spear jumping out and rushing him.

Daniel Stoker wrote:
Jefffar wrote:And FluidAztec, because nobody's suggested it to us yet.

Well ok, can we have one please?

Daniel Stoker

I'll pass along the request.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
dragonfett wrote:

It is a d10.
And there s a Background Edge called "freshly juiced" which raises the base burn from 8 to 10.

As to the mechanic itself?
Dont like the check every session? make it a check every adventure arc... or a check every two sessions (or any other arbitrary number that suits your need.)

better get used to the idea tho...
from the sounds of things Kevin really likes the idea and he may try to find away to incorporate a pb version of it into the game.

So a 30% base chance to die every check that could be every session. That does not make it very appealing.
It to me sounds like a good idea fairy something that sounds good until you start looking at it. Will likely cause a drop in juicer play.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well a lot of current players of Juicers realize that the current mechanic for them does not make their burn out a part of game play in most campaigns. In short, the major disadvantage of the class is more or less not applicable.

This actually means you have to risk something to get the juicer benefits ... we'll have to see what those are before we find out how worth it it is.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Jefffar wrote:Well a lot of current players of Juicers realize that the current mechanic for them does not make their burn out a part of game play in most campaigns. In short, the major disadvantage of the class is more or less not applicable.

This actually means you have to risk something to get the juicer benefits ... we'll have to see what those are before we find out how worth it it is.

Making them need to refill their drugs more often and have affects for when they are short on drugs would be a better as a disadvantage. IE they should be focusing the disadvantage on the juicer looking to maintain his addiction, not randomly killing a charter just because of his class. A base 30% chance to die every session for a charter just for being his class means they are unlikely to survive more than a handful of sessions.
I do not think the short life span(as in most games life spans are irrelevant) was meant as a in game disadvantage but a story one.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

It's a chance to lose a Burn Point, not to die. As long as the character has Burn Points left they may live.

blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

Jefffar wrote:It's a chance to lose a Burn Point, not to die. As long as the character has Burn Points left they may live.

And I'm pretty sure most GMs would let you spend a Benny to reroll it. That means starting the session with one less Benny, but hey, drug addiction's a hell of a thing.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
Wise_Owl
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wise_Owl »

I actually quite like the Burn mechanic. It makes the 'weakness' of the Juicer relevant in actual play. Realistically in the majority of games I've ever witnessed I've had exactly 1 Juicer reach 'Check-out' time, and that was because the player intentionally wanted to be 'near that threshold'.

The advantage of this mechanic, like much of Savage worlds, is tying it to the narrative. It lets you 'live' the Juicer life-style. You can, to an extent, control when your going to go, and maybe expend that last point of burn in a heroic moment, burning bright and than 'going out'.
The Way that can be told,
is not the true unchanging way

The way that can be named,
is not the true unnamable way
The Beast

Jefffar wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Like what?

Well for example basic body armour and personal weapons appear to no longer be MDC. The example provided a GB Pilot in Huntsman Armour with a Laser Pistol would still have to fear some dude with a spear jumping out and rushing him.

Doesn't sound so bad. What about MDC creatures? Are they getting rid of them, not changing them at all, or only allowing supernatural creatures to be MDC?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Beast wrote:
Jefffar wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Like what?

Doesn't sound so bad. What about MDC creatures? Are they getting rid of them, not changing them at all, or only allowing supernatural creatures to be MDC?

I imagine similar logic will be employed. so while Dragons will amost certainly remain MDC, it's doubtful every farie and imp will.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Shark_Force
Palladin

i will say that the payout from juicer burn feels somewhat low. i would want to see more happen by default if you voluntarily spend burn (alternately, you could have it so that when you burn, you roll the die an extra time to see if you lose burn permanently instead of guaranteed loss).
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

We still don't have all the Juicer rules yet. We don't know what spending a burn point does.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Jefffar wrote:We still don't have all the Juicer rules yet. We don't know what spending a burn point does.
a lot...
it does a lot...
at the basic level you can spend a point of burn to add your burn die (1d10) to any trait (stat, skill, etc...) or damage roll.
Keep in mind the typical TN (target number) in Savage Worlds is 4 unless it is a damage roll. For every 4 points over the TN that is something above and beyond a normal success (in the case of damage every 4 points over the TN is a wound).
Then there are the juicer edges that go beyond the basics.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Shark_Force
Palladin

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Jefffar wrote:We still don't have all the Juicer rules yet. We don't know what spending a burn point does.
a lot...
it does a lot...
at the basic level you can spend a point of burn to add your burn die (1d10) to any trait (stat, skill, etc...) or damage roll.
Keep in mind the typical TN (target number) in Savage Worlds is 4 unless it is a damage roll. For every 4 points over the TN that is something above and beyond a normal success (in the case of damage every 4 points over the TN is a wound).

sure, but you're taking a significant hit to your life expectancy. every point you lose is speeding up future loss of points.

as was noted, this feels like something you would use extremely rarely, if ever, in its current form, rather than being a real living breathing part of the class that contributes in a major way to how you play the character. currently, it makes you not want to use burn... which feels like it should be the exact opposite when playing a juicer. juicers should be all about taking risks, not so much about avoiding them.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
a lot...
it does a lot...

So Juicers are a 10 session character at best, unless you do nothing special and roll well at the start of every session.

My enthusiasm for this project is diminishing somewhat. PC body count is not how I measure success in a campaign....
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
a lot...
it does a lot...

I think there may still be other things to learn. There seems to be an assumption that spending a burn point that way is a permenant loss, which I think is the cause of much consternation.

Exactly how one spends the Burn Point and when is still not discussed, nor is it confirmed that they are lost permenantly when spent. Those details, plus the special edges are big holes in our knowledge to be plugged.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

I will wait to make any pronouncements of doom and gloom until I actually see the rules in there entirety and have some time to run some simulations with them to see how they work out in actual play.
Yeah the mechanics will be massively different. That was a given when the word 'conversion' comes up. The devil is in the details. If the flavor of the world can be kept then I am fine with some things changing. If flavor has to be sacrificed though then no I am not going to be happy.

And I will say that no I do not measure success in body count or consider lethality or danger to be part of the flavor of the setting. Anyone can make a game dangerous or deadly that is literally a no brainer. The trick is to make settings and mechanics that are just dangerous enough to be fun, but not dangerous enough to be boring.

Sure I would like juicers to have some sort of 'price' to pay. Why? Because the 'theme' of the juicer is 'pay a huge price for your power'... And if you don't ever end up having to ever pay that price. If no one is ever expected to ever pay that price, then its not really there. The current set up hurts the juicer concept and frankly is one of the reasons that Juicers are often banned by GMs. Because many people see it as a way to get 'free power' that has no price attached, since any costs will never actually come up in play.
But by the same token I don't want a juicer that is pointless either. Yes getting juiced is a terminal illness, yes it is a death sentence, and yes make no bones about it that character will die....but it doesn't have to mean that your going to be a disposable red shirt either. The trick is, as I said, to strike a balance and find a sweet spot where the price of power is just high enough that many, though not all, are leery of the seductive power offered by the juice...

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Jefffar wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
a lot...
it does a lot...

I think there may still be other things to learn. There seems to be an assumption that spending a burn point that way is a permenant loss, which I think is the cause of much consternation.

Exactly how one spends the Burn Point and when is still not discussed, nor is it confirmed that they are lost permenantly when spent. Those details, plus the special edges are big holes in our knowledge to be plugged.

another assumption is that burn is the only way the juicer gets to be... well... a juicer.
Juicers still get all their cool juicer abilities. Burn is for Last Call and uber over the top extra stuff not the mundane everyday juicer tricks.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

13eowulf wrote:So Juicers are a 10 session character at best, unless you do nothing special and roll well at the start of every session.

My enthusiasm for this project is diminishing somewhat. PC body count is not how I measure success in a campaign....

Well 10 session character at worst and don't do something like spend one of your bennies to retain a burn point (which I gather you can do and you regain them every session? Yes? No?)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
a lot...
it does a lot...

Again, I need to get more familiar with Savage Worlds rules so I probably shouldn't be commenting quite yet, but that doesn't seem like all that much to me, given what you're trading away. A chance (a decent chance, but still only a chance) at having a greater effect for one roll in exchange for an essentially guaranteed shorter lifespan doesn't seem like a good trade to me, unless it's a "save or die" situation in the first place or. I don't know how common those types of scenarios are in Savage Worlds games, though. It's also true that a way to "earn back" spent burn (though it's made pretty clear that's not a possibility) or even avoid the potential random loss of burn at the start of each session would change the equation, which is why I'm definitely reserving judgement.

I do like the general idea, but I'll have to see how it actually plays out mechanically. I guess if worst comes to worst you could just never spend burn, so normal random attrition would be the only way you're losing it, thereby maximizing your lifespan.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I have been reading all the support material for Savage Rifts, and I am liking what is coming out. There are a couple of minor nits, that I am not sure I like or can be answered at this time. If they can, I'd appreciate it, and would help me decide on whether to back it or not.

1. The fonts in the banner: Oddly enough I can't stand the stupid orange/yellow fonts used in banners.
ICONIC FRAMEWORKS—FRONT LOADING POWER
above is just one such banner that was listed in that yellow orange font. The letters are too blocky for my taste, and makes it very tough for me to read. I really hope the books don't use this, as it detracts from the game and makes it less likely for me to want it.

2. Manga Format: I know the Savage Worlds folks are probably used to the Manga format. But the Rifts folks, well the Robotech Folks who received Manga from Palladium, really disliked it. Will a larger format be available, even at a later date?

3. Digital Editions: One of the things that has been throwing me for a loop is the digital edition of the main book. Explorer Edition vs. Deluxe Edition, what's the big difference. Which should I buy? If I want something standard size, which version?
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Tiree wrote:I have been reading all the support material for Savage Rifts, and I am liking what is coming out. There are a couple of minor nits, that I am not sure I like or can be answered at this time. If they can, I'd appreciate it, and would help me decide on whether to back it or not.

1. The fonts in the banner: Oddly enough I can't stand the stupid orange/yellow fonts used in banners.
ICONIC FRAMEWORKS—FRONT LOADING POWER
above is just one such banner that was listed in that yellow orange font. The letters are too blocky for my taste, and makes it very tough for me to read. I really hope the books don't use this, as it detracts from the game and makes it less likely for me to want it.

2. Manga Format: I know the Savage Worlds folks are probably used to the Manga format. But the Rifts folks, well the Robotech Folks who received Manga from Palladium, really disliked it. Will a larger format be available, even at a later date?

3. Digital Editions: One of the things that has been throwing me for a loop is the digital edition of the main book. Explorer Edition vs. Deluxe Edition, what's the big difference. Which should I buy? If I want something standard size, which version?

In regards to #2, it is graphic novel (comic book) sized, not Manga, from my understanding.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yes, from the measurements on the company website is is manga-sized in the sense that BESM 2nd Edition was manga-sized rather than the way Robotech 2nd Edition was mandga-sized.

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Overall, Juicer burn seems pretty amazing. Very cool. Though one thing would be cool if they'd adjust the death rate based on health/stamina (whatever they use) rather than pure random.

Though of course the danger there is players figuring out how to make an immortal juicer.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

Tiree wrote:3. Digital Editions: One of the things that has been throwing me for a loop is the digital edition of the main book. Explorer Edition vs. Deluxe Edition, what's the big difference. Which should I buy? If I want something standard size, which version?

They are the same book, only the print format is different. Not sure how much that actually matters, though, if you are buying a digital copy... unless you plan on printing it off. Here is their statement on the matter:

*** The contents of the Savage Worlds Deluxe: Explorer's Edition and Savage Worlds Deluxe are the same. The Explorer's Edition is formatted for 6.5"x9" while Savage Worlds Deluxe is 8.5"x11". ***

EDIT: As for the reason behind different copies of the same thing, when Savage Worlds Deluxe was released, the initial print run was a standard size book. They publish both their physical, and digital, books simultaneously. So the full size book was put up on Drivethru at that time. It was a year or two before they published an explorers sized copy of the book, and they published a PDF copy of that one at that time, as well.
-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Alrik Vas wrote:Overall, Juicer burn seems pretty amazing. Very cool. Though one thing would be cool if they'd adjust the death rate based on health/stamina (whatever they use) rather than pure random.

Though of course the danger there is players figuring out how to make an immortal juicer.

it would probably be easy enough for Gm's to grant a few extra points every few sessions if a juicer looks to be burning through the points too fast. you could justify it as periods of rest giving the juicer time to heal some of the damage from the over-exertion or them getting a 2nd wind, etc. that would let a Gm ensure a juicer doesn't burn out after only a few sessions.. but also would let them adjust things so that player's can't easily game the system to create immortal Juicers. a juicer that does something totally awesome or plot relevant could thus be rewarded by a GM.. while one that wastes their points by burning through them for largely useless stuff or without thinking their action through would get not.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Beast

How is skill selection handled? Is it more flexible, or is it the same lousy, cookie-cutter system currently used?
dragonfett
Knight

The Savage Worlds system's skill selection is very much flexible.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

The Beast wrote:How is skill selection handled? Is it more flexible, or is it the same lousy, cookie-cutter system currently used?

Savage Worlds core has 23 skills instead of the dozens and dozens in Rifts. Each skill is pretty broad, so Fighting represents skill with all forms of close combat, Shooting is skill in all ranged weapons (whether guns or bows), and Throwing is your skill with thrown objects like knives and grenades. You start with 15 skill points and each point raises the skill a die type (so 1 point is d4, another point is d6 and so on). The skills are linked to your Attributes, so Fighting is linked to Agility, for example. Once your skill level goes above the linked Attribute, the skill costs double, representing it being more difficult to advance your training beyond your natural limits. So if you have Agility d6, raising your Fighting skill to d8 costs 4 points (1 for d4, 1 more for d6, then 2 more for d8).

Having a d4 in a skill represents basic training, d6 is competence, d8 is excellence, d10 is superior, and d12 makes you one of the best in the world. If you don't have a given skill, you can roll it at d4-2. Whenever you roll a skill in Savage Worlds you also roll an additional d6 (called the Wild Die) and take the better of the two dice. If you roll maximum on any die, you roll it again and add on (this is called "Acing"). So if you have d8 Fighting, you roll a d8 and a d6; if you get a 7 on the d8 and a 6 on the d6, you roll the d6 again; should you roll a 3 on the second d6, you then have results of 7 and 9, so you take the 9 as your final result.

Most target numbers in Savage Worlds are 4, though numbers in combat might be higher, or there might be penalties based on difficulty. Getting 4 above your target number (called a "raise") usually results in a better result of some kind.

Hope that helps!
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
The Beast

blackwingedheaven wrote:
The Beast wrote:How is skill selection handled? Is it more flexible, or is it the same lousy, cookie-cutter system currently used?

Savage Worlds core has 23 skills instead of the dozens and dozens in Rifts. Each skill is pretty broad, so Fighting represents skill with all forms of close combat, Shooting is skill in all ranged weapons (whether guns or bows), and Throwing is your skill with thrown objects like knives and grenades. You start with 15 skill points and each point raises the skill a die type (so 1 point is d4, another point is d6 and so on). The skills are linked to your Attributes, so Fighting is linked to Agility, for example. Once your skill level goes above the linked Attribute, the skill costs double, representing it being more difficult to advance your training beyond your natural limits. So if you have Agility d6, raising your Fighting skill to d8 costs 4 points (1 for d4, 1 more for d6, then 2 more for d8).

Having a d4 in a skill represents basic training, d6 is competence, d8 is excellence, d10 is superior, and d12 makes you one of the best in the world. If you don't have a given skill, you can roll it at d4-2. Whenever you roll a skill in Savage Worlds you also roll an additional d6 (called the Wild Die) and take the better of the two dice. If you roll maximum on any die, you roll it again and add on (this is called "Acing"). So if you have d8 Fighting, you roll a d8 and a d6; if you get a 7 on the d8 and a 6 on the d6, you roll the d6 again; should you roll a 3 on the second d6, you then have results of 7 and 9, so you take the 9 as your final result.

Most target numbers in Savage Worlds are 4, though numbers in combat might be higher, or there might be penalties based on difficulty. Getting 4 above your target number (called a "raise") usually results in a better result of some kind.

Hope that helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juFZh92MUOY
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

palladiumjunkie wrote:
Tiree wrote:3. Digital Editions: One of the things that has been throwing me for a loop is the digital edition of the main book. Explorer Edition vs. Deluxe Edition, what's the big difference. Which should I buy? If I want something standard size, which version?

They are the same book, only the print format is different. Not sure how much that actually matters, though, if you are buying a digital copy... unless you plan on printing it off. Here is their statement on the matter:

*** The contents of the Savage Worlds Deluxe: Explorer's Edition and Savage Worlds Deluxe are the same. The Explorer's Edition is formatted for 6.5"x9" while Savage Worlds Deluxe is 8.5"x11". ***

EDIT: As for the reason behind different copies of the same thing, when Savage Worlds Deluxe was released, the initial print run was a standard size book. They publish both their physical, and digital, books simultaneously. So the full size book was put up on Drivethru at that time. It was a year or two before they published an explorers sized copy of the book, and they published a PDF copy of that one at that time, as well.
-Chris

Thank you very much for the insights!

Return to “Rifts®”