We need a Rifts Louisiana.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Beagleboy
Newb

We need a Rifts Louisiana.

Unread post by Beagleboy »

As somebody from the tri-state area of Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana, I wish there were more Rifts material for my area. I always had a problem with the fact they cut-off the boot of Louisiana in describing the Rifts setting. Not to mention saying there are no leylines in what is left.
Louisiana is a region ripe with history and superstition. Tales of witches, voodoo, ghost, werewolves and undead. Ever hear of Bloodybones (or Rawhead), the stories are common to Louisiana and much of the southern US. Granted I can and do do my own thing with the region. In my scenerio, leylines crisscross the sunken portion of Louisiana and Mississippi, and long burried (or washed away) undead have began emerging in droves to establish their own hidden kingdom in central Louisiana. I have also revived the concept of "Rips of Magic" from the old version of BtS, making the area ripe with them, though possessing no flowing leylines. I also throw in "Transitional Places of Power" (also old BtS material).
One of the things I created was a pit of quicksand that is enchanted by a rip of magic, where those who die in it or the reciently dead thrown in it, revive as undead creatures (pretty much any except vampires, including unique creatures spawned by it's necro-enchantment). One such pit is in the emerging undead kingdom, with rumors of more like it hidden in the swamps.
Am I the only one who would like to see some unique material for this region? Perhaps even something in south Louisiana similiar to the Yucatan. Please give me some feedback.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Re: We need a Rifts Louisiana.

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

I believe that that area has been considered for a book before. Don't know what happen to it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

IIRC, that was supposed to be Rifts Delta Blues, which was turned in years ago.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Thyne O'Rouke
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Thyne O'Rouke »

Actually it was somewhat covered by John Philpott and Josh Sinsapaugh through a trilogy called Rifts Deep South. The books were Delta Blues™, Deep Woods™, and Rifts® Voodoo and the Spirit World. Of course if I remember right it was not published that I know of. Do not get me wrong when I say this, but palladium is notorious for not making most deadlines on time. In fact they are usually years from the promised publishing date.
yay, even more madness to put in my little black book ^^ all hail the little black book.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

How much of Louisiana would even be above sea level?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Wasn't it something like 1/3 or half as per the maps we had?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would rather have a PF book then just another Rifts worldbook.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Wouldn't most of Louisiana be underwater?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

An underwater Civilization loaded with voodoo, zombies, really good Rappers and......Chance Boudreaux.

Love it.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Wouldn't most of Louisiana be underwater?

Well, landwise...but, given trends in global warming, how much might have survived is up to how seriously the United States took, in the bloom of prosperity around the Golden Age, with megadamage materials, cheap fusion power, and robotics, to flood-proof communities in area.
That having been said, though, the maps do show that even the most pessimistic and drastic forecast would have required the cities of the lower delta to be hermetically domed to have survived....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Shoot, the published that years ago...

Rifts: Louisiana

More seriously, didn't CS Navy have a fair bit about it?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

ehh.. I could do with out Louisiana to be honest. I saw what they did with the Carolina's and wasn't pleased.

I'd rather 'West Coast'.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mark Hall wrote:Shoot, the published that years ago...

Rifts: Louisiana

More seriously, didn't CS Navy have a fair bit about it?

Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :-D
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Pepsi Jedi wrote:ehh.. I could do with out Louisiana to be honest. I saw what they did with the Carolina's and wasn't pleased.

I'd rather 'West Coast'.

Tell Fell
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I would rather have a PF book then just another Rifts worldbook.

I think allot of other PB setting should get a new book.
Ninjas and superspies is way dated tech wise it is long over do for a new book.

Recon Desert warefare for the wars in the middle east.

Palladium fantasy could always use a new book.

After the bomb could get a new book.

New mutants in orbit book.

Perhaps a new splicer book.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I would rather have a PF book then just another Rifts worldbook.

I think allot of other PB setting should get a new book.
Ninjas and superspies is way dated tech wise it is long over do for a new book.

Recon Desert warefare for the wars in the middle east.

Palladium fantasy could always use a new book.

After the bomb could get a new book.

New mutants in orbit book.

Perhaps a new splicer book.

I won't mind seeing some new books in those lines myself.
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

Could someone maybe write or submit a Rifts: Lazlo book? For a place as important as it to the plotline, it is very noticeable gap.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Kelorin wrote:Could someone maybe write or submit a Rifts: Lazlo book? For a place as important as it to the plotline, it is very noticeable gap.

I could have sworn there was a rifter write up on it.

As much as I like rifts and rifts books I do think some of the other lines need some love to.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Back on topic... Mutant swamp monsters and lots of ghost activity, old powerful spirits. Like Madhaven on Steroids, less insanity more fear.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

There was actually two rifter articles on Lazlo but if memory serves they came like 6 issues apart (a year and a half) or something but yes, there's been Rifter articles on Lazlo but it was before the current trend to make everything in Rifters Official.

So I -think- they're unofficial. but I could be wrong.

Either way with that much page count afforded to Lazlo in the rifter, we're unlikely to get a Lazlo book any time soon.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Pepsi Jedi wrote:There was actually two rifter articles on Lazlo but if memory serves they came like 6 issues apart (a year and a half) or something but yes, there's been Rifter articles on Lazlo but it was before the current trend to make everything in Rifters Official.

Either way with that much page count afforded to Lazlo in the rifter, we're unlikely to get a Lazlo book any time soon.

Don't know why not, compile, update, expand and reprint in its own book
Library Ogre

Zer0 Kay wrote:Back on topic... Mutant swamp monsters and lots of ghost activity, old powerful spirits. Like Madhaven on Steroids, less insanity more fear.

I'd toss out that the Bayou Ursines seem pretty tailored to be from Louisiana.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mark Hall wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Back on topic... Mutant swamp monsters and lots of ghost activity, old powerful spirits. Like Madhaven on Steroids, less insanity more fear.

I'd toss out that the Bayou Ursines seem pretty tailored to be from Louisiana.

That would make... Literary or would that be literal, sense.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:There was actually two rifter articles on Lazlo but if memory serves they came like 6 issues apart (a year and a half) or something but yes, there's been Rifter articles on Lazlo but it was before the current trend to make everything in Rifters Official.

The articles are explicitly Unofficial. And combined with the fact that they seem to be pretty far divergent with what official information we have it seems that they are as unlikely to affect a Lazlo book as the serialized story stopped there being Tolkeen books.

Its pretty important that stuff be official or not....because a lot of the Rifter material has the problem of not having been written with any eye to continuity but more of 'Hey here is the town I used in my game'
They tend to be full of house rules, non-canon assumptions, ignore printed material and worse.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

It's been a while but I'm unsure how it's divergent from official information considering how little official information we have...

But... we've got what the next 5 or more rifts books laid out? Lazlo as a book hasn't even been put forth as an option of possible future book in the next few years.

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Beagleboy wrote:As somebody from the tri-state area of Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana, I wish there were more Rifts material for my area. I always had a problem with the fact they cut-off the boot of Louisiana in describing the Rifts setting. Not to mention saying there are no leylines in what is left.
Louisiana is a region ripe with history and superstition. .............
Am I the only one who would like to see some unique material for this region? .........Please give me some feedback.

I feel your pain brother. I feel the exact same way about the 5 state region of Indiana (my home), Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, and Michigan, but for After the Bomb. Rifts already has way to much info on these places (except Indiana. We get no respect). I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and eagerly look forward to seeing what you and the others propose for the Gulf Region.

Best of luck,
TOSA Nate
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Library Ogre

Beagleboy wrote: One of the things I created was a pit of quicksand that is enchanted by a rip of magic, where those who die in it or the reciently dead thrown in it, revive as undead creatures (pretty much any except vampires, including unique creatures spawned by it's necro-enchantment). One such pit is in the emerging undead kingdom, with rumors of more like it hidden in the swamps.

If you ever go back into Wooly Swamp son you better not go at night
There's things out there in the middle of them woods
That'd make a strong man die from fright
There's things that crawl and things that fly
And things that creep around on the ground
And they say the ghost of Lucias Clay gets up and it walks around

All Palladium Articles
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Beagleboy wrote:As somebody from the tri-state area of Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana, I wish there were more Rifts material for my area. I always had a problem with the fact they cut-off the boot of Louisiana in describing the Rifts setting. Not to mention saying there are no leylines in what is left.
Louisiana is a region ripe with history and superstition. .............
Am I the only one who would like to see some unique material for this region? .........Please give me some feedback.

I feel your pain brother. I feel the exact same way about the 5 state region of Indiana (my home), Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, and Michigan, but for After the Bomb. Rifts already has way to much info on these places (except Indiana. We get no respect). I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and eagerly look forward to seeing what you and the others propose for the Gulf Region.

Best of luck,
TOSA Nate

And I of that which when cut in half would make Texas the third largest state. But I've been working on it again.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mark Hall wrote:
Beagleboy wrote: One of the things I created was a pit of quicksand that is enchanted by a rip of magic, where those who die in it or the reciently dead thrown in it, revive as undead creatures (pretty much any except vampires, including unique creatures spawned by it's necro-enchantment). One such pit is in the emerging undead kingdom, with rumors of more like it hidden in the swamps.

If you ever go back into Wooly Swamp son you better not go at night
There's things out there in the middle of them woods
That'd make a strong man die from fright
There's things that crawl and things that fly
And things that creep around on the ground
And they say the ghost of Lucias Clay gets up and it walks around

As long as we don't get...
Oh you fall in quicksand of drowned yeti, riding an ox while carrying an eel and a crane. Now whenever sand is grown at you you turn into...

Return to “Rifts®”