Auto-Dodge

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Auto-Dodge

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

If a hand-to-hand skill gives you a bonus to auto-dodge, does that mean you have auto-dodge? I'm talking about Commando and a couple others from Japan.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Auto-Dodge

Unread post by Bill »

That's how I've interpreted it.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Umm Commando does say it gives auto dodge at a certain level as does Akido, and the tengos martial art starts with it.
When I check page 73 cs war campaign auto dodge is gained at level 5 for comando.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Blue_Lion wrote:Umm Commando does say it gives auto dodge at a certain level as does Akido, and the tengos martial art starts with it.
When I check page 73 cs war campaign auto dodge is gained at level 5 for comando.

Thanks. Commando as described on Ultimate Edition p348-349 doesn't indicate when the character gains autododge, but does grant a bonus to the ability at 5th.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

That is oddly enough generally how auto dodge shows up. When you get the first + to auto dodge you now have auto dodge. Like the various power armors that grant it it does not say grants auto dodge it always just says something like +2 to auto dodge or something of that nature.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

How can you have a bonus to doing something if you can't do the very something you have a bonus to do?
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Blue_Lion
Knight

Slight001 wrote:How can you have a bonus to doing something if you can't do the very something you have a bonus to do?

That is basically the orginal posters question
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Blue_Lion wrote:
Slight001 wrote:How can you have a bonus to doing something if you can't do the very something you have a bonus to do?

That is basically the orginal posters question

Pretty much... thanks.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

yup it is odd I agree but that is the way it has been done since the RUE. It never really says you have auto dodge it just says you have + whatever to auto dodge.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Now a spiteful person could argue that "you get a +2 bonus to autododge ... if you're capable of it"

(silly example)

It also says you get a Karate Kick Attack but that wouldn't apply to a character without legs ... so you get a +2 to autododge but that wouldn't apply to a character without autododge.

(silly example)

Of course like they said the original version in WB11 says he gets the ability at level 5
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Incriptus wrote:Now a spiteful person could argue that "you get a +2 bonus to autododge ... if you're capable of it"

(silly example)

It also says you get a Karate Kick Attack but that wouldn't apply to a character without legs ... so you get a +2 to autododge but that wouldn't apply to a character without autododge.

(silly example)

Of course like they said the original version in WB11 says he gets the ability at level 5

As a GM, I would have played the "silly example", but as a player... never. I never actually read it in WB11, but now that I have, I will play it as it was written there.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

It would indeed make a ton more sense if the stuff that gives you auto dodge just comes out and flat says you get auto dodge. Then have the actual bonuses to do it on top of that listed separately but that unfortunately has not been the convention of how they work it since RUE. Down side it seems weird but plus side its at least been consistent which cannot be said for all things in the system.
Blue_Lion
Knight

When auto dodge really starts getting messy is when you have a conversion charter from Ninjas & Superspies. As AutoI dodge from there requires your first action to activate and can be shut off by certain moves. In addition no hand to hand in there has a bonus to auto dodge.

(Is the plural form of ninja, ninja makes the title a type-o.)

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

N&SS is always a bit odd like that their hand to hand works similar to the other systems but there are some subtle differences that do take some converting when going elsewhere.
Blue_Lion
Knight

kaid wrote:N&SS is always a bit odd like that their hand to hand works similar to the other systems but there are some subtle differences that do take some converting when going elsewhere.

I think significant not subtle differences. Auto dodge works totally different hand to hands grand other skills and even mystical powers. Add many more types of moves.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Maybe auto-dodge bonuses if granted but without granting the ability only benefit those who gain the ability from another source, like if a Crazy learned Commando.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

That's not entirely outlandish, but at the same time highly unlikely. There's no reason a normal person couldn't learn proper techniques over time to copy auto dodge. They don't get the ability until later after a fair amount if experience and training, while juicers and crazy OCC get it just by virtue of their class. Having commando would improve it as normal, of course.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
isawarenshi
D-Bee

Unread post by isawarenshi »

I think the confusion came from the conversion from the original Rifts format to the RUE Rifts format. In the original rules once you got auto-dodge you generally just got the ability to do it using your standard dodge roll. When RUE came out they updated it so that auto-dodge was it's own stat that was generally lower then your basic dodge roll.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Possibly, though somehow I'd always assumed it used it's own bonuses even pre-RUE, heh.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Rifts®”