Force Fields

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Force Fields

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Telekinetic Force Field (RUE pg. 183) allow you to activate it as a parry to an attack, so that it takes all the damage. Can traps be parried, thereby allowing you to activate this power?

I looked but could find no info on parrying any traps.

Also, Psychic Body Field (RUE pg. 181) should work on the same mechanics but it doesn't mention anything about using it as a parry. Would you allow it to be used as a parry in your game, or stick to what the RUE says? Just wondering how others might interpret it.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Force Fields

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

You could say psychic body field requires more concentration to make as it's a field that moves as you do.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

HarleeKnight wrote:Telekinetic Force Field (RUE pg. 183) allow you to activate it as a parry to an attack, so that it takes all the damage. Can traps be parried, thereby allowing you to activate this power?

I looked but could find no info on parrying any traps.

Also, Psychic Body Field (RUE pg. 181) should work on the same mechanics but it doesn't mention anything about using it as a parry. Would you allow it to be used as a parry in your game, or stick to what the RUE says? Just wondering how others might interpret it.

seeing as how the "initiation phrasing" is identical I would be inclined to allow the body shield to be used as a parry whats interesting is the isp is 5 different tk force field is lower but it also has a longer base duration but more uses and limitations.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i would allow TK force field against attacks of any sort that you are 'aware' of (including through sixth sense, for example).

i wouldn't allow the same with the body field. i feel like it is a much more complex process to make a form-fitting forcefield that moves with you, and while it doesn't take more actions, i do think of it as being a lot less of a split-second reaction ability.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I allow most force field abilities to be used in place of parry or dodge if the character knows the attack is coming and can otherwise respond. In some cases I rule that the power activates before the attack completes and no roll is required.

How naturally this all works in your game depends highly on how you view the concept of initiative.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

That's true, flatline. I often allow my players any sort of reasonable action they want if they declare it before I ask for an initiative roll.

Of course, if I really surprise my player, then they usually accept that their character would be surprised as well.

Though generally I like initiative, it sorts things out pretty good.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

What about landmine type traps... can they be parried?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Alrik Vas
Knight

If you're aware of it I don't see why not.

dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I would say no for traps unless you knowingly walk into the trap knowing that it was there. That's the whole point of a trap is to catch you off guard.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

IMG, if you're allowed a defense roll, you're allowed to use pretty much anything that takes a single action to do. You can parry, dodge, attack, hit back with a psychic power, defend yourself with a quick spell, etc. So, if I'm going to allow full defense (dodge or parry, not roll), then I'm going to allow most single actions.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Parry trap would require that you know the trap is there and have something to block it with. I would rule a use roll with impact no target number default.

A trap that has a swing blade could be parried with a sword, a mine might require a shield. Some by there nature such as a pit trap have nothing to block and must be avoided another way.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

Whatever you decide keep it consistent.

Return to “Rifts®”