Magebane

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Re: Magebane

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

You can fairly easily wear a hardened leather breastplate, shoulders (pauldrons/spaulders), vambraces/elbow cops, and greaves/knee cops with chain, however.

Also - forget chain maile leggings. They were a thing, but they were -incredily- hard to make (becayuse you have to size them just right or the rings bind up on you and you cant move) and were cripplingly heavy to wear suspended from a chause belt. Chain leg coverage was usually just the hauberken being extended down the upper thigh, often with a split for riding, or as a separate knee-length skirt that was belted on, in the transitional years between early breastplates and the later more articulated styles that included faulds at the bottom and tassets hanging from them.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:You can fairly easily wear a hardened leather breastplate, shoulders (pauldrons/spaulders), vambraces/elbow cops, and greaves/knee cops with chain, however.

Also - forget chain maile leggings. They were a thing, but they were -incredily- hard to make (becayuse you have to size them just right or the rings bind up on you and you cant move) and were cripplingly heavy to wear suspended from a chause belt. Chain leg coverage was usually just the hauberken being extended down the upper thigh, often with a split for riding, or as a separate knee-length skirt that was belted on, in the transitional years between early breastplates and the later more articulated styles that included faulds at the bottom and tassets hanging from them.

Uh, yeah that is like the leather equivalent of plate mail. You still wouldn't get all of chain mail plus all of leathers stats.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:late nails of medieval times included padding as far as being built as a part of it. Original suits of plate did require the wearer to wear chain upon which were strapped pieces of plate throughout the period a cap had to be worn under the great helms. The padding was mostly for fitting as it was poor protection agains bludgeoning attacks, which is why the weapons of choice were hammers, maces, morning stars and greatswords.

Id been occasionally perusing to see if there were any interesting topics and hadn't posted in quiet some time..

i actually went through the process of finding my account info and resetting my password to address this. As a history major, re-enactor and larper, there is a lot of misunderstanding here (though i think it got cleared up later, i want to go over it again).

Historically, by the time we got back to "real" plate armor (the Romans had plate armor for centuries, remember) after the Dark Ages, chain maile was NOT worn under it. Very -early- post dark ages "plate and maile" armor was largely just a chain maile hauberken (shirt with arms down to usually mid-forearm or even all the way to the wrists, and long enough to hang down the knees) with plated forearm vambraces, a "floating" plate greave (does not wrap around the entire calf, just buckles on) for the lower leg, and a rather crude early breastplate that is actually tied INTO the chain, with perhaps a pair of primitive spaulders (two or three lames) on the shoulders, also tied directly into the maile.

Padding (A gamebeson/gambezon, in english, had a lot of other names in various cultures, but all basically the same garment) was a practical necessity under anything other than perhaps very light leather armor. Even under hardened leather armor, you wore a gambeson, unless you wanted to be rubbed raw and bloody after an hour's combat. (Seriously, as a guy, you will never understand a womans pain until you fight in a stiff leather breastplate without padding underneath and find your nipples rubbed raw and bloody)

A gambeson (and a thick one) was pretty much -always- worn under maile. Otherwise you'd end the day bleeding from everywhere with ring-ligatures all over your body.

By the time early plate-and-maile armor evolved into the first forms of truly articulated "plate" armor, chain maile was no longer worn underneath it. By that time, the practice had become to simply sew maile straight to the gambeson in all the places that the plate didn't cover, to save on weight and exhaustion. Also by this time, the gambeson was also an integral part of the plate armor process - they were even thicker and better quilted, often with very expensive silk in the case of noblemen and rich knights, to help defeat one of the few weapons that could actually penetrate plate armor reliably at the time - a longbow fired in arched volley or heavy crossbow (an arbalest or cranequin). In addition, by this point the gambeson was the essential rig the armor was strapped to. All the articulated pieces other than the legs themselves were tied directly to the gambeson, including the helmet and gorget, which bucked into the neckline for stability. The legs were suspended off of a belt that looks suspiciously like a weight belt you see weight lifters using.

Honestly, you couldnt wear a full suit of chain maile under a suit of plate if you wanted to - the mail would cause all the articulated joints of the plate to bind up. You wouldnt be able to move. Same with hardened/armor grade leather - it wouldnt move.

TL:DR version.. .

No tripple dipping.

So... You agree then? It isn't padded armor and plate or padded, chain and plate it is either early or late platemale. Which plate are you referring to for the Romans? The Lorica Segmentata or the Lorica Musculata/Thorax? The Musculata/Thorax was definitely plate but it was only a chest plate even Segmentata is Torso protection we didn't see the full plate that most games call platemale until much later. It would be more correct, if I'm not mistaken, to refer to only plate and chain mail as plate Mai and for something like Maximilian cavalry as Full Plate while a knight on foot would likely be wearing field plate and Maximilian Jousting is half plate even thought that half would have a higher armor class... and less mobility than the full plate... OR lower AC and mobility but higher SDC? Hmm.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

OOOOOoooorrrrr maybe this is a game not a reality simulation and all those armors got folded into general classes of armor with the same names (*hint by the books that is what happened*)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Wiiiiiich still means you can't combine Plate, Chain and Padded because Plate is either Plate & Mail, Full Plate, Field Plate or Half Plate. And combining them is stupid and would serve as much as making a magic system that is Earth, Air, FIre and Water and that is it. No fireballs because it is combined into fire, No lightning because that is just air no ice cuz that is just water. That is it we just combined them all to make it easier. See... very stupid. Especially seeing how inundated Rifts is with armors the least they could have given us in Palladium Fantasy is the various types of armors there were.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Wiiiiiich still means you can't combine Plate, Chain and Padded because Plate is either Plate & Mail, Full Plate, Field Plate or Half Plate. And combining them is stupid and would serve as much as making a magic system that is Earth, Air, FIre and Water and that is it. No fireballs because it is combined into fire, No lightning because that is just air no ice cuz that is just water. That is it we just combined them all to make it easier. See... very stupid. Especially seeing how inundated Rifts is with armors the least they could have given us in Palladium Fantasy is the various types of armors there were.

They tried.
There were a bunch of weapons and armor books. They sold really poorly, suggesting that no one was interested in that....spells and monsters and magic items though did okay....
....so that is what they printed.

But Rifts players seem to eat up yet more guns and armor and weapons...so we get more guns, more armor, and more weapons.
Which is also why there are more forms and varieties of SDC armor in Rifts than there are in the various SDC lines....Because that is what sells in Rifts.

Which, btw suggests that if you want tons of detailed variations on swords, and armors and stuff.....then tracking down the various 'weapons and armors' books might be a good investment for you.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

From what I saw in the compendium of modern weapons it looks like they used different stat system requiring the gm/player to convert it to the game. It was not ease of use X does Y in game that could also be part of what hurt it.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:From what I saw in the compendium of modern weapons it looks like they used different stat system requiring the gm/player to convert it to the game. It was not ease of use X does Y in game that could also be part of what hurt it.

Quite possibly.
Though the fact that when converted into game stats they were almost all identical with only minute variations in SDC and maybe a single point of AR might have been part of it.
If I can describe fifty forms of armor as Just like plate mail +/- 5% SDC...is it really worth spending the (very limited) space in Palladium Fantasy books to print each of those armors?
*shrugs*
Though the thought occurs that if someone really thinks its such a great idea they can always do the calculations, write the material and submit it to the Rifter.
I strongly suspect that one of the reasons we have not seen much of the 'yet more toys' in PF is that the authors who have written for PF are not interested in writing such. And since the only material that will get published is the material that gets written.......

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The compendium of weapons armor and castles is excellent reading. I highly recommend it.

The compendium of contemporary weapons is less interesting.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Wiiiiiich still means you can't combine Plate, Chain and Padded because Plate is either Plate & Mail, Full Plate, Field Plate or Half Plate. And combining them is stupid and would serve as much as making a magic system that is Earth, Air, FIre and Water and that is it. No fireballs because it is combined into fire, No lightning because that is just air no ice cuz that is just water. That is it we just combined them all to make it easier. See... very stupid. Especially seeing how inundated Rifts is with armors the least they could have given us in Palladium Fantasy is the various types of armors there were.

They tried.
There were a bunch of weapons and armor books. They sold really poorly, suggesting that no one was interested in that....spells and monsters and magic items though did okay....
....so that is what they printed.

But Rifts players seem to eat up yet more guns and armor and weapons...so we get more guns, more armor, and more weapons.
Which is also why there are more forms and varieties of SDC armor in Rifts than there are in the various SDC lines....Because that is what sells in Rifts.

Which, btw suggests that if you want tons of detailed variations on swords, and armors and stuff.....then tracking down the various 'weapons and armors' books might be a good investment for you.

No they didn't, Maryann came up with some books and they didn't even use the Palladium system, without conversion... which is why those didn't do well. The magic and monsters books did use the system so were useful.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

flatline wrote:The compendium of weapons armor and castles is excellent reading. I highly recommend it.

The compendium of contemporary weapons is less interesting.

I liked both.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

First I'm sorry for being so late coming back to this. You are missing the point I'm trying to make. Over the summer I wore ride leathers under motocross protection, that's basically two different types of armor worn at one time. With this ability all that can all be MDC. But would I have to use it once for the every thing or twice for the two different types of armor. This ability would allow you to use different types of body protection as body armor.

Also Zero Kay do you use the added strike, perry bonuses for melee weapon from the compendium book. We also tried to use the modern weapons's p.v. as a sub for, MDC.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

rem1093 wrote: We also tried to use the modern weapons's p.v. as a sub for, MDC.

Were you pleased with the result?
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

flatline wrote:
rem1093 wrote: We also tried to use the modern weapons's p.v. as a sub for, MDC.

Were you pleased with the result?

Yes and no. We started MDC at 7, then added levels for different thing. Such as, light armor was at 7, heavy armor and light power armor was at 8, and so on. The problem was with spells, super powers, psychic abilities, we couldn't get them to balance right.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

rem1093 wrote:First I'm sorry for being so late coming back to this. You are missing the point I'm trying to make. Over the summer I wore ride leathers under motocross protection, that's basically two different types of armor worn at one time.

No, you wore motocross protection and a leather garment. One is armor, one is not. In no reality is motorcycle leather armor-grade.

With this ability all that can all be MDC. .

The point most of us have been making is that two types of real armor simply dont wear with each other in most cases. You cant wear full chain maile under "plate" because you wouldn't be able to move; for earlier forms of plate, the full maile was PART of the plate armor. So to wear chain maile AND plate, you'd have to be wearing TWO suits of chain - good luck moving. The links will bind on each other immediately.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

That's why you wear some leather armor in between your two layers of chain so they don't bind on each other.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Axelmania wrote:That's why you wear some leather armor in between your two layers of chain so they don't bind on each other.

Theyll just bind on the leather. Im not sure you have a good concept for how thick leather has to be to be useful as armor.

And have fun carrying ~130lbs of maile on your shoulders.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Could someone with sufficient strength wear several layers of armor?
Probably.
Would they have significant penalties?
Definitely.
Just a single suit of armor starts to get penalties. When you get into the heavy stuff those penalties can get pretty steep, pretty quick.
If you layer on stuff your going to get those penalties and more. You lose mobility, your joints are either not protected, or stiff with the overlapping material interfering with the full range of motion.....all sorts of stuff.
To me this conjures up memories of trying to put on body armor, over rain gear, over MOPP suits, over artic gear, over uniforms......
Sure you could do it....but you ended up looking like Randy from the movie A Christmas Story.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Axelmania wrote:That's why you wear some leather armor in between your two layers of chain so they don't bind on each other.

Theyll just bind on the leather. Im not sure you have a good concept for how thick leather has to be to be useful as armor.

And have fun carrying ~130lbs of maile on your shoulders.

Could a magebane get that power tattoo of broken chain?

Return to “Rifts®”