Damage for a Giant Sized Chain Saw Sword

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Damage for a Giant Sized Chain Saw Sword

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

Was wanting input for damage I was thinking of just doubling the dame for the Vibro-chainsaw Sword that is Optional For the Pit Fighter Power Armor.
What does everyone think.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Damage for a Giant Sized Chain Saw Sword

Unread post by taalismn »

Or use the damage stats for the chainsaw arm off the Northern Gun Scorpion Battler; 1d6x10 MD on a fully powered slice, 4d6 MD unpowered. Of course, if you don't have a robot's nuclear powerplant powering it, so you may be limited in the amount of time your giant can handle the thing running on full rip-and -roar.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Chainsword comes to mind, immediately make the sign of the Aquilla.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Sir_Nytehawk357 wrote:Was wanting input for damage I was thinking of just doubling the dame for the Vibro-chainsaw Sword that is Optional For the Pit Fighter Power Armor.

Well the general rule in Palladium is that "giant-size" does one extra die of damage compared to the normal-size item. That is how Palladium Fantasy handles the issue, and IINM there is at least one such reference in Rifts.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Sir_Nytehawk357 wrote:Was wanting input for damage I was thinking of just doubling the dame for the Vibro-chainsaw Sword that is Optional For the Pit Fighter Power Armor.

Well the general rule in Palladium is that "giant-size" does one extra die of damage compared to the normal-size item. That is how Palladium Fantasy handles the issue, and IINM there is at least one such reference in Rifts.

At first glance that is the trend in Rifts as well. I just checked the RUE comparing the damage a normal sized Vibro Long Sword does versus a Giant Sized Vibro Sword and the increase is one die, from 2d6 MD to 3d6 MD. Of course that could also mean the increase in damage is 50%.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

How big are we talking here?
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

dragonfett wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

At first glance that is the trend in Rifts as well. I just checked the RUE comparing the damage a normal sized Vibro Long Sword does versus a Giant Sized Vibro Sword and the increase is one die, from 2d6 MD to 3d6 MD. Of course that could also mean the increase in damage is 50%.

While it can be viewed that way, I'd take large size with multipliers going up a category die type. 1d4x10 becomes 1d6x10 becomes 2d4x10 becomes 2d6x10 etc.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

There is also a power armor sized chain sword that comes standard with the thunder hound power armor in NG2. I am not sure thats giant sized enough for you but it requires power armor to use correctly so at least appropriate heavy cyborgs.titans things in the 8-10 foot range.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Also I would probably note that even for like a two handed chain sword wielded by something the size of the pit fighter which is not a ton bigger than the thunder hound is probably only going to do 1d or 2d more. Just look at some of the power armor vibro weapons that are much bigger than the man portable ones but the damage gain for extra size is generally only 1 or 2 d6.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Oh random aside number two you may want to check the vibro chain saw thing for the forrester power armor. It has one built in and I can't recall off the top of my head if it is more/less or the same as what the thunder hound has.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I thought PA used giant sized weapons already. Giant sized vibro swords used by borgs and pa.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Well the gladiator and the thunder hound while power armor are I believe both on the smaller size range. Some of the light power armor is basically man sized + a few inches depending on height of the pilot. Some like the samson and GB are like 10-11 feet tall. I think most power armor melee weapons are already basically claymore type size so two handed at best for normal human wielders so if not giant at least high end of manageable for unaugmented people.

It is also good to note though that size in general does not scale up in rifts with size of weapons the damage difference between a one handed vibro sword and a two handed power armor wielded vibro scythe is I believe 2d6.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Then there see weapons like what that giant robot has in Pantheons of The Megaverse. Like 20ft long, weighs something like half a ton, made by a genius...

...deals 5d6.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Alrik Vas wrote:Then there see weapons like what that giant robot has in Pantheons of The Megaverse. Like 20ft long, weighs something like half a ton, made by a genius...

...deals 5d6.

Yes the damage ranges in rifts are somewhat constrained so you really don't see that much change with the size of a weapon. And honestly it does make some sense. What is doing the damage on something like a vibro chainsword would be the area of contact of the weapon on the target. A bigger weapon increases your swing range but the actual area that is inflicting damage does not appreciably change with a larger or smaller weapon. The biggest plus with a larger weapon is greater mass but with things like chain swords/vibro weapons it is the technology doing the damage and the power behind it and the mass of the weapon itself would not have that much impact on the cutting action.
Alrik Vas
Knight

if you drop a vibro knife blade down on an MDC surface with a slight curve to it...what happens?

If you drop a vibro great sword on the same surface, what happens?

If you drop a 500lbs vibro-blade you need a Robot PS so high to wield that the punch damage is better than the weapon itself, what does that tell us?

Drastically different versions of the same thing occur because of things like mass.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Actually the question is would the behavior be any different. If the vibro blade makes the blade effectively frictionless then they will all fall at the speed of gravity so basically they will drop until they can't likely by their hilt. So the the long weapon will "penetrate" deeper but the damage they are doing is basically the same its just getting pushed farther. In effect you could cut just as deep if you had a tiny dagger with the least hilt possible could potentially penetrate the farthest of all of them as it would be strictly a matter of when friction/hilts/other impediments blocked its progress.

If the vibro blade is not frictionless in practice then the larger weapon likely penetrates farther but due to larger surface area friction itself becomes a large hinderance.

All one has to do is look at how mega damage punch vs mega damage melee weapons are handled to realize in rifts physical strength when in mega damage combat does not have much of an impact on melee weapon damage at all.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Vibro blades can't be frictionless. If they were they wouldn't deal damage, they'd just destroy things.

In any case, the abstraction of damage is again limiting our ability to have this discussion.

However, if the book says they're frictionless, and we're going to go with that, the bigger, longer weapon would still deal much more damage. Penetration is kill, the larger the penetration area, the more damage is inflicted on an unprotected area.

Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

Thanks everyone for you response's. My reason for asking is have a Robot pilot that likes the Blocker and thinks it would be awesome to wield a chain-sword with the shield.
DenBruce
Newb

Unread post by DenBruce »

sepaking of damage , well i bet its absolutely high damage since its a Giant sized chain saw sword , so maybe its a highly painful weapon..
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

ShadowLogan wrote:

That's how it works with vibro-weapons as a rule as well.
A Vibro-Sword does 2d6 MD, and a Giant Vibro Sword does 3d6 MD.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I actually was rereading NG1 and NG2 and the pit fighters vibro blade already is a giant sized version of the chainsword the thunderhound has. It is basically the power armor claymore version of a chain sword where the thunderhound basically is using a one handed type chainsword.

Return to “Rifts®”