Magic Items for Mrs. Nibbly the squirrel

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RavenStarver
Explorer

Magic Items for Mrs. Nibbly the squirrel

Unread post by RavenStarver »

I'm playing a Wolfen LL-Walker and using the magic rules from Through the Glass Darkly the GM has let me get a familiar.
However I'm paranoid of Mrs. Nibbly the squirrel getting killed, and I want to get her some form of protection.
Does anyone know of any simple protective items I can get? Or what it would cost me to get one put on something like a ribbon.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Magic Items for Mrs. Nibbly the squirrel

Unread post by Bill »

If you don't mind torturing the poor creature, you could pay someone to stitch a dragonbone permanency ward into her skin and cast invulnerability on her. Otherwise, I think your best bet would be to negotiate a custom item with your GM. Pretty much everything in print, either a straight magic item or a techno-wizard device, would require your squirrel to consciously activate it. As long as the item really only prevents the familiar from being vaporized, but doesn't grant you any other advantages, it will probably be acceptable.
RavenStarver
Explorer

Bill wrote:If you don't mind torturing the poor creature, you could pay someone to stitch a dragonbone permanency ward into her skin and cast invulnerability on her. Otherwise, I think your best bet would be to negotiate a custom item with your GM. Pretty much everything in print, either a straight magic item or a techno-wizard device, would require your squirrel to consciously activate it. As long as the item really only prevents the familiar from being vaporized, but doesn't grant you any other advantages, it will probably be acceptable.

That's kinda what I thought, and I could never hurt little Nibs with stitching a symbol to her skin.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

There are several various magical broaches and rings of protection in PF, many of which you could conceivably order in squirrel errrr fairy size.....

If you are using the TtGD book, you could also look into developing a variant of a protective spell that ustilizes the familiar bond as a catalyst and you cast on yourself while buffing the familiar. This would allow you to suffer the pain of that stitching as the ward would be on you not Mrs. Nibbly....
A few other thoughts that come to mind are using the TtGD rules to buff your familiar, supernatural increases to SDC and PE would logically turn them into a minor MDC being which might help.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

There is a character in Rifts: Mercenaries who is a Fairy that was outfitted with a customized, miniature Naruni Force Field. She's one of the members of Robot Control. You could use that and say the character worked it out with a Naruni sales rep to get basically the same thing she has.

If you're using the TtGD rules for Familiars, isn't there an option to give them more S.D.C./H.P.? As a magical enhancement I would think that could translate into Mega-Damage in Rifts.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

RavenStarver wrote:
Bill wrote:If you don't mind torturing the poor creature, you could pay someone to stitch a dragonbone permanency ward into her skin and cast invulnerability on her. Otherwise, I think your best bet would be to negotiate a custom item with your GM. Pretty much everything in print, either a straight magic item or a techno-wizard device, would require your squirrel to consciously activate it. As long as the item really only prevents the familiar from being vaporized, but doesn't grant you any other advantages, it will probably be acceptable.

That's kinda what I thought, and I could never hurt little Nibs with stitching a symbol to her skin.

I could, pass her over.

Bruahahahahahahahaha

*grins maliciously*

8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

A Millenium tree leaf vest/coat.. Armour of Ithan (yeah, I spelt that wrong) talisman would help. Plus the squirrel's small size and mobility will help avoid attacks.
Oh.. a ring or talisman with invisibility:simple or something that increases speed will definitely help.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

eliakon wrote:There are several various magical broaches and rings of protection in PF, many of which you could conceivably order in squirrel errrr fairy size.....

If you are using the TtGD book, you could also look into developing a variant of a protective spell that utilizes the familiar bond as a catalyst and you cast on yourself while buffing the familiar. This would allow you to suffer the pain of that stitching as the ward would be on you not Mrs. Nibbly....
A few other thoughts that come to mind are using the TtGD rules to buff your familiar, supernatural increases to SDC and PE would logically turn them into a minor MDC being which might help.

Maybe a Iron-hide ring (PF2:MB) made in the form of a squirrel collar.

Glistam wrote:snip...
If you're using the TtGD rules for Familiars, isn't there an option to give them more S.D.C./H.P.? As a magical enhancement I would think that could translate into Mega-Damage in Rifts.

TtGD: I would think the Superhuman HP would translate to MDC when the Fam. was in Rifts. Note: both the HP/SDC and the MDC numbers would need to be recorded for the times when outside of the magic rich environments then boost magical beings from HP/SDC to MDC.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Another suggestion: get the little fella a dose of Transfortifiers (Atlantis, p113) which will turn him into an MDC critter for 20+ years.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

A native American 'body fetish' (Book 15: Spirit West) tied to your squirrel could give her extra S.D.C. - a 'major' fetish could turn her H.P. & S.D.C. into M.D.C. Alternatively, different fetishes could provide her with the speed, luck etc. she needs to avoid getting hit.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mack wrote:Another suggestion: get the little fella a dose of Transfortifiers (Atlantis, p113) which will turn him into an MDC critter for 20+ years.

I might be wrong, or just the way I interpret the rules, but doesn't the Familiar have to be an SDC/HP creature given the examples in the Spell abilities. (Granted he is using a custom version of the spell apparently). Turning him/her/it into an MDC creature like that might break the link.

RavenStarver wrote:I'm playing a Wolfen LL-Walker and using the magic rules from Through the Glass Darkly the GM has let me get a familiar.
However I'm paranoid of Mrs. Nibbly the squirrel getting killed, and I want to get her some form of protection.
Does anyone know of any simple protective items I can get? Or what it would cost me to get one put on something like a ribbon.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Not sure why you need to use TtGD, as there is a Familiar Spell you can learn, but a few ideas:
-Get the squirrel their own personal tech equipment (body armor, PA/vehicle, or as previously mentioned naruni force field) customized to account for their small size.
-Could also go TW, though you might need to activate the enchantments or direct the familiar to activate the enchantments or have an "auto" system to engage them as needed (said auto system might need to be activated by you).
-Spells, in general, can be cast onto others, and I would think that the familiar would count. Duration is of course a potential problem.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Just want to say a Wolfen LLW with a squirrel familiar is pretty cool. Nothing constructive here, just wanted to say good concept :)

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

There is a fairy in the Rifts Merc book with a nurni force field belt so that may be one way or Build a harness for blind warrior womans talisman it can where. If the squirrel is on your person your armor spells may protect it.

Off the books custom TW armor for the squirrel or a MDC plastic gerbil ball.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Blue_Lion wrote:a MDC plastic gerbil ball.

This is the best suggestion ever.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
RavenStarver
Explorer

Glistam wrote:

10/10
Would equip again
Blue_Lion
Knight

RavenStarver wrote:
Glistam wrote:

10/10
Would equip again

well was rather obvious choice. Plus seeing a squirrel in a gerbil ball fallow a party around would be funny.

Another choice would be to build a special brute buster PA suit for it.

Mega juicer John- "the worse was the time that girl squirrel broke my arm."
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

For the permanence ward strategy, they have to be a minimum of 1 inch in size. That's not much for things 6 feet tall but for squirrels it might be annoying to lug around.

What kind of squirrel is Mrs. Nibbly? Is she an African Pygmy (2.8–3.9 in long) or Alpine Marmot (21–29 in long)

The imperviousness to energy and savings throw bonuses from invulnerability are good, but since its MDC does not regenerate I might prefer a permanent Invincible Armor, since then as long as the MDC is not totally depleted it can last forever instead of being gradually whittled down to nothing.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Not to engage in Chan behavior, but I saw this pic and thought immediately of this thread:
https://reposti.com/i/m/dL4.jpg

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Blue_Lion
Knight

Don't wards stop working if they move?

Axelmania
Knight

If that were a limitation I think it would be waved for living creatures. The NPC with a bunch of permanence wards in one of the PF world books isn't mentioned as being rooted in place.

Page 121 of PF says it can't be placed on "any portable item that is used frequently" but living creatures probably don't count as items. Plus even that has an exception of "unless the weapon is being put into storage", so if you could classify movement as 'I'm storing it' it appears to be excepted.

It does say that drawing/using/bumping/striking set them off though.

That's all about touch-sensitive stuff though like alarms/effects. Permanence wards are already active and extending a spell so I don't think it matters what you do to them. They're not touch-reactive. They appear to be passive and already-active kind of like a protection-from as opposed to a protection-by.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

slade the sniper wrote:Not to engage in Chan behavior, but I saw this pic and thought immediately of this thread:

-STS

And don't forget the ducks from Runequest.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

CyCo wrote:
slade the sniper wrote:Not to engage in Chan behavior, but I saw this pic and thought immediately of this thread:

-STS

And don't forget the ducks from Runequest.

Or this.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:

Don't wards stop working if they move?

Permanency wards are explicitly said to be able to be put on living creatures to permanently put a specific magical effect on said being. Think of them as the exception that proves the rule.
Though to be fair its more of wards are activated if they go are touched/moved. Since the Permanency ward is already always active it doesn't matter if it is touched or moved or not.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

get one of the staffs from Atlantis, replace the worm (Zahmbak or whatever they are called) with squirrel. Another thing is you can cast the giant growth spell from FoM on her and use her as a mount.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Glistam wrote:

And probably the easiest to do. When combat starts train lil guy to dive into his shell.
Axelmania
Knight

Those things normally twist on from the outside, you'd need a custom ball with handles on the inside and a pet with the dexterity and strength to grab them. A squirrel could manage with the proper training though it might be outside the capability of normal ones, a more-intelligent familiar I could imagine doing it.

Do we have any MDC plastic to use as a guideline? Thinking of the view-port on the Triax Riat Armor's Shield.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Axelmania wrote:Those things normally twist on from the outside, you'd need a custom ball with handles on the inside and a pet with the dexterity and strength to grab them. A squirrel could manage with the proper training though it might be outside the capability of normal ones, a more-intelligent familiar I could imagine doing it.

Do we have any MDC plastic to use as a guideline? Thinking of the view-port on the Triax Riat Armor's Shield.

a transparent/translucent version of the plasticman body armor?
Axelmania
Knight

Despite the name and repair rates being given for as-yet-unidentified plastic MDC armor, The Plastic-Man is actually made out of polycarbonate plate. I think the 'full plastic' might refer to the plasticity of polycarbonates rather than what we think of as plastic to make translucent tupperware.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Have a custom mini-power armor made?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

RavenStarver wrote:

Use anesthetic.

Invulnerability doesn't regenerate lost MDC, though. So it would be of limited use over time.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Mack wrote:Another suggestion: get the little fella a dose of Transfortifiers (Atlantis, p113) which will turn him into an MDC critter for 20+ years.

There ya go.
:ok:

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Glistam wrote:

:ok:

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dogs have been legally considered to be "Deadly Weapons" in the US.
If dogs are deadly weapons, then squirrels logically could be considered deadly weapons as well.

And if a squirrel is a weapon, then you can cast Enchant Weapon (Minor) on it, giving it 50-500 MDC (probably toward the low end of things, since it's based on the weapon's size), and it would inflict x2 it's normal damage as Mega-Damage.

Axelmania
Knight

I don't remember the spell limiting it to inanimate or inorganic objects... I like where this is going.

Could we cast this spell on Mel Gibson and Danny Glover?

Or cast it on fists if there's any truth to that 'limbs count as lethal weapons for martial artists' rumor?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Axelmania wrote:I don't remember the spell limiting it to inanimate or inorganic objects... I like where this is going.

Could we cast this spell on Mel Gibson and Danny Glover?

I'd allow it.
Although Glover might be too old for that ****.

Or cast it on fists if there's any truth to that 'limbs count as lethal weapons for martial artists' rumor?

I might go with that too.

Return to “Rifts®”