How long do you need to wear armor to become "trained" in it

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

IronWarrior
D-Bee
Comment: Never give up, never surrender...unless there is food. -stares- Are you gonna eat that?
Location: on the road to Never Never Land or was it Oz. I can never remember.

Re: How long do you need to wear armor to become "trained" i

Unread post by IronWarrior »

i like where you went with that 13eowulf. a psycho-somatic insanity. it seems appropriate
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:No. It's pointing out there's a third and more likely option. That it was missed in editing and a mistake. It's nothing to do with "head Canon" It has to do with BOOK Canon.

Acting like book canon doesn't holdsway, because of one obscure (Maybe) mistake doesn't make it so.

So what part of the armor is making book canon not hold sway?
Because unless there is something in a book I don't know about that says that TW modified magic items can't do strange stuff....
....there is nothing in the canon to say that these armor's can't work exactly like they do.
You know...because they are TW items and all.
Now if they were saying that regular versions of the armor could be worn sure, you might have a point.
But since they are explicitly TW modified items then claiming that some how they don't actually have oh, I dunno...magical powers seems pretty far fetched and into the realm of "but I don't like that idea, so it must be bad"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I like the idea of armor-wearing being a skill. I think they did this in 4th Ed D&D (actually I think it was a 'Trait' or whatever they called them, lets you ignor penalties) but I don't recall seeing this in GURPS or Palladium.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Axelmania wrote:I like the idea of armor-wearing being a skill. I think they did this in 4th Ed D&D (actually I think it was a 'Trait' or whatever they called them, lets you ignor penalties) but I don't recall seeing this in GURPS or Palladium.

Actualy it has been a class skill since 1st ed D&D. It was a skill that is part of being a class.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Axelmania wrote:I like the idea of armor-wearing being a skill. I think they did this in 4th Ed D&D (actually I think it was a 'Trait' or whatever they called them, lets you ignor penalties) but I don't recall seeing this in GURPS or Palladium.

Actualy it has been a class skill since 1st ed D&D. It was a skill that is part of being a class.

Not so much a skill, but correct. Armor that you could wear (In D&D and on through 2nd Ed AD&D) was determined by your class.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Blue_Lion
Knight

proficient in something is another way to say you are skilled in it.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Thats my point, though, they werent proficiencies either. Just a list of what armor you could wear.

It wasn't until 3rd/d20 that they became "Armor proficiences".
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Thats my point, though, they werent proficiencies either. Just a list of what armor you could wear.

It wasn't until 3rd/d20 that they became "Armor proficiences".

If I recall right it was a list of weapons and armor you where proficient with. But the concept that class X is not trained can't use can be traced back to there.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

4th ed is all I have, you're right the class determines but you could also buy Traits to use heavier armors than your class starts with.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Axelmania wrote:4th ed is all I have, you're right the class determines but you could also buy Traits to use heavier armors than your class starts with.

In 3rd and 3.5 D&D, armor was grouped into light, medium, and heavy and you could take feats to be proficient with them, with medium armor proficiency requiring light armor proficiency and heavy armor proficiency requiring proficiency in both light and medium. Classes then gave you either one, two, all three, or none of the armor proficiency.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

From the 1st Ed rules rmb
Light M.D.C. body armor (seldom wear heavy armor, because it reduces one's speed and mobility by half)

But then again if you don't like the it, you don't have to use it, KevSim made that clear , palladium rules are not set in stone but just guidelines to use. Palladium books is more about the adventures then the nit picking of rules that seems to go on here
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!

Return to “Rifts®”