Fun with Fade Towns

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nox Equites
Explorer

Fun with Fade Towns

Unread post by Nox Equites »

Fade towns make any encounter near a ley line interesting. A few ideas to make them odd.

The town is made of a Master vampire, his Secondary vampire minions, and their cattle.

The townsfolk and any who are there when it shifts are affected my a memory alteration that prevents them from believing that they are in a fade town.

There is a slight time alteration when it shifts so you arrive just before you left previous location. Only really noticeable once you leave.

The town has an official religion that embraces a particular form of Pre-Rifts artifact. A town that worships and collects Anime could be good for some amusement. A town that is run by a twisted collector of horror films can get freaky fast.

The town's cycle is exactly 28 days long making it arrive at a ley line just as a PC caster is taking advantage of a full moon.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Fun with Fade Towns

Unread post by eliakon »

I had a pair of towns (Aston and Clarksdale) that 'time shared' the same location.

I had a fade town (Palpet) that 'migrated' up and down the ley lines (each time it faded it randomly ley line phased to some place on the line. If it ended up on a nexus it would head down a random line next shift)

I had some time screwed ones. One of them 'phased' into a time compression cycle (while out of phase every minute in the town was an hour out side). I could have done the reverse but for game balance reasons never did.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Fun with Fade Towns

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

what about a fade town that doesn't just move along a ey line.. but will relocate to different places around the globe every few months?

a Gm could use such a town to allow their players to do adventures in different parts of the globe.. without them having access to ships, planes, or high end magic to get around.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”