Help me pick a heavy artillery character.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

Help me pick a heavy artillery character.

Unread post by SpiritKitsune7 »

What are some good options? I am thinking of a power armor pilot with an NG-Silent Shadow? Help me pick the second armor? I am also thinking of a Glitter Boy Trooper from Japan with the Hawkeye Glitter Boy from the Japan book? Or should I make a Controller with some automaton's? How many attacks do I have for using two automaton's at a time at level 3? For each automaton and I? Which Automaton's do I want?
dragonfett
Knight

Re: Help me pick a heavy artillery character.

Unread post by dragonfett »

Do you need to be piloting a Robot Vehicle? Because if you are willing to pilot a tank, then there is the Naruni Juggernaut Heavy Hover Tank from Mercenaries. It's main gun has the same range as the GB's Boom Gun, but does far more damage.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

SpiritKitsune7 wrote:What are some good options? I am thinking of a power armor pilot with an NG-Silent Shadow? Help me pick the second armor? I am also thinking of a Glitter Boy Trooper from Japan with the Hawkeye Glitter Boy from the Japan book? Or should I make a Controller with some automaton's? How many attacks do I have for using two automaton's at a time at level 3? For each automaton and I? Which Automaton's do I want?

If you want power armor NG2 has some good options. If you are looking for a glitter boy free quebec/japan/triax have good options.

For NG units I am always a fan of the samson its one of the fast ground power armors in the game and pretty heavily armed/armored and pretty widely available which makes repairs/replacements pretty affordable.

For the controllers I have not read their details in a while for how their attacks break down.

If you want a more magical heavy hitter type you may want to look into lemurian occ's. The almost all have pretty heavy power armor equivilent options as well as having a warmount that is basically as heavily armored as most power armors and pretty hard hitting as well depending which one you chose.
SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

The Juggernaut is too expensive for a vehicle for a starting player. And way too powerful. I can feel my GM feeling upset if he let me have one. I thought that the mercenary book was for GM's so I have not looked much into my mercenary book. Now I wished I looked more into this book. I have fallen in love with the NE-300 OMAV Combat Pod. Did anyone play a character that uses one? What O.C.C's work's well with the combat pod? I am thinking of an NG bush pilot.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

The combat pod is pretty good, yeah. Though I would look into something with a strong direct fire weapon, a grenade launcher and adequate speed. Super SAMAS comes to mind, but I'm not sure how the GM feels about captured CS equipment.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

Are there rules that will let me add a grenade turret to the combat pod and increasing speed? I love the idea of controlling combat drones.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Weapon Engineer skill, or paying an operator. Making out faster would require a lot, some kind of aerospace engineering, something something turbines, something something faster.

Or have a TW enchant it with Supernatural Speed and really get arbitrary.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

kaid wrote:
SpiritKitsune7 wrote:What are some good options? I am thinking of a power armor pilot with an NG-Silent Shadow? Help me pick the second armor? I am also thinking of a Glitter Boy Trooper from Japan with the Hawkeye Glitter Boy from the Japan book? Or should I make a Controller with some automaton's? How many attacks do I have for using two automaton's at a time at level 3? For each automaton and I? Which Automaton's do I want?

If you want power armor NG2 has some good options. If you are looking for a glitter boy free quebec/japan/triax have good options.

For NG units I am always a fan of the samson its one of the fast ground power armors in the game and pretty heavily armed/armored and pretty widely available which makes repairs/replacements pretty affordable.

For the controllers I have not read their details in a while for how their attacks break down.

If you want a more magical heavy hitter type you may want to look into lemurian occ's. The almost all have pretty heavy power armor equivilent options as well as having a warmount that is basically as heavily armored as most power armors and pretty hard hitting as well depending which one you chose.

The rpa in the main book gets two PA the first is according to my book always a ng Samson.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

SpiritKitsune7 wrote:The Juggernaut is too expensive for a vehicle for a starting player. And way too powerful. I can feel my GM feeling upset if he let me have one. I thought that the mercenary book was for GM's so I have not looked much into my mercenary book. Now I wished I looked more into this book. I have fallen in love with the NE-300 OMAV Combat Pod. Did anyone play a character that uses one? What O.C.C's work's well with the combat pod? I am thinking of an NG bush pilot.

I played a tw tanker that had the iron heart main battle tank it may be powerful but requires most the party to be in it. So is more about a powerful team unit instead of just one player. It makes taking not rpa characters more attractive to other players.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

With the OMAV, link to 9 spy drones so each can control 4 Combat Drones for a total of 45 Drones per OMAV is how I do it.

Also though expensive and Not Recommended Using an Uteni Pilot(they are psionic) Amaki Gizmos are a great addition to your Vehicle.
since they are powered by isp not ppe no pesky double cost. Since no limit on Gizmos per Vehicle are listed, you can technically add as many as you can afford. Like all Super Psionics on top of your 45 combat drones.

I retooled a Crescent Moon Delta Wing Space plane so the OMAV locks into position where the pilots compartment once was, added Contragravity packs to the drones(now the fly silently and into space) added heavy cyborg Forcefields to Reach unit.

Still not sure if I Gizmoed up the drones if the vr piloting would allow me to use them from a drone while my OMAV is securely hidden 50 miles away or not.

So my version,
OMAV clicks into modified Spaceplane and the 45 Drones with no altitude limit, heavy Forcefield, and Camoflauge system stealthy drop from the sky nearly invisible on most targets.
Keep the plane at an Altitude of 30,000 feet and above and your pilot, OMAV Spaceplane and Gizmos are relatively safe from most things on Rifts Earth.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The one man army combat pod system is really nifty but it is EXPENSIVE to operate. The drones are best if used as basically expendable but they are so pricey it makes you not really want to expend them. Also given an NA campaign finding places to buy more replacement drones is going to be sketchy at best so not something I could really recommend.

They are amazing in phase world where availability is not as much of an issue and the price can be more easily handled.

Return to “Rifts®”