Psi-Ghost Intangibility Combat Options

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Psi-Ghost Intangibility Combat Options

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

a: moving, using psionics, using magic.
b: yes.
c: use of physical psionics, yes.
d1: Electrokinesis, yes.
d2: Psi-sword ..My answer is no. To keep with the limitations of the Intangibility. In part because the psi-sword has a both a physical effect (can parry physical weapons) and a psionic effects (can affect the insubstantial and spirits).
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Could a Psi-Ghost (or anyone else for that matter) use telekinesis or ectoplasm to maneuver the psi-sword?

I thought I remembered something about you needed to hold the weapon and it vanishing if you let go of it but can't find that in RMB or RUE so I'm not sure if I might be thinking of someone else. Did this get mentioned in some obscure errata? Something relating to not being able to throw them?

*imagining Mind Melters handing out powerful psi-swords to vagabond minions*

I feel kinda bad for the CS. I mean sure, a Psi-Stalker can tell when a psionic power is in use, but can they discern between an active master psi and some paranoid minor sensitive keeping up his mind block all the time?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

Unread post by SpiritKitsune7 »

Will the Psi-Ghost intangibility power allow him or her to rig an explosive device in an enemy's safe from the other side of a wall?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

SpiritKitsune7 wrote:Will the Psi-Ghost intangibility power allow him or her to rig an explosive device in an enemy's safe from the other side of a wall?

no
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SpiritKitsune7 wrote:Will the Psi-Ghost intangibility power allow him or her to rig an explosive device in an enemy's safe from the other side of a wall?

sf was correct in saying no that a char could not assemble a bomb inside a wall safe. however....

Could a char with the intangible super power allow the char to plant a bomb inside a safe without opening the safe? Yes. So long as the chars sets everything up before placing the bomb. dropped items become solid again.

Could they grab stuff out of a safe? if it is not a room safe no. The char needs the space for the char's whole body to become solid before grabbing whatever is in the safe.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

jimflory wrote:So, I'm pretty clear on the PG's Intangibility; costs an action to ghost, and one to un-ghost, susceptible to electricity, sonic, gas, and psi attacks.
But, what sort of options are available while ghosted?
Can a PG use psi against someone?

Yes. Sensitive psionics should work just fine. Likewise, powers like Bio-Manipulation should work.
jimflory wrote:Use psi to interact with the fully tangible world in any way?

Yes. Telekinesis would work.
I would not allow powers where the user must touch the target (Healing Touch, Mind Wipe...)
jimflory wrote:What about things like psi-sword or electronkinesis?

I would not allow powers like Ectoplasm or Psi-Sword since they have to emanate from the character... they'd also be intangible. But I would allow the character to be intangible, summon a Psi-Sword, then become tangible and have the Psi-Sword ready for action.
Electrokinesis... partial. I wouldn't allow the attacks, but would allow the user to manipulate or sense. The resistance ability would be useful considering that's one of the character's few vulnerabilities.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Where does it talk about Psi-sword emanating from a user?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SpiritInterface
Hero

Tor wrote:Where does it talk about Psi-sword emanating from a user?

With the range as self in both Rifts page 126 and RUE page 180 it is inferred.
Veni Vidi Vici
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Isn't range simply for the distance you need to be to activate the power?

The range is 'Touch' for Mentally Possess Others but that doesn't mean you need to keep touching the person's body to maintain the power, you can leave your body behind and move around in the new one once it's up. Same with Mind Wipe or Mind Bond, the durations of effect maintains even after touch is broken, so long as you're touching when you activate it.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Tor wrote:I thought I remembered something about you needed to hold the weapon and it vanishing if you let go of it but can't find that in RMB or RUE so I'm not sure if I might be thinking of someone else. Did this get mentioned in some obscure errata? Something relating to not being able to throw them?

Greetings and Salutations. You could be remembering the lines from PF2 and HU2 (possibly others as well) that has a specific line about not being able to hand it to others. This comes directly after the section about being knocked unconscious (causing it to vanish) or dispelling it at will. By coming immediately after, and stating how it can't be handed to another, it links the sentences together. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

Note: Megaversalists vs. Setting Purists can argue if this applies or not, I could careless what other people do. However I do recommend further discussions about the psi-sword topic be moved to its own, separate topic instead of trying to rudely hi-jack another person's thread. Yes, I participated in this, and I feel shame. Moving along now ...
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

OP asked about psi-swords, we're doing that, not seeing the hi-jack. Thanks for pointing out the text, didn't know about the difference.

Nightbane Between the Shadows appears to resemble Rifts in lacking this text you've pointed out on HU2p313 and PF2p178.

Figure I'll quote it exactly for analysis, if OP opts to apply this to Rifts as well. This is a valid concern, particularly since HU2 suggests utilizing Psi-Ghosts from Rifts in HU.

If the psychic is knocked unconscious, the weapon disappears.
Likewise, the character can willingly dispel the weapon with a thought;
it cannot be given to another character to use.

I omitted the parenthesized reminder that it costs 30 ISP to create a new one since that's obvious and distracting and seems irrelevant...

The use of the semicolon is a bit confusing to me, but I'm not sure how to take this 'link' you're describing.

The 2nd line "likewise" seems to just talk about another way the weapon disappears.

Even if these were linked there's no explanation of how though so I can't really draw conclusions...

Plus the inability to give it to other characters doesn't say anything about whether you can operate it yourself using TK or ectoplasm or while intangible.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

In the Spirit West worldbook in the Mystic Warrior CC has a Psi-Spear that can be thrown. The text of the power description supports that psi-swords can not be thrown.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

None of which really matters....
The sword would be intangible with the Psi-Ghost and thus held by him or not it would still only affect other intangible things.

Which is the only bit of this that applies to this thread. The question of if the sword could or could not be remotely wielded, while most likely a fascinating one to consider has no relevance to the intangibility.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Tor wrote:Isn't range simply for the distance you need to be to activate the power?

The range is 'Touch' for Mentally Possess Others but that doesn't mean you need to keep touching the person's body to maintain the power, you can leave your body behind and move around in the new one once it's up. Same with Mind Wipe or Mind Bond, the durations of effect maintains even after touch is broken, so long as you're touching when you activate it.

Range touch means that you need to touch the target. With a range of self implies that the blade of the Psi Sword emanates from the users body, usually the hand but there is no reason it couldn't emanate from a foot, groin, forehead...
Veni Vidi Vici
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant

Return to “Rifts®”