Bio-Borg Expiration Date

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Bio-Borg Expiration Date

Unread post by Swift-13 »

In Splynn Dimensional Market, the section on creating Bio-Borgs states that parasites/symbiotes with a short lifespan are extended to the lifespan of the Bio-Borg. Now, I was wondering: should that keep ones such as the Spinetwister or Black Claw from causing their horrible side-effects? I'm also rather curious about the Heart Worms, since they devour the heart after a certain time period, rather than an upon-death cause.
Remember who you wanted to be.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Re: Bio-Borg Expiration Date

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Not a bad idea, maybe it would extend the side-effects out over time?

Or maybe they are just options which wouldn't be used due to the side-effects?
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

FatherMorpheus wrote:Not a bad idea, maybe it would extend the side-effects out over time?

Or maybe they are just options which wouldn't be used due to the side-effects?

I mentioned those in particular due to them being on the Bio-Borg random tables in Splynn Dimensional Market. They have short lifespans, but don't offer an uber-boost of power like the Para-Sym Transformer (awesome, non-cosmic power; 48 hours to enjoy it).
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

I don't have the book in front of me, but are the side effects nasty enough to counter the whole idea of being a bio-borg?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Swift-13 wrote:In Splynn Dimensional Market, the section on creating Bio-Borgs states that parasites/symbiotes with a short lifespan are extended to the lifespan of the Bio-Borg. Now, I was wondering: should that keep ones such as the Spinetwister or Black Claw from causing their horrible side-effects? I'm also rather curious about the Heart Worms, since they devour the heart after a certain time period, rather than an upon-death cause.

No, it dosn't, it just means you live longer suffering from it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

I need to review Bio-Borgs again. Previously I only used them as an NPC Villain type so I was able to play a little more loose with the rules. Are your questions around a PC playing one? If that is the case, maybe you need to stack it up against a Juicer and just know that things will go badly quickly the more you downplay the side-effects.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I like the idea of Splynn, and really the whole of Splynncryth's empire, embracing a culture where life is typically cheap and using bioborgs as more or less disposable shock-troops. I think that is a little problematic from the perspective that they're very expensive. Inflation could be applied to explain that. Even though a bioborg costs up to four-million credits, maybe that's just pocket change for a minion in good standing?
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Bill wrote:I like the idea of Splynn, and really the whole of Splynncryth's empire, embracing a culture where life is typically cheap and using bioborgs as more or less disposable shock-troops. I think that is a little problematic from the perspective that they're very expensive. Inflation could be applied to explain that. Even though a bioborg costs up to four-million credits, maybe that's just pocket change for a minion in good standing?

I would see Bio-Borgs as more of heavy troopers or squad leaders and using the Maxi-Killer Bio-Wizard Juicer's as shock troops. While the costs aren't listed for the Maxi-Killer, It has to be cheaper than a full on Bio-Borg.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Bill wrote:I like the idea of Splynn, and really the whole of Splynncryth's empire, embracing a culture where life is typically cheap and using bioborgs as more or less disposable shock-troops. I think that is a little problematic from the perspective that they're very expensive. Inflation could be applied to explain that. Even though a bioborg costs up to four-million credits, maybe that's just pocket change for a minion in good standing?

The cost of 4 million is to sell them to people who are not-splynn. it's entirely possible that bio-borgs are dirt cheep to make, but he charges an arm and a leg because he's the only game in town. That's the power of the splurgorth having an exclusive megaversal monopoly on them. It's likely that there are entire planets where the component species and microbes are mass grown/cloned by the trillions, but because only the splurgorth know how, they can charge millions for something that costs them next to nothing. It would explain how each individual splurgorth has wealth that dwarfs everyone else.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

I can see dropping a disposable parasite on a random slave for a temporary boost. Something like a Black Claw or Beastifier for whatever reason the owner wants. A full Bio-Borg on the market might likely be something of a long-term investment, especially if (as according to the book) they compete for sales with T-Men.

In my opinion, permanently bonding parasites with a short lifespan, like the ones mentioned above, wouldn't negate the other downsides of being a Bio-Borg. For example, a full Bio-Borg with a Spine Twister 'might' not end up with a "full Quasimodo." But they still have to deal with horrible living conditions, cruelty, insanity, inhuman/monstrous appearance. Some Sym-Killer might have a heart of gold and a zen-like demeanor, but most people, human or D-bee, will not likely accept him beyond face value (what passes for a face on a Sym-Killer, anyway).
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

FatherMorpheus wrote:

I would see Bio-Borgs as more of heavy troopers or squad leaders and using the Maxi-Killer Bio-Wizard Juicer's as shock troops. While the costs aren't listed for the Maxi-Killer, It has to be cheaper than a full on Bio-Borg.

Actually, as I understand it, bio borgs are disposable muscle, fodder for the arena and violent combat... leaders would be trusties like Tattooed Maxi men or lesser minions like Power Lords or Kittani.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Well, really, just about everything is disposable in a Splugorth arena.

Return to “Rifts®”