Shadow updates included in pdfs?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Proseksword
Adventurer

Shadow updates included in pdfs?

Unread post by Proseksword »

I know a number of the older sourcebooks have been getting stat tweaks following RIFTs Ultimate Edition to bring them more in line with the current sourcebooks.

Can anyone confirm if the stealth updates are included in the new .pdfs of older books like Atlantis available at DriveThruRPG? There's no way I'm buying another full-price sourcebook for a few added perception bonuses, but I don't have .pdfs for these books, and at half cover price I'd probably consider them.....
cchopps
Adventurer

Re: Shadow updates included in pdfs?

Unread post by cchopps »

Proseksword wrote:I know a number of the older sourcebooks have been getting stat tweaks following RIFTs Ultimate Edition to bring them more in line with the current sourcebooks.

Can anyone confirm if the stealth updates are included in the new .pdfs of older books like Atlantis available at DriveThruRPG? There's no way I'm buying another full-price sourcebook for a few added perception bonuses, but I don't have .pdfs for these books, and at half cover price I'd probably consider them.....

This rumor has been going around for years, but has never been confirmed. The most common *claim* is that newer printings of Atlantis have Perception bonuses for True Atlanteans. None of my local gaming stores have it in stock, so I have never been able to check.

C. Chopps
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

cchopps wrote:
Proseksword wrote:I know a number of the older sourcebooks have been getting stat tweaks following RIFTs Ultimate Edition to bring them more in line with the current sourcebooks.

This rumor has been going around for years, but has never been confirmed. The most common *claim* is that newer printings of Atlantis have Perception bonuses for True Atlanteans. None of my local gaming stores have it in stock, so I have never been able to check.

C. Chopps

I can't confirm Atlantis, but both Juicer Uprising and Coalition War Campaign have been shadow updated.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

While I hope they update their PDFs as such, something tells me they don't, considering the only erratas that are posted on their website don't seem to have been updated recently.

What would be nice is if they posted a PDF of the shadow updates and erratas for each book they've corrected so we could download them here.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The Beast wrote:While I hope they update their PDFs as such, something tells me they don't, considering the only erratas that are posted on their website don't seem to have been updated recently.

What would be nice is if they posted a PDF of the shadow updates and erratas for each book they've corrected so we could download them here.

But if they did that then you wouldn't have to buy the book in order to get the updates.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The most frustrating part of this is that I WOULD buy the updated books....if I was certain which ones they were, and what was updated....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The Palladium Store or wherever they distribute E-books including a "nth printing, MONTH, YEAR" label would be a good minimum, since then at least we could match this up with claims of other people who have that edition.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I can confirm that there are changes from the early Atlantis printings and the Atlantis PDF. I bought the PDF just to check on this.

I havent fully gone page by page, line by line. But most monsters and RCCs have updated number of attacks. True Atlanteans do not have Perception Bonuses, though that is a thing I have seen added in other shadow updates (CWC & JU).

Also to note, instead of "nth printing, MONTH, YEAR" the Atlantis book has "PDF Edition, MONTH, YEAR"
Oderint Dum Metuant.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Palladium REALLY needs to start posting exactly how the 'Shadow Updates' affect the game...
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

Would the moderators here be okay if the fans started collecting the shadow updates in a thread here for everyone to refer to? I can understand if Palladium's staff is too busy working on actual upcoming product, but I should think the fans should be able to collect it, sort of like the RIFTs Ultimate Edition errata......
FluidicAztec
Explorer

Unread post by FluidicAztec »

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while. I would replace my books every few years if I knew the current printing. The only way to know is when PB announces on the home page the reprinting of a book. I do wish the store showed the current printing. I think a page like what Nexus Nine has for the Rifters would be cool. Something that simply shows the book and current printing.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

One would assume the PDF will be based off what the current printing of the book so should include any/all updates/errata/bug fixes done.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

kaid wrote:One would assume the PDF will be based off what the current printing of the book so should include any/all updates/errata/bug fixes done.

Except for older books, where they only have scanned copies.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Tiree wrote:
kaid wrote:One would assume the PDF will be based off what the current printing of the book so should include any/all updates/errata/bug fixes done.

Well one would assume they would still be using the latest information printing that they have for the book they are doing a .pdf of unless that information was lost/destroyed since the last time that book was reprinted.
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

kaid wrote:
Tiree wrote:

Well one would assume they would still be using the latest information printing that they have for the book they are doing a .pdf of unless that information was lost/destroyed since the last time that book was reprinted.

Blame the "Crisis of Treachery". From what I understand it wasn't till the mid 2000's that PB stopped marking books up using boards and paper, and switched to electronic format. So even for later printings they are scanned, lost, stolen, or destroyed.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I can confirm hard copies of Atlantis, CWC, JU, and Free Quebec have Shadow Updates. No idea if the PDFs follow suit.

Its of note, Atlantis was the first and didnt quite have all the Shadow Update info in it the subsequent products. Foe example, every SU refers to RUE under secondary skills, except Atlantis which uses the RMB method of secondary skills.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Proseksword wrote:Would the moderators here be okay if the fans started collecting the shadow updates in a thread here for everyone to refer to? I can understand if Palladium's staff is too busy working on actual upcoming product, but I should think the fans should be able to collect it, sort of like the RIFTs Ultimate Edition errata......

Since Palladium will not post eratta of Shadow Updates, and KS told me he didnt want people to feel like they had to repurchase the books, I think we should just post it ourselves and people can pencil in the changes. In the modern age where you are not necessarily playing with the same core groups of friends over table top anymore, its important for all players to have the same reference materials.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kagashi wrote:I can confirm hard copies of Atlantis, CWC, JU, and Free Quebec have Shadow Updates. No idea if the PDFs follow suit.

Its of note, Atlantis was the first and didnt quite have all the Shadow Update info in it the subsequent products. Foe example, every SU refers to RUE under secondary skills, except Atlantis which uses the RMB method of secondary skills.

I can confirm that for Atlantis the PDF still uses the RMB method for Secondary skills, so I would venture to say that the 'most recent' hard copy version of Atlantis with the shadow updates is what was used for the PDF.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

13eowulf wrote:
Kagashi wrote:I can confirm hard copies of Atlantis, CWC, JU, and Free Quebec have Shadow Updates. No idea if the PDFs follow suit.

I can confirm that for Atlantis the PDF still uses the RMB method for Secondary skills, so I would venture to say that the 'most recent' hard copy version of Atlantis with the shadow updates is what was used for the PDF.

How much MDC does the PDF say the Sunaj Assassin Environmental Armor has? If its 130, then you have a Shadow Update.
Updated Aug 2015
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kagashi wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

How much MDC does the PDF say the Sunaj Assassin Environmental Armor has? If its 130, then you have a Shadow Update.

Yep, 130, not 110.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I just don't get why, if Palladium wants to do these updates, why they don't make them more apparent. Like "as of xxxPA the Splugorth have added 20 MDC to the armor, to counter the growing Coalition threat" or something. It'd be easier enough to explain updates, instead of hiding them from us and creating a massively inconsistent setting.

It's almost where it'd be easier to declare a game as "first printings of world books only" so at least everything's guaranteed same.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

It may be annoying that they do not post the errata and changes, but as I understand it one of the reason they do not is they do not want you to fill like you need to buy a new copy of an book.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Blue_Lion wrote:It may be annoying that they do not post the errata and changes, but as I understand it one of the reason they do not is they do not want you to fill like you need to buy a new copy of an book.

That is one interpretation. The other interpretation is that they don't give you the changes, so you will purchase a second, third, fifth eighteenth copy of the same book.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tiree wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:It may be annoying that they do not post the errata and changes, but as I understand it one of the reason they do not is they do not want you to fill like you need to buy a new copy of an book.

That is one interpretation. The other interpretation is that they don't give you the changes, so you will purchase a second, third, fifth eighteenth copy of the same book.

If that were true then they would identify/notify that there were updates/changes made. As it is they do not, which lends credence to the idea of not wanting people to feel like they need a new book.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Except by not posting the errata I now need to do exactly that if I want the corrected information. :nh:
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

The Beast wrote:

Except by not posting the errata I now need to do exactly that if I want the corrected information. :nh:

Or you could just go 'hey I don't require that to run a game, not like those little changes really matter in the long run to feel like you have to have every single change listed and have to incorporate them as soon as any are made'.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Nightmask wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Or you could just go 'hey I don't require that to run a game, not like those little changes really matter in the long run to feel like you have to have every single change listed and have to incorporate them as soon as any are made'.

Until that GM in a Play by Post game whom physically resides in Alaska reviews a players character sheet who physically resides in Paris France and notices the auto dodge bonuses of that mega juicer is way off what he is expecting to see or the fact that that Mega Juicer too Boxing as a secondary skill. Or the player wonders why the Splugorth Slavers seem to have an extra 3 attacks per melee round from what he is reading in his book.

Remember, today is a day where gaming does not always take place in a basement on a Saturday morning with a collective library of the same six friends every week. We all have our own libraries these days and it would be nice to know what page everybody was on.

Posting errata would fix that. Those whom want to spend the money on the newer printing will. Those who do not want to spend the cash will just write in the changes.

This is exactly how you update pubs in aviation. You receive a notification that there was a change and you literally pencil it in with the notification number next to it.

Anyway, Palladium already has some errata posted from a ways back...just keep posting it.
Updated Aug 2015
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Tiree wrote:

Star Wars: Extended Directors Blu-ray Super Edition syndrome.
Updated Aug 2015
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nightmask wrote:Or you could just go 'hey I don't require that to run a game, not like those little changes really matter in the long run to feel like you have to have every single change listed and have to incorporate them as soon as any are made'.

This works well enough for IRL games where you might have a GM owning a set of books and the players going by those, but with online gaming (whether chatroom/IM or PBP) where everyone has their own set of books then these inconsistencies matter.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Kagashi wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Until that GM in a Play by Post game whom physically resides in Alaska reviews a players character sheet who physically resides in Paris France and notices the auto dodge bonuses of that mega juicer is way off what he is expecting to see or the fact that that Mega Juicer too Boxing as a secondary skill. Or the player wonders why the Splugorth Slavers seem to have an extra 3 attacks per melee round from what he is reading in his book.

Remember, today is a day where gaming does not always take place in a basement on a Saturday morning with a collective library of the same six friends every week. We all have our own libraries these days and it would be nice to know what page everybody was on.

Posting errata would fix that. Those whom want to spend the money on the newer printing will. Those who do not want to spend the cash will just write in the changes.

This is exactly how you update pubs in aviation. You receive a notification that there was a change and you literally pencil it in with the notification number next to it.

Anyway, Palladium already has some errata posted from a ways back...just keep posting it.

Armies hard copy TM are in three ring binder format so that you can just replace the pages that changed. (Most now are in electronic form so updated easer.)

But yea it would reduce confusion and some would buy the new book and some would just add in notes about the errata.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

13eowulf wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

Yep, 130, not 110.

:x

Wow. I am actually really mad. Really mad. I guess part of me has been hoping it was just rumors. I've never seen someone put out an actual specific change. How can they not post an errata or changelog? That is standard practice and doesn't make anyone feel the need to go buy a new book. Making changes and not posting the log does that, because then you don't know *what* has changed. If you have a log then you can use your old book, but reference the document for updates.

I defend Palladium and Rifts every chance I get. I love the Palladium games and the worlds. It has had a huge impact on my life and I own just about every physical book they have ever published. I've been accused of being a Palladium apologist more times than I can count and have always felt that was BS... but now for the very first time in 23 years I feel truly let down.

Damn. Sorry guys.

C. Chopps
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

cchopps wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

Yep, 130, not 110.

:x

Wow. I am actually really mad. Really mad. I guess part of me has been hoping it was just rumors. I've never seen someone put out an actual specific change. How can they not post an errata or changelog? That is standard practice and doesn't make anyone feel the need to go buy a new book. Making changes and not posting the log does that, because then you don't know *what* has changed. If you have a log then you can use your old book, but reference the document for updates.

I defend Palladium and Rifts every chance I get. I love the Palladium games and the worlds. It has had a huge impact on my life and I own just about every physical book they have ever published. I've been accused of being a Palladium apologist more times than I can count and have always felt that was BS... but now for the very first time in 23 years I feel truly let down.

Damn. Sorry guys.

C. Chopps

I *think* I understand where Palladium is coming from. Though while I agree that more errata should be posted, the books as-is can still be used to play, none of the changes are that grand.
I dont even need the errata though, all I want is a list of books that have had stats changes. That way people can decide if they want to buy the updated one or not.
Oderint Dum Metuant.

Return to “Rifts®”