Best ways to modify a human?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Best ways to modify a human?

Unread post by tsh77769 »

"A robot could be designed to look completely human, right down to synthetic skin and looking like a specific person. If it has a "Transferred Intelligence" then someone else (possibly the one the robot was designed to look like) actually transfers their consciousness into the robot. If that person has magic or psionics, they can continue to use them but with their energy pools cut in half."

Where does it say this? That doesn't seem to make logical sense (like anything palladium does) because a full conversion borg looses all psionics and magic.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

tsh77769 wrote:"A robot could be designed to look completely human, right down to synthetic skin and looking like a specific person. If it has a "Transferred Intelligence" then someone else (possibly the one the robot was designed to look like) actually transfers their consciousness into the robot. If that person has magic or psionics, they can continue to use them but with their energy pools cut in half."

Where does it say this? That doesn't seem to make logical sense (like anything palladium does) because a full conversion borg looses all psionics and magic.

In Sourcebook 1, in the Robot R.C.C., this is discussed in regards to the Transferred Intelligence. However, upon a more recent review, only certain psionics are carried over, and the I.S.P. pool is indeed cut in half. Regarding P.P.E. and magic, I don't recall it saying, so I might have missed it or I might have mis-remembered it.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

Umm.....what a out the sea titan they were and still human until puberty.I don't have my book handy but they were changed by a strange light.who's to say it couldn't happen to anyone?
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

batlchip wrote:Umm.....what a out the sea titan they were and still human until puberty.I don't have my book handy but they were changed by a strange light.who's to say it couldn't happen to anyone?

The original handful were changed by an underwater Rift event and the rest inherit the abilities (so the number of them is slowly growing), there isn't however any reason more couldn't be created by another random rift event (after all some rifts tend to cycle between locations so not impossible for a rift to repeat what that rift did).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Nightmask wrote:
batlchip wrote:Umm.....what a out the sea titan they were and still human until puberty.I don't have my book handy but they were changed by a strange light.who's to say it couldn't happen to anyone?

The original handful were changed by an underwater Rift event and the rest inherit the abilities (so the number of them is slowly growing), there isn't however any reason more couldn't be created by another random rift event (after all some rifts tend to cycle between locations so not impossible for a rift to repeat what that rift did).

That so called 'rift' was a combination of an experiment that can't be duplicated and other events (which escape me at the moment and being that I should be getting to bed for work in the morning...), that created a unique event that can't be duplicated.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Slight001 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

That so called 'rift' was a combination of an experiment that can't be duplicated and other events (which escape me at the moment and being that I should be getting to bed for work in the morning...), that created a unique event that can't be duplicated.

Even if that were true (and certainly I remember none of that being what produced the rift that empowered the original humans) the inability to duplicate it doesn't mean it can't happen again under different circumstances.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Tor wrote:
Kagashi wrote:Check out my super vagabond I made with the help of other posters. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=141295

This particular guy is an ogre, but you can easily turn him into a human if need be.

He basically has max cybernetics (psinetics), tattoos, and symbiotes and knows Tae Kwan Do and is all Rifts legal. Max augmentation with min penalties.

I recall N&SS mentioning TKD is one art that could've survived the Rifts but it didn't give guidelines on its skill cost like it did for HU chars, which did you use?

*thinks Boogie-Men make the best vagabonds due to 'eyeball a fella' being so apt*

I think I arbitrarily used 6 secondary skills due to lack of official direction and conjecture from other sources (HU2).
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Education, diet, exercise, and religion.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
SummerRider
D-Bee

Unread post by SummerRider »

Hotrod wrote:Education, diet, exercise, and religion.

I think Hotrod wins.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

SummerRider wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Education, diet, exercise, and religion.

I think Hotrod wins.

He has my vote.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

GM perogative
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

42dragon wrote:GM perogative

Dammit, that beats out my "Clean eraser and careful penmanship." :wink:
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tsh77769 »

13eowulf said…

-Systems Failure: While here why not take your non-master-psi powered self and get some NORAD Psi Training (available without switching OCCs!)

I went and bought the book used on Amazon, just for this. It turns out that it appears as though 13eowulf was mistaken on this one regarding not having to take an OCC or change OCC’s.

-Nightbane Survival Guide: Roll for your SPecial Aptitude Bonus (also available in Robotech 2nd Ed books, and Dead Reign)

-Dead Reign Main Book - Half-Living add-on

I went and bought Dead reign from DriveThru RPG just for these two items. The half living is not an OCC add on. It is an OCC in and of itself.

-Rifts World Bood 07: Underseas: Sea Inquisitor O.C.C. add on

This is not an OCC add on. It is an OCC in and of itself.

-Rifts Dimension Book 11 Dyvall: Caught By Deevils, the Bio-Vats for you, good luck.

Bought this one on DriveThruRPG.com. The book claims that the Bio-Vats in Dyvall are better thatn those in Atlantis. The text does not support this. It sucks, and the book overall sucks too.

-Rifts Dimension Book 12 Dimensional Outbreak: Do the rounds of the Educational Themepark, come away with skills and other bonuses.

Bought this one on DriveThruRPG.com. I liked it the education theme park section. Not so much the rest of the book
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

*13eowulf is stirred from his slumber by the voices coming from his phone telling him a new email has arrived. It takes a moment to recognize the Monty Python audio quip used as the notification tone, eliciting a curse at himself for not turning off non-call notifications before slipping into sweet slumber.
What's this?! Munchkin cred being called into question!
13eowulf rushes to relieve the copious amounts of Iced Tea he shouldn't have had before his overnight hibernation.
Being up now, he decides to address the post that generated the email which caused the Holy Grail audio to wake him."

tsh77769 wrote:13eowulf said…
-Systems Failure: While here why not take your non-master-psi powered self and get some NORAD Psi Training (available without switching OCCs!)

I went and bought the book used on Amazon, just for this. It turns out that it appears as though 13eowulf was mistaken on this one regarding not having to take an OCC or change OCC’s.

Per page 21 of Systems Failure both Major and Minor psychics can be any OCC.
Per page 98 we know that NORAD psychics can go rogue, and/or independent. We also know that despite the name ‘NORAD Psychic O.C.C.’ that there are independent Psychic characters.
We also know that psychics that were formerly independent can be taken in and trained by NORAD.
The text under the abilities and bonuses section states “Note: All NORAD trained Minor Psychics get *snip*” and “All NORAD trained Major Psychics get *snip”
Combining these pieces of information it can be inferred that it is possible to get this training, but still not be this O.C.C.
Will most GM’s allow this? Probably not. You forgot the part of my post where it mentioned reading with your ‘munchkin glasses’ on.
That said, still not strictly incorrect, just creative interpretation, to the dark side of character creation. Not strictly correct either. Certainly not mistaken though.

tsh77769 wrote:-Nightbane Survival Guide: Roll for your SPecial Aptitude Bonus (also available in Robotech 2nd Ed books, and Dead Reign)

... kay?

tsh77769 wrote:-Dead Reign Main Book - Half-Living add-on

I went and bought Dead reign from DriveThru RPG just for these two items. The half living is not an OCC add on. It is an OCC in and of itself.

*shrugs*
I called it an add-on, I still view it as such, it is something you can do to a character after it is created.
It was also under the ‘other’ section where I noted I hadn’t used yet. It still technically answers the original question regarding ways to modify a human.

tsh77769 wrote:-Rifts World Bood 07: Underseas: Sea Inquisitor O.C.C. add on

This is not an OCC add on. It is an OCC in and of itself.

More accurately this is a bit of a mess, and if you ask 7 GMs what it is you will get 15 answers.
It is an O.C.C. but isn’t. You still have to choose a starting O.C.C. (from the Scholar or Adventurer O.C.C.s or a Psychic class). Additionally there is at least one part where it switches from referring to itself as an O.C.C. and calls itself an R.C.C.
And if you actually read the entire text of the Sea Inquisitor it (to me at least) it reads as if it is supposed to be an add-on while still being called an O.C.C.
There is another O.C.C. on my list, the Half-Wizard. You also start off being another O.C.C. there, but you still retain your original O.C.C. as well.
To me this is how the Sea Inquisitor reads.
It could probably benefit from some errata or a revision. In the end it comes down to interpretation. It is both an O.C.C. add-on, and an O.C.C.
(For the record, there is no official thing called an O.C.C. add-on, it doesn’t exist, it was just the term I used in the list).

tsh77769 wrote:-Rifts Dimension Book 11 Dyvall: Caught By Deevils, the Bio-Vats for you, good luck.

Bought this one on DriveThruRPG.com. The book claims that the Bio-Vats in Dyvall are better thatn those in Atlantis. The text does not support this. It sucks, and the book overall sucks too.

I never said the book was good. I never said it was bad either. I didn’t comment at all regarding the quality of the book. Nor did I present the claim that its Bio-Vats were better than those of Atlantis.
As for the Vats themselves sucking.
If, in order, you roll 91-95%, 86-90%, 86-90% (again), you can wind up with almost half the listed positive results if you max the D4 rolls. So I wouldn’t say that this ‘sucks’ compared to Atlantis, just different.
(Again, I refer back to my comment about reading this with your Munchkin Glasses on).

tsh77769 wrote:-Rifts Dimension Book 12 Dimensional Outbreak: Do the rounds of the Educational Themepark, come away with skills and other bonuses.

Bought this one on DriveThruRPG.com. I liked it the education theme park section. Not so much the rest of the book

Since I only referenced the Theme Park I will call this one a win.

THAT said, really? Demons in space? Demon Knights? Demonic TW armaments? Demon Magic? What’s not to love?
Actually looking at this now, it kinda seems like a Shifter’s wet dream. One good binding and a bunch of follow-up pacts and you got yourself a demon crew on a demon space ship!

And hey, look at that, two more ways to modify humans (bringing this back to the OP).
Lesser Demonic Mortals and Greater Demonic Mortals. (Technically three if you count Demon Knights in there, I don’t).
Oderint Dum Metuant.

Return to “Rifts®”