Regarding the Coalition's Skeleton Motif

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Regarding the Coalition's Skeleton Motif

Unread post by Glistam »

I just had a short conversation with a friend at work about the Coalition's use of skeletons in their robots and armor.

Him: Only bad guys use skeleton robots. The only things afraid of skeleton robots? Humans. "Hey! it's was the 80s" is the only excuse.
    Me: Monsters and demons like to think they can just kill humans wantonly. They slaughter, they consume, and they leave the broken bones of the fallen behind. The skeleton motif in the soldiers and robots is a statement. "Even reduced to bones, humanity will still fight back." It's also a metaphor, since humanity nearly went extinct - it was at a "bare bones" level of population before it began to rebound.
    Him: Did you just come up with that?
    Me: Yes.
    Him: /slowclap

Now, I thought there was an explanation of some kind given in the books, but I don't recall it right now. I doubt it was what I threw out in our conversation, above. I just thought I'd share and collect other's thoughts on the matter. Why does the Coalition use a skull and skeleton motif in its designs, when it's trying to strike fear in the enemies of humanity? Would they find skulls and bones frightening?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Regarding the Coalition's Skeleton Motif

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Not bad.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Yes, actually disappointed the cs isn't a huge death cult.
Js.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Not bad.

Yup.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

say652 wrote:Yes, actually disappointed the cs isn't a huge death cult.
Js.

What makes you think that they aren't? They're dedicated to killing every non-human, spell-caster, and human that doesn't serve them and have engaged in acts of random murder all the way up to genocide against an entire city's population. Can't get much more death cult than that.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Interesting thought. Though a death cult sacrifices in ceremony and believe that the death itself is the thing. Even an organization like the Coalition States doesn't want to sacrifice their own troops to Death itself. That sounds like some kind of magic type thing.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Maybe the undefeatable Coalition just got explained.
They are in fact a "death cult" instead of ceremonies its 15 joules to the domepiece.
Nightmask
Palladin

Alrik Vas wrote:Interesting thought. Though a death cult sacrifices in ceremony and believe that the death itself is the thing. Even an organization like the Coalition States doesn't want to sacrifice their own troops to Death itself. That sounds like some kind of magic type thing.

One can be dedicated to death for more reasons than that, and they don't all require a ceremony other than simply bringing about death. The CS is dedicated to dealing death to billions of innocent beings, they may not have ceremonies and the like of your average death cult but they certainly revel in death and their goals including spreading death to all that don't serve them.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I disagree, but you can assume whatever you like. Free minds and all.

Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

It is blatantly stolen from the Waffen SS uniforms brought to an extreme.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Alrik Vas wrote:Interesting thought. Though a death cult sacrifices in ceremony and believe that the death itself is the thing. Even an organization like the Coalition States doesn't want to sacrifice their own troops to Death itself. That sounds like some kind of magic type thing.

Bigger picture, more subtle magics. That's the deep dark secret. Everybody thinks of ritual magic as the sort you can wrap your mind around in terms of 'large roiom' or 'stadium'.
No, the HEAVY old magicks take place on a larger scale, so large even the participants might not be aware that they're in the middle of it. :twisted:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Nox Equites wrote:It is blatantly stolen from the Waffen SS uniforms brought to an extreme.

'Strictly Stinkers'. Yep, nice of them to designate themselves so blatantly as The Nasties.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Nox Equites wrote:It is blatantly stolen from the Waffen SS uniforms brought to an extreme.

to a degree. the SS loved deathsheads logo's.
but the SS in turn took it from the Totenkopf insignia used by Prussian/german units in the 18th and 19th centuries.
it's been used as the insignia of elite soldiers and german stormtroopers since the 1700's.

the SS version is probably the origin of the CS's choice of symbol, since the SS also used the twin lighting bolts on their imagry (since lighting bolts resembled their "double sig-rune" common insignia/intitials.

Heinrich Himmler, the head of the SS, said of the Totenkopf: "The Skull is the reminder that you shall always be willing to put your self at stake for the life of the whole community". he saw it as a symbol of solidarity to the cause and commitment even if it means death.

which given that the Proseks seem very enamored with Nazi Germany, Himmler's views on the imagery of the SS is probably why the Proseks adopted it.

and it is worth noting that the old CS army aesthetics were rather more subtle on the skull imagery. just helmet/head shape on most things, and even then it's not all that stylized.. it's the new stuff that is designed to look explicitly skeletal.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Karl Prosek is a witch. He's doing massive blood sacrifices to keep his demon overlords happy. It makes a lot of sense.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nightmask
Palladin

Mark Hall wrote:Karl Prosek is a witch. He's doing massive blood sacrifices to keep his demon overlords happy. It makes a lot of sense.

Would explain a lot, and not like it would be the first time the leader of a nation or city-state served some fell power where anyone killed by the nation would serve as a channel of PPE towards the fell power since the nation was effectively its agent even if they had no idea that they were. One of the Rifts: Mercenaries events dealt with an alien intelligence manipulating two rival towns in hopes that they'd go to war as the PPE from the deaths would let it full manifest on Rifts Earth even though neither group knew they were working in its service.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight

It's troubling, really, that Captain Gloval was a witch, trying to sacrifice the earth to his dark God Putin. Who would have suspected? But, thanks to Breetai's brilliant strategy, the end of the world happened before the summer solstice, and thus avoided the coming of the Rifts.

Everyone in Century Station rejoiced.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

It gives the enemy a seconds pause, that's all you need with an energy weapon.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

And it's very deliberate, because the CS were pretty obviously meant to be an unambiguous baddy side and Palladium wanted to give them a a suitably dark and evil looking motif.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I am not extensively educated with Robotech, could someone tell me if this skull and crossbones robot is on the good human side or the evil zentraedi side?

I still kinda think we're jumping to conclusions here considering the popularity of the skull motif amongst many US military troops.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight

Tor, the Jolly Roger flag's connotation has changed a great deal since the pirate days.

The Death Head was chosen for the fearsome purpose.

I think it's similar, personally, but the CS is modeled after Nazi Germany. That's stated and obvious.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Skulls are an ancient warrior motif (heck my unit in the U.S. Army used a skull) but the C.S. is pretty obviously a bit beyond that. Specifically they are quite obviously meant to evoke tons of the 'evil overlord' and 'Nazi badguys' with their stuff. I think its drawn more for the benefit of the player being able to recognize the obvious evil bad guy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... onvenience http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ingVillain )
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

As in Kev modeled them after them or as in Karl did? Wondering which context is specified where.

Hitler is only one of several whom Karl picks from in CWC so I'm not recalling it there.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:As in Kev modeled them after them or as in Karl did? Wondering which context is specified where.

Hitler is only one of several whom Karl picks from in CWC so I'm not recalling it there.

Both. I think Kev picked them and then used some in game justification for the design decision by having Karl emulate the Nazis.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alrik Vas
Knight

Pretty much what eliakon said. Kinda hard not to see it like that.

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Tor wrote:As in Kev modeled them after them or as in Karl did? Wondering which context is specified where.

When you get right down to it, Kevin Siembieda is Karl Prosek. Karl only says the words Kevin wants him to say; he only takes the actions Kevin wants him to take.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Tor wrote:I am not extensively educated with Robotech, could someone tell me if this skull and crossbones robot is on the good human side or the evil zentraedi side?

I still kinda think we're jumping to conclusions here considering the popularity of the skull motif amongst many US military troops.

Especially in regards to a japanese animation. :D
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Robotech is based on 4 (Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, ‎Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, Megazone 23) and Kev mentions changing the title of this RPG from Boomers>Rifts based on Bubblegum Crisis having "Boomer" villains, so he sounds like someone into 80s anime which could've influenced Rifts in some ways, like the popularity of giant robots or power armor suits or scantily clad ladies on the cover accompanying a tentacle monster.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

taalismn
Priest

Tor wrote: scantily clad ladies on the cover accompanying a tentacle monster.

...and you got half the hentai anime fanbase grabbed right there... :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

*discovers that this "Skull Knight" character in the manga/anime Berserk looks like a pretty cool guy*

Not going to post any video clips because all the ones I found look spoiler-ridden.

He is described as an "enigmatic figure who fights against evil."

Also worth noting the choice of logo for the Straw Hat Pirates, the heroes of One Piece happens to be, too.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I think we have drifted off topic. It was about why the CS uses them not how the US military uses them.
I should point out that it is not how it is used in real life but in a fantasy setting that should be looked at.

How often in popular fantasy is a scull motive used for good guys and how often for bad guys. That might explain why that people feel it shows the CS as evil.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nightmask
Palladin

Blue_Lion wrote:I think we have drifted off topic. It was about why the CS uses them not how the US military uses them.
I should point out that it is not how it is used in real life but in a fantasy setting that should be looked at.

How often in popular fantasy is a scull motive used for good guys and how often for bad guys. That might explain why that people feel it shows the CS as evil.

The skull motif probably is used more often for villains than heroes. The only example I can think of of heroes having a skull motif is Roy Fokker's Skull Squadron from Robotech/Macross, where it represented an elite unit skilled at taking out the enemy.

taalismn
Priest

Nightmask wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:I think we have drifted off topic. It was about why the CS uses them not how the US military uses them.

The skull motif probably is used more often for villains than heroes. The only example I can think of of heroes having a skull motif is Roy Fokker's Skull Squadron from Robotech/Macross, where it represented an elite unit skilled at taking out the enemy.

Subverted by Terry Pratchett. His Death is a pretty nice guy...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmask
Palladin

taalismn wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Subverted by Terry Pratchett. His Death is a pretty nice guy...

Well that's a different category, since he's not using a skull motif he's Death and Death is iconicly represented by a robed skeleton. Just like Ghost Rider doesn't have a skull motif he's also a skeleton (of the flaming variety): it's not a motif it's what he is.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nightmask wrote:The skull motif probably is used more often for villains than heroes. The only example I can think of of heroes having a skull motif is Roy Fokker's Skull Squadron from Robotech/Macross, where it represented an elite unit skilled at taking out the enemy.

Plus as mentioned before, IRL navy seals, Straw Hat Pirates, Skull Man, Cubone, Skull Knight. There's a bunch of stuff I don't know about so there's probably others.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Tor wrote:
Nightmask wrote:The skull motif probably is used more often for villains than heroes. The only example I can think of of heroes having a skull motif is Roy Fokker's Skull Squadron from Robotech/Macross, where it represented an elite unit skilled at taking out the enemy.

Plus as mentioned before, IRL navy seals, Straw Hat Pirates, Skull Man, Cubone, Skull Knight. There's a bunch of stuff I don't know about so there's probably others.

I am not sure it is an official icon representing the navy seal(if I recall right the worn symbol for a seal is a eagle on top of a anchor and trident holding a flint lock pistol). I do not even know of it is an official patch worn by use military with a skull.(on research there is a cow head that could be a skull used on 1 patch in the army) Could be like the most of the art made by service members to represent the unit, not official but an artist trying to come up with a cool symbol for there unit, some may be seen around the unit but they are not an official symbol used by the military.

Skull man is what is called a anti hero, so lacks many of the common hero and may not be considered "good" by PB standards his dark nature was controversial at the time of his creation.
Cubone is a pokemon not the best choice for showing a hero with a skull. ( I seam to remember some one saying Pokémon was short for pocket monster not sure how accurate that is.)
Not familiar with skull knight to make a judgment, quick search shows he is part of the berserker universe.
Straw hat pirates use the skull and cross bones as a symbol of pirates(one of its traditional association), but tone it down by placing a hat on it. The odd part about the show is the crew claim to be pirates but are do not act like pirates so may be a misapplied symbol.

But if you look at traditional use in fantasy it almost always is used by the bad guys. Such as the skellatons used to fight the heroes in Greek mythology.
In roll playing games Death in rifts Africa. The night lords thown Litch and death knights in D&D. The wall of bones in hell. All tie the use off dark imagery with typically evil.
In comics Red Skull, Cross Bones and task master in Marvel (note ghost Rider is demon of vengeance and is often shown as a anti hero not a "good guy" by PB standards punisher is another anti-hero that goes around killing people and has in a few comics taken pleasure in killing.)
He man is a bit odd the bad guy is a man with a skull Skellator while the place they protect is a skull castle. so letting the skull man get the big skull is a bad thing.

Wow without even trying I found more than you without resorting to Japans cartoons.
From japans animation we have the hair monster from Inuasua. The skull staff from fairy tail.

So the questions was is it more commonly associated with bad guys in story telling than good guys?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Glistam wrote:I just had a short conversation with a friend at work about the Coalition's use of skeletons in their robots and armor.

Him: Only bad guys use skeleton robots. The only things afraid of skeleton robots? Humans. "Hey! it's was the 80s" is the only excuse.
    Me: Monsters and demons like to think they can just kill humans wantonly. They slaughter, they consume, and they leave the broken bones of the fallen behind. The skeleton motif in the soldiers and robots is a statement. "Even reduced to bones, humanity will still fight back." It's also a metaphor, since humanity nearly went extinct - it was at a "bare bones" level of population before it began to rebound.
    Him: Did you just come up with that?
    Me: Yes.
    Him: /slowclap

Now, I thought there was an explanation of some kind given in the books, but I don't recall it right now. I doubt it was what I threw out in our conversation, above. I just thought I'd share and collect other's thoughts on the matter. Why does the Coalition use a skull and skeleton motif in its designs, when it's trying to strike fear in the enemies of humanity? Would they find skulls and bones frightening?

The problem with this line of reasoning is that it assumes the enemies of the Coalition States are the enemies of humanity (which is what the CS likes to claim) and the CS only worries about attacking monsters. The CS has attacked a number of human civilizations that were targeted because their existence interfered with the continued expansion of the Coalition States. There have also been untold numbers of mortal DBees attacked by the CS. Those latter two groups would definitely find the skeletal armour intimidating.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

taalismn wrote:

Bigger picture, more subtle magics. That's the deep dark secret. Everybody thinks of ritual magic as the sort you can wrap your mind around in terms of 'large roiom' or 'stadium'.
No, the HEAVY old magicks take place on a larger scale, so large even the participants might not be aware that they're in the middle of it. :twisted:

You raise a good point.

There are some members of the population, the fanatics, that believe so wholeheartedly in the doctrine they are provided one could almost classify it as worship.

So Death, or some type of God, could be fed by this and they could even bestow small amounts of power to the CS all without them even knowing it.

So they may not be actively praying/worshipping someone/thing but are doing so by their actions (wiping out all non humans and mages) and by their beliefs.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

My first role playing character was an Overlord who wore all Black and was recognizable for his Silver Skull helm.
He was often viewed as evil, sometimes mistakenly.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Blue_Lion wrote:I am not sure it is an official icon representing the navy seal(if I recall right the worn symbol for a seal is a eagle on top of a anchor and trident holding a flint lock pistol). I do not even know of it is an official patch worn by use military with a skull.(on research there is a cow head that could be a skull used on 1 patch in the army) Could be like the most of the art made by service members to represent the unit, not official but an artist trying to come up with a cool symbol for there unit, some may be seen around the unit but they are not an official symbol used by the military.

I am afraid you are incorrect Blue Lion. I know of numerous official US Military units, a few of which I served in which use insignia which incorporate Skulls. Off the top of my head this is what I could think of, I am sure there are more.

Being a former Light Armored Reconnaissance Marine I would be remiss to not first use 1st, 2nd and 3rd LAR Battalions all of which use skulls in their Unit Insignia

All 4 Marine Force Reconnaissance Battalions 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th prominently feature skulls.

USMC Special Operations Command (MARSOC) which has been redesigned Marine Raiders use the same skull unit insignia as the Marine Raiders of WWII that they take their name sake from.

USMC 1/9 "The Walking Dead" has long used a Grim Reaper but they were deactivated last year.

Probally most famous of all is the US Navy Strike Fighter Squadron 103 (VF-103) which obviously inspired Robotech's Skull Squadron.

My favorite British Unit The Royal Lancers, formerly the Queens Royal Lancers uses the "Death or Glory" cap badge and has since the Napoleonic era.
Last edited by Wooly on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Marines are more than intimidating enough especially enforce, skull patches are hardly noticed. It's the dark green that causes the enemy to flee and not engage.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

it is also worth noting that a skull on a patch is a fairly minor thing. patches are barely noticed in a fight.

but when you have skull faced armor with large red and white skull logo's, fighting alongside giant skull faced robots and robots that are giant metal skulls with guns sticking out and little robots that mechanical skeletons with sculpted skull faces and tanks designed with giant sculpted skull faces on the prow, supported by helicopters that are sculpted skulls with rotors and guns and aircraft with big white skulls painted over every available surface...

it takes on a more sinister feel.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

glitterboy2098 wrote:it is also worth noting that a skull on a patch is a fairly minor thing. patches are barely noticed in a fight.

but when you have skull faced armor with large red and white skull logo's, fighting alongside giant skull faced robots and robots that are giant metal skulls with guns sticking out and little robots that mechanical skeletons with sculpted skull faces and tanks designed with giant sculpted skull faces on the prow, supported by helicopters that are sculpted skulls with rotors and guns and aircraft with big white skulls painted over every available surface...

Yeah it goes from "unit insignia" to "primal theme of the entire force". I mean when the nick name for a CS person is "Dead Boy" (and that is the official name of the armor!) And virtually every weapon system has 'death' or 'skull' or 'skele' or the like in its name....

I am going to have to agree with Gliterboy here and say that it has gone past 'likes a skull mascot' and into 'necromanticly themed force'

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Soo, technically any death based intelligence could siphon off the ppe of coalition victims.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:Soo, technically any death based intelligence could siphon off the ppe of coalition victims.

No. Though if there was a specific intelligence/god/whatever manipulating the CS for its own ends it might be able to draw on the PPE. But simply because they have a death fetish doesn't mean that their kills are 'dedicated to death' for lack of a better term.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

eliakon wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:it is also worth noting that a skull on a patch is a fairly minor thing. patches are barely noticed in a fight.

Yeah it goes from "unit insignia" to "primal theme of the entire force". I mean when the nick name for a CS person is "Dead Boy" (and that is the official name of the armor!) And virtually every weapon system has 'death' or 'skull' or 'skele' or the like in its name....

I am going to have to agree with Gliterboy here and say that it has gone past 'likes a skull mascot' and into 'necromanticly themed force'

yeah. the CS's army is like the Spam skit from monty python, only replace the world 'spam" with "skulls", and have the little old lady who doesn't like spam black-bagged and carried off by the ISS...

skulls skulls skulls skulls. Lovely skulls! Wonderful skulls! skulls sk-u-u-u-lls! skulls sk-u-u-u-lls! skulls. Lovely skulls! Lovely skulls! Lovely skulls! Lovely skulls! Lovely skulls! skulls skulls skulls skulls!

even warhammer 40K didn't take it's skull obsession as far as the CS did..

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
eliakon wrote:

yeah. the CS's army is like the Spam skit from monty python, only replace the world 'spam" with "skulls", and have the little old lady who doesn't like spam black-bagged and carried off by the ISS...

skulls skulls skulls skulls. Lovely skulls! Wonderful skulls! skulls sk-u-u-u-lls! skulls sk-u-u-u-lls! skulls. Lovely skulls! Lovely skulls! Lovely skulls! Lovely skulls! Lovely skulls! skulls skulls skulls skulls!

even warhammer 40K didn't take it's skull obsession as far as the CS did..

Violent? Check
Skull fetish? Double Check
Loathes magic? Check
Hmmmmmm
The secret cult sponsor of the CS is Khorne?

Alrik Vas
Knight

Khorne Flakes are the best.

Return to “Rifts®”